Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Hi, I spoke to imagine & they told me I am located about 2 km outside their antisapated coverage from the Woodcock Hill mast. The mast is due to go live by end of July & they will know more on the actual coverage then. I am located east of Newport but am at a good height & have a very good line of sight to Woodcock Hill so I might be ok. They don't have a mast on Keeper Hill.

Can you post a link for the coverage map to which you refer.

Are you up the White Walls? I'm living outside Rea - on the Cappamore road, so I can't even see Keeper! :(

Here ya go http://www.imagine.ie/lte-fibre-coverage/lte-fibre-broadband-limerick/

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

You should call the salesman back around, get him to repeat the lies and record him discreetly on your mobile phone. Then send him around to me where I will leather him black and blue for lying.

He was a bit of a smooth talking con artist alright, but I think we'll spare him that unhappy fate :P She told him she was reading this thread on Boards (I sent it to her) and he knew about it. So if you're reading this, John the salesman, we've called you out on the lies (but saved you a walloping!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Just off live chat again with the same rep, <snip>. I was seeking clarification regarding the 20GB limit and the usage between midnight and 7am. As they read these boards and this particular thread, it is good that I have been able to get some clarity. I will copy and paste the conversation below.

XXXX: Between the hours of 12 midnight and 7am, am I able to download as much as I want and it will not be counted in my 20GB per day allowance? Is there a maximum amount a person can download in a calendar month? Could I, for example, download 1TB of data in a month, providing I downloaded at least 400GB between 12 and 7am?
    XXXX: Paul you have not responded to my question. Do you know the answer?
    Paul: Hi, Sorry for the delay. You have 20GB per day which works out at 600GB per month however between 12am and 7am the usage is not monitored.
    XXXX: Does that mean I can download as much as I want between those hours everyday and not be worried?
    XXXX: Could I use torrents between 12 and 7am and never be warned?
    XXXX: or have my speed reduced?
    Paul: Yes of course you can download as much as you wish during these times,
    XXXX: OK Paul, that is great news, that is what a lot of people have been concerned about. I'm happy now I know I can torrent all night and then be careful what I use during the day to ensure I do not go over 20GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Hi, I am in the Castlewaller/Fiddane area. There is a Comreg map which shows an Imagine mast between Ballina & Portroe but Imagine don't have a date for when it is likely to be going live. I am not sure how accurate the map is as it doesn't show the Woodcock Hill mast (it seems to show the old mast locations in Limerick City).

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

Search against Imagine Wireless Ltd to display the map!

Hi, I am in the Castlewaller/Fiddane area. There is a Comreg map which shows an Imagine mast between Ballina & Portroe but Imagine don't have a date for when it is likely to be going live. I am not sure how accurate the map is as it doesn't show the Woodcock Hill mast (it seems to show the old mast locations in Limerick City).

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

Search against Imagine Wireless Ltd to display the map!

Hmmm - that's interesting. The only people shown on Woodcock Hill are Airspeed Communications.

Now that I've had a search around that map, it does not show the mast that serves me:
    389598.JPG
    I did an All Channels, all Bands, All operators search and zoomed in ... the horrible Blue X marks the approximate location of the mast that serves Doon, Cappamore and Rearcross.

Using the COMREG siteviewer shows that the 3(4) Mobile Networks Vodafone, Meteor and 3 (and O2) have transmitters on that hill, so I suspect Munster Broadband are co-locating on one of those masts.

With that in mind, there are 6 such transmitters shown on Woodcock Hill. I do seem to remember that Imagine offered their Wimax service into Limerick and it was coming from the Clare Hills, so I'm going to suggest that Imagine are doing a co-lo deal with one of the mobile operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

FYI Imagine don't have masts. They collocate on masts from Towercom, ESBT, 2RN (RTE), etc.

The fwala search shows licence areas for their current spectrum licences, which will be revoked in July next year. They don't necessarily have masts at their centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got email from imagine it is available in my area, but last month got a reply that it wasn't, anyway i know this properly been asked before but 20gb limit dosn't mean anything to me , now in the evening one son is on facebook the other on xbox live playing games , then me on my laptop, will this push the limit?
    im with Permanet at moment, unlimited, but evening speeds are between 1mb to 2mb weekend might get up to 4/5mb, if lucky.
    If i dont get the speeds promised by imagine can i cancel within the 14 days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just got email from imagine it is available in my area, but last month got a reply that it wasn't, anyway i know this properly been asked before but 20gb limit dosn't mean anything to me , now in the evening one son is on facebook the other on xbox live playing games , then me on my laptop, will this push the limit?
    im with Permanet at moment, unlimited, but evening speeds are between 1mb to 2mb weekend might get up to 4/5mb, if lucky.

They won't install it unless the speed is at least 30Mbs at your house. Nearby trees etc can block the signal even if you are in a coverage area. They will then refund your €100.

What the sons are doing probably won't hurt the limit - but it's not clear what you are up to!!! :p

And yes you can cancel within 14 days of service activation whether you get the speeds or not - perhaps you don't like the colour of the antennae :eek: cancel away :p (though they are apparently not connecting people who cannot receive 30Mbps minimum).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭steve3194

Just off live chat again with the same rep, <snip>. I was seeking clarification regarding the 20GB limit and the usage between midnight and 7am. As they read these boards and this particular thread, it is good that I have been able to get some clarity. I will copy and paste the conversation below.

XXXX: Between the hours of 12 midnight and 7am, am I able to download as much as I want and it will not be counted in my 20GB per day allowance? Is there a maximum amount a person can download in a calendar month? Could I, for example, download 1TB of data in a month, providing I downloaded at least 400GB between 12 and 7am?
    XXXX: Paul you have not responded to my question. Do you know the answer?
    Paul: Hi, Sorry for the delay. You have 20GB per day which works out at 600GB per month however between 12am and 7am the usage is not monitored.
    XXXX: Does that mean I can download as much as I want between those hours everyday and not be worried?
    XXXX: Could I use torrents between 12 and 7am and never be warned?
    XXXX: or have my speed reduced?
    Paul: Yes of course you can download as much as you wish during these times,
    XXXX: OK Paul, that is great news, that is what a lot of people have been concerned about. I'm happy now I know I can torrent all night and then be careful what I use during the day to ensure I do not go over 20GB.

Hope this turns out to be accurate. Would be great to be able to download a game from steam and not have to break it up over a couple of nights due to the cap.

• Advertisement

For anyone wondering about coverage etc, you can use this site. I used it a few years ago when I was trying to convince Net1's Director that I should be able to get fixed line of sight to a distant base station after the installers said I couldn't be connected due to a dip in the hill. After sending him this and a convo on the phone, he came out and met me and even put it in for free as I had to go to such extra effort to get the service.

If you know exactly where the base station is in your area, drop the marker on your house and on the station and it will be able to tell if you have line of sight. If you have trees nearby it might not help as they will not be on the map....

https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭irishchris

For anyone wondering about coverage etc, you can use this site. I used it a few years ago when I was trying to convince Net1's Director that I should be able to get fixed line of sight to a distant base station after the installers said I couldn't be connected due to a dip in the hill. After sending him this and a convo on the phone, he came out and met me and even put it in for free as I had to go to such extra effort to get the service.

If you know exactly where the base station is in your area, drop the marker on your house and on the station and it will be able to tell if you have line of sight. If you have trees nearby it might not help as they will not be on the map....

https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/

Very handy. Thanks

Were can you find your nearest base station ?

Were can you find your nearest base station ?

I just asked Imagine what hill it was going to be located on. Once you know, google it to find the location and then check on google maps, you can normally find the mast easily as they are typically in a remote hilltop with a dirt track leading up to them.

So got a call today from Imagine, offered to weave the €50 fee on first payment, so just to pay €100 for install,said if cant get 30mb on day will refund the €100, told me were the base station is seem along way away, 18km, have to see how it goes, 10/14 day install, but 14 days cooling of period from when order placed not when install is,still don't matter if cant get 30mb on day its going back anyway with €100 refund, if i get 30mb ill keep it , as at moment getting 1/3 mb in evenings with permanet.

So got a call today from Imagine, offered to weave the €50 fee on first payment, so just to pay €100 for install,said if cant get 30mb on day will refund the €100, told me were the base station is seem along way away, 18km, have to see how it goes, 10/14 day install, but 14 days cooling of period from when order placed not when install is,still don't matter if cant get 30mb on day its going back anyway with €100 refund, if i get 30mb ill keep it , as at moment getting 1/3 mb in evenings with permanet.

That's not what the law currently states, so that's wrong. The 14 day cooling off period does not start until the service is delivered.

Imagine - Hello? Are you reading this thread??? Tell your sales people to stop lying to people!!! :eek:

I did say what's the point if a 14 day cooling off period ending when you haven't even got the service yet, Reply " yes you do have a point ,does seem a bit silly, but the 14 days will start from now, but you will get a refund if you cant get 30mb".

I did say what's the point if a 14 day cooling off period ending when you haven't even got the service yet, Reply " yes you do have a point ,does seem a bit silly, but the 14 days will start from now, but you will get a refund if you cant get 30mb".

Look, it doesn't matter what they say, the law is on your side, so even if you did get 30Mbps or better, 14 days after it's installed you can cancel without reason and they cannot hit you up for cancelling a contract. You'd probably be sent to see a shrink for doing so though!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    That's not what the law currently states, so that's wrong. The 14 day cooling off period does not start until the service is delivered.

Imagine - Hello? Are you reading this thread??? Tell your sales people to stop lying to people!!! :eek:

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    That's not what the law currently states, so that's wrong......

What law ?

Imagine are providing a service & in that case the 14 day cooling off period starts when the contract is concluded & not on receipt of the goods.

Confirmation of contract

The trader must provide confirmation of the concluded contract to you in a durable format, such as a letter or email. It should include the information mentioned above, if not already supplied in a durable format. It should be provided within a reasonable time after the contract was concluded, and at the latest:

When the goods are being delivered or Before a service is provided

Cooling-off period

You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.

In the case of digital content, the cooling-off period expires when the downloading or streaming starts.

During the cooling-off period, you can cancel a distance contract without giving a reason and without incurring charges or penalties, other than possible charges incurred in returning the goods.

If a trader fails to provide you with information on the right to cancel, the cooling-off period is extended to 12 months from the date it would have expired if the information had been provided. If the trader provides the information within this 12-month period, the cooling-off period expires within 14 days of the consumer receiving it.

Unquote

• Advertisement

Imagine are providing a service & in that case the 14 day cooling off period starts when the contract is concluded & not on receipt of the goods.

How can they be providing a service with no goods ?

The goods in this case is the hardware which remains the property of Imagine. So in effect the contract with Imagine is for the provision of a service & not goods.

The goods in this case is the hardware which remains the property of Imagine. So in effect the contract with Imagine is for the provision of a service & not goods.

Swings and roundabouts, no goods so not supplying a service.

Swings and roundabouts, no goods so not supplying a service.

Doesn't matter, it's from when the contract was concluded :
    In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.

http://www.imagine.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/LTE-Terms-Conditions-Jan-2016.pdf
    At any time within a period of fourteen (14) days from receipt of the Order by imagine, you are entitled to
    cancel the Order for any reason whatsoever on prior written notice to imagine (“the Cooling Off Period”). You
    are liable for any usage charges incurred prior to this cancellation of the LTE Service(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

What kind of modem/router is delivered by Imagine for this LTE service?

gctest50 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, it's from when the contract was concluded :

Thanks, clears up the confusion about that issue. I cancelled 13 days after placing my order without any problems and the €100 was back on my credit card 2 days later.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    What kind of modem/router is delivered by Imagine for this LTE service?

seems like them :

http://www.greenpacket.com/solution

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98656303&postcount=3

" OD adopted an uniquely designed / stripped-down ˝PoE injector
    Wi-Fi Router˝

polaris68 wrote: »
    Thanks, clears up the confusion about that issue. I cancelled 13 days after placing my order without any problems and the €100 was back on my credit card 2 days later.

What made you change your mind if you don't mind me asking,also was the service up and running when you cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

I've seen signs go up around the Ballinhassig area in Cork that Imagine is now available. Anyone in this area get it yet and if so what speeds are you getting?

• Advertisement

What made you change your mind if you don't mind me asking,also was the service up and running when you cancelled.

No, I was to be connected to a mast that is supposedly going live in mid to late July.

Mostly buyer's remorse, we already have an uncapped 7/0.6 broadband connection for €40 per month which does us fine.

There also a few issues with this service which made me a bit uneasy about entering into a 18 month contract. The date for my mast moved from mid-June to late July and they seem to be struggling to get installations done.Their licence for the frequency they're using expires next year, 80Mbps is very attractive now but that will probably fall dramatically when more people get connected to these masts.

Advertisement