Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkest dungeon

Options
  • 07-02-2016 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

A bit surprised no mentioning of it in here.

I am playing it for a good few days. It is like 2d x-com with its own cool mechanics.

As any rogue like games it already made me rage a few times, but like all good rogue games it makes me come back like a little b****.

At one point I went to try kill boss with my A list group. I learned the hard way boss mechanic... Killed my jester that I had fully upgraded for that fight and barely ran away with the rest of the group with destroyed stress levels.
    Since then I killed that boss with other group. From then I decided still not check on bosses tactics online. Its hard, but a lot more fun.

Today I did my first level 3 mission. Got a good few level 3 heroes at this point. I will need to train some heroes to level 2 and tackle a few more bosses.

So? Anyone else got any nerd rage stories?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh, we've mentioned it loads in other threads. I've been raving about it since picking it up, and then I gave it a break because I didn't want to exhaust my enjoyment of it before the full release, but started playing again and it's been beyond addictive. Seriously engrossing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I never heard of it until it actually released. I am happy I didn't. I would not even like it early access though.

In away this game really drives my ocd to level 11. I like my crew always be most optimised and perfect as it can be in rugs and games like this. As we know in darkest dungoen there is no such thing as perfect hero. You have to work away with what you got. All heroes got their disabilities as you would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I never heard of it until it actually released. I am happy I didn't. I would not even like it early access though.

In away this game really drives my ocd to level 11. I like my crew always be most optimised and perfect as it can be in rugs and games like this. As we know in darkest dungoen there is no such thing as perfect hero. You have to work away with what you got. All heroes got their disabilities as you would say.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92074475

T'as been a long time. Was actually polished enough at early access release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

One of the few games that actually used Early Access in it's intended way and got updates based on the early player feedback. It's been on my radar since then but not had the time yet to pick it up and play it (seen some "Let's play" of early access that got me hooked originally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There are so many positives about the game.
    • Top of the list, the art design and sound. The Narrator is perfectly matched with the dialogue, and the sound effects and music are similarly perfect to set the tone for the game - that general sense of horror and stressful combat against terrible monsters. The art style won't age, I don't think.
    • Gameplay is satisfying, combat meaty. Setting up your team in various orders and builds with various trinkets and skills for the perfect run through a dungeon can be great. Equally, it can all be shat upon by a bit of bad RNG luck and running into specific mobs that are bad for your team. Either way, it's as intense as any game I've played (similar to X-Com).
    • It's addictive as crack sometimes. You can't help going for one more dungeon run. Even inside a dungeon, you want to keep going even if the head tells you you're just going to get everyone killed.
    • It's hard. Doesn't hold your hand. Refreshing these days.
    • Each of the heroes is distinct and generally well balanced, even the Abomination though I think that's partly still a work in progress.
    • Dev Communication with the community was superb during early access, and still appears to be.

It's not without it's flaws, however. Midgame can be very grindy while you amass enough Deeds to upgrade various parts of the Hamlet and gold while doing this can be hard to get a hold of since you spend so much as you have to enter the Weald every time and costs more in terms of more healing supplies etc. I think rewards mid game might need a bit of a boost. Trinkets aren't still well balanced either, you end up only using a few of them.

All in all though, the permadeath, stress and gameplay make this a great aul game. I find I can only play it in short bursts sometimes though when it's particularly intense. I want to play more but find I have to take a short break. Personally, I love it - and still have ragequit quite a bit. Even though when I go back to it I realise that, you know I should have done this differently, or it was my own fault for being greedy a lot of the time.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    If you have time to burn and don't mind the longer runs, then you can power-level // min-max profit based on your needs by doing long-dungeons (something I usually avoid), which also give huge resolve XP[

I was referring to the acquisition of Deeds that are required to upgrade the Blacksmith and the Stage Coach. I've played 3 relatively long games and getting Deeds have always been the most lengthy part of my games. To a lesser extent, gold - though there are ways around this. XP isn't too much of a problem at all.

Just Deeds (again to a lesser extent the other heirloom currencies).

The other day, i had a 25 turn fight against the collector.... (lvl 5 long dungeon)

Fck me.

Went on to flat line 2 or 3 times before clearing the whole place out with full crew and making a nice 20k+ score.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Edit your post, go advanced, delete it. :)

Having a Helion with the Iron Swan skill is an absolute godsend against the Collector. That or stacking bleeds/blights while you nuke or stun his summons.

• Advertisement

Awww stop.

Main strat is to kill off any highwaymen as they can nearly 1-hit your party.

But the 14-20 heals from the vestal, coupled with his life steal skill just drew it out. It was more a grind than anything.

Think i had 18 bleed damage on him at 1 stage.

He starts with 144hp i think...

So new class, and a load of late game changes: The Antiquarian Update.

Looks an interesting class, with an interesting (ambiguous) background:

I'm liking the end game changes; they address some of my concerns about the grind for deeds, the cost of upgrading gear at the Blacksmith, and also allow an upgraded stage coach to recruit levelled heroes with levelled gear etc.

Highlights:
    1. New Class: Antiquarian!
    2. New Stage Coach upgrade tree: higher level heroes to recruit!
    3. Quest Rewards: Heirloom type is no longer tied to each region. Instead, a random heirloom reward is generated for each individual quest.
    4. Heirloom Exchange: trade heirlooms in town! You lose a little in each trade, but this is a quick fix to get that upgrade you really need.
    5. Town upgrade pricing adjustments:
    • reduced crest costs for Nomad and Survivalist
    • reduced deed costs in blacksmith
    • slightly increased deed costs in Stage Coach
    • increased crest usage in most buildings by 25%
    • added costs for new stagecoach upgrade tree

There's also a buff to the Highwayman, Duellist's Advance getting Riposte which is great. It's a skill I rarely used as I didn't like him getting stuck on the front lines, but now it could be very useful.

All in all, I'll be heading back to the Darkest Dungeon for a while to try it all out.

Checked out the Antiquarian (albeit a level 0-1 one) and **** me if they're not useless in combat. All about protecting themselves, and making the player money and trinkets. Got lots of gold and bits and pieces from my runs with her, but it does lower your damage output considerably.

Being able to trade heirlooms for other types is useful, but I'm still midgame on my current run so it's not as useful as it will be later on. Randomising the heirloom reward so it's not area -dependent is a nice change, no more incessant weald runs for Deeds.

All in all, lessens the grind quite a bit money and deed wise, which is a plus for me. Good update, RedHook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You have to use the antiquarian on curios to get antiques (they should hammer this home). The make trinket camping skill is awesome. It's clearly a class to let you grind gold quickly which was needed.

I'm not too keen on the trinket changes. The stress damage on the higher ones make them not worth it at higher/medium level dungeons. Where the medium level trinkets with no drawbacks seem way better now. They seem to go from best to worst when they change them.

Beat my first shambler since the full release. It seems to drop the ancestors map first which I think is the best ancestors trinket. It has gone from 50 scouting chance to 25 scout, 25 trap disarm +10 stress damage which is not as good but still the best of the bunch.

n82eL75.png

Some income from a 4x Antiquarian run some lad pulled off. Must have taken ages, given their useless damage output.

I seem to be having the worst luck, because I just can't seem to get an antiquarian in the stagecoach.

On the other hand, managed to completely obliterate the Inchoate Flesh, just got the Sodden Crew to deal with and that's all the early bosses done with that I should've cleared up ages ago. :D

I managed to get an antiquarian after 6 runs, and she was already level 1. Did a quick run and got a really decent amount of money, and although she doesn't do much damage, that blight ability is pretty good. Really interesting character and definitely ties into the risk/reward thing.

Right, just have two mid-level bosses left to take care of now, the Unstable Flesh, and Sunken Crew. Also, did a long dungeon with the antiquarian and damn! I've more gold than I know what to do with. I've even started buying trinkets instead of selling them to afford provisions. :o

Links234 wrote: »
    Right, just have two mid-level bosses left to take care of now, the Unstable Flesh, and Sunken Crew. Also, did a long dungeon with the antiquarian and damn! I've more gold than I know what to do with. I've even started buying trinkets instead of selling them to afford provisions. :o

Save it for those level 4/5/6 armour upgrades. That ****'s expensive.

Save it for those level 4/5/6 armour upgrades. That ****'s expensive.

Oh that goes without saying, but decent trinkets can make all the difference. Healing trinkets for Vestals are huge.

• Advertisement

So, was doing a medium sized champion Ruins run because there was a Vestal scroll with +33 healing as reward and I wanted another one of those. Had a good party, Occultist, Plague Doctor, Abomination and Houndmaster (listed from position 4 > 1) and I got through it fine, but noticed that there was a secret door I missed back the way, so I circled around to go get it, wasn't going to run into anything in the rooms because it was a "complete 100% of room battles" run, worst I'd come across was some stragglers in the corridors and I didn't even need to camp I was doing so well. But then I crit my pants!

THE COLLECTOR! :eek:

I thought oh ****! I was gonna lose one or more of my level 6, almost fully kitted out heroes! I've never had to deal with the Collector on a champion run so far, so this was tense as hell. Right away I started blighting him with the Plague Doctor, once he did Collect Call I had the Occultist hitting him and one of the heads with Abyssal Artillery, and between him and the PD's Plague Grenade, I was hitting the back row like hell. Meanwhile my Houndmaster was alternately on stun duty, keeping Dismas's head under control and stacking bleeds with Hound's Harry, while my transformed abomination was nuking the most dangerous heads. Dismas only managed to get off a couple of headhunts the whole battle, but I had the Collector ticking away with 20-30+ blights, and only had to heal once when the occultist got a nasty crit in the face. The whole thing lasted 11 rounds, and although he was healing himself, The Collector was taking huge blight damage and the occaisional bleed and went down nicely, then I just had to mop up a couple of heads and I was done! :D Then I ran for it! :eek:

Alas I never did get to see what was behind that secret door, but probably just as well, my team made it out with their heads attached. :)

Killed the Necromancer and Prophet at champion difficulty, and I just went on to kill the Swine God, but alas Wilbur that little **** managed to take out my Bounty Hunter who had been with me nearly from the start. **** you, Wilbur. **** you. :mad:

wilbur_white.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I've started Darkest Dungeon properly after even buying it in Early Access. Is there any general tips to get me going?

I've completed a Short, Medium and Long quest and have Reynauld and Dismas up to Resolve Level 3 now, it's a shame I can't bring them on the Apprentice level quests. I've upgraded my Armory to level 2 and Weaponsmith level 1.

I've been using the Antiquarian every second mission or so to get some loot, however usually have more stuff that I can carry usually, is there any way to increase to gold stack amounts above 2000/2500 when you have the Antiquarian with you?

Cravez wrote: »
    I've been using the Antiquarian every second mission or so to get some loot, however usually have more stuff that I can carry usually, is there any way to increase to gold stack amounts above 2000/2500 when you have the Antiquarian with you?

Short of modding the game, and there are some out there for this purpose, I don't believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I generally upgrade armour then weapons, after that specific skills.

And yeah, i've also got an A-Team, who i'll upgrade first and give preferential gear to. I generally include a vestal with group heal and single target heal, and feck all the other skills til later. Prioritize whatever it is you're upgrading.

For instance,
    Vestal - healer
    upgrade armour, forget weapon til later
    upgrade heals
    gief trinkets, pretty trinkets!

damage dealers and tanks are pretty much the same, but prioritizing armour for tanks first, and weapons for damagedealers first.

Plaguedoctors are lethal with graverobbers if you're using poison darts, even on high resistance mobs

gief trinkets, pretty trinkets!

Am I the only one who never gives trinkets to my heroes on a permanent basis? I unequip all after each mission and then equip whatever I need for my next mission based on who I'm taking (and their quirks, etc).

From replaying at release, I was careful not to overlevel characters or areas. You don't want to have a lvl 1/3 boss battle where you need a class that you already have at 5 or even an unusable party one level below everyone else.

I prioritise good trinkets before heirlooms and upgrade the stage coach to three heros and barracks as needed then blacksmith armor and weapons at the same level as its cheaper to get armor to three than weapons to four and the cost goes up so much you can sometimes not afford to buy the higher upgrades anyway.
    As I level the areas at the same time I have an even amount of heirlooms so use the portraits on the guild and busts on the abbey (bottom room first as it has the highest stress recovery) and the sanitarium only for cure diseases as the cove has the reef that cures diseases anyway. Everything else can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Am I the only one who never gives trinkets to my heroes on a permanent basis? I unequip all after each mission and then equip whatever I need for my next mission based on who I'm taking (and their quirks, etc).

If one of your trinketwearing guys dies, you get it back, it's only a loss if you lose the entire group, that being said you need the inventory space to pick it up, and you need to actually win the fight that your character died in too

If one of your trinketwearing guys dies, you get it back, it's only a loss if you lose the entire group, that being said you need the inventory space to pick it up, and you need to actually win the fight that your character died in too

I learned this the hardway after they buffed the shambler in the beta.

• Advertisement

I still haven't killed the Shambler... I tried once, got utterly decimated, and haven't attempted it since.

Advertisement