Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkest dungeon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If one of your trinketwearing guys dies, you get it back, it's only a loss if you lose the entire group, that being said you need the inventory space to pick it up, and you need to actually win the fight that your character died in too

I know, yeah.

I more meant that I don't have a Houndmaster, say, with 2 permanent trinkets and other Houndmasters have to find their own... I have trinkets that I share with all my Houndmasters - depending on which one I'm taking out. That way, I only have to have one/two copies of the Spiked Collar (Very Rare status) and can sell the rest. No need for massive duplication.

(Side note, been caught a few times with this - retreating out of fights where I lost a lad, then realising that **** I've left the trinkets in there. Damnit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

lost so many jesters that way, is it just my luck or do they deliberately get picked on more than anyone else?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It's because Jesters are pants :P

Krusty my jester would be pissed off to hear that, they're actually really decent if you're using them as support, they have a great speed & dodge buff, plus the aimed stress reduction thing, and the bleeds they do stack with other bleed skills. They've also got an inherently high speed rating - i think i'm just unlucky with mine, they always get targeted before anything else and get mashed into little bits :/

some of those longer dungeons are a nightmare for camping though, and most of the time when i do camp, it's because it's direly needed, and guess what.. i get ambushed more than half the time xD dastards!

Wake up, they are upon us! :D

lost so many jesters that way, is it just my luck or do they deliberately get picked on more than anyone else?

Actually, I'm coming around to this. Doing some money making cheese runs. Twice I brought a Jester, and nearly every attack was against him. Beginning to wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Started Playing this 2 days ago here's what I think so far

F**k the Necromancers Apprentice!
    Can't believe I waited this long to play!
    The art style is amazing!
    F**k Abusive Party Members!
    Don't get attached to your only Level 2 Character :(
    I spent way too much trying to "Cure" and "Destress" party members, next run, those ****ers get shown the door.
    I took way too long to realise I could use objects with Curios!

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Narrator deserves endless praise - did such a great job. I hear a new class and/or enemies are coming out at some point soon. Really hope they continue the game with DLC or the likes - it's not something that should be left as it is.

Crimson Court DLC, if I remember correctly is coming soon (as in the next month or two). Vampires as enemies, I believe, as well as a vampire-disease-related encounter similar to the Shambler or the Collector. Vampire Hunter. Looks really interesting, curious as to the price point (though unless it's totally exorbitant, I won't care and will get it straight away). I've gotten a lot of time and enjoyment out of this game, so they deserve the money.

I think I alse saw on reddit they're doing a narrator for DOTA2 with the DD narrator, if you play that. I personally don't but it's cool all the same.

EDIT: Sorry the image is so big :(

Found this on Reddit. Ultimately these guys caused my downfall playing with VESTAL + JESTER + HELLION + CRUSADE (since no one could attack the back line, lead to obvious problems with the final boss too)

jlox3hux3r8y.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can't believe I waited this long to play!
    The art style is amazing!
    F**k Abusive Party Members!
    Don't get attached to your only Level 2 Character :(
    I spent way too much trying to "Cure" and "Destress" party members, next run, those ****ers get shown the door.
    I took way too long to realise I could use objects with Curios!
    Paladin with their area damage dealing is great for it; put two in the front and go to town. Honestly of all the bosses the one who by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar gave me most grief was the Hag; I've partially or fully wiped on her at level five 8 times... The Cannon has also caused hassle on a bad roll but the Hag is by far the most evil monster out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I still wants this on tablet. I loved it on pc, but I think it would be such a great game on portable device.
    I think it is out on ps vita, but I traded in my vita to get new 3ds xl. I am not going to buy it again though, it's way too dead.

• Advertisement

Started a new Hamlet last night (even though I didn't complete the game with the previous one ... in fact I've never beaten the DD). Since last I played, the animations seem a bit smoother, and there's a few things changed visually, which is nice.

That bastard Reynauld stole 2 deeds, 8 portraits and about 1,000 gold from me in my first foray into the Ruins. Going to have to get that trait off him as soon as I can, the thieving ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Never finished this game. I rage quit when i lost my level 6 A and B team in 2 quests back to back. First team to a random dungeon run and the second during the "Wolves at the Door" event quest. For the dungeon it was kinda my own fault since i kinda had the wrong team set up for the Warren but chanced my arm anyway. But the Wolves quest was a massive step up in difficulty. I think i only took 5% of the bosses HP during the final fight since i could barely attack him cause i was in damage control mode the whole time.

Will give this game another look for sure when the DLC comes out. Easily one of the best games of 2016 despite my rage quit :o

On about Week 40 now (having started a fresh run).
    Killed all of the 8 bosses in their 1st iteration with some help from the Wiki for tips and even killed the lvl 2 Necromancer and the Collector (Twice)

Access to lvl4 Skills, lvl3 Weapons and lvl3 Armour and have my roster up to 28.

I'm hoarding a metric s**t tonne of trinkets though

Things are actually looking pretty decent :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Never finished this game. I rage quit when i lost my level 6 A and B team in 2 quests back to back. First team to a random dungeon run and the second during the "Wolves at the Door" event quest. For the dungeon it was kinda my own fault since i kinda had the wrong team set up for the Warren but chanced my arm anyway. But the Wolves quest was a massive step up in difficulty. I think i only took 5% of the bosses HP during the final fight since i could barely attack him cause i was in damage control mode the whole time.
    For wolves at the door I learned quickly the way to "win" is to send out a level 0 / 1 team of what ever without trinkets and then quit directly. You lose 1 random team member but keep your town safe.

As for me I rage quit at level 6 doing the mansion missions; 'eff those special abilities of "normal" mobs...

Noted for my second playthrough sometime in the future. Although that sounds somewhat unintended. Why even have an event like that when you can bypass it by just sacrificing a single guy.

On about Week 40 now (having started a fresh run).
    Killed all of the 8 bosses in their 1st iteration with some help from the Wiki for tips and even killed the lvl 2 Necromancer and the Collector (Twice)

Access to lvl4 Skills, lvl3 Weapons and lvl3 Armour and have my roster up to 28.

I'm hoarding a metric s**t tonne of trinkets though

Oh just you wait! I found the middle of the game to be the easiest also. My warriors generally would have the highest level skills and equipment available for their level, which is just the situation you seem to be in at the moment. Just you wait boyo!

Noted for my second playthrough sometime in the future. Although that sounds somewhat unintended. Why even have an event like that when you can bypass it by just sacrificing a single guy.
    It's built into the event that you lose 1 guy randomly if you quit out without winning as punishment of the event which means instead of fighting and losing along the way you simply quit on the first room :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can't play this without rage quitting. It's just too much for me :o

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Kiith wrote: »
    I can't play this without rage quitting. It's just too much for me :o
    You're not alone; it's X-Com LW mod ironman mode basically :P

My wife asked me what got me so winded up because I'd be cursing at the screen when the dice failed over and over again while they got crit on crit on crit which basically never happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

just jumped back into this today have not played it since early access i think, was really enjoying it love the new classes that werewolf guy is great, i still find it makes me rage quit i was doing so well then all team died from heart attacks :D

ye can turn them off in the options in a game. Actually ye can turn off most of the new stuff they added in there if you wanna take easy on your next playthrough. The corpses are a pain in the face most of the time

Heart attacks ... RUN AWAY lads. You can retreat from combat and abandon the quest at any time (though you can fail the run away check ... which causes more stress).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This review hits on some of the reasons I stopped playing this game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Buwei6ZWqU&t=1s

The RNG can really screw you over which can leave you losing a level six character and having to quit, which can be a huge problem if you are fighting the Volf or the darkest dungeon. I was getting ready to run the DD missions after getting all my characters up to level six with all the ancestor trinkets and all the bosses cleared when I got the Volf incursion and lost two level six characters. Not being able to run the DD with the same character twice means I need to dismiss some characters and grind some more useful ones.

I'd prefer if they gave you a larger barracks and made locking quirks in cheaper. Also 75% protection on level six fungal scratchers, yeah just skip the weald at level six unless you have character available with a mark target skill that reduces protection (only 2/3 character types have this).

Still the game is great fun until you get to the late part of the game and definitely worth playing.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they gave you a larger barracks and made locking quirks in cheaper.

It's fairly easy to modify one of the config files to increase your roster size. I usually do it on my games, because there's no real reason for the limit, and it doesn't actually give you any advantage to have a bigger roster - you still have to put the time in to get the heroes up to the desired level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Man **** this game

Killed the Apprentice Necromancer there now. Found my first 5 or 6 runs were a nightmare, it got to the stage where I was entering a dungeon and going until someone nearly died, and quitting, lowered the stress for everyone else then.

I quite like the Occultist and Highwayman, and the Man at Arms is good too.

It's a lot easier once you figure out what's actually happening with the stats and stuff, the tutorial only goes so far with a game like this

Occultist is my healer of choice, unless I'm in a boss encounter. Then it's back to my sweet Vestal. Still, nothing quite like a critical *43* heal in times of need.

Wyrd Reconstruction and Abyssal Artillery are nice, I'm at the stage where theres no point buying everything for everyone so most of my characters have a move or two they can't use on any given turn

All my Vestals are so squishy

• Advertisement

Seldom though, are they targeted for damage. Utilise your MAA or Crusader to keep focus off the healer. Guard, etc.

Dodge trinkets are nice, since healing misses on Vestals are rare enough. Though with RNG etc...

Advertisement