Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you wnt from your clubs website

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I appreciate that this might be a case of careful what you ask for but would anyone like to give their opinions of our website. I'd appreciate the good and the bad points - constructive criticism rather than silly comments.

http://www.moategolfclub.ie/

In reference to the OP's question, I want results posted quickly and kept up to date, club information for both members and visitors, photos, news and the odd novelty item.

Definitely a cluttered feeling at the top and then a huge page with some bits on the edge.

I would,

Put the news ( bits on the left edge) behind a link to another separate page only, don't leave them on the main page.Same goes for other links. You have two links to the same things on one page.

Update the UI. As above, very 90's / cheap looking by todays standards. I hope that isn't too harsh sounding.The biggest bold writing is the club news which draws your eye, I'd rather have the links doing that or the background being a nice photo of the course

Make a mobile version thats much more simple and easy to use.

Make the pictures of the course more prominent

Keep the contact and location details behind another link or at the bottom of the (shortened) page. Again , numbers in numerous places on the same page.

Pictures of the course. Host the fly over on the website itself.

When I'm looking at a website I usually want to
    • Book a tee time/ check prices
    • Look at pictures of the course
    • Check sub prices
    • Check facilities
    • Look at course card
    You have some of the above but it would be nice to have an easier to use page.

Headforts I think is done well although I think some things could be done better

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I appreciate that this might be a case of careful what you ask for but would anyone like to give their opinions of our website. I'd appreciate the good and the bad points - constructive criticism rather than silly comments.

In reference to the OP's question, I want results posted quickly and kept up to date, club information for both members and visitors, photos, news and the odd novelty item.

As others have said this is pretty awful.

- Visually it's difficult to read and does not seem to have a consistent structure or grid.
    - It's not responsive (mobile friendly).
    - The inclusion of Google ads does not help matters and makes it look cheap.
    - The code is bloated and has lots of Microsoft Word cruft in it. And tables are used which is a big no-no for modern websites.
    - There are no meta tags at all to help search engines find the site.
    - There are blank pages and bad links throughout.

I'm struggling to find any good points - well at least there are some recent news entries so that's a plus.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

My club recently updated the website and have to say I like it.

http://www.seapointgolflinks.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

My advice is listen to none of that.

Get someone to do the Information architecture right and you'll find none of the guff is required on the top or first level pages. Once you figure out what content is needed then get someone to design it properly.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    My club recently updated the website and have to say I like it.

http://www.seapointgolflinks.com/

Those quick menu links which a mega menu combo is terrible on it. Don't think it improves on the previous site at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Those quick menu links which a mega menu combo is terrible on it. Don't think it improves on the previous site at all.

A lot easier to use on both mobile and laptop though I think

Also visually looks better than previous imo

redzerdrog wrote: »
    A lot easier to use on both mobile and laptop though I think

Also visually looks better than previous imo

Bit better on the phone but still don't get the need for 2 menus. Also the contrast ratio is wrong on the menus on mobile.

I particularly hate the word home on the front page. If you need a visual cue for that, then I'd argue the designs is flawed.

It's not terrible but I just don't think it offers anything over the previous site bar the responsiveness is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

That's interesting. I didn't build the website but I know who did and to be fair it's better than it was a year ago. More to be done, appreciate the feedback.
    Your best option is to use one of the many content management systems that are in use these days. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal etc. or you can go for a bespoke one which would be a bit pricier.

The main thing with a CMS, you will be able to keep the site up to date without a huge amount of effort and constantly having to go back to the guy that built it.

All the CMS offerings have responsive templates, so your site will work on any platform out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Please don't think I am knocking the website or developer of it, I have zero knowledge of website design etc, just wanted to give my personal feedback. To be fair the content is there which is all good, it is more just the layout that I don't find easy to navigate to the content. Responsiveness is good and fast which is important.

For me, when I first look at it (First time I have been on Moate golf club website), I am looking for a picture of the course which invites you, you see it, think this course looks great, lets look around the site more, I couldn't find pictures of the course just a fly over from briefly looking on the site.

Also the black boxes with captain, president, etc I would initially be drawn towards these as drop down menus. The actual menus in front of me look more like text boxes and not a clickable link, for me personally I think less is more, if people want to know who captain, president etc is they can search, but straight off the bat they want to see a flattering picture of the course. Also two seperate menus to me is a little confusing, as you have some options in front of you, then another menu down the left if you can't find what you're looking for.

For me, visiting a different website, the very first thing I want to see is some nice pictures, to make me think, I want to play this course sometime! Secondly then I will be interested in the layout of the course / scorecard, and contact details / booking a tee time. Then I will be interested in the smaller details. I guess I am personally more in favour of something along the lines of these typical layouts:

http://www.arklowgolflinks.com/
    http://www.waterfordgolfclub.com/
    http://www.enniscorthygc.ie/
    http://www.braygolfclub.com/
    http://www.newrossgolfclub.ie/

Please don't think I am being harsh or knocking anybodies effort, as I said I never saw the website or course before so just wanted to give feedback from a first time visitor to the club website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Scrap it and have an updated FBook page instead. Much easier to manage and more consistent from one committee to the next.

that is the most ridiculous suggestion.

A club needs a proper website, not just a facebook page.

By that logic, every company should just close their websites and just run pages on Facebook. :rolleyes:

it might be easy to manage, but it is not a proper website and they are never easy to navigate. they are nothing more than an information feed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Seve OB wrote: »
    that is the most ridiculous suggestion.

A club needs a proper website, not just a facebook page.

By that logic, every company should just close their websites and just run pages on Facebook. :rolleyes:

it might be easy to manage, but it is not a proper website and they are never easy to navigate. they are nothing more than an information feed

I would have to concur with this.

If you want to be taken seriously as a club (or any kind of business for that matter) you will need more than just a Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

bside29 wrote: »
    I'd like to put together a full list of the "best golf websites of 2016", (good websites that golf lovers should follow).

I belive that my list is not yet complete, any golf websites I'm missing?

Without thinking to much about it, 2 obvious ones you left out
    www.europeantour.com
    www.owgr.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Advertisement