Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple travel world with their newborn

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it is amazing:)
    I had no idea what to do on my 1st maternity leave as I had never had time off other then holidays so brought baba to a mobile home in France for a month.
    We had a lovely time and it was off season so not expensive and we got to spend a lot of time outdoors.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it is amazing:)
    I had no idea what to do on my 1st maternity leave as I had never had time off other then holidays so brought baba to a mobile home in France for a month.
    We had a lovely time and it was off season so not expensive and we got to spend a lot of time outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Would love to do that! When I traveled I met families of all shapes, sizes and ages and thought how cool is that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tough one but I'd worry about the child's development with his family but sure it's up to his parents to decide
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    A lot of them get home sick. Bonding very important at early stages of life but as said earlier, parents decision, their child. It may not have caused any problems to the child. Tough journey I'd say though on parents.

Are you referring to the parents ? The parents love travelling and decided to spend a year travelling with their baby. Judging by the fact they have another holiday booked I don't think they suffer from homesickness.
    As for the poster calling them selfish, I don't see anything selfish about it, the Mum and dad got to spend 10 months travelling the globe with their baby daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Mom+dad+baby spending a year together travelling the world = awesome.

Fair play to them, that's incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Here's my reasoning for it being selfish. If you read her blog, the boyfriend had to get work in New Zealand to help fund their travels. They spent everything they had on a trip that their child won't remember. That money could have gone towards securing the well being of the child in the future. Dad also quit his job, so he was coming back to no job. (what they may not have mentioned in the blog for no reason, may be that they are getting financial support from his or her parents...that seems likely, otherwise their actions are very reckless based on the information she has put forward)

I got upset watching my kid get the few inoculations that he's already got. He has another round coming up at the 8-9 week mark. I wouldn't wish another round of them on him. Their daughter needed a third round for the travel.

Maybe I'm over paranoid but my other half and I have planned urgent care facilities and pediatricians around the city we are in, in case of emergency. They went to unknown places with a young child. Even with vaccinations, young children are more at risk around infections and disease. Even without going to these more exotic countries. An airplane is a flying petri dish.

She claimed in one of the tips sections that she was breast feeding. She also mentioned drinking alcohol. I don't know how that's viewed in Ireland..I had my kid in the US. Drinking while breastfeeding is seen as a big no no! You have to be very careful of your intake and dumping out the right amount. The suggestion here is there's two things you must avoid. Fish and Alcohol.

One of her tips was to not be afraid to let the kid eat different foods. Babies have a very sensitive digestive system. e.g. spicy foods or foods with cow milk or dairy byproducts are risky. So, either she didn't care about that or she was just being too vague with that tip.

My guess is they didn't risk the child in this way and just wanted to have nicer looking pictures or something BUT in some of the pictures you can see on her site, they endangered the kid. i.e. on the back of the bicycle without a helmet (I'd guess they just took them off for a picture)...a bigger one, on a boat without a life jacket. Rule no. 1 for boating, put on your life jacket BEFORE you get on the boat. There's also a picture of the baby with a monkey climbing over her face.

Now, with all of that said. No harm seems to have come to the child and honestly, my opinion is just based on the information in the article and on her own blog. I'd bet she was less than forthcoming about her actual financial and support situation. Her site is pretty crappy but it looks like she's got a custom banner. Either she's the creative type that's handy with a computer or maybe, she's getting backing from somebody and she's trying to get this viral to start making money as a travel blogger. But that could just be me being cynical!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

You can drink when your breastfeeding. There is nothing wrong with it. Minimal amounts get into the breastmilk. You should look into Jack Newmans and others research on it. There is also nothing wrong with eating fish... In fact I can't think of any single reason not to.

I do agree with you about the helmets and lifejacket though.

Again nothing wrong with eating spicy food if baby likes it. Or dairy. My two would have had curries and dairy from 6 months on. And I certainly care about them.

She is a nurse too so better suited to see if baby was getting sick etc.

Again not a trip I would ever do (baby or no baby for that matter!) but it's not selfish. Or dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Here's my reasoning for it being selfish. If you read her blog, the boyfriend had to get work in New Zealand to help fund their travels. They spent everything they had on a trip that their child won't remember. That money could have gone towards securing the well being of the child in the future. Dad also quit his job, so he was coming back to no job. (what they may not have mentioned in the blog for no reason, may be that they are getting financial support from his or her parents...that seems likely, otherwise their actions are very reckless based on the information she has put forward)

I got upset watching my kid get the few inoculations that he's already got. He has another round coming up at the 8-9 week mark. I wouldn't wish another round of them on him. Their daughter needed a third round for the travel.

Maybe I'm over paranoid but my other half and I have planned urgent care facilities and pediatricians around the city we are in, in case of emergency. They went to unknown places with a young child. Even with vaccinations, young children are more at risk around infections and disease. Even without going to these more exotic countries. An airplane is a flying petri dish.

She claimed in one of the tips sections that she was breast feeding. She also mentioned drinking alcohol. I don't know how that's viewed in Ireland..I had my kid in the US. Drinking while breastfeeding is seen as a big no no! You have to be very careful of your intake and dumping out the right amount. The suggestion here is there's two things you must avoid. Fish and Alcohol.

One of her tips was to not be afraid to let the kid eat different foods. Babies have a very sensitive digestive system. e.g. spicy foods or foods with cow milk or dairy byproducts are risky. So, either she didn't care about that or she was just being too vague with that tip.

My guess is they didn't risk the child in this way and just wanted to have nicer looking pictures or something BUT in some of the pictures you can see on her site, they endangered the kid. i.e. on the back of the bicycle without a helmet (I'd guess they just took them off for a picture)...a bigger one, on a boat without a life jacket. Rule no. 1 for boating, put on your life jacket BEFORE you get on the boat. There's also a picture of the baby with a monkey climbing over her face.

Now, with all of that said. No harm seems to have come to the child and honestly, my opinion is just based on the information in the article and on her own blog. I'd bet she was less than forthcoming about her actual financial and support situation. Her site is pretty crappy but it looks like she's got a custom banner. Either she's the creative type that's handy with a computer or maybe, she's getting backing from somebody and she's trying to get this viral to start making money as a travel blogger. But that could just be me being cynical!

Bit ott don't you think? Vaccinations take all of ten seconds and the kid forgets about them. My fella was grand after 2 mins. Slept loads after. Twas grand. Myself and husband certainly don't have urgent care facility plans worked out. Local gp number saved on the phone is about it.
    He eats everything we eat. Likes certain spicy things. What do people in India and Asia feed their children? They cope fine.
    Things are gone a bit mad and overprotective here at times. I'd say the states is worse.
    I wish I had the balls to head off travelling on maternity leave. But I was too busy reading up on which travel system to get, baby monitor with motion sensor, nappy disposal system and all the other unnecessary commodities we are brainwashed into having.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hi Wompa, I've also had a baby in the US, so just to comment on a couple of your points from that perspective:

Breastfeeding and alcohol - there are new guidelines out that bf mothers can drink a bit and there is no need to pump-n-dump. The amount of alcohol that gets into breastmilk is very small, and even if you did want to avoid it you can just time drinking around feeds as the alcohol will leave the breastmilk as it leaves your system, at about the rate of one drink an hour. I don't drink myself as I can;t afford the hangover but it is quite acceptable for a bf mom to have have a glass of wine in the city I live in in the US.

Breastfeeding and fish - I've no idea what the problem is there? I've been recommended to eat fish and for my child to eat fish.

Food for baby - it is not common for babies to be sensitive to cows milk or spicy food, unless they are weaned to solids too young or have some inherent issues. I've been recommended by my US paediatrician to include varied foods/tastes/textures in my child's diet from 6 months on. The idea that babies need bland food for fragile digesitve systems is an older one that was due to weaning at too young an age before they were ready. How do the local people in other countries feed their children? Not feed them local food? I've friends here of various backgrounds and nationalities who feed their babies a wide range of foods based on their cultures.

You may be more conservative than the couple here, which you are free to be. But you can't say that your way is the only way to raise a child correctly or that what you describe here is recommended in the US, as in my experience it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hi Wompa, I've also had a baby in the US, so just to comment on a couple of your points from that perspective:

Breastfeeding and alcohol - there are new guidelines out that bf mothers can drink a bit and there is no need to pump-n-dump. The amount of alcohol that gets into breastmilk is very small, and even if you did want to avoid it you can just time drinking around feeds as the alcohol will leave the breastmilk as it leaves your system, at about the rate of one drink an hour. I don't drink myself as I can;t afford the hangover but it is quite acceptable for a bf mom to have have a glass of wine in the city I live in in the US.

Breastfeeding and fish - I've no idea what the problem is there? I've been recommended to eat fish and for my child to eat fish.

Food for baby - it is not common for babies to be sensitive to cows milk or spicy food, unless they are weaned to solids too young or have some inherent issues. I've been recommended by my US paediatrician to include varied foods/tastes/textures in my child's diet from 6 months on. The idea that babies need bland food for fragile digesitve systems is an older one that was due to weaning at too young an age before they were ready. How do the local people in other countries feed their children? Not feed them local food? I've friends here of various backgrounds and nationalities who feed their babies a wide range of foods based on their cultures.

You may be more conservative than the couple here, which you are free to be. But you can't say that your way is the only way to raise a child correctly or that what you describe here is recommended in the US, as in my experience it isn't.

Yes, you're right. Pump and dump but also limits on the amount of alcohol you should consume. This all based on the literature given to us my the hospital but there's several foods which babies commonly have problems with like Broccoli and dairy. Newborns apparently have not built a tolerance for what comes in a cows milk. Cow milk, cheese and other dairy can give the baby gas.

The fish is due to levels of mercury found in fish.

Foods like Broccoli, Sage, Peppermint etc. do not carry the weight of the warning of alcohol and fish. Those are the two that can be very damaging to their health. Dairy and others can just cause pain and discomfort as far as I know from what I read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As a new parent naturally your instinct is to be over protective, nothing wrong with that but that doesn't mean this family did the wrong thing. Every family finds its own path. Enjoy your new role and don't over think what other parents do too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

iguana wrote: »
    Well as the mother is a health care professional, an NHS nurse, I'm sure she had all of that well planned in advance.

Well thats great but I doubt very much any health care worker carries a hospital and surgeon in their pockets while travelling through a Vietnamese jungle!

If you travel with kids there needs to be proper medical facilities available, not just a good knowledge of first aid so some backpacking, world travel locations and situations are not feasible.

Im all for it, I have and will travel with my kids but theres certain locations that will simple have to wait until they flow the nest

Yes, you're right. Pump and dump but also limits on the amount of alcohol you should consume. This all based on the literature given to us my the hospital but there's several foods which babies commonly have problems with like Broccoli and dairy. Newborns apparently have not built a tolerance for what comes in a cows milk. Cow milk, cheese and other dairy can give the baby gas.

The fish is due to levels of mercury found in fish.

Foods like Broccoli, Sage, Peppermint etc. do not carry the weight of the warning of alcohol and fish. Those are the two that can be very damaging to their health. Dairy and others can just cause pain and discomfort as far as I know from what I read.

Sage and peppermint are best avoided as they affect your milk supply. They will not affect baby at all.

The nhs advice on fish is one portion of shark/Marlin per week same as every other adult and no more than 2 portions of oily fish. Unlimited other fish as it's very good for you. So not to avoid. It is NOT damaging to babies health. Neither is having a few drinks.

Dairy is a good one to cut if babies are having issues but not unless they are. I ate loads of broccoli/spinach etc.

These are all common things bandied around about breastfeeding but are inaccurate and out of date.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

esforum wrote: »
    Well thats great but I doubt very much any health care worker carries a hospital and surgeon in their pockets while travelling through a Vietnamese jungle!

If you travel with kids there needs to be proper medical facilities available, not just a good knowledge of first aid so some backpacking, world travel locations and situations are not feasible.

Im all for it, I have and will travel with my kids but theres certain locations that will simple have to wait until they flow the nest

I'd say she knows more than 'just a bit of first aid'. She's a nurse. :pac: And there are good hospitals in all of those destinations, especially for private patients on travel insurance. Maybe I'm missing it, but I cant see anywhere in the article where it mentions trekking through a Vietnamese jungle?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

groovyg wrote: »
    Are you referring to the parents ? The parents love travelling and decided to spend a year travelling with their baby. Judging by the fact they have another holiday booked I don't think they suffer from homesickness.
    As for the poster calling them selfish, I don't see anything selfish about it, the Mum and dad got to spend 10 months travelling the globe with their baby daughter.

na was talking about homesickness in general. something was obviously lost in translation im afraid. interesting story though. be hard job to do. found traveling hard on my own in those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

OP, I really think that as a new parent of a 2 week old your world view on parenting is very restricted.

Kids are not half as delicate as you might belief. I think what this couple did is amazing. They got to spend their daughters first year together as a family, both parents getting to spend all day with their child. And on top of that, they got to see the world.

Had they both taken a year out and stayed at home to spend the time with their child no one would have an opinion but as they choose to explore the world people think it's selfish. Travelling with a breastfed child is the easiest thing, they are so portable and you have their needs to hand. As to your criticism of the mum breastfeeding and drinking, unless you have proof that she drank to intoxication hence passing the alcohol on to her child, then I think this was a low dig.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Actually, typical of the Daily Fail to bend facts to suit the drama, but if you read her actual blog...

Her partner, the dad of the baby, is NZ. They went to NZ when the baby was 11 weeks old until the baby was 10 months old. Spent that time with his family there and introducing their baby to her dad's heritage and home. Dad worked a short stint there too in the 8 months they spent there. That's not 'backpacking' :confused:

So the baby had vaccinations in the UK, then the remainder in NZ. Then, when the baby was 10 months old, they travelled through several countries back to the UK over the course of 7 weeks of backpacking.

At 10 months, the baby was well able for different foods, topped up by breast milk as required, but certainly plenty of time between feeds if mum wanted a drink, chances are the baby was well sleeping through the night by that stage.

The baby had also learned to swim in NZ, probably for a damn sight cheaper than bloody Waterbabies here in Ireland cost me. Baby swimming techniques focus on teaching a baby to 'fall' in to the water and not panic, but to swim to the surface.

Lots of added drama thanks to the DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op if you believe you everything you read sure you wouldn't leave the house.
    There is loads of conflicting information out there you could have one expert saying don't feed your babies milk, dairy, broccoli, fish etc and then you'll have another expert saying the opposite.

I agree with her on feeding and testing out different foods on the kid. There's nothing wrong with dairy, fish or spicy foods, kids will eat them or they won't but the only way of finding out if they like them is to test them out. What do kids in India, Thailand, Middle east eat?

I know with friends of mine who have kids they were uber careful with the first kid cooking them separate dinners etc by the time 2nd and 3rd kid came along there were no separate dinners for the new addition one meal was cooked for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Neyite wrote: »
    Actually, typical of the Daily Fail to bend facts to suit the drama, but if you read her actual blog...

Her partner, the dad of the baby, is NZ. They went to NZ when the baby was 11 weeks old until the baby was 10 months old. Spent that time with his family there and introducing their baby to her dad's heritage and home. Dad worked a short stint there too in the 8 months they spent there. That's not 'backpacking' :confused:

So the baby had vaccinations in the UK, then the remainder in NZ. Then, when the baby was 10 months old, they travelled through several countries back to the UK over the course of 7 weeks of backpacking.

At 10 months, the baby was well able for different foods, topped up by breast milk as required, but certainly plenty of time between feeds if mum wanted a drink, chances are the baby was well sleeping through the night by that stage.

The baby had also learned to swim in NZ, probably for a damn sight cheaper than bloody Waterbabies here in Ireland cost me. Baby swimming techniques focus on teaching a baby to 'fall' in to the water and not panic, but to swim to the surface.

Lots of added drama thanks to the DM.

some country lads, nz. if you ever get the chance, just go there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

OP, I really think that as a new parent of a 2 week old your world view on parenting is very restricted.

Kids are not half as delicate as you might belief. I think what this couple did is amazing. They got to spend their daughters first year together as a family, both parents getting to spend all day with their child. And on top of that, they got to see the world.

Had they both taken a year out and stayed at home to spend the time with their child no one would have an opinion but as they choose to explore the world people think it's selfish. Travelling with a breastfed child is the easiest thing, they are so portable and you have their needs to hand. As to your criticism of the mum breastfeeding and drinking, unless you have proof that she drank to intoxication hence passing the alcohol on to her child, then I think this was a low dig.

Totally agree here! Of course you can drink while breastfeeding, barely any goes through to your milk & the baby ingests it, it doesn't go straight into their bloodstream. (refer to Dr Jack Newman for more info on alcohol & BF) Travelling with a BF child is such a doddle. All you need are nappies and a few clothes.

What an amazing experience for the three of them. I look back on all our little adventures (which don't seem that adventurous compared to these three!) with such fond memories.

I don't really see any issues, babies and children DO exist where they are taking their baby! It's not as if they're bringing an alien species to a different planet.

Also, no one would bat an eyelid if they lashed the baby into creche. But God forbid you keep her with her parents for her first year of life (which is recommended) Good on them. Wish we were in a position to take off for the year and travel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sorry, but you're completely incorrect here. I'm convinced it's a myth spread by formula companies. One should never 'pump & dump'. It's a ridiculous concept, the alcohol level decreases in your milk the same rate as in your blood. You don't need to 'pump & dump' - you're just wasting milk. If you need to express to relieve pressure if you don't feel comfortable feeding your baby after a few drinks, then go ahead.

Fish? I think that's only predatory fish during pregnancy, and well, most people should limit their intake of certain species due to heightened levels of mercury.

Neyite wrote: »
    I'd say she knows more than 'just a bit of first aid'. She's a nurse. :pac: And there are good hospitals in all of those destinations, especially for private patients on travel insurance. Maybe I'm missing it, but I cant see anywhere in the article where it mentions trekking through a Vietnamese jungle?

I didnt comment on the article, I stated an opinion on travelling with children and stated that medical facilities in the vicinity were a must have.

It was then stated that as she is a nurse its all grand

I then pointed out that a nurse doesnt carry a hostpital or the required skills and training to handle multiple multiple issues in the vietnam jungle as an example.

To which apparantly I am wrong because now I am told there is in fact hospitals in the remote regions of said jungle which there isnt. There is **** all quality medical care in many many areas of the world and up mountains, in jungles and in deserts tend to fall into that category.

Im not sure why you cant just say fair enough here. Its my person belief that you dont bring babies on remote expeditions. A nurse is not that mightily high on the medical ladder by the way. There a great deal that could go wrong with a young child that a nurse could not handle and thus being within reach of quality medical assistance I personally consider a must have.

thats not having a go at nurses, no medical professional in the wild while on holiday is going to be able to perform life saving sugery (again as an example)

olaola wrote: »
    Sorry, but you're completely incorrect here. I'm convinced it's a myth spread by formula companies. One should never 'pump & dump'. It's a ridiculous concept, the alcohol level decreases in your milk the same rate as in your blood. You don't need to 'pump & dump' - you're just wasting milk. If you need to express to relieve pressure if you don't feel comfortable feeding your baby after a few drinks, then go ahead.

Fish? I think that's only predatory fish during pregnancy, and well, most people should limit their intake of certain species due to heightened levels of mercury.

can you clarify, are you suggesting that you could actually go straight from a few beers to breast feeding and that the current medical theories in most western countries have been falsified by companies and then forced onto medical professionals?

can you clarify, are you suggesting that you could actually go straight from a few beers to breast feeding and that the current medical theories in most western countries have been falsified by companies and then forced onto medical professionals?

Yes.

https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/alcohol.pdf

In case you didn't know Wendy Jones is one of the leading experts in drugs and breastfeeding world wide. She has literally written the book. No one is suggesting a heavy night and binge drinking but there is NOTHING wrong with 1/2 drinks and feeding.

cyning wrote: »
    Yes.

https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/alcohol.pdf

In case you didn't know Wendy Jones is one of the leading experts in drugs and breastfeeding world wide. She has literally written the book. No one is suggesting a heavy night and binge drinking but there is NOTHING wrong with 1/2 drinks and feeding.

em that article suggests that you should not breast feed within 3 hours of a drink and that anything more than 2 units a day can effect child development

"To reduce exposure of the baby to alcohol, avoid breastfeeding for 2-3 hours after drinking."
    "Chronic exposure to more than 2 units per day may have an affect on development."
    "Peak levels in the milk appear after 30 –90 minutes"
    "If you intend to drink more than this on a special occasion, you might want to think about expressing milk in advance for your babysitter."

I shall stick to the numerous doctors and midwives we have used and personally know thanks

Then their information is out of date. That happens. Doctors and midwifes are not infallible. You could also look up Jack Newman, the NHS website etc.

My personal experience with most Gp's and nurses and midwifes that they haven't a clue. Not one clue. I was told I had to drink at least a pint of milk a day to make milk in the hospital ;) personally I don't drink when I'm breastfeeding but it utterly maddens me when people put their personal opinions out there as facts on breastfeeding. It's difficult enough to get be established without reading misinformation on breastfeeding.

em that article suggests that you should not breast feed within 3 hours of a drink and that anything more than 2 units a day can effect child development

"To reduce exposure of the baby to alcohol, avoid breastfeeding for 2-3 hours after drinking."
    "Chronic exposure to more than 2 units per day may have an affect on development."
    "Peak levels in the milk appear after 30 –90 minutes"
    "If you intend to drink more than this on a special occasion, you might want to think about expressing milk in advance for your babysitter."

Yes. It also says right at the very top of the page that "the effect of maternal consumption of alcohol is insignificant except at high or regular consumption levels. Breastfeeding mothers can have occasional small levels of alcohol...".

Then it summarises the findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Breastfeeding and alcohol has nothing to do with travelling, if you do that overseas you probably will do it at home. And one beer in a photo means nothing, ridiculous to infer it's bad for her child when no one knows the context.

OP you've learnt a valuable lesson here, when you are a parent people feel they have the right to comment on everything. Bottom line is there is no right or wrong way to do it.

The family are home now and the child doesn't seem to have suffered, they have enjoyed an incredible experience and have some amazing memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

cynig bet me to the bf and alcohol post, I second it. I've gotten that advice from other lactation consultants.

If you work it out, one drink is about 16 ml of pure alcohol at most (a shot of 40% vodka is about 40ml) and 16 ml diluted in an entire person (the bf mother) is a pretty low concentration. Breastmilk would have a similar concentration as her blood. If she has at least 5-6 litres of blood + other body-stuff, that is approx 0.0027% alcohol in her milk. If her baby drinks 100ml, that is 2.7 microlitres of alcohol (0.0027 ml). It is literally a tiny drop. Not exactly a naggin of vodka ;)

For the medical theories bit - while your phrasing is a bit extreme, there can be a complicated relationship between companies, medical professionals and current understandings of biology in most aspects of medicine not just bf. It is just reality that many medics are working from outdated teachings, so I wouldn't take one medical opinion as gospel. It's not often not their fault, it is impossible to be up to date on everything and the new info needs to be taught to them, preferably from a source without a vested interest (companies). I've heard that medical students in some college were told "half of what you will learn will be found to be false, unfortunately we don't know yet which half'.

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    Yes. It also says right at the very top of the page that "the effect of maternal consumption of alcohol is insignificant except at high or regular consumption levels. Breastfeeding mothers can have occasional small levels of alcohol...".

Then it summarises the findings.

No no no, I was very very specific in my question. I didnt say have a drink then wait a while. I asked you if you believed you could go direct from drinking alcohol to breast feeding. the article you posted states you should not.

I agree that a drink now and again does no harm once time has elapsed or just drink zero zero :D

Advertisement