Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutant HD2400 Quad Tuner Combo Box - Sky Replacement Thread

Options
  • 13-02-2016 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been mooching around the various "Sky Box Replacement" threads for a few months researching what combo box to get to replace my sky subscription.

My key criteria were:-
    • Combination of Free To Air UK channels + the Irish Saorview channels on one 7 day EPG
    • Easy to use remote and menu structure
    • Ability to watch one channel whilst recording another.
    • Ability to record an entire series a la "series link".
    • Reliable hardware and stable software.
    • Well supported with user forums etc

Having done my homework I just pulled the trigger on this Mutant HD 2400 Quad Tuner - http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mutant-HD2400-HD-Quad-Tuner-Digital-Receiver-2x-DVB-S-S2 configured with 2 x DVB-S/S2 (giving the ability to watch one satellite channel whilst recording another) and 2 x DVB-C/T/T2 (giving the ability to watch one Saorview channel whilst recording another) + a 1TB internal Hard Disk Drive + the OpenVix firmware + the WiFi N Dongle as the box will need internet access to get the most out of it.

Here is the configuration which cost £396.85 including a Kingstown USB drive for flashing updates etc to the box and delivery to Dublin.

64qnv5.jpg

I'm a complete newbie to Linux and satellite boxes other than the plug and play Sky boxes I currently have although I'm handy enough with Android flashing ROMs etc and have a couple of media boxes I use for KODI, Netflix, YouTube, Various online content streaming sources etc.

I'm putting up this thread with two objectives in mind:-
    1. It will provide context when (not if!!) I need help setting up and maintaining the box.
    2. It might become a source of support for other Mutant HD2400 users.
    3. If the box is easy to set up and use and does what it says on the tin it might encourage others to take the plunge with this or similar Sky Replacement Boxes.

So, I'm hoping the box will arrive mid next week and that shortly after I'll have it up and running. I can dream :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Nice one;) Genuine hands-on feedback is always welcome especially since there are now such a wide variety of boxes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks Gerry, I'll use this thread to summarise how I get on and to beg for help as needed!!

Looking forward to the adventure.

My first question (an easy opener for one point) is what's the most practical Saorview Ariel to get? I have the Sat dish mounted and 2 X cables running to the existing Sky box which will hopefully allow me to just connect up the existing sat feeds to the Mutant but I don't have any Saorview feed. My house is 250 ft above sea level and the TV is relatively close to a window so if possible I'd prefer to have a discreet indoor Saorview ariel sitting just behind the TV with two outputs to facilitate the 2 x DVB-C/T/T2 tuners. Is that possible? Even if it may or may not work for the sake of €20 I'd like to give it a go before getting someone in to fit an external ariel and run more cables etc.

Any recommendations as to what ariel and cables I should get and from where? A quick search shows Harvey Norman carry a few - http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/set-top-boxes-and-aerials/aerials

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They are supposed to be a very good box ,I have a similar set up with a Duo 2.I have 2 x DVB-S/S2 and 1 x DVB-C.

One bit of advice I wouldn't use wifi to connect unless you really have to,run a cable from modem to box.It will gibe a better more stable connection.

Loads of info on the Enigma 2 thread and you will get plenty of advice there also.

They are supposed to be a very good box ,I have a similar set up with a Duo 2.I have 2 x DVB-S/S2 and 1 x DVB-C.

One bit of advice I wouldn't use wifi to connect unless you really have to,run a cable from modem to box.It will gibe a better more stable connection.

Loads of info on the Enigma 2 thread and you will get plenty of advice there also.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Hi Yaba, thanks for the info. Unfortunately the TV is 2 rooms away from the Router but I do have an excellent Asus router and 100mb UPC broadband. ATM I have a WiFi connected Android Media box which streams live online content in HD over the WiFi connection no problem. I'm hoping the signal which Mutant receives will be good enough for a strong stable connection. I'll find out soon enough.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gerry, I'll use this thread to summarise how I get on and to beg for help as needed!!

Looking forward to the adventure.

My first question (an easy opener for one point) is what's the most practical Saorview Ariel to get? I have the Sat dish mounted and 2 X cables running to the existing Sky box which will hopefully allow me to just connect up the existing sat feeds to the Mutant but I don't have any Saorview feed. My house is 250 ft above sea level and the TV is relatively close to a window so if possible I'd prefer to have a discreet indoor Saorview ariel sitting just behind the TV with two outputs to facilitate the 2 x DVB-C/T/T2 tuners. Is that possible? Even if it may or may not work for the sake of €20 I'd like to give it a go before getting someone in to fit an external ariel and run more cables etc.

Any recommendations as to what ariel and cables I should get and from where? A quick search shows Harvey Norman carry a few - http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/set-top-boxes-and-aerials/aerials
    Indoor aerials are not recommended for various reasons unless you are near the Saorview mast. One option if your location suits is to mount the aerial near the dish. It is then possible to 'piggyback' the signal onto the existing satellite coax. Check the Saorview site to see which direction the mast is. Don't get suckered into buying 'boosted' or 'amplified' indoor aerials, they are a con. Sites like this are better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 boardie2011

@Je_suis_Jean I am looking at the same as yourself.

I am am currently a UPC/VirginMedia customer. I have the same requirements except I'd add an extra, the unit has to be quiet.

Thanks for sharing the information

• Registered Users Posts: 19 boardie2011

Is there any advantage to using an SSD drive instead of the ones offered on the site?

Is there any advantage to using an SSD drive instead of the ones offered on the site?

I wouldnt think so,all the HHD does is save recording and timeshift functions afaik.
    I was advised to use a small usb drive for 7day EPG,I use a 4gb drive I got for a few quid and does the job perfectly.

Indoor aerials are not recommended for various reasons unless you are near the Saorview mast. One option if your location suits is to mount the aerial near the dish. It is then possible to 'piggyback' the signal onto the existing satellite coax.

Hi Gerry,

I'm just less than 5km from Three Rock as the crow flies with Three Rock being South South West (looks like 215 degrees) from my house. So with my house at 250 ft and Three Rock at 1,450 ft I'm hoping I can get a decent indoor signal but if I can't can you explain how the "Piggyback" Signal works? If I mount a Saorview ariel beside the Sat Dish (which I guess is pointing SSE at the Astra2 satellite group at 28.2E how does the sat dish cable pick up the Saorview signal and how do I extract that signal to input into the 2 x DVB-C/T/T2 tuners in the box?

• Advertisement

I'm no expert but AFAIK you can mount the aerial near the dish and use a combiner/splitter to merge the aerial and (one) satellite signal at the dish and another unit to split them again at the receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I'm hoping I can get a decent indoor signal but if I can't can you explain how the "Piggyback" Signal works? If I mount a Saorview ariel beside the Sat Dish ...

The aerial doesn't have to be near the dish, although it seems it would suit in your case, but no need to compromise on aerial performance just to have it near the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Use a usb stick for the EPG and picons.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Use a usb stick for the EPG and picons.
    Rather than the built in HDD?

I'm no expert but AFAIK you can mount the aerial near the dish and use a combiner/splitter to merge the aerial and (one) satellite signal at the dish and another unit to split them again at the receiver.
    Now I'm getting into the technical learning curve :D

Rather than the built in HDD?

Yes just set the EPG to the USB stick rather than HDD.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yes just set the EPG to the USB stick rather than HDD.
    Why? What's the benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭dubrov

The idea is that you don't need to spin up the hdd every time it needs to access a picon. In theory access should be much quicker.

I believe epg/picons are stored on the hdd/usb but then loaded into flash memory anyway so i don't think it will really make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭lertsnim

dubrov wrote: »
    I believe epg/picons are stored on the hdd/usb but then loaded into flash memory anyway so i don't think it will really make any difference

Moving to a USB stick made a big difference for me. My hard drive is set to sleep after 5 minutes as I don't want it running constantly and when I had the EPG and picons on the HDD I always had that loading icon in the corner when changing a channel or loading a channel list. Not anymore.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Moving to a USB stick made a big difference for me. My hard drive is set to sleep after 5 minutes as I don't want it running constantly and when I had the EPG and picons on the HDD I always had that loading icon in the corner when changing a channel or loading a channel list. Not anymore.

Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭dubrov

lertsnim wrote:

I guess the proof is in the pudding so it must not be copied to flash memory during operation

Plenty of people will say a USB stick is unnecessary but for the sake of a fiver well worth buying one.
    No point having a HDD working when there is no need to.

Well I probably have 20 USB sticks floating about the house/office so if using one to keep the EPG on is easier on the HDD and actually performs better then it's a no brainer to do. Does it need to be a Kingston USB drive?

No it doesn't need to be a Kingston.Any small drive will do,I have some crappy brand 4GB in mine for months now with a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭stanley1

when it comes to flashing images, kingston or sandisk are the only ones that seem to work, for storage of picons/crossepg any old stick seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

use internet Homeplugs if u cant run a direct cable,
    Hi Yaba, thanks for the info. Unfortunately the TV is 2 rooms away from the Router but I do have an excellent Asus router and 100mb UPC broadband. ATM I have a WiFi connected Android Media box which streams live online content in HD over the WiFi connection no problem. I'm hoping the signal which Mutant receives will be good enough for a strong stable connection. I'll find out soon enough.

GY A1 wrote: »
    use internet Homeplugs if u cant run a direct cable,

I can't. I tried to a couple of years ago but my fuse box contains very sensitive/thin fuses which don't transmit internet across different sections of the house. Within one fused area homeplugs work fine but one I try to run a homeplug from one fused area to another it drops to (for example) 0.5mb speed.

So my box is due to arrive tomorrow.

Any tips as to what I should do and the order I should so them to set up or should I just hook up the cables from the satellite dish, plug in the Saorview indoor ariel I spent few quid on today and see what happens???

So my box is due to arrive tomorrow.

Any tips as to what I should do and the order I should so them to set up or should I just hook up the cables from the satellite dish, plug in the Saorview indoor ariel I spent few quid on today and see what happens???

When you have it all connected up,flash an image onto it and away you go.Some very good back up images available that will have a lot of the work done for you.

Missed #1 where you mentioned its flashed .

• Advertisement

Thanks Yaba, yes it should be arriving with the latest OpenVix flashed but I'm sure I'll need/want to choose a good skin, order the channels in the way I want (RTEs -> BBC -> ITV -> TV3 etc etc) and set up of Auto Bouquets so I have an updated EPG etc.

I'm sure it'll be an interesting learning curve but I'm up for it.

I'm also interested to see what it's XBMC online streaming capability is going to be like plus I have a NAS on the home network full of content I could stream to it.

Advertisement