Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't our 17 year olds Just Play!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

eigrod - I think that is the extreme case which is unfortunate but I do think if you took bruschi case on one extreme and yours on the other most players would fall closer to the scenario which you have mentioned which is unfair.

IMO the majority of 17yo lads who will have the opportunity to play adult football/hurling will do so in the less serious comps like junior grades/reserve grades and not as a key members so will therefore not play every minute of every game.

Ask any 17yo what he would like? I remember when I was that age - all I wanted was games nothing else would do!

Nice_guy it sounds like it is an issue in your club and very disheartening considering you've been nurturing these players for a while - I certainly hope none of the lads lose interest when they see they can play a game of soccer every week!

and rugby
    cannot understand the thinking behind this

in the premier league, the youngest player ever was only 16.
    he couldn't do that in Club GAA at Division 6 or whatever grade the club's bottom team is at

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

eigrod wrote: »
    In Wicklow, there is no U21 club Hurling, a maximum of 4 or 5 games in minor hurling league/championship and no schools competition.

In 2016, a 17 year old hurler in Wicklow will get 3 or 4 games max.

Junior hurling was the 17 year olds only opportunity to get decent amount of game time.

directly from the post you quoted me on.
    bruschi wrote: »
    If they arent getting enough games at minor, it is the county boards fault.

I'm not saying I am in total agreement with the implementation of the rule, to be honest I am not sure where I stand on it, but the whole over reaching that rural clubs will struggle and that it will ruin young lads is nonsense in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

It's fine for the GAA to be supposedly tackling "burnout" by bringing in this rule but it would have been far better had they tackled fixture scheduling and season planning instead.
    Young fellas (and older) up and down the country will still have to play/train 3/4 times a week at certain stages during the year while having zero games for a month or more at other times of the year when there should be activity.

A large amount of managers and administrators think this is fine as "in my day we did x,y,z..". The same lads think proper Strength & Conditioning training is a "fad" and see no issue with dual players in Football and Hurling up to and including County Senior level.

These things to me, are far bigger problems than some 17 year olds (many of whom are totally ready for adult football) playing say 3/4 games in the year for their clubs. Maybe if you adjusted the rule so that under 17s couldn't play Senior club championship it might be better. Intermediate and lower would be less intense normally and most Senior clubs would have a second team at a lower level if necessary.

In all this, it's the smaller rural clubs who really rely on the 17-22 year olds that I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Rule has been amended in Cork this year. It allows 17 year olds play league & challenge games at Junior Intermediate and Senior level but they can't play championship

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rule has been amended in Cork this year. It allows 17 year olds play league & challenge games at Junior Intermediate and Senior level but they can't play championship

That makes no sense whatsoever, but it's very gaa alright.

• Advertisement

Is that allowed?
    I mean, for a county to countermand a national rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Is that allowed?
    I mean, for a county to countermand a national rule?

Yes this is what I'm wondering! If this is possible I would certainly love to see my own county bring it in.

As some have mentioned above a comprise could be achieved. I am not in favour of a club using 17 year olds as their key players and adding pressure to them whilst it would be unusual but certainly could happen then the way to go is probably barring them from more competitive competitions like senior championships etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Lads 17 year olds can play..16 can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Lads 17 year olds can play..16 can't.

17 year olds (i.e: those who turn 17 in 2016) CANNOT play adult championship competitions this year Prop.

• Advertisement

17 year olds (i.e: those who turn 17 in 2016) CANNOT play adult championship competitions this year Prop.

Correct,2nd year minors are eligible for senior,I am a full supporter of this rule and imo will stand to the association in the future.

I would it would make alot more sense to change the age groups to u-11,u-13,u-15 and u-17 and then senior

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Correct,2nd year minors are eligible for senior,I am a full supporter of this rule and imo will stand to the association in the future.

I would it would make alot more sense to change the age groups to u-11,u-13,u-15 and u-17 and then senior
    Will be interesting to see how this affects the dropout of players ages 16-19.
    Less games isn't going to help

So on a fairly small sample the GAA population on boards believe this is a crap rule implemented.

I hope my club doesn't lose the 17 year olds we have at the minute because its been a while since we have had footballers of their quality coming through to adult level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Was there something in the air in 1999 that made this years 17 year olds so special?

I've no strong feelings one way or another on this rule, but since it has come in I've heard dozens and dozens of stories from all sorts of clubs in multiple counties all claiming that they're being hard done by since apparently their particular bunch of 17 year olds is great this year and would have won them an adult championship.

Was there something in the air in 1999 that made this years 17 year olds so special?

I've no strong feelings one way or another on this rule, but since it has come in I've heard dozens and dozens of stories from all sorts of clubs in multiple counties all claiming that they're being hard done by since apparently their particular bunch of 17 year olds is great this year and would have won them an adult championship.

Well the clubs with the **** 17 year olds wouldn't complain now would they??? :)

our main issue is that 17 year olds get very few games as it is

a few junior b league games and maybe championship games wasn't going to hurt them

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

The single biggest issue is not the 1999 born lads being excluded from adult football and hurling

It's the fact that excluding them from adult football and hurling was put in place without providing a decent number of games in the minor or under 17 grade in a lot of counties (not all, I'm sure).

In Laois this year the minor league will probably have 4 or 5 games and a knock out championship. A lad might get 5 or 6 games of football or hurling in the year. Would you blame him if he went off playing soccer or rugby?!!

If the rule hadn't been changed, the same 1999 born lads might have also had access to 8 or 9 junior league games, a junior championship game or two, and maybe a more talented lad a few runs as a sub with a club's first team.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    our main issue is that 17 year olds get very few games as it is

a few junior b league games and maybe championship games wasn't going to hurt them

Yeah thats what i'm talking about - but I think that poster is a WUM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Gael85

The new rule regarding U-17 not being able to play adult football is a very harsh rule on players and smaller clubs. Does anyone else feel that this is a foolish rule being imposed?

Will clubs be able to field all teams without them? I know in our club every now and then we produce 2/3 17 year olds that get game time to progress their development and it also helps out making sure we have enough for a squad with two teams.

I think it also hinders the players as from what I know we have a few decent minors but the squad as a whole would not be that strong and aren’t expected to qualify for playoffs (hopefully they will) this would then leave it that our decent 17 year olds season would be finished by end of April.

I would be worried that we could lose these lads to other sports or worst still – if they’re idle they could end up trying out the social life and lose their interest in football.

I honestly don’t understand the logic of this ruling – in my mind the players who are in most danger of burnout are from 19-22.

Would there be an appetite for this rule to be changed and if so is it even possible to have it changed?

Is there a motion in this year Congress to allow u17 players to play adult football?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Gael85

[QUOTE=nice_guy80;98762373]our main issue is that 17 year olds get very few games as it is

a few junior b league games and maybe championship games wasn't going to hurt them[/QUOTE]

I have to say this was crazy proposal that u17's cant play at adult level. As I said previously GAA burnout applies to probably 2% of GAA players who play at a elite level. These are players who are on senior/u21 counties panels as well as third level teams some who make might play up to 4 matches in a week between all them teams. If GAA were serious about player burnout maybe they should look at u21, fitzgibbon/sigerson cup schedules. .ie player cant play national league while playing u21/third level. Instead GAA take easy option which affects the ordinary club player and especially players from rural clubs. Nice guy is 100% correct in u17s players get very games especially with this rule.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    I have to say this was crazy proposal that u17's cant play at adult level. As I said previously GAA burnout applies to probably 2% of GAA players who play at a elite level. These are players who are on senior/u21 counties panels as well as third level teams some who make might play up to 4 matches in a week between all them teams. If GAA were serious about player burnout maybe they should look at u21, fitzgibbon/sigerson cup schedules. .ie player cant play national league while playing u21/third level. Instead GAA take easy option which affects the ordinary club player and especially players from rural clubs. Nice guy is 100% correct in u17s players get very games especially with this rule.

The simple rule is change all grades from u10,u12,u14,u16 & minor to u11,u13,u15,u17.

Once a player leaves u-17 he is a senior player

Gael85 wrote: »
    Is there a motion in this year Congress to allow u17 players to play adult football?

There is motion to congress by club in Cork to allow 17 year olds to play adult league but not championship which if passed would take effect 4 weeks after congress.

Heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

There is motion to congress by club in Cork to allow 17 year olds to play adult league but not championship which if passed would take effect 4 weeks after congress.

Heres hoping!

Boys who are 17 this year allowed to play league & challenge games this in Cork

Boys who are 17 this year allowed to play league & challenge games this in Cork

How could they when the motion was rejected at congress?

Advertisement