Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    When everyone else was slating him I constantly fought his corner.

Hero

:D

Hang on a minute - was I not there too.
    Fair play ForeRight - did think of you when I came on here.

Sick I was away for all this. Wouldn't have seen him have that low a score in him :eek:

Delighted for him.

I kept saying the last few years he will surprise - golf at time is pure dog headed balls - he has that in spades.

And - the real surprise I think he has in him is a major :eek:

Particularly The Open.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

And - the real surprise I think he has in him is a major

Particularly The Open.

He could well win another open but you can tell from interviews it's the masters that he craves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

He could well win another open but you can tell from interviews it's the masters that he craves
    It is, but he'd have to play very well to win there and need others to have an off day. Not saying it can't happen, just links has always suited Paddy better and I think he can definitely take another one. I know he has only one win this year but he is getting more consistent. Less doubles, one bad day instead of two, putting better, striking the ball better. It does seem to be coming together more for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Oddly, even in the midst of not contending for regular tour events, it was the majors whee he got nearest to wins for most if the last few years.

He was a decent approach and a putt from winning the US open in 2012.

He was right in the mix in the masters on the final day the same year. He was peppering the flag, some absolute beautiful stuff tee to green, but couldn't hole the putts.

He was only one shot, possibly two behind going into the final day of the open last year. Given how open that leaderboard looked he had a real shot at it. The final standings may reflect otherwise but it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

What he was doing back in 2008 was obviously working and I thought he was mad messing around with his game after that. Especially given his age. He went through such bad patches afterwards that I honestly thought he'd never win an event on either of the main tours again. I'm glad to be wrong. Whatever you think of him, he's very hard not to like imo. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I just haven't seen anything in Padraig's putting to win a masters. The green speeds there tend to turn it into a competition of the greens.

But - that was some score over there. Where has that come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I'm delighted Padraig won today, he's one of the good guys and deserves success for all the work he does on his game and for the game in general. He may never reach the top again, but he certainly can still play well enough to win a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I just haven't seen anything in Padraig's putting to win a masters. The green speeds there tend to turn it into a competition of the greens.

But - that was some score over there. Where has that come from.

Didn't you say birdie fests don't suit him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Panrich

fullstop wrote: »
    Didn't you say birdie fests don't suit him ;)

261. Lowest score on European tour this year. Well done Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I was watching tv3 this morning and they were showing all the tweets of congratulations to Padraig from other sports stars.

I was so happy watching it. I actually feel emotional when I see Padraig doing so well. You'll be hard pressed to find anybody say a bad word about the man. He is a genuine role model for young golfers. A truly great Irish man.

Met him years ago when I was playing p&p in good council ballyboden. He was in a 3 ball behind me with family members. So so friendly and approachable.

I love Padraig just in case you all didn't gather that already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Tell me you don't have a huge smile at the end of this when he lifts the trophy and the crowd shout waheeeyyyy!!!!

https://www.balls.ie/golf/padraig-harringtons-incredible-positivity-shines-through-in-post-victory-sky-sports-interview/349630

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I presume the only avenue for Padraig to Masters qualification this year is to be in the top 50 of the world ranking? Is he likely to get an invite? Still looks like a long shot unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    I presume the only avenue for Padraig to Masters qualification this year is to be in the top 50 of the world ranking? Is he likely to get an invite? Still looks like a long shot unfortunately.

Or a PGA Tour win. Qualifying options listed at the bottom of the following link.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2016.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭bren2001

REBELSAFC wrote: »

Essentially its ranking or he has to win a PGA tour event. The later seems more likely. I'm sure he'll sit down and see what he would have to do in Race to Dubai to get close to 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

Does the win get him into the wgc events for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

mark316 wrote: »
    Does the win get him into the wgc events for a year?

I think they've changed the qualification criteria for the various WGCs in recent years and it's now pretty much top 50 in the OWGR for all of them, plus some additional places based on Order of Merit positions, membership of Ryder Cup or President's Cup teams, etc. So the win itself wont get him into any of the WGCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Jumped from 159 to 97 in world rankings

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Padraig needs about 70 world rankings points or a win on the pga tour to get to the top 50 by the end of the year . You can see why he might be swayed towards playing 3 events in America rather than Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

What sums Harrrington up for me is that whilst some players who win (especially waiting 8 years for it to happen again) might be happy to go on the beer for a day or 2 to celebrate (can't blame them), he was straight into analysing his game by the looks of it! Straight away his twitter was him tweeting about his scrambling stats and such. The man breathes the game of golf, and it's absolutely amazing. There's very few sports stars who I would love to sit down with over a few pints and wreck their brains about their chosen sport, but Padraig is right up there.

wardides wrote: »
    What sums Harrrington up for me is that whilst some players who win (especially waiting 8 years for it to happen again) might be happy to go on the beer for a day or 2 to celebrate (can't blame them), he was straight into analysing his game by the looks of it! Straight away his twitter was him tweeting about his scrambling stats and such. The man breathes the game of golf, and it's absolutely amazing. There's very few sports stars who I would love to sit down with over a few pints and wreck their brains about their chosen sport, but Padraig is right up there.

Its 8 years since his last European tour win. He won the Honda last year on the PGA and the Indonesian Open in 2014, so its not an overly long wait.

I one hand I commend him for his workrate which got him where he is but a large part of me wants to scream at him "stop tweaking your bloody swing....!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

wardides wrote: »

It'll be pints for you, sparkling water for him before he nips back to the practice area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anyone back him and what price was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Anyone back him and what price was he?

He was 80/1 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Stuck a fiver on him at 25/1 when he had a good first day ,did not look at it before that ,thought he would have been more than 80/1

He was 95/1 according to his twitter:

CvetPDNW8AEsgO_.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Padraig needs about 70 world rankings points or a win on the pga tour to get to the top 50 by the end of the year . You can see why he might be swayed towards playing 3 events in America rather than Europe.

Looking at last year's events, the final series events carried a lot more world ranking points than the PGA tour wraparound season events that were on in the same week (50 and 52 versus 24 and 24). So, unless there's a very significant change this year, that's another reason for Padraig changing his schedule to incorporate the final series.

Padraig's review of Portugal below. Commits to playing the final events in the Race to Dubai also.
    It's great to be able to say that 2016 was another winning year. I’m off this week and will be enjoying my win. I have changed my schedule now that I am qualified for the Race to Dubai and will play in Turkey and Sun City before it. I am only a win or 3 good finishes away from getting back into the top-50 and securing a place in the Masters. For me it's all about getting back to the majors as I know that I have more of them in me.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10154688479023573

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

love the big bottle of Super Bock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

ForeRight wrote: »
    Tell me you don't have a huge smile at the end of this when he lifts the trophy and the crowd shout waheeeyyyy!!!!

https://www.balls.ie/golf/padraig-harringtons-incredible-positivity-shines-through-in-post-victory-sky-sports-interview/349630

The gas thing about that interview is him saying he has won plenty since 2008 - this is his 4th win since the Open in 2008 I make it.

• Advertisement

Really good audio interview with Padraig below. Well worth a listen. Talks everything from his win in Portugal, Tiger, Seve, Ryder Cup, clubs, majors etc.

https://soundcloud.com/golf_podcast/padraig-harrington

Advertisement