Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumoured Fights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very exciting heavyweight division at the moment, and best of all its this side of the pond.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Very exciting heavyweight division at the moment, and best of all its this side of the pond.

Could be great if the right fights get made. Big 'if' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And it will be an absolute stain on the sport should Wilder, Fury, Haye and Joshua go on winning whilst avoiding each other. Yes, I have included Haye here. I believe his name and his fighting style makes for tasty matches vs. the other 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

walshb wrote: »
    And it will be an absolute stain on the sport should Wilder, Fury, Haye and Joshua go on winning whilst avoiding each other. Yes, I have included Haye here. I believe his name and his fighting style makes for tasty matches vs. the other 3.

Agreed, but I don't any reason why they won't all fight each other. There's too much money involved.

Haye vs Joshua is the most likely this year imo. I'd expect Joshua to have his first defence against a tough American, someone like Stiverne in July. Haye will probably have two fights, one possibly against Briggs if he gets his licence. This would open up Haye vs Joshua in a huge fight around November time.

Both Fury and Wilder have real 50/50 fights they need to get through first. If Fury comes through which I think he will then he'll most likely have a mandatory fight to keep everyone happy!

Wilder I think should KO Povetkin imo, but I think he'll be slow to travel to London especially having travelled to Russia and will want to take Joshua out of his comfort zone which I don't think will happen, leaving the most likely scenario of a unification fight between Fury and Wilder, possibly in America early 2017.

Pulev v chisora will be an interesting fight. I'd also throw both Parker and Ortiz into the mix although I can see Ortiz being avoided by everyone. Still don't know how good Parker is but if he comes through Takam then he could take On Joshua April 2017.

Could be completely wrong but exciting times ahead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Eddie Hearn mentioned today that a big deal with Showtime or HBO is in the process of being made so Joshua's next opponent will be American. Likes of Jennings and Steverne mentioned. Also sounded more likely that the fight will be on the 25th of June in the O2 with Groves v Murray on the undercard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Agreed, but I don't any reason why they won't all fight each other. There's too much money involved.

Haye vs Joshua is the most likely this year imo. I'd expect Joshua to have his first defence against a tough American, someone like Stiverne in July. Haye will probably have two fights, one possibly against Briggs if he gets his licence. This would open up Haye vs Joshua in a huge fight around November time.

Both Fury and Wilder have real 50/50 fights they need to get through first. If Fury comes through which I think he will then he'll most likely have a mandatory fight to keep everyone happy!

Wilder I think should KO Povetkin imo, but I think he'll be slow to travel to London especially having travelled to Russia and will want to take Joshua out of his comfort zone which I don't think will happen, leaving the most likely scenario of a unification fight between Fury and Wilder, possibly in America early 2017.

Pulev v chisora will be an interesting fight. I'd also throw both Parker and Ortiz into the mix although I can see Ortiz being avoided by everyone. Still don't know how good Parker is but if he comes through Takam then he could take On Joshua April 2017.

Could be completely wrong but exciting times ahead.

Good analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Morrison J wrote: »
    Eddie Hearn mentioned today that a big deal with Showtime or HBO is in the process of being made so Joshua's next opponent will be American. Likes of Jennings and Steverne mentioned. Also sounded more likely that the fight will be on the 25th of June in the O2 with Groves v Murray on the undercard.

The word is Malik Scott next up for AJ. I assume we will see Scott get a Top 15 IBF ranking in next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The word is Malik Scott next up for AJ. I assume we will see Scott get a Top 15 IBF ranking in next couple of days.

Seems like a typical Hearn pick for an easy first title defence.

I'm not so sure Wilder beats Povetkin. He does have real power, but the Szpilka fight really exposed how limited his boxing is. Granted Szpilka is a southpaw, but he is levels below Povetkin as a boxer. I think Wilder's team believe that the height difference combined with the power will get it done, but Haymon has proven himself a poor matchmaker and I wouldn't be surprised if he is underestimating Povetkin.

I have a feeling that Wilder could really do a number on Povetkin. Bigger, stronger, fresher, and with serious power. I don't think he should find it too difficult to find Povetkin's chin. I don't think Povetkin takes it. It's a fight that I am really looking forward to.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Wilder could really do a number on Povetkin. Bigger, stronger, fresher, and with serious power. I don't think he should find it too difficult to find Povetkin's chin. I don't think Povetkin takes it. It's a fight that I am really looking forward to.

He very well might. But he found Szpilka very difficult to deal with and was down on most cards when he got the knockout. Szpilka is a decent fighter but he's a level below Povetkin. And Povetkin can punch too.

Henno30 wrote: »
    He very well might. But he found Szpilka very difficult to deal with and was down on most cards when he got the knockout. Szpilka is a decent fighter but he's a level below Povetkin. And Povetkin can punch too.

Povetkin is a decent hitter, but here he will be extending more than usual. Wilder fights tall and rangey. He is very explosive and aggressive. If Povetkin can defend really well, and nullify Wilder's attacks, he has a real chance. He needs to be able to stun Wilder, because if he cannot then Wilder will unload with confidence, and I cannot see Povetkin avoiding getting hit real heavy and real clean. Wlad had him on queer street several times with less power and force than what Wilder brings.

I also think that Wilder is capable of more, and that when he isn't faced with real danger he boxes on auto pilot. He is capable of being very alert and efficient when needed. Povetkin may well bring out the best in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Danye

Johner wrote: »
    Seems like a typical Hearn pick for an easy first title defence.

In fairness, it's not just Hearn who does this. Look at Frank Warren & BJS scheduled first defence (which he has pulled out of)

Offered the fight against GGG, ran away from it, GGG signs to fight Wade and BJS starts calling out GGG! They do be all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Brook v paterson

buggy beag wrote: »
    Brook v paterson

Lamont Peterson?

That better not be true.

It's a step up from the nobodies he has defended against, but still a pretty tame defence IMO. Brook is great at calling people out. It sort of ends there. I can't find a reliable link-article that mentions this defence.

pac_man wrote: »
    Do you not think that's a good fight?

Meh, it's a decent fight but I wouldn't be that excited by it. Garcia - Brook would excite me a lot more.

I know Peterson ran Garcia close and some people had him winning but I'm more intrigued by a Garcia - Brook match up.

Although I said tame, I would not be overly surprised if Peterson caused issues. There is something a bit fragile in Brook. Lucky he's not meeting Garcia. Mattysse would be a great defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭badabing106

Briggs lined up to fight Alexander Dimitrenko on the Haye undercard. a much tougher opponent than the guy Haye is facing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Tony Bellew says some negotiations have started on him and a fight versus David Haye! I know Haye is all talk about wanting to be the top dog in the heavyweights but good jaysus!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

I would not be surprised. I reckon it would do very big business if they put it on SBO when the hype starts. Is it really a worse fight than Briggs or Haye's last two fights? I don't think so. I would expect Haye to blast Bellew out in a couple of rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

It just goes to show how full of **** Haye is though, he's 36 and is talking of knocking out the likes of Joshua and Wilder but in reality just keeps taking these fights against C grade fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Haye is a con artist at the very best of times. All talk with little in the way of actual action.

The one proper heavyweight he went up against made a complete show of him, he got that fight through his mouth alone! I'd love to see Briggs spark him and knock him stiff, but I fear we will have a while yet of Haye making noise about being a champion again.

Has me blocked on twitter as well, nice lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Gintonious wrote: »

The one proper heavyweight he went up against made a complete show of him,

He had an injured toe. Remember, he showed it in the ring afterwards. :)

boxer.fan wrote: »
    He had an injured toe. Remember, he showed it in the ring afterwards. :)

Oh that's right! A healthy toe is the key to actually trying to box Wladimir, hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

The "Great British Public" seem to love Haye for some reason. His fans are those who know damn all about boxing it seems.

He doesn't really have any interest in unifying titles or anything like that, he wants great money for fighting bums.

Audley Harrison and now Tony Bellew. The brits seem to love these so called domestic "superfights".

Its a shame because Haye does have a little bit of talent and would match up nicely with some of the heavyweights of 2016 but the guy has absolutely no interest in paying any dues whatsoever in HW boxing. If he cannot jump the queue to fight the champion straight away then he will fight bums.

Good for his bank balance but crap for the sport. He has no interest in being the best or having any kind of legacy and its a sign of the times today in boxing that he still has popularity in the UK.

Hearn in the early stages with GGGs team about GGG v Eubank for September / October?

Danye wrote: »
    Hearn in the early stages with GGGs team about GGG v Eubank for September / October?

Thats an easy nights work for GGG.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats an easy nights work for GGG.

I don't know? Hopefully it is, but it kind of reminds me off Eubank Sr against Benn fight 1.

Regardless of what people think of Eubank, if they pull this off I'll have more respect for him going after GGG.

Advertisement