Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depop and Bloggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    I don't really see the issue. People put up their items for a certain price. Nobody has to buy them. I use a lot of clothes apps and if I think something is too expensive, I don't buy it. Do people really need to have their hands held to this extent?

Have to say I 100% agree. If I buy a €5 top in Penneys and said top sells out, and someone wants to give me €20 for it on an app like depop, isn't that just how capitalism works? Supply and demand. There's nothing 'shady' or 'unethical' about buying something for x and selling it for 3x, or else, like, the world wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

onthemitch wrote: »
    Have to say I 100% agree. If I buy a €5 top in Penneys and said top sells out, and someone wants to give me €20 for it on an app like depop, isn't that just how capitalism works? Supply and demand. There's nothing 'shady' or 'unethical' about buying something for x and selling it for 3x, or else, like, the world wouldn't work.

There is when you won't tell the buyer where the top was purchased or state what it was originally purchased for.
    For the record, the dress was still available online for €14 when it was sold for €45.
    If there's total transparency then it's upto to consumer whether they want to pay that kind of money of that specific item or not.
    But it absolutely is shady as hell when the seller won't tell you where it was purchased (despite being asked) and doesn't disclose the original price.
    I think the people who don't agree with this (myself included) aren't happy about the lack of disclosure. If she had told people where it was from and how much it was, I would have just thought to myself 'that buyer is an idiot for paying that price' and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If your customer base is impressionable and broke teenagers then yes it is shady. You have a moral responsibility Rosemary whether you like to admit it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I remember last summer there was big thing with bloggers being sent designer sunglasses. A certain big blogger (now living in USA) posted a pic of her amazing sunglasses and how much she loved them blah blah.. then she sold them (for a tidy sum) on depop. She deleted the sale and pic a few weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ailish92

Can someone please pm me the name of this blogger ? I can take a guess but just want to be sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Can someone pm me the name please? Have a makeup mad daughter who's just started looking at all these blogs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not clog up this thread with requests for the name of the blogger.

dudara

Shadylou wrote: »
    Can someone pm me the name please? Have a makeup mad daughter who's just started looking at all these blogs

Serious question: what were you planning on doing? Telling her that there are people in the world who sell things – gasp – at a profit?! I'm so confused by everyone's ire about this.

anna080 wrote: »
    If your customer base is impressionable and broke teenagers then yes it is shady. You have a moral responsibility Rosemary whether you like to admit it or not.

A moral responsibility... to what? NOT make profits? I'm sorry, but you actually have no responsibility whatsoever to disclose where you bought something that you're selling secondhand on a shopping app. People have a CHOICE – not to buy those things if they don't know their provenance. I would say, in fact, that you have a responsibility to know what you're buying, and where it comes from, more than the seller does to disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think she did her a favour, that money would be probably spent on drugs and alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Serious question: what were you planning on doing? Telling her that there are people in the world who sell things – gasp – at a profit?! I'm so confused by everyone's ire about this.

As a parent, it is my responsibility to keep an eye on what she does. I don't know much about this so would like to be aware of what's going on. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to these type of things, no need for the sarcasm

A moral responsibility... to what? NOT make profits? I'm sorry, but you actually have no responsibility whatsoever to disclose where you bought something that you're selling secondhand on a shopping app. People have a CHOICE – not to buy those things if they don't know their provenance. I would say, in fact, that you have a responsibility to know what you're buying, and where it comes from, more than the seller does to disclose.

Would you not feel shafted if someone you looked up to as an honest blogger and digital influencer willingly sold you something for double the sale price knowing full well they were exploiting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I don't understand the outrage about bloggers selling stuff on depop. What's wrong with people selling off there wares and making some money. Look at what happened when designers like Balmain/ Stella McCarthy designed for H&M people bought the clothes and sold them from higher prices on eBay.
    Remember when Victoria beckham donated a load of her clothes to a charity shop ? Sold out within in minutes only for them to go up on eBay later that day for triple the price. How are they different from bloggers who want to make some money? Look at touters who mark up the price for sold out concerts and matches. Objective is make money. It's supply and demand and it's up to the person to decide if they want to buy it or not.
    Look at gumtree, done deal, eBay after Christmas and you see loads of unwanted gifts that people got for free but want to sell on. It seems people are just venting about bloggers for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

groovyg wrote: »
    I don't understand the outrage about bloggers selling stuff on depop. What's wrong with people selling off there wares and making some money. Look at what happened when designers like Balmain/ Stella McCarthy designed for H&M people bought the clothes and sold them from higher prices on eBay.
    Remember when Victoria beckham donated a load of her clothes to a charity shop ? Sold out within in minutes only for them to go up on eBay later that day for triple the price. How are they different from bloggers who want to make some money? Look at touters who mark up the price for sold out concerts and matches. Objective is make money. It's supply and demand and it's up to the person to decide if they want to buy it or not.
    Look at gumtree, done deal, eBay after Christmas and you see loads of unwanted gifts that people got for free but want to sell on. It seems people are just venting about bloggers for the sake of it.

I don't think that people have a problem with selling on Depop in general, at least that's not how I read it, it's the hiding of the source of the item so nobody could research the item and try buy off the original site or compare prices and then selling for a huge profit. All of your examples allow the buyer to already know how much the original item was and where it came from. It's subtle and unnecessary deception. I'd have no problem if the blogger had said this dress is from Misguided and is €15 on there but I'm selling it for €50 on Depop. She obviously would find it harder to get a buyer but could still do if the dress had sold out on the website. Honesty isn't that difficult of a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I know a beauty blogger who donates all her earnings from Depop to charity (allegedly but it isn't widely stated) so I wouldn't be too quick to judge everyone on Depop.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

I don't think that people have a problem with selling on Depop in general, at least that's not how I read it, it's the hiding of the source of the item so nobody could research the item and try buy off the original site or compare prices and then selling for a huge profit. All of your examples allow the buyer to already know how much the original item was and where it came from. It's subtle and unnecessary deception. I'd have no problem if the blogger had said this dress is from Misguided and is €15 on there but I'm selling it for €50 on Depop. She obviously would find it harder to get a buyer but could still do if the dress had sold out on the website. Honesty isn't that difficult of a concept.

100% agree. That's exactly what it's about. Ignoring people when they're asking where she purchased the item on her social media (this is from a blogger who apparently prides herself on replying to her followers..) but then has no problem replying to someone who wants to actually purchase it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Luno wrote: »
    I know a beauty blogger who donates all her earnings from Depop to charity (allegedly but it isn't widely stated) so I wouldn't be too quick to judge everyone on Depop.

Is she selling PR samples?

And then you don't buy the bloody dress. Is this so hard to gasp. You can't blame someone who is selling stuff for the stupidity of the purchaser. There is duplicitous behavior, this wasn't, it was just lack of information. She didn't lie how much she paid for a dress or where she got it. She probably didn't do herself any favors because now people will think twice before they buy something from her. As they should when buying anything.

Your purposely avoiding addressing the specific example given of a blogger advertising a dress, refusing to disclose where the dress was from, and then selling it on for a sizable profit even though it is still available to buy new.

Anyone who thinks that's okay is pretty deceitful in my opinion.

Surely the onus is on the purchaser to do some research and ask where the dress is from, brand etc instead of just buying it straight away.

• Advertisement

Surely the onus is on the purchaser to do some research and ask where the dress is from, brand etc instead of just buying it straight away.

But they did ask, the blogger didn't respond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I think the issue people have though is that the people were asking and weren't getting replies. It came across as the blogger being devious.

anna080 wrote: »
    But they did ask, the blogger didn't respond

And then you don't buy. What is so hard to comprehend here.

meeeeh wrote: »

Still doesn't erase the issue that the blogger is being deceptive.

No she was not. Someone decided to buy a dress without having any proper information. As far as I know no false information was provided.

There is a point when people do have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Why can't you comprehend that most people would consider that a sh*tty thing to do? -especially when a lot of their followers are young and impressionable

Why can't you comprehend that most people would consider that a sh*tty thing to do? -especially when a lot of their followers are young and impressionable

Oh give me a break with young and impressionable. If they can handle their own money, if they are old enough to use sites like that then they are responsible for their own spending.

Oh give me a break with young and impressionable. If they can handle their own money, if they are old enough to use sites like that then they are responsible for their own spending.

A fool and his money is easily parted hey? What a charming attitude

Why does it matter how people spend their money? Seriously its personal responsibility. Look at all the designer handbags up for sale on websites - its up to the purchaser to decide if its real or a fake and if they are willing to pay the price for the goods. Go around Henry street at Christmas and see the fools and their money buying fake designer make up and perfume I would consider them far more dodge / deceptive than some blogger who marks up the price of a dress on depop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

It's no huge surprise that she doesn't get it – hers is a confusion shared by a whole host of “online influencers” and celebrities alike. Disagree with what they do or how they do it – or, worse, express the fact that you think they're a bit tacky / clueless / ignorant – and the word “shaming” is quickly tacked on to whatever horse they can hitch their wagon to.

As humans, we are thoughtful, critical beings – and if you're making your living from appealing to the public, whether as a blogger or a reality TV star, you've got to expect your adoring public to speak up every now and again.

It doesn't mean we're trying to “shame” you; we're just not buying what you're selling. It's called customer feedback – and sometimes, it might be worth taking it on board.

Not my words, but your own, Rosemary, from today’s Independent. You'd do well to remember them.

Advertisement