Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card questions

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Two quick ones.

My daughter has run out of credit and is in the city centre looking to get home. If I top up online how long is it before she can pick it up? The website says purchases before 10pm will be ready by 8am the next day? :eek:

The other is does the DB validator on the RHS show the remaining balance on the card when you use it? I know the driver's does, but I can't remember if the other ones does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

If you top up online she cannot collect it until the following day. If possible, get her to go to a pay zone agent and top up there.

I'm not sure if it shows your balance on the second validator. I would imagine it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do you have an Android phone with NFC? Try downloading the Leap Top-Up app. You can top up instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

TheChizler wrote: »
    Do you have an Android phone with NFC? Try downloading the Leap Top-Up app. You can top up instantly.

No, iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

n97 mini wrote: »
    No, iPhone.
    A friend?

TheChizler wrote: »
    A friend?

She's in on her own, fortunately she had a fiver on her and could top up using cash.

It's a bit crap that even though the top up has been billed to my card, it's in absentia. Presumably it gets invested on the stock markets in the 24 hours it's missing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

She's in on her own, fortunately she had a fiver on her and could top up using cash.

It's a bit crap that even though the top up has been billed to my card, it's in absentia. Presumably it gets invested on the stock markets in the 24 hours it's missing.

Yeah. Leap card is just an investments scam so the nta acting on behalf of the government can recoup budgetary deficits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It's the same on oyster in London. Not just a leap issue

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Not surprising when you consider the major party behind the infrastructure is also one of the main parties in launching and running Oyster.

Yeah. Leap card is just an investments scam so the nta acting on behalf of the government can recoup budgetary deficits.

Now you're just talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Now you're just talking rubbish.
    Jaysus, you failed Sarcasm in school, I'm betting..

• Advertisement

Thanks for your useful contribution, it's worthy of thanks. But au contraire. For those of us old enough to know, inter bank transfers took an inordinate amount of working days to complete, the reason given was that the funds were temporarily used to earn the bank money. At least that's what we were told when I worked in the bank.

While I was being sarcastic, the other post has no basis in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't get why the minimum top up is five euro when journeys are cheaper.

I asked leap about it once and they responded comparing it to mobile phone top ups. They didn't have an answer when I pointed out that I use my phone today and pay for it at the end of the month..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thanks for your useful contribution, it's worthy of thanks. But au contraire. For those of us old enough to know, inter bank transfers took an inordinate amount of working days to complete, the reason given was that the funds were temporarily used to earn the bank money. At least that's what we were told when I worked in the bank.

It doesn't matter when you purchase the topup be it online, with the new app on your phone, in a shop or on a ticket vending machine. Travel credit is held by the nta until reconciling any moneys due to an operator. There is no benefit to them holding onto an online topup for a day. The frequency issues with online topups are due to the operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was she actually in minus figures or did she think she didn't have enough to pay for the journey? If it was the latter once she's in credit she can dip into the minus figure ie has credit of 50c she can use the bus then, but if she's below 0 then she can't.

She tagged on the bus going into town with €1.80 credit before she tagged on. So she went slightly into minus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Overnight interest rates are basically zero to negative right now so it's not that

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

A 5 euro minimum top-up on Leap is more than reasonable as this barely covers a return journey in and out of town. If that's an issue, you could just pay cash on the bus. To be honest, I'm quite surprised they haven't got a 10 or even 20 euro minimum on top-ups. A realistic minimum is about a week's worth of travel since relatively few people get paid more often than once a week.

The reality is that Payzone top-ups cost a relatively large amount of money to process as do on-line credit card transactions. Is it really worth a shop's while to process a 5 euro top-up for maybe 15c profit while there's a huge queue of fuming customers waiting with sandwiches and coffees each of whom is worth a couple of euro to the shop.

The Android NFC app for Leap is a brilliant innovation. Now that they can do this, it also means that the reverse should be possible. It would be really handy if they allowed you keep a copy of your ticket on your phone - particularly for those of us with passes - there would be no more chance of leaving your pass in the wrong jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

It's possible and will undoubtedly appear in the future but it's technically very challenging. Contactless smart cards like Leap are built from the ground up to be very secure. You could tear the chip apart and not be able to read the data stored on it. Likewise it would be very difficult for you to create a fake ticket on a Leap card.

On the other hand, if you have the phone in your hand, it's almost impossible for anyone to stop you reading a file (like a ticket) that is stored on it. It's equally difficult for someone to stop you creating a new ticket on your phone.

There are technologies around to work around this but one requires the cooperation of your mobile phone company, the other requires your phone to have a fast, reliable internet connection when you want to board a bus or train and the third requires you to be Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

She tagged on the bus going into town with €1.80 credit before she tagged on. So she went slightly into minus.

Always worth having the auto top up feature enabled for the kids I find.

I topped up with the app, which is essentially online. Don't understand how that is available instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I topped up with the app, which is essentially online. Don't understand how that is available instantly.

The app is using NFC on your phone which is the same as topping up with a Luas or Rail ticket machine.

The app is using NFC on your phone which is the same as topping up with a Luas or Rail ticket machine.

That's the delivery, but the payment is still online, using 3D secure etc. TVMs aren't using the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

That's the delivery, but the payment is still online, using 3D secure etc. TVMs aren't using the internet.

It's a step in the right direction. For me, I don't live near a payzone agent and there are no ticket machines close by. I find the nfc app to be really good.

Nor are they actively connected to the back end for leap. All those transactions are processed periodically.

What's different fom online topup purchasdd on the website is that the tvm connects to your card.

The NFC chip connects to your card.

The website does not.

The NFC chip connects to your card.

The website does not.

You're confusing delivery and payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

You're confusing delivery and payment.

Nope, I think you are. Payment is instant regardless of which means you use. However delivery is delayed when paying online and collecting via validator, payzone, TVM, etc. Just look at paypal, etc. when processing credit and debit cards, there is no appreciable delay in payment because they are online, and similar applies here. The delay is simply in delivery with the other means.

cython wrote: »
    Nope, I think you are. Payment is instant regardless of which means you use.
    Eh, I'm not.

I'll explain again. I can top online via either the app or the website, it's the same thing. The app is able to update my card on the spot.

I can also top up on the spot using a TVM.

However if I top up online, for delivery via a TVM, and it takes overnight to for the TVM to be able to deliver the top up.

Must be An Post doing deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Eh, I'm not.

I'll explain again. I can top online via either the app or the website, it's the same thing. The app is able to update my card on the spot.

However if I top up online, for delivery via a TVM, and it takes overnight to for the TVM to be able to deliver the top up.

Perhaps,however I have in the past Topped Up my Leapcard online and collected the amount 2 hours later at Luas TVM....more than once too,I suspect the 24 hour rule is simply insurance against events taking a turn ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Eh, I'm not.

It is still the case that the delivery incurs the delay, not the payment. Both the app and online process payment with no delay, so TVMs using the internet or not is irrelevant (actually not sure why you even raised that to be honest).

The website has no means to update your leap card, and there is obviously a delay in updates being pushed from the website to TVMs, but again this is a delivery issue, not payment. A nice to have would be to be able to "collect" via the app, I guess, if it's somehow too awkward to pay via it, but realistically when payment through the app is possible that's probably way down any feature list, if it were even on any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

cython wrote: »
    The website has no means to update your leap card, and there is obviously a delay in updates being pushed from the website to TVMs, but again this is a delivery issue, not payment. A nice to have would be to be able to "collect" via the app, I guess, if it's somehow too awkward to pay via it, but realistically when payment through the app is possible that's probably way down any feature list, if it were even on any.

I can't help but wonder, seeing as the app description says this:
    - Collect a pre-paid ticket e.g. a TaxSaver ticket or a ticket bought online at www.leapcard.ie

...whether it might not already be possible (unofficially) to collect top ups paid through the website (i.e. not through the app). If anyone wanted to try...

Advertisement