Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

noelfirl wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder, seeing as the app description says this:

...whether it might not already be possible (unofficially) to collect top ups paid through the website (i.e. not through the app). If anyone wanted to try...
    It is possible. My Taxsaver ticket expired at the end of January :- my employer obviously bought it online,and I transferred it via the app. I'm not quite sure when or how it did it, I didn't notice any message about transferring or update a ticket, but the app is now showing the new ticket. (As are validation machines).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

No message will appear. If the ticket is ready to collect it is automatically loaded on to the card when you scan it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

howiya wrote: »
    I don't get why the minimum top up is five euro when journeys are cheaper.
    They want to reduce the number of transactions so that ticket machines and Payzone agents aren't swamped with transactions of €1.50. At that level, the transaction costs are rather high.

They don't want people to use them as a dumping ground for small change.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    They don't want people to use them as a dumping ground for small change.

The "loose change" option, despite the fiver minimum, is inviting that. And I've done it the odd time towards the end of a month when I'd prefer to keep 'real' money in my account or in notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Apologies if this has been answered before;

I occasionally use my leapcard on Dublin Bus and am often confused by the amount of people who bypass the driver and use the validator instead.

It was my understanding that the validator only applies the maximum fare, so are all these people going all the way on the bus?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Monthly tickets, annual tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

JayRoc wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered before;

I occasionally use my leapcard on Dublin Bus and am often confused by the amount of people who bypass the driver and use the validator instead.

It was my understanding that the validator only applies the maximum fare, so are all these people going all the way on the bus?

That or they have monthly/annual tickets loaded on their leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

That or they have monthly/annual tickets loaded on their leap card.

Or know that they will (or have already) hit the daily or weekly cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Can you use the Dublin Bus TVM at the Airport for uploading an on-line top up to your leap card?

I rang Leap and they didn't know if Dublin Bus Airport TVM could be used as a load location.

There is a transport for Ireland sticker (ie NTA) on the TVM, which is confusing, but I didn't see a leap symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

mickmmc wrote: »
    Can you use the Dublin Bus TVM at the Airport for uploading an on-line top up to your leap card?

I rang Leap and they didn't know if Dublin Bus Airport TVM could be used as a load location.

There is a transport for Ireland sticker (ie NTA) on the TVM, which is confusing, but I didn't see a leap symbol.

The Spar shops at the airport will facilitate top-ups at the airport.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I can use the Spar shops.

It seems Dublin Bus and Irish Rail are designing their own contactless card:rolleyes:(per article in Irish Independent).

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Looking for some clarity, to top up using the Android app and NFC, does it only work for registered leapcards?
    I've tried mine and a friends, both not registered and can't seem to top them up. The device can detect the cards but says error each time..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Thanks for that. I can use the Spar shops.

It seems Dublin Bus and Irish Rail are designing their own contactless card:rolleyes:(per article in Irish Independent).

No they're not - they're talking about swiping smartphones to pay for travel.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/cies-new-mobile-payments-swipe-to-buy-your-ticket-34442032.html

The NTA will ultimately be responsible for approving any new payment methods.

hytrogen wrote: »
    Looking for some clarity, to top up using the Android app and NFC, does it only work for registered leapcards?
    I've tried mine and a friends, both not registered and can't seem to top them up. The device can detect the cards but says error each time..
    Does your phone meet the minimum standards? https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-top-up-app

I noticed that the Dublin Bus TVM at the Airport has different fares to the NTA approved fares.

The single journey fare on that TVM is €3.10 (cheapest ticket for PSO services).

It must not be leap compatible.

Does your phone meet the minimum standards? https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-top-up-app

Hi Victor, yes it does. It's not a HTC device thankfully. I'm just curious if anyone else is having trouble using the app on non-registered cards??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

hytrogen wrote: »
    Hi Victor, yes it does. It's not a HTC device thankfully. I'm just curious if anyone else is having trouble using the app on non-registered cards??
    You need to be connected to the internet even just for accessing the cards. Might that have been the problem?

plodder wrote: »
    You need to be connected to the internet even just for accessing the cards. Might that have been the problem?

Interweb connection fine too, NFC on. Just the cards and leap system seem to be the problem I reckon?
    I just tried them there now & they're working grand.. must have been the millenium bug :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I noticed that the Dublin Bus TVM at the Airport has different fares to the NTA approved fares.

The single journey fare on that TVM is €3.10 (cheapest ticket for PSO services).

It must not be leap compatible.

Its a single Travel90 ticket only available in the airport. Its listed in the fare determinations.

The 2 TVMS at the 41 & 16 Bus stop at Dublin Airport should accept leap top up payments and also should be a leap load location.

Having to go to the Spar shop to top up or upload your credit is a bit of a farce.

The NTA need to get their act together and have Leap compatible TVMS at the Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Any chance there'll be free travel with Leap cards on Feb 29th for the Leap year? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The new 1916 Commemorative Leap Family card is available from next week and I'm curious is this the first commemorative/non-standard design leap card to be produced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

What is Leap/NTA's policy on retailers adding a surcharge to leap card top-ups?

I was getting lunch in a shop that is practically on a Luas platform earlier and wanted to top up my card. The shop wanted 50 cent on top of a €10 so I didn't take it and topped up my card at the Luas stop

howiya wrote: »
    What is Leap/NTA's policy on retailers adding a surcharge to leap card top-ups?

I was getting lunch in a shop that is practically on a Luas platform earlier and wanted to top up my card. The shop wanted 50 cent on top of a €10 so I didn't take it and topped up my card at the Luas stop

Surcharge OK for credit card usage. Not OK otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

My local MACE Has started charging €0.50 per transaction on Leapcard.
    I was onto leapcard.ie and they told me that they sometimes charge a fee for Credit or debit card transactions, I was paying in cash and they still asked for the fee ( I told them what to do with it)
    Anyone else come across this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bistoman wrote: »
    I was onto leapcard.ie and they told me that they sometimes charge a fee for Credit or debit card transactions, I was paying in cash and they still asked for the fee ( I told them what to do with it)

Read the two posts above yours

They are breaking their deal with Payzone.

Bistoman wrote: »
    Make a complaint to the NTA, including the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Make a complaint to the NTA, including the details.

I contacted the store owner, She told Me they Don't charge anything but she would talk to the staff member.
    I got a message this morning
    Hi *, I spoken with the sales assisant who was serving you there may have been an misunderstanding on that day. We definately do not charge any additional charge for the Leap card top-ups. Regards *

Now there was no understanding My behalf, The staff member was adamant that I could not top up without paying the fee.
    It bothers Me that I was probley not the first person to top up when that staff member was on, Who knows how long people ware being overcharged?

I suppose I'll just have to take the owners word it was a mistake, And get on with it.
    But remember the next time some "Staff" member tries this, Its wrong and they cant charge extra.

Advertisement