Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple travel world with their newborn

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

My idea of a good mother is one that doesnt drink while caring for her newborn baby

clearly Im nuts, in Ireland anyway.

My idea of a good mother (or father for that matter) is one that doesnt drink while caring for her (his) newborn baby

clearly Im nuts, in Ireland anyway.

Not nuts.

Just very judgemental

bubblypop wrote: »
    Not nuts.

Just very judgemental

really? Why? I have supported the parents from the OP on their travels, I have supported anyone that wanted to travel with kids. I have only critisised one thing and thatsdrinking while caring for a newborn baby. Do you not agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

esforum wrote: »
    really? Why? I have supported the parents from the OP on their travels, I have supported anyone that wanted to travel with kids. I have only critisised one thing and thatsdrinking while caring for a newborn baby. Do you not agree?

I have one drink once every week or two when I'm looking after my baby. I fail to see the problem with this?!

• Advertisement

I have one drink once every week or two when I'm looking after my baby. I fail to see the problem with this?!

I see a problem, you are taking an intoxicant while caring for an infant. I believe you should not do that. Drink when you arent caring for your child or have alcohol free.

I dont drink so its easy for me to say in fairness as its never an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

It's one drink. I don't get intoxicated :confused: I'd agree with you if I was getting pissed and looking after her but I don't. You are way OTT!

It's one drink. I don't get intoxicated :confused: I'd agree with you if I was getting pissed and looking after her but I don't. You are way OTT!

Well I think my post is clear enough, I fail to see why people have an intoxicant drink while caring for children. Theres nothing more to add really. You disagree obviously and there we are. Opinions divided.

I dont consider someone that has 1 drink a bad parent but I dont personally agree with it if that clarifies my stance a little. My comment above about parent of the year and good mother was a bit harsh in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Well I think my post is clear enough, I fail to see why people have an intoxicant drink while caring for children. Theres nothing more to add really.

That's your opinion and perhaps 1 drink makes you "intoxicated". However in most European cultures a glass of wine with a meal is most CERTAINLY not seen the way you are portraying it. No need to force your views down anyone's throats or consider them to be bad parents.

Best of luck to the couple what an amazing journey they had.

That's your opinion and perhaps 1 drink makes you "intoxicated". However in most European cultures a glass of wine with a meal is most CERTAINLY not seen the way you are portraying it. No need to force your views down anyone's throats or consider them to be bad parents.

Best of luck to the couple what an amazing journey they had.

Im sorry, i thought this was a messageboard for discussion of opinions?

I didnt raise the issue ya know, someone else did claiming the baby milk manufacturers are fabricating information concerning alcohol and breastfeeding. I answered and here we are

I live in Spain, a glass of wine is normal with dinner, absolutely. Completely agree but then I didnt once make any comment on peoples drinking in general did I? I commented on drinking while breastfeeding? and No, its absolutely not normal here or in the other country I lived, Italy.

as for intoxicated,yes, one drink makes every single person that takes it intoxicated, Alcohol is an ontoxicant, its a scientific fact. The level is what I think you are getting at and yes, as I last drink about ten years ago, a pint probable would have an effect on me.

Put another way, two drinks for most average adults means they cant drive. So what amount do you think is acceptable for caring for an infant? More or less than the drink drive limit? (In my case 1 pint would probable do it). I dont expect a reply, its your personal opinion and are entitled to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I see a problem, you are taking an intoxicant while caring for an infant. I believe you should not do that. Drink when you arent caring for your child or have alcohol free.

I dont drink so its easy for me to say in fairness as its never an issue.

n how about older kids drinking with dinner ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    n how about older kids drinking with dinner ?

The legal age is 18 so kids shouldnt be drinking but I think thats a little off topic anyway

The legal age is 18 so kids shouldnt be drinking but I think thats a little off topic anyway

say - if they are at home having dinner their parents can give them alcohol under 18

say - if they are at home having dinner their parents can give them alcohol under 18

I have already gotten a slap from a mod for off topic, if you want to PM me or start a thread I will answer

I have already gotten a slap from a mod for off topic, if you want to PM me or start a thread I will answer

Vaguely related to the original post - what if they decide to redo the trip in a good few years and they visit somewhere (like say Italy/France wherever) where the kids occasionally have a small amount of alcohol with dinner

how would you feel about the mighty family in the OP then ?

Vaguely related to the original post - what if they decide to redo the trip in a good few years and they visit somewhere (like say Italy/France wherever) where the kids occasionally have a small amount of alcohol with dinner

I dont think you have read this thread, the OP wasnt the person travelling nor has there been any suggestion that the people that were travelling did so while drinking and caring for their child. I was also in support of the people travelling.

I would however suggest that no country regularily gives kids alcohol, its actually a pretty dangerous poison ya know :)

Its a myth that underage kids in these countries drink wine, etc during meals, I lived in Italy and currently live in Spain. They get wine during celebrations like Christmas, local festivals and the like, its a rare event marking a special occasion and you have to remember that the age to drink was much lower in the past with Spain only introducing 18 last year so unpto then kids could enter pubs and clubs at 15 and 16 anyway so they werent beiing given a drink at dinner anymore than you are given one in Ireland at 18. Your overage, you have one if you want one

I dont think you have read this thread, the OP wasnt the person travelling ......

sorry if english isn't your first language
    in the Original Post

............I would however suggest that no country regularily gives kids alcohol................

...... where the kids occasionally have a small amount of alcohol with dinner

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

you have to remember that the age to drink was much lower in the past with Spain only introducing 18 last year so unpto then kids could enter pubs and clubs at 15 and 16 anyway so they werent beiing given a drink at dinner anymore than you are given one in Ireland at 18. Your overage, you have one if you want one

The law in Ireland is that in a private home, it is the decision of the parent/guardian when a minor can drink alcohol. If I want to allow my son to taste the spirits I'm using for cooking (something that was a common deterrent when I was a child) that's perfectly legal. If I want to allow him to have a wine spritzer or a shandy when he is 12 or 14, that's perfectly legal. If I give him a beer when he's 16, again perfectly legal.

I don't drink much and I didn't at all for the first 18 months of his life, not because of breastfeeding but because he sleeps in my bed. But what gets in your breastmilk is not the same as what crosses the placenta. I would absolutely never drink while pregnant, I never even drank while trying to get pregnant, the effects of even a small amount of alcohol in pregnancy haven't been proven safe, so I err on the side of caution. With breastfeeding however it is safe to drink. As long as you aren't too intoxicated to care for the baby or co-sleeping, both of which go for formula fed babies too, it's fine to have an occasional drink.

iguana wrote: »
    The law in Ireland is that in a private home, it is the decision of the parent/guardian when a minor can drink alcohol. If I want to allow my son to taste the spirits I'm using for cooking (something that was a common deterrent when I was a child) that's perfectly legal. If I want to allow him to have a wine spritzer or a shandy when he is 12 or 14, that's perfectly legal. If I give him a beer when he's 16, again perfectly legal.

I am aware of the law thanks but no, its only above 15. You cant give alcoholic drinks to a child under 15 regardless of parentage or location in law. What you are suggesting is that you could 'legally' feed a 1 year old a bottle of whiskey and because its in your home its legal, that wouldnt make sense.
    sorry if english isn't your first language

Whats your point exactly? You said one thing, I said another. I am not obliged to stick to your terminology and OP means original poster generaly, you used it for original post.

have you a point to make or just picking a fight?

I am aware of the law thanks butno, its onlyabove 15.

You cant give alcoholic drinks to a child under 15 regardless of parentage or location in law. ...........

Could you find a link to that ?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/home.html

Just in case the family in the original post come here n stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What you are suggesting is that you could 'legally' feed a 1 year old a bottle of whiskey and because its in your home its legal, that wouldnt make sense.

Nope, it doesn't as other child endangerment laws could be invoked against me. I can give my son alcohol in a way that doesn't endanger him as long as we are on private, residential property. Where the age 15 comes into force is with regards to private functions in places of business like a pub or hotel. Ie, I can't take my son to the pub after certain hours when he is 15, 16 and 17 but I can if we are attending a function in an area reserved for the private use of the function.

as for intoxicated,yes, one drink makes every single person that takes it intoxicated, Alcohol is an ontoxicant, its a scientific fact. The level is what I think you are getting at and yes, as I last drink about ten years ago, a pint probable would have an effect on me.

Put another way, two drinks for most average adults means they cant drive. So what amount do you think is acceptable for caring for an infant? More or less than the drink drive limit? (In my case 1 pint would probable do it). I dont expect a reply, its your personal opinion and are entitled to it

You're talking alot about "facts" but are not actually backing it up, therefore it's entirely subjective until/unless you do so.

There are alot of things one can be labelled a bad parent for. It's not your place to decide what is right and wrong. Do what you have to do and what you feel is right for your children but don't label others here (or elsewhere) for making informed decisions on how they parent.

I am aware of the law thanks but no, its only above 15. You cant give alcoholic drinks to a child under 15 regardless of parentage or location in law.

Which country is that in?

In Ireland parents can consent to their children consuming alcohol under the age of 18 in a DOMESTIC environment.

If you know differently it would be a good idea to contact citizens information.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html

Citizens advise state under 18, thats correct. they dont give a minimum age because the intoxicating liquor act doesnt have one however they tend to center on one area and not the bigger picture which is why they tend to not be reliable for exact information but guidelines only.

Section 30, Intoxicating liquor act 1988 defines a child as being under 15, not 18. Thats important if a little strange.

It leads into the various other areas such as the non fatal offences against the person act 1997, child care Act 2001 through 2016.

Iquana is actually correct in her interpretation, give a 14 year old an alcoholic drink and other acts will kick in. Theres numerous cases through the years, google will help you there.

now, as so many here seem to only read a few posts and not them all. Im not going to bother explaining myself again as I have done so more than once.

....You cant give alcoholic drinks to a child under 15 regardless of parentage or location in law......

NxHW1gB.jpg

but then ........
    ........ they dont give a minimum age because the intoxicating liquor act doesnt have one .........................

Section 32 and Section 33
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/act/16/enacted/en/print#sec32

Provision of intoxicating liquor for persons under the age of 18 years.

32.—(1) A person shall not—

(b) deliver intoxicating liquor to a person under the age of 18 years in any place other than a private residence, or

33.—(1) A person under the age of 18 years shall not—

Offences by persons under the age of 18 years.

(b) consume intoxicating liquor in any place other than a private residence in which he is present either as of right or by permission,

If the family in the original post come here in the future they might find the info useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This has gone way off topic and is rapidly degenerating into a game of "I know you are but what am I". Back on topic please or the thread is over

Any more personal comments will result in sanctions.

Advertisement