Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VII: The Fan-base Awakens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

molloyjh wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it is tbh. There are often complaints like that so I doubt it's referring to any one person or any one incident.

Fair enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I think this is a dig at my recent comments about munster last week. There is a big difference here in that Leinster were on their own half. Munster were deep in opposition territory against a team that showed no attack throughout the game. It's all about context.

I also said that I completely understood the decision by munster, just would have liked them try to score to give the team/fans a confidence boost.

Zebre were held up over the line[or close to it] twice i think. They had chances to get in front and force munster to chase the game. Munster were in similar position against Embra a few months ago and nearly lost the game from an intercept. If they were chasing a 4th try to get into a top 4 position later in the season then you would expect them to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Healy dancing the "I'm off foreign" pas de deux with the IRFU that he has seen work nicely for other in recent weeks. I guess its just a standard part of the resigning choreography now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/cian-healy-considers-premiership-move-after-worcester-table-offer-1.2521624

Healy dancing the "I'm off foreign" pas de deux with the IRFU that he has seen work nicely for other in recent weeks. I guess its just a standard part of the resigning choreography now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/cian-healy-considers-premiership-move-after-worcester-table-offer-1.2521624

Should have been done and dusted in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

He is in his hole going to the Warriors. Healy seems exceptionally motivated by medals, trophies and glory rather than money. He won't get many medals with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah IRFU, I'm definitely considering a move to Worcester.

giphy.gif

If we were to lose Healy on top of Mads and Moore and don't get a decent signing (9 or a 12/13), it would end up being a very poor negotiation season for Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think this is a dig at my recent comments about munster last week.

It really isn't. Just a general comment.

Munster trying to score a try in their scenario was far more nuts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

If we were to lose Healy on top of Mads and Moore and don't get a decent signing (9 or a 12/13), it would end up being a very poor negotiation season for Leinster!

And Teo and (supposedly) Ryan.

DGRulz wrote: »
    And Teo and (supposedly) Ryan.

I knew I was forgetting someone!

• Advertisement

Healy's only managed 8 starts for us in the past 2 seasons (8 appearances off the bench too).

I'd like him to stay, for sure, but he's actually barely been a part of Leinster for the last while!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Healy's only managed 8 starts for us in the past 2 seasons (8 appearances off the bench too).

I'd like him to stay, for sure, but he's actually barely been a part of Leinster for the last while!

All the more reason I'd be surprised other clubs are willing to bid big money for him. His form hasn't been great when he has actually gotten on the field in the last couple of years.

Healy I hope is just looking for the best deal possible. If he got back to form he still has plenty of years ahead of him.

Any other Leinster news at all? I'm not touching the Ireland thread til Sunday at kick off.

Healy I hope is just looking for the best deal possible. If he got back to form he still has plenty of years ahead of him.

Any other Leinster news at all? I'm not touching the Ireland thread til Sunday at kick off.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IRFU should call Healy's bluff on this one I reckon.

awec wrote: »
    IRFU should call Healy's bluff on this one I reckon.

Worked well with Moore didn't it? Good suggestion.

Worked well with Moore didn't it? Good suggestion.

At what point do you draw the line? I am all for players getting better deals and the IRFU doing what they can to retain talent, and in cases that means offering longer contracts.

However are we really going to have to go through this dance every time a player is out of contract.

1. Healy has been rubbish for a while now
    2. He hasn't played that much for Leinster or Ireland this past while
    3. McGrath is ahead of him now

Call his bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wait on till we see how Porter goes in the U20s, then call Healy's bluff

:p

At what point do you draw the line? I am all for players getting better deals and the IRFU doing what they can to retain talent, and in cases that means offering longer contracts.

However are we really going to have to go through this dance every time a player is out of contract.

1. Healy has been rubbish for a while now
    2. He hasn't played that much for Leinster or Ireland this past while
    3. McGrath is ahead of him now

Call his bluff.

The problem is that Healy could still find his form again with some consistent game time. Also we have limited props now with Moore gone so we need to try and hold on to who we still have so that we can manage game times and injury cover well. We need to try and balance all these kinds of considerations up. as well as the things you've raised. I don't think at this stage we can really afford to let him go.

I don't think it's a 'call his bluff' situation. I'd be pretty happy for the IRFU to make him a reasonable offer but he's definitely no longer a 'wow wow wow, spend all to keep' kind of player like he once was.

IRFU have gotten that wrong before (with Sexton), in that they didn't bust the bank when they probably should have, I wouldn't be overly delighted with them now making the opposite error and overspending when the return (8+8 performances of very mixed form over 2 seasons) has been quite poor. {Note, he'll still be able to play for Ireland if he left, so it's only the Leinster appearances I'm counting here}

From a Leinster & Ireland perspective
    McGrath quite simply has been the better player for the full two seasons.

From an Ireland only perspective
    Cronin, Kilcoyne and Buckely are all playing well. McCall at Ulster could develop nicely too.

This is probably Healy's weakest ever opportunity to demand a big contract from the IRFU, ever since we've seen him play! Likewise, it's probably the IRFU's strongest ever negotiating position with him.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    The problem is that Healy could still find his form again with some consistent game time. Also we have limited props now with Moore gone so we need to try and hold on to who we still have so that we can manage game times and injury cover well. We need to try and balance all these kinds of considerations up. as well as the things you've raised. I don't think at this stage we can really afford to let him go.

On the other hand though Leinster have a limited budget, and is it worth spending big bucks on a guy who might get good again?

Tough call, though I'd be skeptical of the sort of deal Healy would be offered in England.

I don't think it's a 'call his bluff' situation. I'd be pretty happy for the IRFU to make him a reasonable offer but he's definitely no longer a 'wow wow wow, spend all to keep' kind of player like he once was.

IRFU have gotten that wrong before (with Sexton), in that they didn't bust the bank when they probably should have, I wouldn't be overly delighted with them now making the opposite error and overspending when the return (8+8 performances of very mixed form over 2 seasons) has been quite poor.

From a Leinster & Ireland perspective
    McGrath quite simply has been the better player for the full two seasons.

From an Ireland only perspective
    Cronin, Kilcoyne and Buckely are all playing well. McCall at Ulster could develop nicely too.

This is probably Healy's weakest ever opportunity to demand a big contract from the IRFU, ever since we've seen him play! Likewise, it's probably the IRFU's strongest ever negotiating position with him.

Also depends on what the sticking point is I guess.

If he isn't looking big money but just wants three years I'd be inclined to give it to him.

If he is looking for top dollar and three years I am not so sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

On the other hand though Leinster have a limited budget, and is it worth spending big bucks on a guy who might get good again?

Isn't he on a central contract with the irfu?

Ian Nagle has signed for LI so the rumours of him coming here haven't panned out. Not that that's a bad thing......

EDIT: seems he is on a short term deal until the end of this season so I may have jumped the gun there. Damn Twitter!

LI on a temp contract til end of the season I thought?

LI on a temp contract til end of the season I thought?

Yeah just saw that. Read a tweet with no link. Rookie mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sam Arnold is going to Munster. Makes you wonder what Leinster are looking to do next season. Still need at least one centre to play alongside Ringrose. Noel Reid doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It looks like he's going to give pro rugby another go so. Good for him! He's still young enough to have a few good years in the game if he has gotten over the injury curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Clegg wrote: »
    Sam Arnold is going to Munster. Makes you wonder what Leinster are looking to do next season. Still need at least one centre to play alongside Ringrose. Noel Reid doesn't cut it.

Very good signing by Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Clegg wrote: »

Tom Daly must surely be due a go soon? In third year of the academy and been playing for the A team the past two seasons and played for the Irish Sevens team before Christmas . He was great too at the U20 world cup a few seasons ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement