Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on FOX - Rumble Vs Bader

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nice to get to see the main event and still get to bed early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

shows hes not able to get it done at the top of the division
    welcome to being a gate keeper ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So happy Rothwell won.

He was on the bad end of a few matchmaking decisions from the UFC in recent times. Not only that, but after the Miocic fight was cancelled he still flew over to Dublin and quite literally gave hours of his time to chat, take pictures and sign stuff with fans, all this while Arlovski had also been flown over by the UFC and was penned in to fight Miocic a few months later.

I've met quite a few sportspeople from many different sports over the years, but Rothwell was probably the nicest I've met overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Last nights card Litrally put to be sleep which was weird, but it could have had something to do with me being hungover haha just finished the main card, Sage bottled it, he could have got out of that alot easier that tapping. Really needs to improve his ground game.

Really how Rothwell wins the belt, had him to win by sub on the ufc pick em thing but never out on any bets last night, 3 subs in his last 4 and he's such a nice guy. Hopefully he goes all the way, Im in agreement with exactly what pauly said above.

Rumble is well and truly a scary guy, and he's almost there. There was no way Bader was going to blanket him in this fight, there was only two outcomes. Either he was getting sparked by rumble or he would have got out pointed like Davis. Really not interested in seeing him v DC again but would love to see him fight Jones.

Card was decent but have lots of poor patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,692 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm a fan of Bader when he's not using grindy wrestling but i love when a wrestler gets stuffed and either ko'd or subbed. Beaming for Rumble. Stupid for Ryan to shoot like that so early.

Beaming for Ben as well. Go get that belt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Dana White just announced that Sage is grounded indefinitely and will be made to sit on the naughty step at tri star for the next month watching submission escapes

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Just watched the main card.

Thought Sage could have done more to get out of that. Just looked like he panicked. Still young though, the lose will probably serve him well.

Rothwell is probably the weirdest UFC fighter there is, but I like him.

Rumble is a scary dude. Felt kind of sorry for Bader, even though it went how I had hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I haven't read the thread yet. My thoughts on todays card.

Barberena v Northcutt:
    Hype train derailed. About time too. I've nothing against Sage at all, but he was way overhyped. Athleticism plus karate got him far but he needs more than hands down kyokushin to go top 10. Ditto for his grappling. The choke itself didn't look tight at all to me. Looked like tapped to the shoulder pressure.
    Barberena a gets his name out there. Good for him.

Rivera v Yuri
    Not a whole lot of engaging in the feet. Rivera's TD won it, even if he didn't do much with them.

Rothwell v Barnett
    This was a huge upset for me. Not so much that Rothwell won, he was always capable, more so that he subbed Barnett. Pretty much the first time Barnett has been submitted (via grappling) in a 40+ fight career.

Bader v Rumble
    Wha'chu expect, Rumble gonna Rumble.

Mellor wrote: »

Barberena v Northcutt:
    Hype train derailed. About time too. I've nothing against Sage at all, but he was way overhyped. Athleticism plus karate got him far but he needs more than hands down kyokushin to go top 10. Ditto for his grappling. The choke itself didn't look tight at all to me. Looked like tapped to the shoulder pressure.
    Barberena a gets his name out there. Good for him.

100% agree with all of this.

What really bugs me though is the amount of UFC fighters on twitter absolutely destroying him afterwards. Never seen such a response to someone losing. Way to kick a man when he's down, stay classy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

100% agree with all of this.

What really bugs me though is the amount of UFC fighters on twitter absolutely destroying him afterwards. Never seen such a response to someone losing. Way to kick a man when he's down, stay classy lads.

I understand where most of it is coming from, he came in and is getting paid more than 80% of the roster, along with getting a massive push because of his looks rather than his ability in the cage. It's simple really, If somebody started in your job tomorrow on twice your wages and was getting promoted by the boss you'd be pissed off also. They are lashing him out of it though and I know it's not his fault the ufc pay him that much but there was always going to be resentment there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Card put me to sleep too which is rare,

Just watched the 3 main fights without spoilers thank god,On the Sage fight he reminded me of vitor with the frenzy attacks,but all that muscle its lactic acid build up you gotta be worried about,theres a reason why nobody in the ufc looks like him,his wrestling seems ok,his bjj is bluebelt level at best he offers nothing off his back clinging on for dear life afraid of getting pounded on,the sub was a combination of panic,wanting out and not having the knowledge to perform an escape,loss will do him well because the eventual fall and loss against proper opposition would've been scary for his health,

Agree with the above on Ben Rothwell couldnt meet a nicer person with time for the fans,to choke out Barnatt is incredible the guy is a wizard on the ground and he done that to him its a dangerous game trying to take Rothwell down,

Rumble done what I expected him to do and take Baders head off nobody hits harder p4p can only imagine being mounted by him,Bader shooting that early without even having the confidence in his stand up to throw a jab or 2 was indicitive of the term panic wrestler,shooting from that far out so early just screams desperation.

ASOT wrote: »
    I understand where most of it is coming from, he came in and is getting paid more than 80% of the roster, along with getting a massive push because of his looks rather than his ability in the cage. It's simple really, If somebody started in your job tomorrow on twice your wages and was getting promoted by the boss you'd be pissed off also. They are lashing him out of it though and I know it's not his fault the ufc pay him that much but there was always going to be resentment there.

Yeah I agree to a certain extent, and can certainly understand why some of them would be annoyed at the whole situation. But to publicly throw digs at a fighter after a loss is low if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just watched the whole event from last night. Pretty boring card over all in my opinion, Sage tapping to shoulder pressure with plenty of neck room was weird, half guard, wrong side, no airflow obstruction and no carotid obstruction.

It was just the set up to get out of halfguard and into a position to finish and he taps because he panicked and couldn't figure out how to get out.

I'd say Zahabi will have him in that position for the next year making sure he never does that again.

Total idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not going to argue it as I dont really believe it, all I know is everytime I see an arm triangle from the top I hear Bas Ruten screaming 'answer the telephone' in my head :D

Looks like he tapped to shoulder pressure, not the arm triangle. Answering the phone wouldn't have helped. Very strange to see a tap like that at that level. He's supposed to have a few stripes on his purple belt, but his coach as been oaccused of being a bit of a fraud, so who knows.
    Kirby wrote: »
    That's the first ever time hes tapped to a choke. Bizarre fight.
    First time he's been submitted ever.
    Gamebred wrote: »
    his bjj is bluebelt level at best
    I'd have said the same. Look bad off his back verses pfister too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Delighted Big Ben got the W.

Him vs Miocic for a title shot presuming they re arrange Werdum vs Cain?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

What about Overeem? I think he should be in that title picture. They should withhold any title shot from Cain. He's way too brittle and unreliable. They should have Stipe vs Werdum and Cain vs Reem/Big Ben as a No.1 contender shot next. Cain needs to prove he can show up first, the man has single handily stalled the HW division over the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What about Overeem? I think he should be in that title picture. They should withhold any title shot from Cain. He's way too brittle and unreliable. They should have Stipe vs Werdum and Cain vs Reem/Big Ben as a No.1 contender shot next. Cain needs to prove he can show up first, the man has single handily stalled the HW division over the last 3 years.

Nah from me on Rothwell/Reem that fight was just over a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

http://mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/ufc-on-fox-johnson-vs-bader-fighter-salaries-reebok-attendance-gate.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ufc-on-fox-johnson-vs-bader-fighter-salaries-reebok-attendance-gate Barnett made more than ROthwell even though Rothwell got a win & performance of the night bonus! Didn't Rothwell kinda of call out Overeem in his interview? I thought I heard him say "Overeem or whoever". I presume the UFC are looking to match Overeem up with someone to headline the UFC Holland card in May. Debut in the country & he's the biggest name they've got. I hope its him anyway as I'm planning on going to it

Gamebred wrote: »
    Card put me to sleep too which is rare,

Just watched the 3 main fights without spoilers thank god,On the Sage fight he reminded me of vitor with the frenzy attacks,but all that muscle its lactic acid build up you gotta be worried about,theres a reason why nobody in the ufc looks like him,his wrestling seems ok,his bjj is bluebelt level at best he offers nothing off his back clinging on for dear life afraid of getting pounded on,the sub was a combination of panic,wanting out and not having the knowledge to perform an escape,loss will do him well because the eventual fall and loss against proper opposition would've been scary for his health,

Agree with the above on Ben Rothwell couldnt meet a nicer person with time for the fans,to choke out Barnatt is incredible the guy is a wizard on the ground and he done that to him its a dangerous game trying to take Rothwell down,

Rumble done what I expected him to do and take Baders head off nobody hits harder p4p can only imagine being mounted by him,Bader shooting that early without even having the confidence in his stand up to throw a jab or 2 was indicitive of the term panic wrestler,shooting from that far out so early just screams desperation.

RE : Your VITOR remark! Bingo!!! that's who he reminds me of too. that cross followed by square shouldered frenzied 1/2 attack, while running forward almost. Weird but I said he'd be caught out soon enough. he's young though and has loadsa time to improve.

Advertisement