Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variations on a Theme 15 [Magnetic 69]

Options
  • 24-01-2016 10:43pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello lovelies!

With our VOAT writing period taking place from Febuary 1st -- 14th, a moderator's mind turns, of course, to shagging love.

No, I'm not making you write love stories (unless you want to).

In 1999 The Magnetic Fields released a triple album of 69 bonkers love songs, called, eh, 69 Love Songs.

I've taken just over a third of the titles (the ones I deemed to be less restrictive to a writer) and popped them into a spreadsheet.

Sign up here, and on February 1st I will allocate you a random title as an inspiration for your story. Simple as that.

What is VOAT?
    An informal short story competition open to anyone with a boards account.

Here are some previous versions so you can get an idea.
    13. Yuletide Yarns
    11. Opening Line
    10. Zappa
    9. Twilight Zone

The word-count limit:

Deadline:
    Midnight February 14th. But you can submit at any time up until that point.

How to Enter:
    Firstly express your interest by posting below or sending me a PM and I will send you your randomly assigned prompt.

Then send the finished story to me in a PM, and I will post it on your behalf.
    Don't post it on the thread yourself.

Voting:
    February 15th to 28th.

Prizes:
    The right to lord it over the rest of us.

Anything else?
    If you're entering something, you are expected to give feedback on other entries during the voting phase. Be cool.

If you really really can't work with your prompt, come back to me for another. One change is all I'll allow though.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

People who've already signed up in the earlier thread. Please let me know if there's any change.

Rubecula
    Mr E
    Ficheall
    Das Kitty*
    Fuzzytrooper
    echo_beach
    redser7
    bluewolf
    trout
    Brian Lighthouse
    Hrududu
    sheep?
    Ilyana 2.0
    Leafonthewind
    R P McMurphy
    Achilles
    Digge
    Arghus

*I'll take mine last, and get one of you to choose the from the remaining numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm still in.

I remember that album. Completely bonkers and about 40% great if I remember correctly... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

I'm in, but not to be confused with redzer7 with a Z :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Finally get to log back in.
    Yeah, still in, PM a prompt please Das Kitty, whenever you're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Ooh a VOAT now what gave you that idea? LOL of course I am still in. Just give me the title that either everyone wants or the title NOBODY wants lol

Actually the former is too good for me the latter is best. Why? Well I am useless at these things so try not to waste a good one on me who will never do it justice anyway.

• Advertisement

This day week, everybody who signed up will be getting their randomly assigned prompt at the same time.

Apart from me, and anyone who wants to throw their hat into the ring after Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Some great titles there. Looking forward to this.

I remember my first VOAT. Mainly because I'm still working on the novel that sprung from it. :D

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I remember my first VOAT. Mainly because I'm still working on the novel that sprung from it. :D

Slow coach, you have spent far too much time with tea and biccies haven't you? :D

Not at all jealous you know :D:D:D

And I thought we only had to write a couple of thousand words and then forget about it. That's what I'm doing wrong.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Unfortunately I will have to miss this one due to an unexpectedly large workload coming up over the same two weeks as the writing. I'm disappointed at not being able to take part but really looking forward to reading all the stories in due course.
    Good luck guys, it looks like there will be some great prompts to get those creative juices flowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

I'll give it a go!

(whistle whistle whistle) January sure is one loooong ass month.

Soon.

Hopefully we'll have very few dropouts. A strong field. Maybe we'll publish an anthology!

A strong field. Maybe we'll publish an anthology!

Wait until you see the offerings. You might change your mind!

Prompts dispatched!

For transparency's sake. This is how I randomised.

I took the list of people, and the list of prompts, and I randomized each in the Random.org List Randomiser.

Then I put them beside each other in a spreadsheet.

So it's just me left to get a prompt.

Someone shout with a number between 15 and 30.

24 for you DK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ha, I have one of their songs on my ipod
    good stuff

thanks

echo beach wrote: »
    24 for you DK.

Oh god.

I'm sure I can work with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I'm so bloody nervous about this! First time writing something since my LC. Thanks for the PM Das Kitty, will do my utmost to send you something resembling a coherent story. :)

• Advertisement

How many entrants, DK?

Mr E wrote: »
    How many entrants, DK?

15 out of the gate.

A wild Achilles steps onto the field. :D

... and Das Kitty said "Heel!"

Wrote 300 words last night. Not sure about the direction. Might start over. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    ... and Das Kitty said "Heel!"

Wrote 300 words last night. Not sure about the direction. Might start over. :)

I've outlines on a bunch of post-its for three stories now. They're all lame. I just need to figure out which one is the lesser in lameness and write that one with actual typed words and not just scribbles with a blobby biro.

I've outlines on a bunch of post-its for three stories now.

Such industry. You are far ahead of me I have ONE post-it, with the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Well I haven't written a dot yet. Had to let the prompt simmer away for the first day, but I think I have a rough idea now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

A pet hate of mine is "midnight deadlines". Is a "Sunday midnight" before or after the rest of Sunday? 23.59 or 00.01 seem much clearer. And don't get me started on "next Thursday"...

Not a criticism, DK, I just don't know when you mean :(

Just now got the title/theme Dunno what I am going to write yet. Thanks DK.

(Not been well so not been online for a few days ... sorry)

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    A pet hate of mine is "midnight deadlines". Is a "Sunday midnight" before or after the rest of Sunday? 23.59 or 00.01 seem much clearer. And don't get me started on "next Thursday"...

Not a criticism, DK, I just don't know when you mean :(

Well for what it's worth I took it to mean that time of a Sunday when you say to yourself, ah crap, I have to stop drinking, I've got work in the morning.

Advertisement