Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Clive wrote: »
    Mellor has it spot on, it's listed in the rulebook as a serious foul:

"When an athlete grabs the inside of the opponent’s gi top or pants, when he steps inside the Gi jacket and and when an
    athlete passes a hand through the inside of the opponent’s gi to grip the external part of the gi."

*Disgruntled at no recognition*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Advantage for having a sense of the reason without knowing the actual rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Advantage for having a sense of the reason without knowing the actual rule.

S'pose I'll take that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

When an athlete grabs the inside of the opponent’s gi top or pants, when he steps inside the Gi jacket and and when an
    athlete passes a hand through the inside of the opponent’s gi to grip the external part of the gi

Baseball bat choke uses the inside of the lapel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

True, the rule is not well worded, "inside" the lapel specifically is allowed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RoboRat wrote: »
    Baseball bat choke uses the inside of the lapel...

4 fingers inside lapel is fine. Sane as in a cross collar choke (2 out of 3 variations anyway). I'm guess it's only an issue when it's past lapel.
    I've never seen anyone called for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

All i'm worried about is, it's kinda my go to choke from closed guard, if the lapels are open.

I'm going to go for it out of habit....and get DQ'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

eeloe wrote: »
    All i'm worried about is, it's kinda my go to choke from closed guard, if the lapels are open.

You're going to have to take it from your game if you compete regularly, or plan to, as you will do it without realising and the last thing you want when competing is trying to stop yourself from doing something... you'll lose focus.

RoboRat wrote: »
    You're going to have to take it from your game if you compete regularly, or plan to, as you will do it without realising and the last thing you want when competing is trying to stop yourself from doing something... you'll lose focus.

I'll see how the next few months go, i wasn't intending on competing after having the issue with the knee last year, but i said i'd go for it.

only live once and all that...

True, the rule is not well worded, "inside" the lapel specifically is allowed though.

Honestly you'll probably only get DQ'd in IBJJF events. Randomly local events probably don't have a rule book that elaborate. And with promotions with more liberal rulesets like Grappling Industries, it won't be illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Brussell Jitz

Yeah, first time I have seen this choke as well! It looks like a great choke but could be boarderline in IBJJF rules but a good question to get asked at the rules meeting? I thought the original rule was to stop grabbing inside the gi sleeves, putting the foot inside the jacket and grabbing basically through the open jacket. I think this could literally be a loophole in the rules, no pun intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Finally got around to joining a local club, having just moved house.

I'd done a bit of training before but never made any real progress. Busy work schedule meant that I was always only ever ticking-over and rarely got to train. So i'm pretty much a total beginner again with a little bit of knowledge hidden somewhere in the back of my mind.

A few things have changed so now I should be able to get stuck in properly. Tonight i'll be going for my 3rd session this week. Really enjoying it.

Just about 2 months and this is going very well. In the 8 or so weeks i've been at it, i've been managing to train twice most weeks or three times otherwise.

One massively noticeable thing is the weight i've lost. I'm not entirely sure how much, but the A3 kimono I was wearing at first is now way too small for me and i've had to move to an A2.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just about 2 months and this is going very well. In the 8 or so weeks i've been at it, i've been managing to train twice most weeks or three times otherwise.

One massively noticeable thing is the weight i've lost. I'm not entirely sure how much, but the A3 kimono I was wearing at first is now way too small for me and i've had to move to an A2.

Fantastic news MrStuffins.

Hopefully your club does stripes alone the whitebelt patch to keep things interesting for you. It can be a long road to your next belt, the stripes really help with progress IMO.

Stay mobile, stay active, and eat well, and you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Darren Curtis was promoted to Black Belt yesterday.

Guy has one of the most crushing top games out there. Well Deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Darren Curtis was promoted to Black Belt yesterday.

Guy has one of the most crushing top games out there. Well Deserved.

Who does he train under these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Think he does the majority of his training under Chris Bowe (GB) but teaches classes on Carlow AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Think he does the majority of his training under Chris Bowe (GB) but teaches classes on Carlow AFAIK

Yep.

He's got his own place in Carlow - Attic BJJ

He runs it with Brian Connolly who got his brown belt the same day at the Braulio Estima seminar at GB Dublin.

I wasn't chatting to a friend at the weekend. He's a part owner of a gym in a beach life/surfer town. He's a blue belt.
    We were talking about competing. And he was telling me that the Brazilian lads in his gym are all on gear. Not even remotely secretive about it.

I know it's rife at the elite black belt level but I was a surprised that who would be competing at local blue bent events would be on the bomba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Mellor wrote: »
    I wasn't chatting to a friend at the weekend. He's a part owner of a gym in a beach life/surfer town. He's a blue belt.
    We were talking about competing. And he was telling me that the Brazilian lads in his gym are all on gear. Not even remotely secretive about it.

I know it's rife at the elite black belt level but I was a surprised that who would be competing at local blue bent events would be on the bomba.

It doesn't surprise me to find out that lads who wouldn't be elite are still juicing. The obvious tolerance of steroid use at the highest level will filter down in any sport, powerlifting is another example of this

Paul Redmond and Keith McCabe both got their black belts today from Andy Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Paul Redmond and Keith McCabe both got their black belts today from Andy Ryan.

There was a 3rd fella too but I didn't catch his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DrPhilG wrote: »
    There was a 3rd fella too but I didn't catch his name.

Ray Yore

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Can anyone recommend a mouthguard for rolling?
    I have a SISU one but it doesn't 'feel' safe.

I'd like one that's comfortable and doesn't induce gagging

I’ve been using Damage Control boil and bites since I started.

Got a custom one from ProGum? Should be arriving this week, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

I'm going to be down in Kerry next week.
    Anyone have any details for places to train in Tralee?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have the lightweight SISU mouthguard and actually really like it... I've had dentist-made mouthguards before and I prefer the more minimalist SISU. Not comparable to other boil and bite mouthguards, IMO.

If the lightweight SISU is too light you might check out the thicker one, they are a little less common.

Was in the gym (weights gym, not BJJ) the other week. Warming up with some pistol squats. At the bottom of a rep by knee "clicked". I bailed immediately but wasn't able to fully straighten my knee. Kept waiting for to “unlock” like a dead arm would. But didn’t happen and I knew that meant torn meniscus. MRI confirm it’s a bucket handle tear, and ortho recommends surgery. It wasn’t a heavy load or anything out of the ordinary. Knee had been sore lately, so thinking there was damage here and this was completion of an existing partial tear.

Unbelievable gutted atm. The time/cost of surgery is a balls obviosuly, but I’m mostly depressed about not being able to train now and the future being in doubt. Injury aside, I've had a few other issues going, and was using jiu jitsu as a way to get my mind off it - and training had been going great. So feels like a double blow.

Sorry to hear that Mellor.

To be honest I have always felt pistols, even unweighted, were more trouble than they were worth. I used to do reasonably high volume of them, also weighted pistols, and in the end jacked them in in favour of less skill-intensive movements that was easier to load for incremental progress and put less pressure on the structure of the knee. I can still do them but I think unless I found myself in solitary confinement I'd be passing on them for the most part.

In terms of not being able to train, and the fact that you'd been using training as a way to get your mind off other issues... I think that's legitimately one of the worst things about not being able to train. All I can suggest is to look for another pursuit to fill the time. As stupid as it sounds... Learn an instrument, try to meditate daily, focus on bringing your upper body along in the gym.. etc. Easier said than done, I know.

I've never had a concern with pistols, always had fairly decent depth in squats, and knee position was good.
    I didn't have lifting shoes that day, so stood on a little ramp section of floor. Like this. Which should have make them easier. Just one of those freak things.

However in hind sight, I do feel that the hip flexion and balance aspects are hindrance that add nothing. This single leg variation feels inherently safer.

• Advertisement

I think they're one of those movements where if someone is going to do them they need to actually have the stability and mobility to go ass to grass / rock bottom even barefoot without any elevation to compensate for lack of ankle mobility.

Advertisement