Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darkest dungeon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

just jumped back into this today have not played it since early access i think, was really enjoying it love the new classes that werewolf guy is great, i still find it makes me rage quit i was doing so well then all team died from heart attacks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ye can turn them off in the options in a game. Actually ye can turn off most of the new stuff they added in there if you wanna take easy on your next playthrough. The corpses are a pain in the face most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Heart attacks ... RUN AWAY lads. You can retreat from combat and abandon the quest at any time (though you can fail the run away check ... which causes more stress).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This review hits on some of the reasons I stopped playing this game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Buwei6ZWqU&t=1s

The RNG can really screw you over which can leave you losing a level six character and having to quit, which can be a huge problem if you are fighting the Volf or the darkest dungeon. I was getting ready to run the DD missions after getting all my characters up to level six with all the ancestor trinkets and all the bosses cleared when I got the Volf incursion and lost two level six characters. Not being able to run the DD with the same character twice means I need to dismiss some characters and grind some more useful ones.

I'd prefer if they gave you a larger barracks and made locking quirks in cheaper. Also 75% protection on level six fungal scratchers, yeah just skip the weald at level six unless you have character available with a mark target skill that reduces protection (only 2/3 character types have this).

Still the game is great fun until you get to the late part of the game and definitely worth playing.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they gave you a larger barracks and made locking quirks in cheaper.

It's fairly easy to modify one of the config files to increase your roster size. I usually do it on my games, because there's no real reason for the limit, and it doesn't actually give you any advantage to have a bigger roster - you still have to put the time in to get the heroes up to the desired level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Man **** this game

Killed the Apprentice Necromancer there now. Found my first 5 or 6 runs were a nightmare, it got to the stage where I was entering a dungeon and going until someone nearly died, and quitting, lowered the stress for everyone else then.

I quite like the Occultist and Highwayman, and the Man at Arms is good too.

It's a lot easier once you figure out what's actually happening with the stats and stuff, the tutorial only goes so far with a game like this

Occultist is my healer of choice, unless I'm in a boss encounter. Then it's back to my sweet Vestal. Still, nothing quite like a critical *43* heal in times of need.

Wyrd Reconstruction and Abyssal Artillery are nice, I'm at the stage where theres no point buying everything for everyone so most of my characters have a move or two they can't use on any given turn

All my Vestals are so squishy

• Advertisement

Seldom though, are they targeted for damage. Utilise your MAA or Crusader to keep focus off the healer. Guard, etc.

Dodge trinkets are nice, since healing misses on Vestals are rare enough. Though with RNG etc...

MAA?

I'm starting to get the hang of it, definitely need less Witch Doctors and HWM for more healers.

Lunge and Shadow Fade on a Grave Robber, Whatever moves the HWM forward and Point Blank, with Holy Lance on a Crusader is a pretty nice set-up, Witch Doctor at the back healing and cheesing 3 for 3 Blight

Sorry. Man At Arrms. Great block, Guard, solid tank.

Grave Robbers are one of my solid favourites.
    They have it all. Dodge, Damage, mobility. Great classes.

Ah sorry yes, should have copped that. Had a short run with a Jester but he went down easily, and one of my only TPKs had an abomination I found useless so I've been put off both.

Are you still playing it?

In and out, but I'm waiting for the Crimson Court before starting a new campaign to get stuck in properly.

Ah okay, is it still a matter where just kicking the crap out of everything is better than playing a longish strat

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean there?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Oh I'm well aware of their benefits - but that's the thing, everyone has benefits. Jesters are just too squashed into one particular role -- and that's not forgetting the fact that we're not quite out of the 'hitting stuff for direct damage or control ASAP is 90% better than using a turn for anything else' phase. Even bleed/blight falls under the thumb - difference is it can be super strong vs most if not all boss fights, or any prolonged fight in general, so that is a little more forgiving than doing no damage/CC at all for a turn, even if the buffs are great (Riposte buff comps being a 50/50 exception).

You can have as much +Spd and +Dgd as you like, you'll still eventually eat damage from something that you could have very well killed by just hitting it very hard with a big stick.

Is this still relevant basically :pac: I made a poor attempt at asking it

Oh, I have no idea what the optimal strat is. I don't game it that much, I just do what I feel like and what gets me results. I don't take it that seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Suprised noones mentioned the DLC Launching June 19th

In case you’ve missed some of the earlier announcements on what to expect, let’s
    • recap:
    • A new hero class. “Awash in blood and delusion, they bear the burden of a thousand lifetimes.”
    • A new wandering boss: The Fanatic
    • A new dungeon region: The Courtyard
    • A full faction of new deadly foes
    • 4 new, unique Courtyard Bosses with some of the most complex and devious mechanics yet.
    • Massive, sprawling maps with locked doors, prisoner rooms, and progress saves
    • Districts: New prestige buildings that offer permanent, estate-wide bonuses
    • Lore-driven trinket sets for all heroes - with set bonuses!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/262060/announcements/detail/1262543810907492439

LiqNM43.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Crew Boss killed my favourite character yesterday. I'd beaten it easily enough before but with the make up of the team I wasn't doing enough damage. I went to retreat when the character was submerged and she was instakilled.

• Advertisement

Base game down to €12

https://www.gog.com/game/darkest_dungeon

DLC lands on PC in 4 days too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any time this goes on sale, i want to buy it again.

But then i remember what it does to me :(

T-Minus 4 hours, launch trailer below

Anyone else finding the new narrator lines a little weird sounding? As if they're muffed, or the quality of the sound file isn't quite right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The base game is 9.19 on Steam right now.

The new mechanics are pretty.... tough

The Trinket rebalancing has been met with some salt to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Need to get back to playing this (possibly from scratch though; can't even remember where I'm at in my original playthrough, but don't think I was in a super spot)

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Need to get back to playing this (possibly from scratch though; can't even remember where I'm at in my original playthrough, but don't think I was in a super spot)

If you intend on getting the DLC, it might be better to do a fresh playthrough, perhaps in Radiant (see: Sped up) mode

I have a playthough on about week 75 on PC and week 105 on PS4. Both on "Darkest" and Default

I am legit going to finish my PS4 playthrough asap before any of these balancing changes come into affect on Console :/
    Thankfully I only have 2 DD runs (Belly of the Beast & Hell is the Heart) and 3x Lvl5 Bosses left (Hag, Flesh, Pounder) and I am 100% done!

I'm a little ashamed to admit I always pussy out of Shambler fights. I've only attempted it a handful of times in 255 hours of Darkest Dungeon. I think it traumatised me early in my DD lifetime and as such I've been scared.

My first Shambler kill was today, with a party of two level 0s and two level 1s. Occultist - Houndmaster - Grave Robber - Bounty Hunter.

A trifling victory ... but a victory nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The new mechanics are pretty.... tough

The Trinket rebalancing has been met with some salt to say the least
    Pretty tough? That's an understatement of the week seeing how bloody rare blood is...

They patched the Blood drop rate over the last day or two

iPad version coming AUGUST 24TH

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-coming-to-ipad-on-august-24th/
    “For those of you who own Darkest Dungeon on PC, Mac, or Linux, we’ve also put in a very handy feature: using Dropbox, you can export your save file from your computer and then import it into the iPad version. That way, you don’t have to start an all new game if you don’t wish!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm going to be participating in an interesting community (i guess) event.
    It's called "Reddit vs Darkest Dungeon".
    Not sure if there's been similar on Boards, perhaps there has, it's a great idea though.

But essentially, you get a load of players and you share the save file between you, in turns.
    It's something thats been done before for games on Reddit apparently.
    So we all do 5 weeks/dungeons in DD and then you upload the save to the cloud, and pass it on to someone else and do a write up/cliff notes of your run for the next player/rest of the players.

The key difference is I am planning on Streaming my run on Twitch (but it'll be from PC, as opposed to PS4 where i normally stream DD).
    I'll pop an ole message/post up at the time, but it'll likely be 9pm BST Wednesday at this stage.
    Could be a fun one as basically the game is being shared by ~20 of us so it could go brilliantly or horribly wrong.

The channel for anyone interested is: www.twitch.tv/genericdreadhead

Full details of the process for "Succession games" and all the Journal entries for Weeks 1 -> 30 (I'm playing 30 -> 35) are in the thread here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/70ad3v/reddit_vs_darkest_dungeon_official_thread_mild/

The mods here have given this post their blessing fwiw

That's a cool idea GD, gonna steal it for boards, Darkest Dungeon might be a bit too hardcore though.

Civilisation would be a good bet for something less sweaty maybe

Pokemon was my great idea, trade after every gym, Civ would work well too. Xcom could be done also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thought this was a fun, alternative way of playing through Darkest Dungeon: https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/24/twitch-broadcaster-turns-single-player-darkest-dungeon-into-a-co-op-game/

🤪

• Advertisement

New Hero (Shieldbreaker) is gonna be live on PC in 6 hours.
    It will be $3.99 so probably €3.99 (bit much for the content, but I do like supporting the developers of this game)
    Personally gonna wait till the PS4 release myself as my "main" playthrough is on one of my PS4 save files

http://store.steampowered.com/app/702540/Darkest_Dungeon_The_Shieldbreaker/
    New hero class: the Shieldbreaker
    Dynamic, tactical skill set for the Shieldbreaker featuring all new combat mechanics including: Armor Piercing, Guard Break, and Stealth
    Shieldbreaker class-specific trinkets, including a set.
    3 New Monsters - frightful illusions from the Shieldbreaker's origin, now slithering forward to infest the Estate
    New Consumable Item - Aegis Scale, providing a last bastion of protection for when a hero truly needs it.

DNAX4KOW0AEnBGx.jpg

Well, i know what I'm doing tonight (getting paranoid and stressed out in the Dungeon).

I can't seem to find anywhere on the subreddit, forums or steam if this is savegame compatible (ie we don't need to start a new one). I presume the enemies and new hero will just pop up in the Dungeon and Staging Coach respectively.

You should be able to simply add the character to your existing play through, same as with Crimson Court. So yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Been getting back into this game after quitting on it back near launch (as i never fully cleared the game) Not sure if the PS4 has mods but there are a few mods i fully recommend.

Marvin Seo has 3 class mods that fit really well into the Darkest Dungeon universe. Falconeer, Lamia and Thrall. They are well balanced and beautifully "animated" All mods come with sub mods that give trinkets and a quest to get them immediately from the stagecoach. I have tried other class mods but they either don't look right or are horribly overpowered.

Another mod is one that increases background art variation, so it looks like you are travelling down different corridors each time. And the last one is a mod that removes the group restrictions on the Abomination.

You can also go into the config files and increase the capacity of your roster to accommodate the 3 new heroes

The PS version does not have Mods.

I wouldn't be in favour of removing the Abomination restriction personally, as I'm a bit of a purist tbh.
    It would be removing a game design choice the devs made and essentially making the game "easier", like removing Corpses etc

Have heard of Lamia and Thrall on PC, but not the Falconeer. Will look into the Falconeer and Increased background art

I'd be inclined to recommend trying to finish the game once without any additional classes (and stagecoach mods) because well..... purist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The PS version does not have Mods.

I wouldn't be in favour of removing the Abomination restriction personally, as I'm a bit of a purist tbh.
    It would be removing a game design choice the devs made and essentially making the game "easier", like removing Corpses etc

Have heard of Lamia and Thrall on PC, but not the Falconeer. Will look into the Falconeer and Increased background art

I'd be inclined to recommend trying to finish the game once without any additional classes (and stagecoach mods) because well..... purist

Well when it first came out i got to the Darkest Dungeon and had almost a full roster of level 5 heroes. I lost 2 squads to the dungeon and then i just kinda drifted away from the game. Having started it again i started fresh but decided to mod this time as i cleared "most" of the content on my very first run. So i kinda sorta cleared it purist first time.......r-right?

Abomination restriction removal was simply because i found it hard to get him into group and always ended up bring another tank instead. And since the Lamia isn't restricted i thought **** it...

You shouldn't be playing Abom as a tank, he's better in Slot 2 as a "support/dps".
    Double Blight and Stun, self heal and doesn't cause teammates stress!
    I cleared "most" of the content on my very first run. So i kinda sorta cleared it purist first time.......r-right?

Come on now.
    Stop playing the game the way you enjoy, and start playing the game the way that is least shameful

New DLC Coming Early/Spring 2018 (apparently)

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-color-of-madness-dlc/
    Some hateful shard of alien origin has streaked through the night sky, crashing into the old Miller’s farm on the outskirts of the Hamlet! Those unfortunate enough to witness the Comet’s arrival have been blinded by what they can only describe as a shifting, ephemeral hue of damnably abrasive intensity. There has been no word from the farm in a fortnight, save for the unearthly groaning that echoes from the ruin of the mill…

A New Quest Type: Get lost in time and space as you confront unending waves of enemies, new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet. Survive as long as you can stomach, and compare your highest kill count with friends and rivals alike!
    A New Enemy Faction: The husks of the Miller and his farmhands roam the area around the windmill, spreading the all-consuming influence of the Comet’s light.
    Powerful New Trinkets: Visit the Nomad Wagon and spend Comet Shards to purchase trinkets with new and powerful functionality.

The team at Red Hook is thrilled to continue to support Darkest Dungeon with this latest DLC. We’re committed to providing our new and veteran players alike with the very best in all-consuming misery and morbidity. The Color of Madness DLC is planned for a spring release, and pricing information will follow in the new year.

New "Colour of Madness" DLC info

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/harvest-moon/

Also the game is like €1.30 on the App store for iPad at the moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement