Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 3.0 TDi Quattro

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Surely if your going for a 3.0l diesel then BMW's N57 with 245bhp is unbeatable for economy and refinement?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Wailin wrote: »
    Surely if your going for a 3.0l diesel then BMW's N57 with 245bhp is unbeatable for economy and refinement?

How are these in terms of reliability in bi turbo and triple turbo forms?
    I'd have serious fears over the likelihood of these producing large repair bills.

mickdw wrote: »
    I'd have serious fears over the likelihood of these producing large repair bills.

No more so than an Audi 3.0l I'd guess, plus if it was a 2012/13 model not much could really go wrong with it. They've been around awhile now and are more reliable than the N47.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Wailin wrote: »
    plus if it was a 2012/13 model not much could really go wrong with it.

I don't share your optimism where bmw is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

mickdw wrote: »

I'd be more worried about the timing chain, since it's the same engine as the N47 (just with two extra cylinders), it is prone to the problem. Not to the same extent of course, since the vast majority of N57s are automatic, and of course being a six cylinder engine it is far smoother running, but it's still something to be concerned about.

• Advertisement

I'd be more worried about the timing chain, since it's the same engine as the N47 (just with two extra cylinders), it is prone to the problem. Not to the same extent of course, since the vast majority of N57s are automatic, and of course being a six cylinder engine it is far smoother running, but it's still something to be concerned about.

The timing chain problem has been around since 2008. Surely BMW would have designed the whole chain mechanism so it isn't a problem from at least 2012 onwards?

What does auto trans have to do with timing chain issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Augeo wrote: »
    What does auto trans have to do with timing chain issues?

I was going to query the same point myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

166man wrote: »
    I was going to query the same point myself...

There was a general consensus on BMW forums that the well-known BMW timing chain issues were worse on manual cars, particularly those that had been driven enthusiastically.

Whether it's based on any science or data I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm far from a reg snob as I already traded sideways 2 years ago to the 5er, a 7er is just too big for me.

If you look on the Q&A on honestjohn there is a guy emailing in who is wondering whether he should change his A6 3.0 TDI SE 245 S-tronic estate at three years. 26k miles and full Audi SH! Maybe you should drop him a line!

• Advertisement
Advertisement