Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 EUR when you switch current account to PTSB

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Have to say I'm kind of uncomfortable about the 5 digit code being the only security needed on the AIB app.

Even if someone knew your code all they could do is grander money between your accounts or any you have saved. You can't make any new payments using the app and you also need a card reader and debit card to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dodge wrote: »
    With PTSB a few years now. Genuinely didn't think other banks still had charges for their current account.

Have a look on here to see the varied charges:
    http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/currentaccount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Remember Consumerhelp website only cover banks with a base in Rep of Ireland. They don't offer any info on Number26 for an example which is a pity.

PTSB offer an excellent Current Account. Ok the phone app is not the greatest but don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hmm.

Does the switching process actually close the other account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

guil wrote: »
    I think I'll be switching everything back to Aib though because standing orders and direct debits seem to go out whenever they feel like it.

I think what you may be experiencing is that direct debits go early some times. Like if a direct debit is due Monday it comes out late Friday.

Probably something to do with the bank closing over the weekend and clearing payments early (a direct debit on Monday is sent at 00:00 on Monday but the bank is closed so they do it Friday.)

It's annoying but not a deal breaker. Their pending transactions section is much nicer than BOI where it lumps in pending payments with the rest. The whole online banking system is better than BOI bar the mobile app - and it's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Hmm.

Does the switching process actually close the other account?

Its up to you. You can choose on the form to leave the original a/c open. I would advise this especially if you have a mortgage payment due within 2 weeks. You can always go into the original bank and close it once you are satisfied all transfers have completed successfully. I have switched banks twice and neither went smoothly. I would advise contacting each of your direct debits to inform them of the new a/c details. I am currently with pTSB and very happy with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think what you may be experiencing is that direct debits go early some times. Like if a direct debit is due Monday it comes out late Friday.

Probably something to do with the bank closing over the weekend and clearing payments early (a direct debit on Monday is sent at 00:00 on Monday but the bank is closed so they do it Friday.)

It's annoying but not a deal breaker. Their pending transactions section is much nicer than BOI where it lumps in pending payments with the rest. The whole online banking system is better than BOI bar the mobile app - and it's free.

I realise that happens if direct debits are due on or after the weekend but the main problem was standing orders. For 2 years I had 2 setup with Aib to come out Thursday, there was never a problem. For whatever reason TSB pay them a day early which was a pita when the money wasn't there to cover them. I wouldn't mind if they told me that while switching but they said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

bromley52 wrote:
    Its up to you. You can choose on the form to leave the original a/c open. I would advise this especially if you have a mortgage payment due within 2 weeks. You can always go into the original bank and close it once you are satisfied all transfers have completed successfully. I have switched banks twice and neither went smoothly. I would advise contacting each of your direct debits to inform them of the new a/c details. I am currently with pTSB and very happy with them .

Do you have to go to a ptsb branch to open an account or can it be done online do you know ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Do you have to go to a ptsb branch to open an account or can it be done online do you know ??

You can call them and they will send you a 'switch pack' and assign you a 'switch buddy'.

I've heard differing stories about how well they work. When I was doing it, I just had the two accounts running and transferred most of the stuff myself to ensure nothing was missed.

The app is poor as others have pointed out but the website does all you need.

Honestly don't know why people are persisting with the likes of BOI etc and paying fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've never had the need to use the app, the mobile site is pretty well designed, and quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

nkav86 wrote: »
    Mine is the same but the desktop site will give you that info or a quick call to open 24, I always find them really helpful. It's probably common knowledge but it's something I wasn't aware of until recently, if you use contactless payments it doesn't show up as pending it just comes out when it clears so it can be a bit of a shock, was for me at first but I monitor it now.

I think there may have been some sort of upgrade to this cos I did a contactless payment again 6pm today and it's showing as pending now. Did one last week and it didn't show until it cleared a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ring them up and they will post everything out to you! Very handy as their branches are only open Monday to Friday during the day and they are scarce enough in rural areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ring them up and they will post everything out to you! Very handy as their branches are only open Monday to Friday during the day and they are scarce enough in rural areas!

Hi folks,
    Do you have to switch accounts or will you get the 50 euro for opening an account?
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi folks,
    Do you have to switch accounts or will you get the 50 euro for opening an account?
    Cheers,
    Mick

I asked them this and you have to go through the switching procedure to get the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I switched on the 4th of Feb :(

Advertisement