Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax To Be Abolished by Renua

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

only if I get a free iPad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

They'll get my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

calmese1.php?anno=1977&mese=6

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

€4 billon in road tax last year no chance any party would scrap it

yes. they're the same people that give out about every government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Are people really that gullible to think the 'promises' will actually come through?

I would like to counter that with a quote from Brendan Rodgers
    Originally Said by BRENDAN
    “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,408 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Are they offering magic beans aswell?

Gatling wrote: »
    €4 billon in road tax last year no chance any party would scrap it

A fuel levy will replace it, so it's not like the four billion will be obliterated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Renua's election manifesto:

2rrFBbH.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the price of interesting old cars, bangernomics cars etc would skyrocket, so it's not all good news for petrol heads, in fact, it could be worse.

(I am Liverpool supporter)

As am I good sir ;)

the price of interesting old cars, bangernomics cars etc would skyrocket, so it's not all good news for petrol heads, in fact, it could be worse.

Nah, don't see that happening to be honest. Our prices aren't particularly higher than the UK for similar cars, where the rates are drastically lower.

Now if they coupled it with scrapping VRT, it would absolutely transform what you see on the roads. But that seems unlikely.

Down with sub 2.0 liter depression boxes, and V8's for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

daRobot wrote: »
    If you vote Renua into power:

http://www.thejournal.ie/renua-flat-tax-2368262-oct2015/#comment-4306641

Seeing as they're the only party to actually address this issue, do your job as a car lover and give them support.

There's no mention of that in their manifesto

http://www.renuaireland.com/2016/01/04/manifesto/

And also seems to be missing from their site

http://www.renuaireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Are people really that gullible to think the 'promises' will actually come through?

worked for Odumbo.... twice :facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

A fuel levy will replace it, so it's not like the four billion will be obliterated.

I take it that means they intend to penalise those that drive more.
    So those in rural areas that have rubbish public transport and no alternative but to commute large distances due to the fact there are no jobs in the locality are to be targeted by fuel levies.
    I commute 2.5hrs per day at great expense not by choice but because there are no better jobs nearby. There is no "recovery" in the west and there are no additional jobs.
    Some of these politicians can't seem to understand we can't all walk to the nearest public transport and get the next available bus, luas, dart etc.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's no mention of that in their manifesto

http://www.renuaireland.com/2016/01/04/manifesto/

And also seems to be missing from their site

http://www.renuaireland.com

I hadn't looked at their manifesto, but thanks to you linking to it, I did.

And it's there on page 13, and 15 of the 76 page pdf document.

gabe1977 wrote: »

Yes, of course, what other way do you see it being fair? Penalise those who drive less?

gabe1977 wrote: »
    So those in rural areas that have rubbish public transport and no alternative but to commute large distances due to the fact there are no jobs in the locality are to be targeted by fuel levies.
    I commute 2.5hrs per day at great expense not by choice but because there are no better jobs nearby. There is no "recovery" in the west and there are no additional jobs.
    Some of these politicians can't seem to understand we can't all walk to the nearest public transport and get the next available bus, luas, dart etc.

it'd probably be in your favour.

if you drive a 1.9 diesel on the old system, your tax is 710 a year, right?

you don't have to pay that €710 any more so you can spend it on diesel, diesel is currently 1.05 and lets say they put 5c on (the figure that's usually thrown around in these threads), that's €1.10 per liter.

that means you could buy 645 liters of diesel with your motor tax saving, now if your diesel car will do 50 mpg, that's over 7100 miles of diesel. tidy bit of a saving in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

it'd probably be in your favour.

if you drive a 1.9 diesel on the old system, your tax is 710 a year, right?

you don't have to pay that €710 any more so you can spend it on diesel, diesel is currently 1.05 and lets say they put 5c on (the figure that's usually thrown around in these threads), that's €1.10 per liter.

that means you could buy 645 liters of diesel with your motor tax saving, now if your diesel car will do 50 mpg, that's over 7100 miles of diesel. tidy bit of a saving in fairness.

And that is why turkeys will always vote for Christmas!
    The thinking of "oh, I'll save myself a lot of money!", not in a million years! Does anyone really think any government will bring in anything that makes anything cheaper for anyone? (Except the rich)
    And, a 5 cent levy? Are you kidding? You must be on the sauce early :p This is Ireland, 50 cent at the very least. The motto here is "Stupra Bastardus", screw the bastard for anything you can. You would refuse to make good money in this country if you could make a killing.
    You can choose not to get fcuked one way, but if you think you won't now get fcuked another way, you were born yesterday. The only choice we have is between crooks and loons, but to think we'll be better off somehow is ridiculous.

and keep in mind the price of petrol isn't gonna stay at it's current low point.

I'm not saying i'd be in favour at all.

Just we are all so quick to cry poverty in Ireland without even doing the maths.

motor tax income is going to fall sharply as pre 08 cars die off.

Seeing as they're the only party to actually address this issue, do your job as a car lover and give them support.

Hopefully most car lovers are also somewhat concerned about the bigger picture and won't vote for a political party based on one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

If the powers-that-be even followed the Isle of Man example, and reduced road tax by 50% for vehicles over 25 years old, many a petrol head would be very pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If only there were no other considerations but motor tax...

I'll keep paying the tax, to avoid their other bonkers notions.

If only there were no other considerations but motor tax...

I'll keep paying the tax, to avoid their other bonkers notions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Seriously, people here really think the government will do anything for a: older cars and b: larger engined cars?
    Nothing is hated more in Ireland by the state, SIMI and insurance companies. The expressed policy is to eradicate anything older than 10 years and anything over 2 liters. To think this will ever change is deluded. They want you to drive a 5 year old Focus and with a car that old, you should think of scrapping it and buy an nice, new shiny one. With a 1 liter petrol or 1.5 diesel.

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote: »
    If the powers-that-be even followed the Isle of Man example, and reduced road tax by 50% for vehicles over 25 years old, many a petrol head would be very pleased!

All very well, till you go looking for a quote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement