Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link Archer C7 AC cable router - 70 Euro PC World

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

It says v2 on the box, beside the barcode

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Question from a Luddite - what is this thing and why would I want one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

clancger wrote: »
    It says v2 on the box, beside the barcode
    thanks 4 that

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Question from a Luddite - what is this thing and why would I want one?

its basically a fancier router for your home than the one you will get with your internet provider.

For many people the sheer volume of devices using the internet in the house has got so large that they need to put a bit more money into the device that directs/routes these onto the internet (it also improves how they to talk to one another. For example streaming music or video from say a laptop to a tablet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

bk wrote: »
    While it will not help give you broadband speeds if you are on Vodafone, it can help speed up your internal network.

For example transfers between laptop and a NAS or smart TV.

Not for most people, but very important for power users.

Exactly. The only thing limited by the 100Mbit ethernet is the WAN connection. For all other internal networking I connect to the ports on the C7. It's made the network really rock solid and very fast. Great device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

its basically a fancier router for your home than the one you will get with your internet provider.

For many people the sheer volume of devices using the internet in the house has got so large that they need to put a bit more money into the device that directs/routes these onto the internet (it also improves how they to talk to one another. For example streaming music or video from say a laptop to a tablet.)

Thanks for that, don't think this is something I need to worry about then, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

its basically a fancier router for your home than the one you will get with your internet provider....

Also UPC used to supply very poor wifi routers. Many people had to get their own to get a decent wifi signal and speed. Thats why I got it. Also I want better parental features.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Was in Swords and Airside yesterday and they had a C7 in each on the shelf - still at €70

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anyone know if there is any in Carlow? I'm in Kildare but there's none in naas.

They have the Archer C8 on amazon at the moment for 74 sterling with free supersaver delivery (also one left in amazon warehouse deals for 64 sterling).

25 euro more expensive - however it has a usb 3.0 port (if you are planning on using this to serve a media/usb drive). And a faster processor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C8-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00OZG8ZDO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=31v3mmd-G8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=00TQA84JK6XXZ5K4TVKS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

They have the Archer C8 on amazon at the moment for 74 sterling with free supersaver delivery (also one left in amazon warehouse deals for 64 sterling). 25 euro more expensive - however it has a usb 3.0 port (if you are planning on using this to serve a media/usb drive). And a faster processor.

....and you don't have to deal with PCWord / Currys, which may be the biggest pro of that offer.

zom wrote: »
    ....and you don't have to deal with PCWord / Currys, which may be the biggest pro of that offer.

Strange thing is that the C7 is more expensive on amazon than the C8 - however looking at the specs - it doesn't make sense really.

Anyhow I would tend to agree that purchasing from Amazon is better :-) however I guess some people like the whole bricks and mortar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

C8 doesnt support openwrt FYI.

djmarkus wrote: »
    C8 doesnt support openwrt FYI.

I hadn't realised that thanks

In terms of a comparison/discussion between the two there's one below

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/archer-c7-vs-c8.24697/

Advertisement