Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Deal of the Day - Crucial 240gb SSD £40

Options

Comments

I was in the market for one for a while and at this price I'll grab that. It's not the old version either its the new one. According to sources online its 10% slower than the evo but the price gap makes it more appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

I was in the market for one for a while and at this price I'll grab that. It's not the old version either its the new one. According to sources online its 10% slower than the evo but the price gap makes it more appealing.

I have an older model of this and the performance gained against a regular hard drive is great.

I've never had another ssd so can't compare it but at this price it's a good option

lulzordan wrote: »
    I have an older model of this and the performance gained against a regular hard drive is great.

I've never had another ssd so can't compare it but at this price it's a good option

I had a Samsung Evo about two years ago now but it was just a 120gb ssd and I was running out of room so had to move back to a hdd. I use a lot of cloud storage now, so the 240gb should do me fine. I am using a 5400 rpm hdd at the moment and I am getting sick of the slowness :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

amazing deal, went for it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Damn... I've been waiting for one of these to come down in price for a long while now. So long that I had decided to wait for a 500GB drive. Hmmm, decisions decisions....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Read the reviews and wait a little longer.

Reviews? Has mostly good reviews. There is some saying it isnt good for large file transfers, but if what you want it for is quick boot time and opening programs quick this is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Yeah, why would you store large files in the 1st place. My SSD just has Windows, other programs I need and a couple of games installed. All my bluray movies, TV shows, etc. are on the other 2 HDD's on my PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Slower than bx100 yes but still way faster and more reliable than hdd it only takes a tiny amount of hdd fragmentation to slow windows to a crawl. Theres no way 90% of my family, friends and clients would notice the difference in real world usage.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Crucial-BX200-240GB-vs-Crucial-BX100-250GB/m40435vs3145

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Slower than bx100 yes but still way faster and more reliable than hdd it only takes a tiny amount of hdd fragmentation to slow windows to a crawl. Theres no way 90% of my family, friends and clients would notice the difference in real world usage.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Crucial-BX200-240GB-vs-Crucial-BX100-250GB/m40435vs3145

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jamescd wrote: »
    Yeah, why would you store large files in the 1st place. My SSD just has Windows, other programs I need and a couple of games installed. All my bluray movies, TV shows, etc. are on the other 2 HDD's on my PC.

Laptop users who don't want to have to rely on external disks... I'm running a 500gb hybrid at the moment. And its got around 120gb free, so I reckon this drive would leave me a long way short even if I was to cut a lot of my files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Laptop users who don't want to have to rely on external disks... I'm running a 500gb hybrid at the moment. And its got around 120gb free, so I reckon this drive would leave me a long way short even if I was to cut a lot of my files.

Yeah but you'd need one of the bigger SSD's anyway if you want to use it for storage as well. As you said, 240GB SSD for both windows + programs and file storage just ain't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭dodzy

Read the reviews and wait a little longer.
    Who'd ever have though that we would be actually be debating a well reviewed 240GB SSD at just over €50. What a time to be alive ! I swapped out the 5400 2.5" in a recently purchased lenovo i3 (Sandisk Ultra II picked up in PC world before Christmas) and its bleedin' rapa :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good deal. The Samsung EVO250 (also 240GB) is currently £59.99 incl shipping which is pretty good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I got one.

Great price.

Crucial are well known to understate their true speeds.

I'll grab an M.2 gen 3 when they become more reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

If you've a standard DVD drive, consider a hard drive caddy tray to give you that 500GB hybrid for onboard storage, or a cheap 2.5" USB 2/3 enclosure (though it violates non-reliance on an external disk) allows you utilise it, with the 240GB SSD for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Anyone know if this would be any good for a ps4?

Would love something to speed Fallout up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Anyone know if this would be any good for a ps4?

Would love something to speed Fallout up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I had a Samsung Evo about two years ago now but it was just a 120gb ssd and I was running out of room so had to move back to a hdd. I use a lot of cloud storage now, so the 240gb should do me fine. I am using a 5400 rpm hdd at the moment and I am getting sick of the slowness

How did you go back to a normal hdd? Surely an external drive would have given you the storage you needed?

simdan wrote: »
    How did you go back to a normal hdd? Surely an external drive would have given you the storage you needed?

Was laziness on my part, I have been looking out for a good deal for the last few months and I pounced on this offer when I saw it. I was abroad for last few months and I am now in my last semester of college, so I am at my laptop 8 hours a day and a bit of more speed in my laptop would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭shovel

can I ask would this be a good upgrade for a cheap slow laptop, that is used for browsing only.?
    it has 4 gigs of ram already.
    is it hard to transfer the os?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Yes I'm using an ssd in a n2830 laptop and the difference is obvious. It doesn't matter how weak your pc, you will benefit to some extent.

Moving windows isn't easy in my experience. I've always just reinstalled to save hassle. I'm sure someone here can link to a simplified guide to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

shovel wrote: »
    can I ask would this be a good upgrade for a cheap slow laptop, that is used for browsing only.?

No, but you will need an external HDD caddy or a desktop PC with available SATA slots.
    Simi wrote: »

Moving windows isn't easy in my experience. I've always just reinstalled to save hassle. I'm sure someone here can link to a simplified guide to help you.

Every SSD I've got has come with eithebundled software or a link to a compatible program.

to quote the description in the amazon link "Includes an activation key for Acronis True Image HD software for easy data migration"

Which is what I used with a previous Crucial SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Bought 2, its the biggest upgrade that 2 old laptops will get, cheers op!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

shovel wrote: »

Yes it will transform the laptop, see this thread for everything you need to know. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057543426

Poster was about to change laptop but now has kept it just after changing to an SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes it will transform the laptop, see this thread for everything you need to know. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057543426

Poster was about to change laptop but now has kept it just after changing to an SSD
    The thought of doing this and seeing it written down is far more daunting than actually doing it so I'd definitely recommend it. I had nothing to lose as if I wasn't happy with the performance I could still put the SSD I bought into a new computer.

The fan on my laptop is contantly on, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, if I swap out the HD for this SSD can I disconnect the fan? Its running an i7 , but I assume the heat from this is taken care of by the sink.

The fan on my laptop is contantly on, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, if I swap out the HD for this SSD can I disconnect the fan? Its running an i7 , but I assume the heat from this is taken care of by the sink.

No you cannot. You're laptop probably has other issues, poor cooling design, poor firmware causing the erratic fan. But id wager the heat generated by your hdd is only has a small part to play.

The SSD will speed up your machine more so than any other upgrade, so at this price its worth it. It just will not solve your fan issue.

Cheers Al, I think it might be running an i7 in an ultra thin notebook might be the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Is it a HP?

Advertisement