Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you wnt from your clubs website

Options
  • 27-01-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Evening all, i always like looking at what is going on in other golf clubs through browsing their websites. The variety and quality varies enormously the lack of activity on a lot of club sites is something that really sticks out. So my question is what do you want from your clubs website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Scrap it and have an updated FBook page instead. Much easier to manage and more consistent from one committee to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Club website's main purpose should be as an advertising tool for visitors and potential members.
    News page for members is great, but too many clubs set the page up and then never update it, so it looks worse when a potential member looks at the news and see its hasn't been updated since open week 2013. As above, a good Facebook page, howdoido and brs really covers the members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Scrap it and have an updated FBook page instead. Much easier to manage and more consistent from one committee to the next.
    Visitors book a tee time through Facebook??

Not everyone is on Facebook nor would I trust a link from it with my debit card details. I do think social media has its place but the club should still have a website.

Actual pictures of the course and facilities. So many have a Gallery section that is just presentations. IMO keep that in the members section or have a separate section for good quality course pictures.

Course condition including when sanding/pole forking is due and most importantly if its open or closed.

Rathcore recently ( i think) released a Club App giving details of the course,weather etc. Great idea imo

https://www.clubapplive.com/golf/index.html?clubid=355

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Club news, fixtures, results, score card and course book with pics ideally, gallery, join & teams info, links to howdidido & brsgolf. My club has most of that but its a little disjointed, other than that no complaints. In fact since its probably stitched together by people in their spare time its not fantastic but a fairly decent effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

A club should never rely on social media for its web presence. All of the SM platforms have a part to play: Facebook for photos, member info and general info, Twitter for announcements and other notifications (again mostly for members). The website should always be looked at as a permanent location on the web (a bit like the clubhouse) where the most important information and member facilities on the club can live.

So the BRS booking, the membership information and application forms, green fee rates, contact information, location, map, score card etc. Links to the SM pages should also be on the club website.

Social media trends can change and not everyone changes with them or even bothers with them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

A club should never rely on social media for its web presence. All of the SM platforms have a part to play: Facebook for photos, member info and general info, Twitter for announcements and other notifications (again mostly for members). The website should always be looked at as a permanent location on the web (a bit like the clubhouse) where the most important information and member facilities on the club can live.

So the BRS booking, the membership information and application forms, green fee rates, contact information, location, map, score card etc. Links to the SM pages should also be on the club website.

Social media trends can change and not everyone changes with them or even bothers with them in the first place.
    You're selling yourself short if you're not utilising social media, even if as you suggest it may be a trend or passing fad, if you don't adapt, you lose.
    Also Facebook tee time booking is a link to your clubs booking system e.g. BRS etc., it's not an independent booking system offered by Facebook as someone above suggested.

OP, the least I'd expect from my clubs website administrator is that they are literate or at the very least knows how to use spell check:pac::pac:.

You're selling yourself short if you're not utilising social media, even if as you suggest it may be a trend or passing fad, if you don't adapt, you lose.
    Also Facebook tee time booking is a link to your clubs booking system e.g. BRS etc., it's not an independent booking system offered by Facebook as someone above suggested.

OP, the least I'd expect from my clubs website administrator is that they are literate or at the very least knows how to use spell check:pac::pac:.
    :confused:

If you read my post correctly, you'd see that I'm advocating the use of social media. But as an adjunct to your website, not as a replacement as some are suggesting.

Its very easy to set up a page linking to a fraudulent site. I see loads of people following .CocaCola , .DunnesStores etc.

All they have to do is put a fullstop before the name and link to your own version of BRS.

I'd much rather use the main website, I know I can trust the links

I never suggested it was FB hosting BRS, I just said I wouldn't follow the link from Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Its very easy to set up a page linking to a fraudulent site. I see loads of people following .CocaCola , .DunnesStores etc.

All they have to do is put a fullstop before the name and link to your own version of BRS.

I'd much rather use the main website, I know I can trust the links

I never suggested it was FB hosting BRS, I just said I wouldn't follow the link from Facebook

Do you, how?

I'd say the majority of bodged club websites contain security holes you could drive a Dublin bus through.

Do you, how?

I'd say the majority of bodged club websites contain security holes you could drive a Dublin bus through.
    By definition, all bodged websites would have security holes...

• Advertisement

By definition, all bodged websites would have security holes...

You know that how?

Do you, how?

Most probably do, although HTTPS will help.

The chances of someone getting access to the admin side of a club website are much lower than using a phishing scam via Facebook though. 90% of the successful scams I would think come from inept users. Give them one platform to use and they can't really go wrong as long as the security is decent enough to deter a serious attempt to gain control.

You know that how?
    Because the definition of 'bodged' is badly put together. Badly put together implies badly maintained as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Thanks for all the opinions, the reason i ask is that we are reformatting ours, (Blessington Lakes) this week as it has be corrupted a couple of times in the last month so we needed to beef up our security. We are using the Wordpress platform to host our site which is really easy for people to use which is great so you are not depending on the one person to post the latest news, results and important notices etc. I think its important that the site is very active and up to date all times. There should also be a story for each comp that tries to have a little humility and humor.The facebook pages of sites are a great way to see all the club photos throughout the year and it amazes me how some clubs are not even using this tool. back to the drawing board.

Thanks for all the opinions, the reason i ask is that we are reformatting ours, (Blessington Lakes) this week as it has be corrupted a couple of times in the last month so we needed to beef up our security. We are using the Wordpress platform to host our site which is really easy for people to use which is great so you are not depending on the one person to post the latest news, results and important notices etc. I think its important that the site is very active and up to date all times. There should also be a story for each comp that tries to have a little humility and humor.The facebook pages of sites are a great way to see all the club photos throughout the year and it amazes me how some clubs are not even using this tool. back to the drawing board.
    Just a bit of advice on using WordPress. It's extremely popular and because it's open source is constantly being hacked at. It's vital that you keep the software up to date and make sure that admin passwords are strong and regularly changed.

Have a read up on additional security measures you can take and check that your hosting company does automatic backups as well.

Thanks CMO, yes just changed them all there this evening and the chap that is doing the hardening up knows his stuff, we were just complacent as the site problem free for the last 13 months, on reflection we need to change the passwords every month at the least.

Because the definition of 'bodged' is badly put together. Badly put together implies badly maintained as well.

Just because something badly put together doesn't mean it's insecure. Just means there is more risk of that occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I look after a club website for the Hibernian Golf and agree completely, constant updates, course info, results summaries etc are important to encourage regular hits to the site. By nature we all feed off new reading material. Gives positive signals to potential new joiners as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

The information provided by http://www.masterscoreboard.ie/about.php looks really great.
    You can see each round by each player, hole by hole, playing history, player handicaps including historical handicaps.

You have to use the Handicap Master system to update it.

(I've no connection with these btw)

The information provided by http://www.masterscoreboard.ie/about.php looks really great.
    You can see each round by each player, hole by hole, playing history, player handicaps including historical handicaps.

You have to use the Handicap Master system to update it.

(I've no connection with these btw)
    Hi Billy, totally agree i think its far better than how did i do, we use this and also leave it open for people to view. IMO all clubs should be able to see each others results down to actual score per hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Rathcore recently ( i think) released a Club App giving details of the course,weather etc. Great idea imo

https://www.clubapplive.com/golf/index.html?clubid=355

Just on the live scoring aspect of Club App... does anyone use it at their own club? I think it would be very useful for the likes of majors and big matches.. especially having the app streamed on the TV in the bar.

I have used it before but each group needed a designated marker for the app... don't think this would work in a lot of clubs because of lack of smart phones/interest from older members. I guess you could have some juniors marking at every few holes perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I appreciate that this might be a case of careful what you ask for but would anyone like to give their opinions of our website. I'd appreciate the good and the bad points - constructive criticism rather than silly comments.

http://www.moategolfclub.ie/

In reference to the OP's question, I want results posted quickly and kept up to date, club information for both members and visitors, photos, news and the odd novelty item.

I appreciate that this might be a case of careful what you ask for but would anyone like to give their opinions of our website. I'd appreciate the good and the bad points - constructive criticism rather than silly comments.

In reference to the OP's question, I want results posted quickly and kept up to date, club information for both members and visitors, photos, news and the odd novelty item.

yes Moate's website is really active and informative, you really get the sense the sense of "Club" when you look in.

yes Moate's website is really active and informative, you really get the sense the sense of "Club" when you look in.

No offence to Moate but the site is a mess. Also it looks like something built in the 90's.

I dunno how you get any sense from that. Each to their own I suppose.

You need to get someone to look at the IA on it. Only committee members would design a site with their names the most prominent :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Had a quick look on my phone and closed it straight away. It's not responsive so almost impossible to navigate on a mobile device.

By the way about 65% of all your views will be on mobile.

Have great info is not enough, it needs to be accessible

Had a quick look on my phone and closed it straight away. It's not responsive so almost impossible to navigate on a mobile device.

That's interesting. I didn't build the website but I know who did and to be fair it's better than it was a year ago. More to be done, appreciate the feedback.

No offence to Moate but the site is a mess. Also it looks like something built in the 90's.

I dunno how you get any sense from that. Each to their own I suppose.
    oh dear, its a golf club and its quirky 90's format vibe gives it that sense of club i am talking about, plenty of stuff going on and lots of info. i like i have to say.

• Advertisement

yes agreed, just as golf clubs get their act together somewhat on websites they need now model them on how they look and feel on mobile devices.

Advertisement