Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

steve3194 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Could be worse I suppose.

Not bad going if it drops to double what eircom offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Read a post earlier that downloading between 12am and 7am won't contribute to your daily allowance. Can anyone confirm?

There's been mixed messaging on that but does appear to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

I can't confirm what the speeds will drop to if you're throttled, the sales guy said to me you can still surf, but that's it. I was thinking about 3 to 5m myself.

On the 12-7am no-download cap. This is definitely touchy subject with Imagine. It seems the sales team are telling everyone 12-7am download times does not affect your 20G limit, download away to your hearts content at this time. But this does not seem to be the case. The T&C's say otherwise -

LTE Broadband Package(s) have a monthly data usage allowance, with a daily usage limit. If you reach your
    daily limit your service will be restricted until midnight of the same day. At the beginning of the next day, your
    service and usage will be reset. We apply these limits to ensure quality of service and a fair and level playing
    field for all customers. It’s not the intention to restrict user’s enjoyment of the service including downloading
    games as may be required on an occasional basis. At imagines discretion, occasional usage above your
    daily limit and during the hours of 12am to 7am will be allowed. If we notice continual, disproportionate
    or abnormal download or upload usage patterns, we reserve the right, upon due notice to, terminate the
    provision of your LTE Service(s).

It seems they don't mind the odd occurrence where you need to download a big game, so you can do this between 12-7am, but if they notice you're constantly going over your 20G allowance, or downloading big data at this time period, you'll be warned or terminated (depending on whether the T1000 can find you before Sarah O'Connor does and you get out of dodge).

I'm still waiting on an answer in writing from Imagine on this. I got one reply saying there is a 20G a day allowance and your service is slowed until next day, but nothing yet regarding the 12-7am slot. After 4 emails and 5 days, this was the only reply I got. I've asked again about the 12-7am slot, so I'll let you know if I get any reply.

Regarding the 14 day cooling-off period, Imagine's stance on this, is it's when you initially sign up to the contract over the phone, not when you're connected. Lads on here are saying this is against EU law. Check out the other thread in Broadband ref: 'cooling-off period'.

On a positive note though, if you can afford it, and don't mind the 20G a day cap, it is worth it.
    Still early days though, with imagine still rolling out this new service, but it has been really good so far with myself anyway. Whether this will last, we'll see. As far as I know, they haven't hit the 400 users on my mast yet. Could be less than half that at present. Albeit I have not been downloading anything big really, I'd be an average user. Heavy download users should look in to their T&C's more.

Someone asked earlier about latency? For me anyway, speedtest pings around Ireland have been 20-30ms. Britain varies at about 50ms average.
    I find speeds and pings depend on the host you chose. I always manually chose a host, and try vary it up, as the automatic way will always pick the same nearest and fastest host to you.
    Bar the odd drop in speed just under 30M, most of my results over the last two weeks have come in from 50-90M download. Upload averages 6M. These tests have all been mornings and evenings, and random times over the weekends. Even peak times with the euro matches on and people live streaming RTE, it still didn't do under 50M. As I said though, early adopters will see a decent service, best bet is to see if there is anyone on the thread on a mast that is at or near full capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have signed up here in Cavan but it's not going live until mid July.

Currently our only option is eir fixed line and we're getting 0.9mb down and 0.02mb up. No option of 3G/4g here as we've no signal.

They say they will only install on 30mb down but I'd be delighted with 10!!

Now, judging where the mast is and where I am I'm suspicious about us getting signal. The coverage map shows a black spot about a km away. Guy on the phone says the maps are very accurate and I should be ok, fingers crossed, am only 2.5kms from the mast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭edgari0kas

they are live in Co.Monaghan , but i can't see the coverage map? as i am in Oram area and broadband here is beyond bad , would like to find out is my area covered .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭irishchris

edgari0kas wrote: »
    they are live in Co.Monaghan , but i can't see the coverage map? as i am in Oram area and broadband here is beyond bad , would like to find out is my area covered .

Best bet is to give them a call. They ask for your eircode and then will be able to tell you straight off if you are covered

Just looking up these guys now. Their site doesn't inspire confidence, like it was machine translated from something else.

"By checking coverage, we will be in touch by call or email to let you know."

"One of our team will be in touch really soon to let you know what you are in coverage for."

However, on paper at least, the product seems better than anything else for rural areas...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can you get a Static IP address with Imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Can you get a Static IP address with Imagine?
    Yes if you request it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Had the installers come to my house to see if they could get a signal but they couldn't, even though I was only 16 km from the mast. Trees about 500 metres from my house supposedly blocking the line of sight or some nonsense. Infuriating, let's see how quick they are to refund me my €100 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭steve3194

Talking to them earlier apparently your speed gets cut to 0.5mb if you go over the limit. Asked him about downloading games or things like that occasionally. Was told to start downloads at around 10 at night so allowance would be reset at 12. No mention of the 12am-7am exception. Kind of annoying as the nice thing about good broadband is being able to download large files quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hoki wrote: »
    Had the installers come to my house to see if they could get a signal but they couldn't, even though I was only 16 km from the mast. Trees about 500 metres from my house supposedly blocking the line of sight or some nonsense. Infuriating, let's see how quick they are to refund me my €100 now.

I'd love to know why thats nonsense....

Talking to them earlier apparently your speed gets cut to 0.5mb if you go over the limit. Asked him about downloading games or things like that occasionally. Was told to start downloads at around 10 at night so allowance would be reset at 12. No mention of the 12am-7am exception. Kind of annoying as the nice thing about good broadband is being able to download large files quickly.

Wow, that is some drop to 0.5M. That's terrible. Didn't think it would be that low.
    So no mention of the 12-7am slot? Interesting that. Seem hard to extract any info from them on the 12-7am period all of a sudden. Sales guys were of course telling us different. They might have been told to stop saying that.

On another note. I've noticed my speeds drop drastically today. Hope this is just a once-off and not the signs of yet another broadband provider giving us high speeds for the first few weeks and then going to pot with greed and congestion.

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Wow, that is some drop to 0.5M. That's terrible. Didn't think it would be that low.
    So no mention of the 12-7am slot? Interesting that. Seem hard to extract any info from them on the 12-7am period all of a sudden. Sales guys were of course telling us different. They might have been told to stop saying that.

On another note. I've noticed my speeds drop drastically today. Hope this is just a once-off and not the signs of yet another broadband provider giving us high speeds for the first few weeks and then going to pot with greed and congestion.

What kind of speeds have you been getting today?

going up and down from 26-40M. And higher pings of about 50ms.

And I know some of you are going to say, "Jesus I'd kill my own grandmother for speeds like that".
    Well you lot don't waste your time typing that bull, because none of us want to hear it.

Considering I was averaging 80M for two weeks, that's a lot less.

And I know some of you are going to say, "Jesus I'd kill my own grandmother for speeds like that".
    Well you lot don't waste your time typing that bull, because none of us want to hear it.

You're right its very annoying to see the speed dropping already. Presume you haven't tested going over the 20gb limit yourself?

Why not, if it's a fact ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

Jesus I'd kill my own grandmother for speeds like that.

Be nice to just have constructive and informative posts only, but there ya go, there will always be gimpy adolescent trolls on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

IIRC someone on here had a similar speed drop at some point a few weeks back which was attributed to a fault in the imagine supplied equipment (modem or antenna) and once it was fixed the speeds went back up to normal (70-80M).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

54393164.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I understand that Imagine sales people have been contacting people in Newport Co. Tipperary. Does anybody know whether Newport will be serviced from the Woodcock Hill mast or are they putting a mast on Keeper Hill?

I've seen signs for them on the road from Birdhill to Newport and also a sign at the 5 roads junction in Murroe today. Looking at the coverage map for Limerick (cos Newport is actually in Tipperary :rolleyes:) it seems that Newport and Murroe are on the very limit of the Woodcock Hill mast. So I'm not sure if they've got something on Keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Gooser14

MMFITWGDV wrote:
    I've seen signs for them on the road from Birdhill to Newport and also a sign at the 5 roads junction in Murroe today. Looking at the coverage map for Limerick (cos Newport is actually in Tipperary ) it seems that Newport and Murroe are on the very limit of the Woodcock Hill mast. So I'm not sure if they've got something on Keeper.

Hi, I spoke to imagine & they told me I am located about 2 km outside their antisapated coverage from the Woodcock Hill mast. The mast is due to go live by end of July & they will know more on the actual coverage then. I am located east of Newport but am at a good height & have a very good line of sight to Woodcock Hill so I might be ok. They don't have a mast on Keeper Hill.

Can you post a link for the coverage map to which you refer.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Hi, I spoke to imagine & they told me I am located about 2 km outside their antisapated coverage from the Woodcock Hill mast. The mast is due to go live by end of July & they will know more on the actual coverage then. I am located east of Newport but am at a good height & have a very good line of sight to Woodcock Hill so I might be ok. They don't have a mast on Keeper Hill.

Can you post a link for the coverage map to which you refer.

END of July ? I was told July 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

and so it begins......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I just called them now & they said it is scheduled to go live mid to end of July!

and so it begins......

A month's (possible) slippage vs a 5 year wait for eircom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Is the new mast on Mongorry hill in Donegal live yet, does anyone know?

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that it was due to go live mid July, according to Imagine webchat. Salesman called to my aunt and insisted it was there, live and functioning - he even pointed to it out of the window to indicate how good the line of sight was! Her sight, however, was not good enough to see it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Is the new mast on Mongorry hill in Donegal live yet, does anyone know?

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that it was due to go live mid July, according to Imagine webchat. Salesman called to my aunt and insisted it was there, live and functioning - he even pointed to it out of the window to indicate how good the line of sight was! Her sight, however, was not good enough to see it :p

Just another in a series of lies and avoidance from Imagine. I am just off live chat to <snip>. I have copy and pasted the conversation and edited my name with XXXX. I have left the chat window active, but he has simply not answered my final question relating to downloads between 12 and 7am.

The mast at Mongorry is due to go live mid July. You should call the salesman back around, get him to repeat the lies and record him discreetly on your mobile phone. Then send him around to me where I will leather him black and blue for lying.

"Dear XXXX , Welcome to the Live chat support.
    XXXX: HI there
    Thank you for reaching out to us. You will be attended to soon by one of our agents and your approximate wait time is . In the Interim, Kindly key in what we could help you with in brief (500 Characters Max) and stay Online. Thank you for your patience.
    XXXX: Do you have any update on the mast in Mongorry in Raphoe in County Donegal? Is it due to start any time soon?
    Dear XXXX , All the agents are assisting others. We appriciate your Patience and Please hold and your chat request will be engaged soon.
    Dear XXXX ,Now you are chatting with <snip> and your chat interaction ID is : 2959 Paul: Bear with me one moment and I will check for the latest update
    XXXX: Thanks
    Paul: The Mongorry hill site is due to go live mid-July. You should receive a call from our scheduling department to schedule the install in the next week or two.
    XXXX: OK Thanks for that.
    XXXX: I have one more question
    XXXX: Between the hours of 12 midnight and 7am, am I able to download as much as I want and it will not be counted in my 20GB per day allowance?
    XXXX: Hello, Are you there Paul?
    XXXX: Are you able to provide clarity on this question please Paul?"

Advertisement