Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depop and Bloggers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

ally_pally wrote: »
    It's no huge surprise that she doesn't get it – hers is a confusion shared by a whole host of “online influencers” and celebrities alike. Disagree with what they do or how they do it – or, worse, express the fact that you think they're a bit tacky / clueless / ignorant – and the word “shaming” is quickly tacked on to whatever horse they can hitch their wagon to.

As humans, we are thoughtful, critical beings – and if you're making your living from appealing to the public, whether as a blogger or a reality TV star, you've got to expect your adoring public to speak up every now and again.

It doesn't mean we're trying to “shame” you; we're just not buying what you're selling. It's called customer feedback – and sometimes, it might be worth taking it on board.

Not my words, but your own, Rosemary, from today’s Independent. You'd do well to remember them.

How is what Rosemary said in the Independent related to someone selling something on depop?
    It's sad to see people just signing up to boards to take a pop at Rosemary.

The blogger most people are irked about put up something for sale on depop. She didn't disclose where the item was from or how much it originally cost and sold it for a profit. This is bad form IMO but nobody forced the buyer to buy the item.

If I buy something in Harvey Normans and then walk by Currys and see the same item for 20e less. Who's fault is that? Should Harvey Norman have told me that I could get it cheaper in Currys?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

It's no huge surprise that she doesn't get it – hers is a confusion shared by a whole host of “online influencers” and celebrities alike. Disagree with what they do or how they do it – or, worse, express the fact that you think they're a bit tacky / clueless / ignorant – and the word “shaming” is quickly tacked on to whatever horse they can hitch their wagon to.

As humans, we are thoughtful, critical beings – and if you're making your living from appealing to the public, whether as a blogger or a reality TV star, you've got to expect your adoring public to speak up every now and again.

It doesn't mean we're trying to “shame” you; we're just not buying what you're selling. It's called customer feedback – and sometimes, it might be worth taking it on board.

Not my words, but your own, Rosemary, from today’s Independent. You'd do well to remember them.

I don't get how this has anything at all to do with this particular conversation. I think that online influencers should learn to take criticism, yes, and stop accusing people of "hating" or "shaming".

I ALSO think that, if someone buys something for X amount and sells it for 2X amount online, well, that's life. I get the point that some people think it's "sneaky" to avoid questions asking where it's from but, y'know, sneakiness isn't a sin. It wouldn't make me particularly like the person in question, but it wouldn't send me immediately complaining to an online forum shouting, how VERY dare they and WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN.

Oh my God! Hilarious – I just realised you joined boards today, especially to quote my own article back at me, out of context, with a weird kind of warning at the end. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Avoiding questions from clearly devoted followers about where an item is from and selling it for two or three times the cost isn't illegal, but it is shady and my respect for anyone who would do that or who thinks it's ok would plummet. A mother with a probably young and impressionable daughter posted here expressing concern and your response was essentially "tough". You can dismiss it as hysterical "won't somebody think of the children", but I think her concerns are valid.

And as for quoting your own words back to you. Yes, they're out of context, but if you honestly don't see the irony in what you're saying, well... Well then I'm glad I made you laugh at least. ;)

I think her concerns are valid.

How, exactly? What do you – or the mother in question, for that matter – think will happen this child if he / she sees a blogger they follow profiting from selling something online?

And, oh, the irony defence: "If you don't see how that's ironic [wry smile], well, I'm glad I made you laugh."

I'd love you to explain how your interpretation of my piece has any bearing whatsoever on this current conversation but, y'know, no bother if you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Apparently because it's not a sin to be sneaky, then it's okay?

There's a term 'Business Ethics', I'm sure a few people here aren't very familiar with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Apparently because it's not a sin to be sneaky, then it's okay?

There's a term 'Business Ethics', I'm sure a few people here aren't very familiar with it.

Supermarkets are sneaky and do it all the time - look at all the special offers that are not really special offers.

groovyg wrote: »
    Supermarkets are sneaky and do it all the time - look at all the special offers that are not really special offers.

Who's trusts supermarkets? And consumer watch dogs are cracking down on supermarkets doing this.

It just seems like such an idiotic short sighted thing to do if your a blogger. Are they not aware how fragile their reputation is?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

onthemitch wrote: »
    How, exactly? What do you – or the mother in question, for that matter – think will happen this child if he / she sees a blogger they follow profiting from selling something online?

And, oh, the irony defence: "If you don't see how that's ironic [wry smile], well, I'm glad I made you laugh."

I'd love you to explain how your interpretation of my piece has any bearing whatsoever on this current conversation but, y'know, no bother if you can't.

I can see you did not read my posts about my daughter. I simply wanted the name of the blogger as I do not read blogs and wanted to familiarise myself with them and then make up my own mind with an informed decision. As a mother with a pre teen daughter i am understandably wary of this blogging phenomenon and want to get as much info as I can.

Bloggers need to realise THEY are putting THEMSELVES in the public eye and their target market is teenagers /young adults and that does get younger as my daughter has friends with older sisters who follow these bloggers religiously on snapchat and instagram and that does influence my daughters friends and then my daughter even if they are younger than the market the blogger thinks they are reaching

Shadylou wrote: »
    I can see you did not read my posts about my daughter. I simply wanted the name of the blogger as I do not read blogs and wanted to familiarise myself with them and then make up my own mind with an informed decision. As a mother with a pre teen daughter i am understandably wary of this blogging phenomenon and want to get as much info as I can.

Bloggers need to realise THEY are putting THEMSELVES in the public eye and their target market is teenagers /young adults and that does get younger as my daughter has friends with older sisters who follow these bloggers religiously on snapchat and instagram and that does influence my daughters friends and then my daughter even if they are younger than the market the blogger thinks they are reaching

You are not allowed to name bloggers on Boards see this post in another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99063993&postcount=181
    There have been lots of threads on Boards about bloggers, locked because people have been naming and criticising bloggers.

You are not allowed to name bloggers on Boards see this post in another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99063993&postcount=181
    There have been lots of threads on Boards about bloggers, locked because people have been naming and criticising bloggers.

Which was why I asked for it to be sent via pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Is she selling PR samples?

No I don't think so, but possibly some of the stuff is!

Who's trusts supermarkets? And consumer watch dogs are cracking down on supermarkets doing this.

It just seems like such an idiotic short sighted thing to do if your a blogger. Are they not aware how fragile their reputation is?

I was merely using supermarkets as an example that they are sly and sneaky in their marketing practices. It's not just supermarkets it's across all areas where the sole practice is to make money. I saw thread recently about an event run under the name of "charity" but none of the money was going towards charity only making money for the organisers.
    If somebody wants to make money I don't think ethics features high on their radar. Look at Denis o Brien one of Ireland's richest men, hardly an example of somebody who built his empire on good business ethics :pac:

Ireland is a small country I can't see how many bloggers here can make a living from it. It already feels saturated with beauty/fashion bloggers, same names plugging the same thing and doing similar style fashion events. Even with some of the food bloggers they are all doing similar stuff, pics and recipes all following the gluten free, lactose free, sugar free lifestyle which I notice some of well known chefs have caught on to as well:rolleyes:

I was merely using supermarkets as an example that they are sly and sneaky in their marketing practices. It's not just supermarkets it's across all areas where the sole practice is to make money. I saw thread recently about an event run under the name of "charity" but none of the money was going towards charity only making money for the organisers.
    If somebody wants to make money I don't think ethics features high on their radar. Look at Denis o Brien one of Ireland's richest men, hardly an example of somebody who built his empire on good business ethics :pac:

Ireland is a small country I can't see how many bloggers here can make a living from it. It already feels saturated with beauty/fashion bloggers, same names plugging the same thing and doing similar style fashion events. Even with some of the food bloggers they are all doing similar stuff, pics and recipes all following the gluten free, lactose free, sugar free lifestyle which I notice some of well known chefs have caught on to as well:rolleyes:

There have been countless threads in boards criticising Dennis O'Briens business ethics and the possible illegality of some of the business transactions, so it kind of proves my point.

The blogging industry in Ireland should have much higher regulations IMO, because evidently there are a few who are taking the p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

It's not that I think her child will suffer from seeing this happen, but if I had a teenage daughter who looked up to and idolised a blogger then I'd be very worried that she could be the one buying it and be ripped off - buying a cheap dress for three times its price from someone she idolises.

Nope, can't be bothered. I'm not the only one to see the parallels between your article and your defence of bloggers and some of their shady practices as it's popped up in other threads. If you can't already see how your arguments in the Independent are applicable to this discussion, then no amount of explaining by me will make you. Maybe it's one rule when it's Kim Kardashian being criticised and another rule when it's your friends.

Nope, can't be bothered. I'm not the only one to see the parallels between your article and your defence of bloggers and some of their shady practices as it's popped up in other threads. If you can't already see how your arguments in the Independent are applicable to this discussion, then no amount of explaining by me will make you. Maybe it's one rule when it's Kim Kardashian being criticised and another rule when it's your friends.

Let me break this down for you.

In the Independent.ie piece, I didn't defend bloggers: I said they need to cop on and stop opting for the "shaming!" defence when a reader questions their practices. I stated that criticism of bloggers is perfectly valid, and doesn't equate to shaming or hate – it's customer feedback, and they should pay attention to it.

In this current thread, I have, at no point, defended any particular bloggers – merely saying that making a profit from selling cheap tat online at a higher price is not a sin. It's a d*ck move, but the bigger eejits are the ones buying said cheap tat.

As for friends? Laughable. The blogger under discussion in this thread has blocked me, for some perceived slight, as have most others whose names pop up on boards. On a personal level, my closest friend who also happens to be a blogger writes fluffandfripperies.com – the rest of them are mostly acquaintances.

But y'know, do carry on claiming that I'm defending my mates from mean forum posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not that I think her child will suffer from seeing this happen, but if I had a teenage daughter who looked up to and idolised a blogger then I'd be very worried that she could be the one buying it and be ripped off - buying a cheap dress for three times its price from someone she idolises.

I agree that this is a valid concern for parents, but as parents you have to trust that your children have learned the lessons you have taught them. Plus, we all have to make our own mistakes in order to learn from them. Parents' protectiveness should only extend so far, otherwise it becomes too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

dudara wrote: »
    I agree that this is a valid concern for parents, but as parents you have to trust that your children have learned the lessons you have taught them. Plus, we all have to make our own mistakes in order to learn from them. Parents' protectiveness should only extend so far, otherwise it becomes too much.

I agree. I don't get all of the "but think about the poor vulnerable young people" posts. Everyone makes dumb purchases when you're a teenager at some point. Then you learn from your mistakes. If they're old enough to use the internet, they're old enough to have some common sense in making purchases, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes. That would be actually a cheap price to pay to learn not to buy from someone just because you idolize them.

Anyway from posts here I think it was a going out dress and I suspect the purchaser was old enough to know better.

Speaking as parent I would be a bit more concerned if my kids were following too many lifestyle bloggers because a lot of it is completely vapid content. How much would they spend on bad make up or clothes is the least of my worries. They will blow their money anyway.

dudara wrote: »

I agree to some extent but you are over simplifying things. Parents have to educate themselves so that they can pass on those lessons to their children. It's okay saying you have to let them go and learn from their mistakes but you need to have the knowledge on how to put right those mistakes.
    Anyways that is more of an issue for the parenting forum......all I wanted was for someone to pm me the name of this blogger so I could see if my daughter looks at her blog :(:(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The same blogger is at it again. Sold an outfit that comes to €35 in New Look for €45. Never mentioned where the outfit was from despite being asked. Taking advantage of fans and followers again, making a profit from the naivety of those who support your career disgusts me. I don't know how people still blindly follow this blogger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The same blogger is at it again. Sold an outfit that comes to 35 in New Look for 45. Never mentioned where the outfit was from despite being asked. Taking advantage of fans and followers again, making a profit from the naivety of those who support your career disgusts me. I don't know how people still blindly follow this blogger.

Any chance of a PM of who this is, I follow a lot of bloggers and i've heard this about whoever this blogger is twice now, I'm surprised it is someone that I don't know/follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

The same blogger is at it again. Sold an outfit that comes to €35 in New Look for €45. Never mentioned where the outfit was from despite being asked. Taking advantage of fans and followers again, making a profit from the naivety of those who support your career disgusts me. I don't know how people still blindly follow this blogger.

I don't understand why anyone would publicly rip someone off for the sake of a tenner? Surely her brand is worth more than that? Terrible business women IMO, very shortsighted

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I saw this on depop too. Totally unprofessional and embarrassing to try fleece people out of an extra tenner for worn clothes. Doesn't matter if they've been worn for an hour or a day, they are used.

I saw a few people had commented on this on it...did she respond to them or just delete?

So done with this one.

She didn't respond and I just went for a look there and she has also deleted the post. Obviously she is reading this thread as nothing else has been deleted.

Just wanted to make clear as well that I don't follow this blogger at all, I'm no 'hater', but someone I follow liked her item which made it come up on my newsfeed so I clicked on the item thinking it'd be something I'd wear myself before realising it was her and seeing the price and comments. I didn't purposely seek out her profile to pick it apart.

Cringing for her, she is meant to be a top class high earning business women and she's fleecing her fans for the sake of a tenner. Mortifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

She didn't respond and I just went for a look there and she has also deleted the post. Obviously she is reading this thread as nothing else has been deleted.

Just wanted to make clear as well that I don't follow this blogger at all, I'm no 'hater', but someone I follow liked her item which made it come up on my newsfeed so I clicked on the item thinking it'd be something I'd wear myself before realising it was her and seeing the price and comments. I didn't purposely seek out her profile to pick it apart.

Cringing for her, she is meant to be a top class high earning business women and she's fleecing her fans for the sake of a tenner. Mortifying.

Who is this Blogger?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Can anyone PM me the name of this blogger? I'm very curious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

PLL wrote: »
    Any chance of a PM of who this is, I follow a lot of bloggers and i've heard this about whoever this blogger is twice now, I'm surprised it is someone that I don't know/follow.
    linpoo wrote: »
    Who is this Blogger?
    Can anyone PM me the name of this blogger? I'm very curious now.

Instead of all the "can someone PM me the bloggers name?" requests, any chance posters could just PM the poster (in this case WhiteRoses) yourself ?
    The constant requests that clog up these threads are a pain to read. >_<

Pm's sent to those who asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Just wondered if this thread is still in use. I notice a well known blogger selling items on depop today that were gifted to her from a company. On each post she has given original price, although they were free to her. Is this ethical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Just wondered if this thread is still in use. I notice a well known blogger selling items on depop today that were gifted to her from a company. On each post she has given original price, although they were free to her. Is this ethical?
    No!

Advertisement