Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Christ,I am nearly signing up to these guys in mayo,after a what can only be described as criminal 3 weeks dealing with vodaphone/kn installers for ftth broadband.

Seriously,does any company tell the truth these days? Everything is ambiguous, borderline blatant lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Does anyone have experience with moving the imagine antenna themselves. Do you think it would work if moved. It's been installed in a very inconvenient part of the house. The area I was thinking of moving it to should have the same signal I reckon so I can't see that being an issue. Looking at the antenna it looks like a simple enough setup I would just need to terminate the cat 5 or cat 6 cable once moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Make sure you have External , pure copper cable , not cheap CCA, there is Power Over Ethernet involved .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

ED E wrote: »
    This was ALWAYS going to happen. Look at the first 20 or 30 pages of this thread.

Imagine had two options:
    A) Charge 100-120€/mo and sell to very few users
    B) Have a sh1t slow network.

No doubt they'll try suing the vendor again for the mess they made :rolleyes:

You're forgetting option C, have a business plan that doesn't involve screwing all your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ARGINITE wrote: »
    You're forgetting option C, have a business plan that doesn't involve screwing all your customers.

With the spectrum they had a chance of a permanent hold on that was probably never possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Do you have the login for the router ? It should show you the connection status for the phone - like this:

mKpvL4H.jpg

Nope dont have that login. I take it the password is unique?
    Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭mossie

My download speeds have dropped dramatically over the last two days. From an average of around 90Mb to around 25Mb. Since the outage last Saturday week it's been erratic but this is the worst it's ever been in the 12 months I've had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Asendor

d31b0y wrote: »
    People on here have had verbal confirmation that the usage between 1am and 7am does indeed count towards the deprioritisation and if that's the case you run the risk of getting deprioritised before your day even begins.

I have written confirmation that 1am to 7am DOES count towards deprioritisation, so whatever you do, do not download anything "large" (talking like 10GB or so) off peak or you risk blocking yourself for the rest of the day once you watched a Netflix show or something.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Asendor wrote: »
    I have written confirmation that 1am to 7am DOES count towards deprioritisation, so whatever you do, do not download anything "large" (talking like 10GB or so) off peak or you risk blocking yourself for the rest of the day once you watched a Netflix show or something.

So the 1GB "limit" for the month is a flat out lie as it's impossible to get within a mile of that without getting "deprioritised".

They can't have it both ways - either it's ~20Gb a day or it's 1TB a month , they can't tell us it's both.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    So the 1GB "limit" for the month is a flat out lie as it's impossible to get within a mile of that without getting "deprioritised".

They can't have it both ways - either it's ~20Gb a day or it's 1TB a month , they can't tell us it's both.

Yes, correct. But they do tell you its both. And I assume their refusal to provide numbers for their AUP is linked to that discrepancy between AUP and FUP. If they would confirm that their AUP numbers are way lower, people might have a handle on them, as they list the 1 TB everywhere and use it for advertising. Still waiting for feedback on my comreg complaint but I am not hopeful here.

On a side note: they are also very careful not to say that they slow you down to unusable/ cut you off if deprioritized. they will claim that you are just slowed down compared to others but its still usable which it clearly isn't (I get either max 1 mbit in speedtests or simply "---" as a result if I actually manage to even open a speed test page while deprioritised). Most of the time I am completely cut off. And if anyone thinks I am clearly abusing the service because I have so many issues: I use around 400-500GB per month, never in breach of FUP in several years. I typically get caught because, e.g. I forgot to turn off a pc and it updates something in the morning (looking at my sons fortnite install here just as an example, 10+ GB updates). And this is a major issue for me as I am working from home, so if I get caught mid-day I can call my manager/ take a half day holiday to avoid issues with work...

no alternatives for me, just checked again and no fibre and none planned, max possible speed via phone line is 3 Mbit/s, mobile bad reception and no unique external IP (which I require), satellite not possible because of latency (wont work with my job)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Joeyineire

I need to turn my modem into bridge mode to work properly with my google mesh wifi. Unfortunately the password has changed, anyone know if its now specific to each device or what the new password is ?

Joeyineire wrote: »
    I need to turn my modem into bridge mode to work properly with my google mesh wifi. Unfortunately the password has changed, anyone know if its now specific to each device or what the new password is ?

Pretty sure it's device specific.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes, correct. But they do tell you its both. And I assume their refusal to provide numbers for their AUP is linked to that discrepancy between AUP and FUP. If they would confirm that their AUP numbers are way lower, people might have a handle on them, as they list the 1 TB everywhere and use it for advertising. Still waiting for feedback on my comreg complaint but I am not hopeful here.

On a side note: they are also very careful not to say that they slow you down to unusable/ cut you off if deprioritized. they will claim that you are just slowed down compared to others but its still usable which it clearly isn't (I get either max 1 mbit in speedtests or simply "---" as a result if I actually manage to even open a speed test page while deprioritised). Most of the time I am completely cut off. And if anyone thinks I am clearly abusing the service because I have so many issues: I use around 400-500GB per month, never in breach of FUP in several years. I typically get caught because, e.g. I forgot to turn off a pc and it updates something in the morning (looking at my sons fortnite install here just as an example, 10+ GB updates). And this is a major issue for me as I am working from home, so if I get caught mid-day I can call my manager/ take a half day holiday to avoid issues with work...

no alternatives for me, just checked again and no fibre and none planned, max possible speed via phone line is 3 Mbit/s, mobile bad reception and no unique external IP (which I require), satellite not possible because of latency (wont work with my job)

Finally got through to them on chat (2hr wait) to ask them about the email..

This is the response I got
    This email was not aimed at you or your account in particular. You had not come close to reaching the 1Tb limit, in fact you did not even reach halfway! This email was an automated messaged sent to describe the policy in further detail and was sent to all customers. The reason it was sent is that we have a lot of customers who call on the first of each month to question certain portions of the policy so we had sent the email to counter act this and hopefully answer a lot of these questions in advance

Then I asked them about the daily threshold and the de-prioritisation and this was the response
    Yes and no. There is no threshold as such but there is a policy in place which deprioritises customers depending on their usage. There is no limit to what usage can be used daily but the policy is in place to prevent any customers who might use a large amount of data from negatively effecting other customers on the same cell. So if one customer has used twice or more usage than the average usage for their cell their line will then be deprioritised during peak traffic hours, meaning that other customers who might have used very little broadband will take priority when the traffic is high. In your case your daily average is only 9.51Gb which is less than the Network average of 12Gb-15Gb so I do not see this being a big issue for you

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joeyineire

Can you not see your usage on the LTE portal ? Im just after getting support there and the end user password for me was given to me but not sure if its device specific anybody want it to try it PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

So what I take away from the recent communications from Imagine and the comments here is that they are reneging on their contract as the FUP limit of i TB/month is not reachable without deprioritisation effectively reducing your monthly fully usable limit to 600 GB - 400 less than advertised.
    /rant on To top it all off the connection has been a frigging pile of steaming dogshyte since last night, connection dropping and and out, and when up speed is utter cr**p, don't even dare to run a speed test as it probably would not complete anyway. Now waiting for the connection to come back to actually post this. %$^^$^*&%$$$££
    /rant off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

morgana wrote: »
    So what I take away from the recent communications from Imagine and the comments here is that they are reneging on their contract as the FUP limit of i TB/month is not reachable without deprioritisation effectively reducing your monthly fully usable limit to 600 GB - 400 less than advertised.
    /rant on To top it all off the connection has been a frigging pile of steaming dogshyte since last night, connection dropping and and out, and when up speed is utter cr**p, don't even dare to run a speed test as it probably would not complete anyway. Now waiting for the connection to come back to actually post this. %$^^$^*&%$$$££
    /rant off

I'm getting 0.18 mb speedtest results. I'm on hold now 15mins, someone is gonna get an earful soon.

I'm getting 0.18 mb speedtest results. I'm on hold now 15mins, someone is gonna get an earful soon.

Won't be "soon" - I was on hold for 90 minutes before I hung up on Friday and it took them almost 2hrs to reply to me via chat this morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

morgana wrote: »
    Ok, so i live in the sticks in North Cork and have had Ripplecom's fixed wireless at 5-6 Mbps since forever. Now that crowd comes along and, at the initial contact, offers fast BB (max. 100, average 40 - 60 mbps) for 100e with a 200 gig monthly cap (including unlimited VOIP landline calls, but who needs that nowadays) .
    As much as I would have liked faster BB, this offer wasn't going to cut it. Which I told the rep on the phone. Whats the point of having fast BB if you can't use its benefits due to price and very very restrictive cap. I left it at that and he agreed to come back to me if they would change their plans.
    Lo and behold, a week later (!!!!!) I got another phone call - and they changed their plans completely: Now its a 20 gig cap/day (with throttling up to midnight if you go over) for 59.99! Now that's an offer I can live with. Setup fee 150 e, 18 months contract.
    I took a deep breath and said YES, lol. WIthin 2 days I had an installation date just 3 days later. So contract agreed MOnday, finished installation one week later!
    I am impressed. Poor guys had to install in the tail end of storm Imogen!

5068224745.png

Still fiddling around to get it set up fully with my Asus RT-N66U. Its working but not quite the way I want it lol.
    So one very happy camper indeed.

Ya what they have a real habit of doing is promising that they’ll limit the number of sign ups to make sure customers get the best speeds and then they promptly go and over sell jamming up the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMur

Major rant ahead. Something has to be done about this AUP, its an absolute disgrace, unfortunately I've just signed up about a month ago, switched from eir at 30mb to imagine at 140mb, I had previously seen that they had a daily download limit of 20gb per day, And that completely put me off them, after a while had passed I checked them out again, and the only real advertised limit was the 1tb FUP, that's fine, every provider is the same more or less. On the phone when signing up, i asked about a daily limit and was clearly told, no there is no daily limit. Grand.

Why did I switch, main reason is that downloading video games for myself and my kids took forever, wouldn't it great if it only took an hour instead of 8, you could download it and then play it really soon, its 2020!!!

I would like to say that Im aware from reading the comments before that other users have much lower speeds and Im sorry about that and wish you didnt have that hassle and lack of service in 2020.

Then the other day I got a warning email, "You have used 700gb this month, slow down or else", I couldn't believe it, then talking about the customer average, my family steams everything, tv, video games etc... We never go over the 1tb, and as far as Im concerned, I shouldn't be getting threatening letters when Im within my limit.

I couldn't believe the words used in the warning email, "you clearly benefit from this due to your high usage".
    Eh, I benefit from this cause I pay 60 euro a month, and 150 for the installation a month ago, thats why I benefit from it.

Suggesting that you switch to sd (standard definition), suggesting to turn off auto play videos on social media sites. Thats a joke, right? I upgrade to a much higher speed internet and I have to reduce the quality of things I using? No, really, is that a joke, cause it makes ZERO sense at all.

it only got worse when I started to read the AUP, and I rang imagine to query this, no real clear answer, my understanding is that if your usage goes over 20gb you get punished with throttling down to an unusable speed. 1mb according to the representative. Im in disbelief again. This is a cruel joke, right? 1mb, like not 10 even? Thats punishment, not "de-prioritising". AKA, don't do that again or else.

So they are saying that if I download a video game I will be throttled, the rep suggested to use the off peak time, but yet that counts towards the daily AUP, making it pointless, and they suggest that stay up until 1am to download, what if I have work in the morning and need to be up early? Why do I need to put myself out and pussyfoot around my isp when I am paying for this service.

This has made me immediately feel like I cant use a service Im paying for, like I need to continually monitor everything everybody in the house is doing, and I would have been better off staying with eir, in short I was excited moving to high speed internet, now Im saddened and disappointed. I also work from home as a web developer and need the internet for video calls and such, Im now worried about getting throttled and not being able to work for that day.

In short, customers should not be told to limit their activities that they pay 60 euro a month for, they should not be told to downgrade the services that they use on a high speed connection. Ive mentioned the money aspect in this post a few times, Im just so annoyed that Im being treated like this for a paid service, it really is horrible.

The reality is that it makes no noticeable difference to you if you are on a 30mg connection or a 150mb connection when browsing the web, websites will still load the exact same, you wont notice a slow down, as the amount of data to download the files required to view a website on both those connection speeds is not visible to the eye. Only large file downloads will make a difference in the time taken. Which, is punishable according to imagine. If a lot of users were downloading large files at the same time, everyones speed would drop, but not by much, not enough to not be able to browse the web.

So... whats happened, one of two thing, or both. 1) its a money saving measure, and imagine want to limit every cent it costs to transmit data. 2) They dont have the capacity or have oversold, meaning that users cannot use the internet as normal without a slow down.

Both those issues are imagines concern, not their customers and making their customers think that they are abusing the system is plain wrong and bad practice. I certainly will be telling my neighbors, friends and family not to get imagine, and will be cancelling my service if I ever get throttled (cross fingers that it hasn't happened yet) and will be more than happy to create a website outlining all of the points above and allow people to add their own experiences and comments.

I'm not in the position to have gone over any download limits but I got an email stating the details about the AUP which was never mentioned when I signed up. I think it's a bit of a joke that they can come on with this months later and basically say this is what you signed up for. Also asking people to reduce their Netflix etc. settings to HD or SD is a bit rich considering I think they advertised watching those in 4k at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Major rant ahead.... unfortunately I've just signed up about a month ago, switched from eir at 30mb to imagine at 140mb,
    Why!? Surely you've read this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMur

Wish I had before I signed up.

SeanMur wrote: »
    I couldn't believe the words used in the warning email, "you clearly benefit from this due to your high usage".
    Eh, I benefit from this cause I pay 60 euro a month, and 150 for the installation a month ago, thats why I benefit from it.
    I had the same reaction when they included this in one of their earlier replies to me. how dare we complain..

forgot to mention: there seems to be some general throttling at the moment as well. Turns out that one of my issues aside from AUP was indeed due to faulty equipment (feedback from the installer). Both antenna and router were replaced. What was odd though was that the installer, when testing the new installation, noticed lower speeds than what he would have expected based on signal strength etc. He called into their office and after a LONG (around 30 min) discussion with someone in the office came back into the house, advising that "I would have expected a higher speed but after repeated inquires with the office it seems that there is a limit of 25 mbit during peak hours in place and everything is working fine. I have asked repeatedly but did not get anything else." He ran another test and got around 32mbit stating "well I dont know what is going on here.."

I had the same reaction when they included this in one of their earlier replies to me. how dare we complain..

forgot to mention: there seems to be some general throttling at the moment as well. Turns out that one of my issues aside from AUP was indeed due to faulty equipment (feedback from the installer). Both antenna and router were replaced. What was odd though was that the installer, when testing the new installation, noticed lower speeds than what he would have expected based on signal strength etc. He called into their office and after a LONG (around 30 min) discussion with someone in the office came back into the house, advising that "I would have expected a higher speed but after repeated inquires with the office it seems that there is a limit of 25 mbit during peak hours in place and everything is working fine. I have asked repeatedly but did not get anything else." He ran another test and got around 32mbit stating "well I dont know what is going on here.."

There is definitely some throttling going on. My speeds at one third of what I normally get and I'm nowhere near any arbitrary limit they might impose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mercurystorm

Mine is ridiculously slow this week aswell.. and i have only used 2.7gb today so def not prioritized (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

It's pretty much unusable today. Had tow texts yesterday that there was a fault on the Bweeng mast and they were working/investigating the problem. Apparently was not fixed last night and they would be working through the night. HmHa. Went totally around midnight and has been dropping in and out all day with out being the operative word. No more peep out of Imagine, my usage is ca 16 GB for November. Tried ringing but queue time is at least 35 minutes so cba. Unfortunately GOMO which saved me last time things were bad has gone to shyte as well now so I'm really fked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Sounds like they’ve been implementing the Eir customer support manual lately with the wait times people are getting!
    Had issues with them few years back but wasn’t on hold for long at any stage.

Mine is back to somewhat normal speeds today and seems stable for the first time in 10 days. Hopefully will continue like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Imagine has totally failed from the Bweeng mast in Cork the last 24 hours... I’m absolutely raging missed out on loads of US election stuff I wanted to develop.

We are now seriously considering jacking them in completely and going back to mobile broadband.

Seriously not impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Gonzo wrote: »
    replacing cables, routers and even software updates will do very little to solve most Imagine issues, their network is overloaded to the max, there is nothing they can do to fix a network that is completely bottle-necked by far too many customers other than re-introduce the 20 gig a day limit.

There would be know issue except they oversell. The model the sales pitch describes has a cap on the number of subscribers but greed Donald Trumps all promises.

Advertisement