Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 3.0 TDi Quattro

Options
  • 24-02-2016 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭

Might go look at one of these so does anyone have any experience of them? It's the current C7 model A6 circa 2012/2013, S Line with the lower tuned 205bhp engine but these cars are thin on the ground so still worth a look at.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Nice cars
    But lots will tell you to hold out for the higher powered version.
    Engine will be very smooth but I don't think you will find it appreciably quicker day to day than your 520.
    If it's the one Morrissons are selling , I would check it actually is the Quattro as the pics they have up would indicate it is just the front drive multitronic model. Usually there is a Quattro symbol in the grille and dash and I don't see that visible.
    I think they are replacing the A 6 next year too with an all new model.
    I had an older model A6 3.0 tdi Quattro and was very sorry to part with it. They give you great confidence all weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a6/used-2012-audi-a6-3-0-tdi-313-qua-dublin-fpa-200714553719586630

Go on, go on, go on.

Suspiciously high number of owners for a 4 year old car - I suspect some of that may have been to avoid back taxing?

I've seen that car very frequently, local to me - pretty sure it used to belong to someone involved in the Boyne Valley Hotel as it was always in / out of there so I don't think it's been passed around as much as the 4 previous owners listed suggest.

If you can find one, the 245 ps version is the one to go for, but the 204ps quattro isn't a bad compromise. Wouldn't be substantially quicker than a 520d as already mentioned, but it does have a much more relaxed power delivery from the larger engine.

While the S-Line is a stonking looking car, if there are any nicely specced SE models I wouldn't be afraid of one of those - should be much cheaper to buy, but will obviously be worth less come trade in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks guys, it's not the one in Morrison's, I'm not gone on the wheels on that one. This is the one I was looking at but it's a fair distance from me:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/3.0-TDI/201014522599731480/

I also spotted this one which is closer to me but it doesn't look like it's Quattro and has the multi-tronic cvt box rather than S-tronic:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/V6-3.0/200814422287184060/

I read the weight of the 6 pot engine on the non Quattro version actually ruins the overall balance of the car so don't see the point in it, might as well look at the 4 pots then with more choice and better resale value.

Actually is there a simple way of telling the difference between multi-tronic and s-tronic? I know with the older VWs the DSG boxes had it written on the shifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I had no idea the 3.0 TDIs were 204bhp, that's very poor isn't it? What's the output for the higher tuned engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had no idea the 3.0 TDIs were 204bhp, that's very poor isn't it? What's the output for the higher tuned engine?

It was 204/245/313

Since the facelift it's now 218/272/320

The FWD 3.0Tdi 204ps is a great motorway cruiser, but it's a bit of a pig and urban roads - small roundabouts aren't great fun as it tries to dump all the torque through the fronts on the way off the roundabout, TC cuts the power and the Multitronic takes it's time to figure out what's going on.

• Advertisement

265bhp and 313bhp.

To be fair the 204bhp is the same that BMW were offering in the old 6 pot 525d. The newer 4 pot 525d has 220bhp.

Just looking at general specs on used A6s and they are quite poor imo compared to similar 5 Series. Manual front seat adjustment bar electric lumbar support. Adaptive headlights, larger infotainment screen and power folding mirrors are rare enough to find too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Mightn't be your thing, but theres better value in the UK for A6s lately. Even after VRT there are substantial savings to be had!

Re dsg vs. multitronic on these, all front wheel drive autos are cvt multitronic while the addition of Quattro means the dsg is fitted. Don't buy non Quattro.
    I actually doubt you will enjoy this car any more than your 5 series unless you go for the higher power model tbh.

I think I need to start a recommend me a car thread as I'm really stumped with what to replace my F10 with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

bazz26 wrote: »
    265bhp and 313bhp.

To be fair the 204bhp is the same that BMW were offering in the old 6 pot 525d. The newer 4 pot 525d has 220bhp.

Just looking at general specs on used A6s and they are quite poor imo compared to similar 5 Series. Manual front seat adjustment bar electric lumbar support. Adaptive headlights, larger infotainment screen and power folding mirrors are rare enough to find too.

Yeah specs on the A6 werent great in 12/13 - that changed on PI in later 14. They were priced well lower than the 5er but didnt have the same equipment levels. Nav will generally be in packages on most cars. Xenon was standard on S Line. Power seats and power folding mirrors rarely ordered options on A6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Thanks guys, it's not the one in Morrison's, I'm not gone on the wheels on that one. This is the one I was looking at but it's a fair distance from me:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/3.0-TDI/201014522599731480/

I also spotted this one which is closer to me but it doesn't look like it's Quattro and has the multi-tronic cvt box rather than S-tronic:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/V6-3.0/200814422287184060/

I read the weight of the 6 pot engine on the non Quattro version actually ruins the overall balance of the car so don't see the point in it, might as well look at the 4 pots then with more choice and better resale value.

Actually is there a simple way of telling the difference between multi-tronic and s-tronic? I know with the older VWs the DSG boxes had it written on the shifter.

All A4, Q5 and up quattros will be 7-speed longitudinal S-tronic/DSG or 8-speed Tiptronic for the 300hp+ engines. Absolutely vital that the S-tronic boxes have their 60k km oil and filter changes.

As you say sadly quattros are so rare in Ireland, I drove a 2013 A6 245 with the sport diff in the UK, fantastic car. You could maybe look at A7s, they are the same platform as the A6 but are wider. Sadly I can't fit an A6/A7 in the garage though (I now have an A5 coupe 245 S-tronic quattro).

New B9 A4 may be worth a look. Lovely interior. 218 V6 virtually the same economy as the 4-pot (in the tests anyway!).

I think I need to start a recommend me a car thread as I'm really stumped with what to replace my F10 with.

Did you ever go and look at the focus ST you were thinking of?

3 series xDrive?

Pity you can't get the 5 series xDrive in RHD.

carsfan wrote: »
    Did you ever go and look at the focus ST you were thinking of?

Nope, with my F10 as a trade-in, I was never going to get the benefit of the discount that Ford were offering so the full 37k+ for a Focus ST (no matter how good the performance) didn't sit well with me. Resale value would be a concern too as a fast Focus won't have the same desirability as say a GTi on the used car market. Also the Focus interior is bit of a letdown for me.
    3 series xDrive?

I sat in an F30 at a dealers the other day and honestly wasn't gone on the downgrade in quality compared to the F10. The 4 Series Gran Coupe is a beautiful car but they are too new and expensive for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

3 series xDrive?

They'll surely fix that when the G30 comes out next year, a fair few 3 series sold in the UK have xDrive (and of course, the 335d is xDrive only since the F30 came out) so I can't see how they'd continue to deny this option for right hand drive markets. The other advantage of having xDrive on the 5 series was they stuck with hydraulic power steering (only rear wheel drive F10s have EPS), though I'd imagine every G30 will use electric power steering, unfortunately.

Back to the OP: what about a V6 Jaguar XF (if you can find one, that is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I have the 245bhp engine in an Audi A7 quattro, and its certainly worth holding out for that engine above the 204bhp - that little bit extra power just sits better with the car

A7 is nice but they are more expensive than the A6, even non Quottro versions.

They usually have a high spec though, and are a monster of a car. Great buy at 2-3 years old, but I'd only go for Audi approved used with the year warranty.

A7 is gorgeous but huge and as you say even more expensive than A6.
    How about merc cls 250/350cdi ?
    Looks good and more affordable at a couple of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

How about holding tough for the new CC, I know that's a while but worth thinking about.

• Advertisement

carsfan wrote: »
    A7 is gorgeous but huge and as you say even more expensive than A6.
    How about merc cls 250/350cdi ?
    Looks good and more affordable at a couple of years old.

Looked at the CLS and it's a lovely car but 2013 examples are still asking low to mid 40k, CLS350 are even more money.
    Truckermal wrote: »
    How about holding tough for the new CC, I know that's a while but worth thinking about.

VWs are out unfortunately as they are magnets for the unwashed down this way, my last CC was targeted by tarmac mechanics as MuppetCheck would say, otherwise I'd have a Golf GTi in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looked at the CLS and it's a lovely car but 2013 examples are still asking low to mid 40k, CLS350 are even more money.

VWs are out unfortunately as they are magnets for the unwashed down this way, my last CC was targeted by tarmac mechanics as MuppetCheck would say, otherwise I'd have a Golf GTi in a heartbeat.

Thinking about the CLS 350 myself. I'd be happy with 2011 or so.
    They can be quite stunning.

Well for me my current car is 2011 so I'd have to be trading up to something at least 2 years younger or else I might as well keep what have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Well if you're going to spend that sort of money on a car don't mind the reg, get the best 7 series you can and be done with it.:D All the F10 in the world and A6 will pale into insignificance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well if you're going to spend that sort of money on a car don't mind the reg, get the best 7 series you can and be done with it.:D All the F10 in the world and A6 will pale into insignificance.

You have a point to be honest.
    Beautiful cars and probably well priced versus a similar spec 530d at 3 or 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

With the way sterling has gone they are great value in the UK at the moment, if that is a route you could consider. Mine is a 12 plate & I would suspect it is now worth about the same than the 2 A6s you lined (albeit a year older).

I'm far from a reg snob as I already traded sideways 2 years ago to the 5er, a 7er is just too big for me.

Bazz
    What are your requirements?
    Space,economy,performance,prestige badge?
    Max mileage budget?
    I'm sure boards people can suggest everything from Dacia dusters to Bentley continentals?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not sure of others opinions here on the A6, but picked up one recently and find the position of pedals right of centre and find myself having to sit as far right as possible on the seat to sit as neutral as possible
    Obviously you cant do this for very long and then I end up sitting with my hips slightly twisted and it plays havoc with my bad back

other than that they are a lovely place to sit, but I would prefer a quattro

• Advertisement

bf wrote: »
    With the way sterling has gone they are great value in the UK at the moment............

Sterling won't be getting stronger over the coming 3/6 months :)

Advertisement