Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I dunno what way the commute is or how long it takes? 1.5 hours or so each way?

That's not that much more than a lot of people commute into Dublin city centre from the outer suburbs though. Did it myself for years. To be in for 9AM, I needed to leave not much after 7:30 and that was with a parking spot. And it will cost woppers less than a Dublin bus fare each day :D

At least on a bus you can chill and even brows the web, worth paying more for really if you don't mind such transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭woppers

Pure madness isn't the word ye head case..... :D

That kind of driving is just mad, life is short enough, ;)

I do agree that life is too short but it's my only option at the moment.

I get a day to work from home a week which takes the sting out of it. Hopefully in time I'll get another day or 2 and then I'll be elected :)

At least on a bus you can chill and even brows the web, worth paying more for really if you don't mind such transport.

Active cruise + LKAS does help, it's great on busy motorways, but I bet woppers can't wait for fully autonomous driving :p

Apparently the hardware is all there. But I'd say the software won't be ready for years...

unkel wrote: »
    I dunno what way the commute is or how long it takes? 1.5 hours or so each way?

That's not that much more than a lot of people commute into Dublin city centre from the outer suburbs though. Did it myself for years. To be in for 9AM, I needed to leave not much after 7:30 and that was with a parking spot. And it will cost woppers less than a Dublin bus fare each day :D

1hr 20 minutes in the morning. 1hr 30-45 minutes in the evening depending on traffic.

One guy I used to work with took 1hr 30 minutes to get from the north side of Dublin to our workplace. I could get from Wexford our work place 10 minutes quicker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Mope wrote: »
    Just glanced at my ODO this morning... it was an OMG momemt ;]
    2 months ownership (since 11th of April) and I have 6500 KM on clock already :] If this continues by end of year I will have 24k+ KM.

and this is not counting the fact I stopped doing Mountain Biking for last 4 months if not more due to my baby :-] (and that's easily around 100km per day to get to Ticknock or Ballinastoe). Savings on car a just amazing.

I don't even care about resale value at this moment, I know it will be small as new, bigger batteries will come out in a year or so. What is your take on it, owners :-)

I'm Lovin it. Had mine since January 15th, and have 16659km done at 12.8kwh/100km. Had some good long drives in that time, and gotten used to the cruise control which I'd never used before. Can't ever see myself wanting to buy an ICE again.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

I tried the bus from Wexford to Dublin and back to Wexford for 2 months so that I could relax and save some money.

The cost of the 2.0 TDi Audi A4 was €400 a month on fuel and on average €400 a month on servicing costs. Total cost of €800 a month give or take and it took 3h to 3h and 15 minutes a day commuting.

Wexford Bus tax saver ticket cost me €120 a month but the commute increased to nearly 6 hours a day door to door.

I was depressed out of my tree after 2 months on the bus. I decided that €800 a month was the best option for me, my family and my sanity.

Now the Ioniq repayments a month are €405 + around €30 a month in electricity! :D

It's the best option I have financially and time wise.

Active cruise + LKAS does help, it's great on busy motorways, but I bet woppers can't wait for fully autonomous driving :p

Apparently the hardware is all there. But I'd say the software won't be ready for years...

You're dead right :) I was hoping to hold out for a Tesla Model 3 but it'll be a couple of years at least before I can get one of them.

Hopefully they'll be fully autonomous in the near future.

I saw that video I think you posted about the Ioniq full autonomous driving. I'd kill for that feature right now :)

For the moment the active cruise control + LAS is as good as I can get. It really does make driving more relaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

One of my first trips when I get mine will be north Dublin to tramore....

Obviously I'm apprehensive I'll make it on one charge but unless I'm mistaken I don't see quick charge anywhere on the way... Says it's 197km on phone so reckon I'll need a stop.

Suggestions?

Obviously I'm apprehensive I'll make it on one charge but unless I'm mistaken I don't see quick charge anywhere on the way... Says it's 197km on phone so reckon I'll need a stop.

Suggestions?

If you stick to 100kph you should easily make it. There's a fast charger in Waterford so you could top up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

woppers wrote: »
    I tried the bus from Wexford to Dublin and back to Wexford for 2 months so that I could relax and save some money.

The cost of the 2.0 TDi Audi A4 was €400 a month on fuel and on average €400 a month on servicing costs. Total cost of €800 a month give or take and it took 3h to 3h and 15 minutes a day commuting.

Wexford Bus tax saver ticket cost me €120 a month but the commute increased to nearly 6 hours a day door to door.

I was depressed out of my tree after 2 months on the bus. I decided that €800 a month was the best option for me, my family and my sanity.

Now the Ioniq repayments a month are €405 + around €30 a month in electricity! :D

It's the best option I have financially and time wise.

That's who EV's suit at the moment

The crazy commuters

Your saving a fortune

Can the Ioniq make that journey without charging? If you drive real efficiently?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thierry14 wrote: »

The crazy commuters

Your saving a fortune

Can the Ioniq make that journey without charging? If you drive real efficiently?

They suit far more than that btw.

It's just he is making more of a saving that's the only difference

thierry14 wrote: »

The crazy commuters

Your saving a fortune

If I really really tried I'd say I could do the 242km on a single charge but I'd probably have to stick to 80kph the whole way up and down.

If I couldn't charge in work I'd say maybe 10-15 minutes at a fast charger might give me enough juice to get up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Suggestions?

If it it was me I'd leave the house with 100%, stick to 100km/h max on the M1/M50/N7 and see what you have approaching Naas. Anything over 90% at Naas and you'll be fine to proceed at 120km/h to Tramore. Realistically you'll probably just need a short top-up at Naas FCP and you'll be laughing. 150km at 120km/h in the Ioniq is no bother especially in summer.

As woppers mentioned there's a FCP in Waterford which is conveniently located on your route to Tramore so worst case scenario you can top-up there again or just top-up for the sake of it. I used it at the weekend, small Top petrol station with a seated area, handy for a coffee while charging. Just beware of the picnic bench bolted to the ground in the left space at the FCP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

(UPDATE)
    I found a dealer who is happy to help with my scrappage problem, even offered to sell me one of the old cars they have there.

So the only thing to decide is if I want to wait till October for the Marina blue or take the black version they are getting mid July....

Result :D

A lot of people didn't believe me it could be done, but I'm glad you did!

Both lovely colours, if it was me I wouldn't wait and go for the black

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I too wouldn't wait :-]

Yes, Blue would be a color you would stand out in the crowd with BUT driving an EV you already a pioneer in the country :D

Look at stats of how many cars are out there on the roads!

Had a good look at charging near full this morning and the car was still taking >25kW at 92%. After that it tapered off quickly till it ticks off at 94%. If you're in a hurry you can switch it off yourself before that of course, but for the sake of 2 minutes (sitting playing on my phone in the airconditioned car after having had breakfast and coffee almost for free taking into account the free electricity :p) I think I won't bother doing that anymore as it is less work to let it finish itself :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Had a good look at charging near full this morning and the car was still taking >25kW at 92%. After that it tapered off quickly till it ticks off at 94%. If you're in a hurry you can switch it off yourself before that of course, but for the sake of 2 minutes (sitting playing on my phone in the airconditioned car after having had breakfast and coffee almost for free taking into account the free electricity :p) I think I won't bother doing that anymore as it is less work to let it finish itself :D

We do the same, saves having to get the eCar card from behind the sun visor and swiping the machine.

Yeah the thing that impressed me the most about the Ioniq was the speed of charging.

• Advertisement

Talking of charging, I haven't received my ESB NFC card yet so I tried to use one of my bank cards first the craic but it wouldn't work at a charging point in Wexford.

One side seemed to accept the card but wouldn't detect the car to charge. The other side of the machine told me that I didn't have a valid card.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

woppers wrote: »
    Talking of charging, I haven't received my ESB NFC card yet so I tried to use one of my bank cards first the craic but it wouldn't work at a charging point in Wexford.

One side seemed to accept the card but wouldn't detect the car to charge. The other side of the machine told me that I didn't have a valid card.

Email them. I emailed them the day before I collected the car, before I had ever registered for the home charge point.

Card arrived the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jaysus, my Leaf is down around 2-3kWh after 90%.

Major attraction of the newer technology that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

One of the caveats charging on the public network: You spend a fiver on food/coffee and get 1.50's worth of electricity. Cheaper to charge at home!

Very true! And you are obviously very familiar with our local FCP: supermarket with cafe, Starbucks, McDonalds, Pizza place, Mao takeaway etc. And I've 3 very demanding kids :p

Email them. I emailed them the day before I collected the car, before I had ever registered for the home charge point.

+1

I had night meter a couple of days after I ordered my car. My eCard a few days later. Then my free charge point a month or so later, still many weeks before I actually got my car. When it got a little bit quiet about the charge point, I sent eCars a robust email and got a call from the installer within the hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Very true! And you are obviously very familiar with our local FCP: supermarket with cafe, Starbucks, McDonalds, Pizza place, Mao takeaway etc. And I've 3 very demanding kids :p

I am, and it's the reason I don't charge there much any more! I've also started bringing a bottle of water with me when on longer journeys, to resist the temptation of buying coffee that I don't really want during the 15 or 20 minutes I'm at an FCP.

I always bring water with me and almost never buy a drink / coffee / snack out for myself. The joys of having a decent espresso maker and a freezer with lots of ice cubes :)

Today I made an exception with a €3 McD breakfast incl coffee, car was almost empty so I guess at night rates I sucked up about €1.90, so it was a fairly cheap outing :p

Thanks man :) I'll do that now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Result :D

A lot of people didn't believe me it could be done, but I'm glad you did!

Both lovely colours, if it was me I wouldn't wait and go for the black

I would agree with what you say but I'm wondering when the next upgrade in battery capacity for the "Ioniq will be..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement