Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother of five recovering from cancer taken to jail after not paying her tv license

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

kbannon wrote: »

(I'd be curious to know if she had Sky!)
    Hopefully ye can find out.

and here we have another of the ' FCUK'EM why should i pay' brigade

Yes and here we have another of boards pretend perfect citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes and here we have another of boards pretend perfect citizens.
    far from perfect but i pay my bills and if i cant afford something , i do without

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hopefully ye can find out.

Are you referring to her claim that she didn't have channels and it was only for the kids to link the laptop up to it?
    As she is a proven cheat, should I accept her flimsy defence to the licence inspectors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Bet she was well enough to collect the 5 X children's' allowances whilst she was getting all the reminders and summons for the tv license.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Are you referring to her claim that she didn't have channels and it was only for the kids to link the laptop up to it?
    As she is a proven cheat, should I accept her flimsy defence to the licence inspectors?

Im referring to you wanting to now if she had sky.

Valetta wrote: »
    Bet she was well enough to collect the 5 X children's' allowances whilst she was getting all the reminders and summons for the tv license.

I got a reminder last week. I almost forgot about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I got a reminder last week. I almost forgot about it.

Did you get a second reminder, and a summons, and a fine, and forget about them all?

Valetta wrote: »
    Did you get a second reminder, and a summons, and a fine, and forget about them all?

One reminder before the old licence was out, and another now a few weeks after its out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

kneemos wrote: »
    No.She would have gone to the prison from court,filled in a few forms and let go.She is in no way by any imagination a prisoner,she did not spend time in prison and she can't serve more time than the original sentence.Also she was in a cell to watch telly.

She would not have gone to prison from a court. She would have received a fine to be paid within a period of time maybe 2 months, with a number of days in lieu of payment. When she didn't pay on time a warrant would have been issued for her arrest. She would most likely have been arrested at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭marsbar1

Blah blah RTE drivel blah blah.

You don't pay for a TV license to watch RTE.

You pay a TV license to have a TV.

Watch what you want but if that's via a TV, you need a license.

Everything else, from cancer to Tubridy's salary has NOTHING to do with whether or not you are legally obligated to pay for the license.

So you are telling me that to watch TV from Spain, France or anywhere outside Ireland via foreign satellites you need an irish TV licence? Just to own a TV set you need a licence? Its that really Irish law? Point me to the law. The policy is obviously not working as Irish TV licence 'evasion' is 3 times higher than in the UK.

In the UK you need a licence for watching or recording TV as it is being broadcast. This also applies to foriegn TV. It is totally wrong to be charged for foriegn TV outside the UK juristriction but that is what the communications act 2003 says in law. However you do not need a licence to possess a TV. You can legally watch DVDs, videos, you tube, downloads, play video games on it without a licence. In the UK this is called being legally licence free, and its growing in popularity.

For those interested look at www.bbctvlicence.com

TV licence model is outdated, it should be replaced with a subscription system - fairer, impossible to evade and no enforcement costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

marsbar1 wrote: »

TV licence model is outdated, it should be replaced with a subscription system - fairer, impossible to evade and no enforcement costs.

Because subsriptions to countless tv programmes with Vogue Williams and Des Bishop will easily pay the 400k salaries to Tubridy et al

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

I will never get a tv as I don't believe RTE is worth the €
    I'm not paying Tubridys mad wages and his relatives working at RTE

When you buy a TV your name can sometimes be given to the licence auth.
    I had a new flat mate from the uk who just moved to ire and bought a tv.
    Week later - tv licence req in his name arrived !
    Beware

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look folks (sorry didn't read entire thread).

You just have to listen to that fella with the hat that goes to the prison gates etc. what's his name? he used to have a little dog aswell. Name escapes me now.

Many many people who really don't care about it will go to prison instead of paying fines. They know the score, a couple of hours, a nice bit of dinner and off you go. Fine wiped.

Why would they pay if it's so simple not to.

Should be attached at a few euro a week to earnings or SW. So simple.

worded wrote: »
    I will never get a tv as I don't believe RTE is worth the €
    I'm not paying Tubridys mad wages and his relatives working at RTE

When you buy a TV your name can sometimes be given to the licence auth.
    I had a new flat mate from the uk who just moved to ire and bought a tv.
    Week later - tv licence req in his name arrived !
    Beware

There are ways around that, don't get a TV from a shop. In the UK they will always take your details for TVL if you buy a TV. Its a big part of their enforcement database.

You just have to listen to that fella with the hat that goes to the prison gates etc. what's his name? he used to have a little dog aswell. Name escapes me now.

Many many people who really don't care about it will go to prison instead of paying fines. They know the score, a couple of hours, a nice bit of dinner and off you go. Fine wiped.

Shame its not longer inside. You get shelter, free heating, food, and more rights than many workers with mobile phones and internet, gym all on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Two things. Many on Social Welfare automatically now get a free licence..

also will the lady now have to buy a licence as well as pay the fine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

So you are telling me that to watch TV from Spain, France or anywhere outside Ireland via foreign satellites you need an irish TV licence? Just to own a TV set you need a licence? Its that really Irish law? Point me to the law.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1926/act/45/section/3/enacted/en/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Graces7 wrote: »

Err is it not just OAP and disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Err is it not just OAP and disabled.

Not sure; It comes with the Household Benefit package is all i know know and many are eligible for that.

There you are

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/household_benefits_package.html

I had it way before I was 70 but am disabled as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    People having sympathy for a person that deliberately and knowingly dodged tax?

Entitled Ireland rearing it's ugly head yet again.

See, this is interesting. I remember a page in the Irish times some year ago, which I think was absolutely genius. The main story was about the revenue commissioners writing off something like €3m owed in tax by some one, possibly Albert Reynolds. That story took up all the page, apart from one small section. That small section was a story about a mother of 2 jailed for not paying her TV licence. Perhaps we, or the state, only has sympathy for tax dodgers when it is in the millions...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So you are telling me that to watch TV from Spain, France or anywhere outside Ireland via foreign satellites you need an irish TV licence? Just to own a TV set you need a licence? Its that really Irish law? Point me to the law. The policy is obviously not working as Irish TV licence 'evasion' is 3 times higher than in the UK.
    From citizensinformation.ie:
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial.

The Broadcasting Act 2009 contains the current legislation relating to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The judiciary in this country are fcuked up beyond belief. Muggers thieves burglars, violent criminals with numerous convictions are let off on suspended sentences every day of the week but fail to pay a stupid tv licence and your imprisoned. Judges are pathetic despicable cretins with absolutely no grasp of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »

OAP and Disabled. Most on SW do not get a free TV licence.

Yes, of course she has to buy a licence in addition to the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The judiciary in this country are fcuked up beyond belief. Muggers thieves burglars, violent criminals with numerous convictions are let off on suspended sentences every day of the week but fail to pay a stupid tv licence and your imprisoned. Judges are pathetic despicable cretins with absolutely no grasp of reality.
    I'm afraid you're the one with no grasp on reality.

These people go to prison for ignoring a court order to pay a fine. You know, the courts, the things which underpin the entire justice model.
    If the courts were ordering fines and there was no penalty for ignoring them, then you make the court system utterly pointless. Why would anyone pay a fine if the courts had no way to take further action?

Whatever about the existence of a licence or the penalties for not having one, that's irrelevant. The courts apply the law, they don't make it.

If this kind of thing annoys you, then complain to your TD. The judge is doing exactly what he is supposed to do by applying the law. If he just picked and chose what laws to apply, we'd have a much bigger problem on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

seamus wrote: »
    Whatever about the existence of a licence or the penalties for not having one, that's irrelevant. The courts apply the law, they don't make it.

If this kind of thing annoys you, then complain to your TD. The judge is doing exactly what he is supposed to do by applying the law. If he just picked and chose what laws to apply, we'd have a much bigger problem on our hands.

That's just perfect world bullshít.
    Practically all courts in this country are run at the whim of the judge in charge. Catch them in a bad mood or he takes a dislike to you for whatever reason and you're fúcked plain and simple.
    That's the reason why so many insurance claims for example are settled on the steps of the court - both sides know it's just out and out gambling to walk inside, absolutely anything could happen, there is no way of predicting the outcome.

Anyway back on topic - I personally refuse to pay for a tv licence - I have never had one and I never will have. Just look at what they piss that money away on - 40grand a day for the poxy orchestra!
    40. Grand. A Day....:eek:
    Then you've the tubridys and the joe duffys and the usual little clique of "talent".

No thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

.....I personally refuse to pay for a tv licence - I have never had one and I never will have. .......

Did you tell the tv licence inspector this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Bring RTE down to a 1 tv station, 1 radio station publicly funded company with no 'celebrity' salaries. Pure public service broadcaster.

If there is a market in ireland for the rest of the gumph that RTE produce then that gap will be filled soon enough by company who is able to wipe it's own face.

Get rid of the tv licence all together. Costs too much to administer and is an out dated model.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

gctest50 wrote: »
    Did you tell the tv licence inspector this ?

Must have slipped my mind:)

If they simply said - rte is going to be scrambled would you like to pay 180 or whatever it is to decode it, do you think many people would avail of the offer? It's less than €4 a week, but do you think it's worth it? I certainly don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Must have slipped my mind:)

If they simply said - rte is going to be scrambled would you like to pay 180 or whatever it is to decode it, do you think many people would avail of the offer? It's less than €4 a week, but do you think it's worth it? I certainly don't.

How much does the Department of Education, or Health, cost each person per week? How many people do you think would pay that, if given the choice...?

MrP

Advertisement