Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

degsie wrote: »
    Isn't Freeview terrestrial?

Yes and as it's Freeview HD it should work here. Not 100% on the tuners this has though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Pique wrote: »
    Yes and as it's Freeview HD it should work here. Not 100% on the tuners this has though.

Dies UK Freeview = Irish Saorview from a technical perspective?? If so the built in tuner will get you RTE, TV3 etc but it won't get you any of the UK Freeview channels unless you are in a few spots on the east coast which can pick up a Freeview signal from Wales. Not sure about the border counties picking up a Freeview signal from NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Dies UK Freeview = Irish Saorview from a technical perspective?? If so the built in tuner will get you RTE, TV3 etc but it won't get you any of the UK Freeview channels unless you are in a few spots on the east coast which can pick up a Freeview signal from Wales. Not sure about the border counties picking up a Freeview signal from NI.

If anyone buys it, it'll work here, no question. Sony site specs also state that this exact model comes with DVB-S2 tuner so FTA satellite on board too which is a nice touch. One reviewer on Amazon says that it has twin sat tuners, which would allow watch one/record another feature.

Android TV on board also; another plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Pique wrote: »

You'll often see the advice given on boards that 'if it's not Freeview HD, it won't do Saorview', but for the past few years, most 'standard' Freeview sets have had the requisite goodies on-board to deliver Saorview without issue i.e. DVB-T + MPEG4 + MHEG5.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

The Sony TV is on the Saorview approved list, and according to Argos, it's a dual tuner, so by connecting a hard drive you should be able to watch one channel and record another. Also an internet search shows it has dual FTA sat tuners, nice feature, but freesat with a 7 day guide would have been better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Unfortunately price has gone back up as Amazon don't have stock
    There are a few warehouse deals at £457( irish vat included)

check the description carefully

There is 1 with the following:

"Used - Very Good
    Item is in original packaging, but packaging may come damaged. Item is pristine and without scratches. All purchases eligible for Amazon customer service and a 30-day return policy."

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol_

any one ever buy the warehouse deal what are your thoughts on them some good prices for a damaged box

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

ikol_ wrote: »
    any one ever buy the warehouse deal what are your thoughts on them some good prices for a damaged box

you're still covered for 6 months, go for it. bought many discounted items before, never had trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I had mixed results

I've bought camera lenses,filters, a tv, memory cards, etc. all without any issue

I bought a desk fan and the motor was burnt out when i got it.
    Contacted customer service and they said just dispose of it as it wasn't worth sending back

Recently bought a sim free phone and it was a nightmare
    Described as like new - unmarked.
    Got it and description was correct, but it was an Indian sim free phone
    that required first use on an Indian network.
    Customer service came to the conclusion that a customer had bought one on amazon.co.uk and sent it back but switched phones before returning
    I lost about €28 on the currency transaction( Amazon compensated me for this)

Also bought a HP printer and someone had returned it without the cartridges..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Temp closed for review

Thread Reopened. Helpful posts only please. Posters who continue to derail the thread will be removed.

Keep this thread for minor bargains/small savings, otherwise start a new thread.

Thanks for the patience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was looking for a knife sharpener and I found this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Global-Worlds-Sharpener-Classic/dp/B001DXVL6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461844311&sr=8-1&keywords=knife+sharpener - £14.99 down to £9.98

Marketed as the worlds best knife Sharpener - I saw Jamie Oliver using one on one of his videos. Looks like you can take old blunt knives and make them razor sharp again.

I also bought this plyers for £0.49, a handled set of hex keys for £7.14, and a 58pc screwdriver set for £10.48

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Zascar wrote: »
    I was looking for a knife sharpener and I found this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Global-Worlds-Sharpener-Classic/dp/B001DXVL6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461844311&sr=8-1&keywords=knife+sharpener - £14.99 down to £9.98

Marketed as the worlds best knife Sharpener - I saw Jamie Oliver using one on one of his videos. Looks like you can take old blunt knives and make them razor sharp again.

I have this great sharpener but it will take its toll on your knives so not great if you have cheap ones.

sioda wrote: »
    I have this great sharpener but it will take its toll on your knives so not great if you have cheap ones.

How do you mean? It wears them down quickly? If so isn't it better to have a sharp knife for Y years than a blunt knife for 3 x Y years??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

sioda wrote: »

Didn't even notice. I only used a couple of knives I would have bought from Lidl years ago and the sharpener did a great job...too great to be fair, slit a fair bit of my skin of my finger after sharpening by an accident.

Best knife sharpener I ever had and requires very little time and effort to sharpen a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How do you mean? It wears them down quickly? If so isn't it better to have a sharp knife for Y years than a blunt knife for 3 x Y years??

You might be able to have a sharp knife for 3 x Y years with a whetstone though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Harika

keane2097 wrote: »
    You might be able to have a sharp knife for 3 x Y years with a whetstone though

Those knife sharpeners have a very small whetstone included. I have a completely different model from Lidl and it works really well. Don't see the big difference except that with a knife sharpener it is harder to ruin the blade.

Good spot, just ordered one. Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Slightly off topic hope this is allowed, but I love finding the best sellers in each category on Amazon. 99% of the time if it's the No. 1 best seller in a category its a safe buy and a great piece of kit. Is there a way to see a big list without routing through each category? Sometimes you go to a category and it does not list the best sellers, I usually google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Slightly off topic hope this is allowed, but I love finding the best sellers in each category on Amazon. 99% of the time if it's the No. 1 best seller in a category its a safe buy and a great piece of kit. Is there a way to see a big list without routing through each category? Sometimes you go to a category and it does not list the best sellers, I usually google it.

this maybe?
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers/zgbs/ref=zg_bs_tab

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I used it for an expensive pruning saw & I was so pleased. Saved 30% & the only damage was a tiny tear in the bubble pack. I would definitely do it again as you have a return for full refund guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Very true sharp every time. This is a fantastic piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

[/URL]

Have had one of these for a few years, stuck on the window ledge by the sink and use it daily.. best kitchen gadget I've ever bought.

I can't wait to get it. I love a good kitchen knife and I end up buying new ones - now I can revive a couple of old knives I used to love but rarely use any more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've had the same ikea knives for around 4/5yrs now.. keep it stuck in your kitchen somewhere and it just becomes habit to run the knife through it a few times before you use it, keeps them nice n slicy..

I can't wait to get it. I love a good kitchen knife and I end up buying new ones - now I can revive a couple of old knives I used to love but rarely use any more

Exactly this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I sometimes bring a knife into Butchers when I'm getting something and get him to sharpen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That sharpener is fine for everyday knives but I wouldn't use it for a high quality blade.

It works by tearing off metal. To sharpen a blunt knife quickly you have to remove a lot of metal.

Proper knife sharpening was a mystery to me. I bought a diamond sharpening block from Lidl & after a year or two decided, once & for all, to learn how to use it.

It's really satisfying to learn how to make a knife razor sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement