Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham vs Watford - 3:00 KO

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Martin567 wrote: »
    Back in 1985, Spurs only missed out on 2nd place right at the end of the season. They were battling Everton for top spot until well into April.

Could be we were 2nd in Feb in that season, not really possible to validate on the web.

First Division 1984-85
    Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
    1 Everton 42 28 6 8 88 43 45 90
    2 Liverpool 42 22 11 9 68 35 33 77
    3 Tottenham Hotspur 42 23 8 11 78 51 27 77
    4 Manchester United 42 22 10 10 77 47 30 76
    5 Southampton 42 19 11 12 56 47 9 68

Martin567 wrote: »
    Back in 1985, Spurs only missed out on 2nd place right at the end of the season. They were battling Everton for top spot until well into April.

You are correct! We were 2nd from Feb through the end of March when the wheels came off.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1984-1985/table/1985-02-02

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1984-1985/table/1985-03-31

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Superb deserved win

Possibly our most important goal of the season so far

Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

CajWgxaXIAE70P5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

ziedth wrote: »
    I thibk that was the Season Defoe was a toe short of scoring a last min winner v City and they went up the other end and scored a penalty. I think I'd memory serves me right winning that game would have has us near enough second (certainly a win away)

Exactly yeah, I remember that so well and even at the time I thought that could be a major turning point in our season. We deserved to win that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

today was a big win chaps. I honestly think that not having a back-up striker/goal scorer could cost us the ultimate prize. Today we needed someone who could take the chances/half-chances that were being created and thank god for trippier popping up to get the points. Next week city could be a different animal to today and id take a point to be honest.

The home defeat to Leicester where we were the better team could well come back to bite us in the arse, we'd be alone on top right now if we had bagged the 3pts we deserved that day, and level with them if we had drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Inquitus wrote: »
    The home defeat to Leicester where we were the better team could well come back to bite us in the arse, we'd be alone on top right now if we had bagged the 3pts we deserved that day, and level with them if we had drawn.

Newcastle at home was the killer for me... Lets just hope leicester drop a few points but kudos to them if they hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I recall been ridiculed around these parts over the points we dropped in the first 3 games of the season.

"Cop yourself on".
    "It's only the first month of the new season"
    "4 or 5 points won't matter come May".
    ... words to that effect. Of course, at the time I made the point that those 4 or 5 points could cost us a CL place.

Not in my wildest dreams did I'd think we'd be in a title race. And I'm really enjoying the ride.

My head and heart say we won't win it but even a top 3 finish is just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Leicester at home, newcastle at home, the own goal to United are all horrible regrets but unchangeable.

I think the goal would have come a lot sooner today had Alli started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Leicester at home, newcastle at home, the own goal to United are all horrible regrets but unchangeable.

I think the goal would have come a lot sooner today had Alli started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sorry lads but the results are the results for a reason. We've won plenty of points we probably shouldn't have aswell.

Over the course of a season it generally evens itself out in my opinion. No point looking back at 3 defeats and a rake of draws and saying what might have been. The first half of the season thus side was generally still adapting. Man United were lucky to play us in the opening game as back then they looked like boys on a football pitch.

That wasn't because we didn't sign a striker or any player in particular it was because Poch's coaching and mindset was still being bedded into the side. They are a very young team who have been developing as the season progressed. Dropping points is always going to happen.

If you haven't read Poch's interview the other day I suggest you do so. We are on the right track but there will always be wobblys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Just been rereading the first 4 game threads of this season. Christ we where awful. Truely awful.

But the core of the team is much the same. So props to Poch and the coaching staff.

We dumped some amount of deadwood since too. Ade, Paulinho, Stambolui, Capoue, Townsend, Kaboul, Fazio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    Sorry lads but the results are the results for a reason. We've won plenty of points we probably shouldn't have aswell.

Over the course of a season it generally evens itself out in my opinion. No point looking back at 3 defeats and a rake of draws and saying what might have been. The first half of the season thus side was generally still adapting. Man United were lucky to play us in the opening game as back then they looked like boys on a football pitch.

That wasn't because we didn't sign a striker or any player in particular it was because Poch's coaching and mindset was still being bedded into the side. They are a very young team who have been developing as the season progressed. Dropping points is always going to happen.

If you haven't read Poch's interview the other day I suggest you do so. We are on the right track but there will always be wobblys.

Totally agree. If people are gonna point to points we dropped they also have to look at games where we ground out a victory, such as away to Watford, or where we secured a draw when last season we might've rolled over. In the course of a season good and bad things will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I think every spurs fan is enjoying the season so far. But we should of signed another striker.

We should have had back up to rest Kane, in cup games an when we had a 2 goal r more lead. There were games when he looked fooked n we played him. Maybe we could have more points if we bought a striker.
    Playing Harry in far away games on Thursday n again Sunday because we didn't buy a striker shows lack of ambition. A few more million n we could have had Berahaino.

Just cos things are going well we shouldn't be blind. Spurs flogging Harry do death will (and already has imo) cost us points.

Maybe it will cost us a big prize?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I think every spurs fan is enjoying the season so far. But we should of signed another striker.

We should have had back up to rest Kane, in cup games an when we had a 2 goal r more lead. There were games when he looked fooked n we played him. Maybe we could have more points if we bought a striker.
    Playing Harry in far away games on Thursday n again Sunday because we didn't buy a striker shows lack of ambition. A few more million n we could have had Berahaino.

Just cos things are going well we shouldn't be blind. Spurs flogging Harry do death will (and already has imo) cost us points.

A few more million, he's not worth over 15m. Anyway I tend to believe this

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/spurs-get-saido-promise-with-eriksen-set-to-sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

A few more million, he's not worth over 15m. Anyway I tend to believe this

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/spurs-get-saido-promise-with-eriksen-set-to-sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

jobeenfitz wrote:

Don't think we're flogging him to death at all, he's 21 and has played less minutes then Toby and Hugo and only abit more then demebele and Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭celt262

I would be concerned it Tody were to injured the backup isn't exactly there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

some think you're not allowed to say that when the team is winning

be warned ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Another huge three points.

Regards the signings(or lack there of) we cant possibly be signing CBs on the off chance 2 more go down.......we cant offer the wages to good enough players who would be willing to sit on the bench like at chelsea or city.

Either way I dont care. I have complete, unwavering support for Poch. If he didnt want anyone then thats good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Another huge three points.

Regards the signings(or lack there of) we cant possibly be signing CBs on the off chance 2 more go down.......we cant offer the wages to good enough players who would be willing to sit on the bench like at chelsea or city.

Either way I dont care. I have complete, unwavering support for Poch. If he didnt want anyone then thats good enough for me

Advertisement