Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Storm Jonas (E. USA)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Spent most of the day yesterday digging out or sledding with the kids. Cold and windy on Saturday with the snow falling. Sunday was sunny but still cold. Today is expected to actually get above freezing.

Minivan buried in the back yard on Saturday. Snow still falling and I had already knocked a lot of snow off the roof of it:

IMG_20160123_093323681.jpg

Normally busy streets completely deserted:

IMG_20160123_143252090.jpg

IMG_20160123_144923820.jpg

IMG_20160123_144929102.jpg

Starting to dig out on Sunday. Measured 25 inches deep right at the corner. Lowest points were 18 inches (about 45 to 65cm).

IMG_20160124_101248133_HDR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Craziest snow story from Philly (so far): Car stuck in the snow, driver decides to put an old mattress under it for traction. Mattress and car go up in flames, destroy another parked car nearby in the process.

ETA: No-one was hurt, as far as I know. At least not until the owners of the parked cars catch up with the mattress genius.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20160125_Snow-choked_side_streets_anger_residents.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some tragic stories from the snow storm, one of a mother and her 1 year old child, they were in their car trying to stay warm. The snow covered the exhaust pipe and they died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

In Glengary in Virginia they got 42 inches of snow, many roofs collapsed under the weight of the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Read a sad story about a guy on the highway going to help another stranded motorist, the stranded motorist took out a gun and shot the guy dead.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/good-samaritan-shot-killed-driver-stuck-snow-police/story?id=36462969

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Read a sad story about a guy on the highway going to help another stranded motorist, the stranded motorist took out a gun and shot the guy dead.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/good-samaritan-shot-killed-driver-stuck-snow-police/story?id=36462969

What the actual fu*k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, if we get massive falls here I will expect boardsies with a sense of adventure to come and dig me out ;) Will feed thee! I have family and friends over there and they are well prepared which we are not. This time they had abundant time to prepare.. Last winter one of my family in Canada was hemmed in for weeks by ten feet of ice.. she was ready for it. I seem to remember back in 2010 that when broken bones from falls became prevalent the novelty wore off. But enjoy the scenes!

Well, waiting to hear from east coast Canada family and colleagues who are deep in snow and not yet dug out..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

As far as I'm aware the storm didn't affect Canada?
    Looking at this I was very surprised how mild it is in the USA at the moment, just about everywhere above freezing, 45f (7c) in the Dakotas at this time of year is incredible!

wgfhi.gif

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well, waiting to hear from east coast Canada family and colleagues who are deep in snow and not yet dug out..

All safe but they cannot get out yet...

Advertisement