Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link Archer C7 AC cable router - 70 Euro PC World

Options
  • 17-02-2016 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Just picked up an Archer C7 in PC World Liffey Valley for 70 Euro. Seems a good price for a well received cable AC router. It's Version 2, looks like it can run Open-WRT and DD-WRT for those who might want a more in-depth user interface.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just make sure it is the Version 2 one you buy. The Version 1 is buggy and doesn't work properly with Apple devices.

Excellent device and very good price, I have one myself and highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

bk wrote: »
    Just make sure it is the Version 2 one you buy. The Version 1 is buggy and doesn't work properly with Apple devices.

Excellent device and very good price, I have one myself and highly recommend it.

I gave your sticky thread in broadband a read before getting it:pac:. I made sure it was Version 2 ;) Being DD-WRT compatible is a big plus, I hope to configure it so only my media devices use DNS servers for iplayer, itvplayer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If I have port forwards installed on the stock firmware of the C7 and upgrade to dd-wrt will I need to input these and the static ips again ?

Greta price for this aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭bromley52

Ste- wrote: »
    If I have port forwards installed on the stock firmware of the C7 and upgrade to dd-wrt will I need to input these and the static ips again ?

Greta price for this aswell.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭bromley52

If you are installing firmware such as dd-wrt, blocking Google DNS is also useful. Zattoo, Netflix etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anyone use this with Virgin Media?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

anyone use this with Virgin Media?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

It comes highly recommended in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

If I'm switching from vodafones HG658c can I just get this or do I need a separate modem as well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

damagegt wrote: »
    If I'm switching from vodafones HG658c can I just get this or do I need a separate modem as well ?

This is a router has no modem.

You should be able to flash the o2 firmware which unlocks all options to the hg658c though.

Ask over on this thread if someone still have the O2 file.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168096

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Just picked up an Archer C7 in PC World Liffey Valley for 70 Euro. Seems a good price for a well received cable AC router. It's Version 2, looks like it can run Open-WRT and DD-WRT for those who might want a more in-depth user interface.

Are you sure it is a C7, not a C2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Wi-Fi speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What model are we talking about

beauf wrote: »
    What model are we talking about

I picked one up as well. Thanks for the heads up. Been looking to replace mine for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

beauf wrote: »
    I picked one up as well. Thanks for the heads up. Been looking to replace mine for ages.
    Not on their website - are they managers specials or something?

It was marked clearance or something similar. Only one on shelf in Blanch.

:cool:Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Yeah it's the Archer C7 it is marked as a clearance item. If you live near a PC world/curry's they are worth the odd trip every couple of weeks to check out the in store discounts.... Wouldn't normally buy things from them but occasionally you can get a really nice deal.

Haven't set it up yet but will soon enough :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

This is a router has no modem.

You should be able to flash the o2 firmware which unlocks all options to the hg658c though.

Ask over on this thread if someone still have the O2 file.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168096

You don't need to do that, just bridge the HG658.

Yeah it's the Archer C7 it is marked as a clearance item. If you live near a PC world/curry's they are worth the odd trip every couple of weeks to check out the in store discounts.... Wouldn't normally buy things from them but occasionally you can get a really nice deal.

Haven't set it up yet but will soon enough :-)

Just picked last one up in Swords (none in airside).
    Same as yourself, never really go into store - might start doing it from now on...Thks for info

You don't need to do that, just bridge the HG658.

I though the hg658 was 100Mb ethernet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

What does it matter? That's the fastest Vodafone offer at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's not going to change with any firmware update.

guil wrote: »
    What does it matter? That's the fastest Vodafone offer at the moment.
    That's not going to change with any firmware update.

My point is the archer isnt going to improve internet speed if it has 100Mbit ports. Throughput of that port will be 10MB/s if you're lucky due to TCP and Ethernet overheads then the archer would have to reprocess all that its going to be slower. The unlocked o2 firmware allows you to change most settings you need to.

I suppose with dd-wrt you could setup multiple wans and use 2 or more of the ports.

If you have a media server or something like that tge archer is worth it obviously

My point is the archer isnt going to improve internet speed if it has 100Mbit ports. Throughput of that port will be 10MB/s if you're lucky due to TCP and Ethernet overheads then the archer would have to reprocess all that its going to be slower. The unlocked o2 firmware allows you to change most settings you need to.

I suppose with dd-wrt you could setup multiple wans and use 2 or more of the ports.

If you have a media server or something like that tge archer is worth it obviously

You're talking nonsense. I have 30mb from Vodafone and have the hg-658c bridged to a tp-link WDR3600 and there is no degradation whatsoever.

You're talking nonsense. I have 30mb from Vodafone and have the hg-658c bridged to a tp-link WDR3600 and there is no degradation whatsoever.

That's because 30Mb is far slower than ethernet.

That's because 30Mb is far slower than ethernet so you don't have a bottle neck.

That's because 30Mb is far slower than ethernet.

100mb isn't going to drop to 10mb whatever way you look at it. A couple of mb might be lost but nothing you will notice at those speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

100mb isn't going to drop to 10mb whatever way you look at it. A couple of mb might be lost but nothing you will notice at those speeds.

Megabits vs. Megabytes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While it will not help give you broadband speeds if you are on Vodafone, it can help speed up your internal network.

For example transfers between laptop and a NAS or smart TV.

Not for most people, but very important for power users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I gave your sticky thread in broadband a read before getting it:pac:. I made sure it was Version 2 ;) Being DD-WRT compatible is a big plus, I hope to configure it so only my media devices use DNS servers for iplayer, itvplayer etc
    How can you make sure that I am buying the v2 model?

Advertisement