Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Division

Options
  • 21-01-2016 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

So I've been searching but there hasn't really been any mention of it in here,
    granted we, Haven't seen the pc performance of the game on pc how ever I did come across this article here to be fair it seems very good and the fact I can switch lens flare of is even better.

But anyway, just wondering, whats every one thinking?

I'm not on a hype train but I may pre-purchases this... :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I'm really looking forward to it. Gonna be busy until mid April though so will hold off getting it. Hopefully it's as good as it looks. I like the whole open world co-op rpg shooter thing it's got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Initially I was fairly non-plussed, but feedback on the Dark Zone mechanic seems like it could make for some interesting gameplay. Edging towards a buy (assuming the game launches without any major Ubiesque probs).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm optimistic about it, I've managed to snag a beta key for the PC so won't be making a full decision on it till I've played that but really looking forward to giving it a test run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

When The Division was first demonstrated I was very excited. The level of detail, the realism, and the graphics looked excellent. I knew this was a game I was going to sink hours into. That was 2013. Today, and after seeing gameplay videos and reading about the game, I am much more likely to pass, which is a real shame.

The graphics look average (typical UbiSoft downgrade?), the bullet-sponging enemies looks ridiculous in a game aspiring to be as realistic as any Tom Clancy game set in a world that is trying to be a 1:1 replica of New York City, and it isn't really as multiplayer as I once thought. Apparently you meet people in the prescribed safe zones and head out in a party from there, you won't meet people scavenging or fighting on the streets.

Having said that, I do have a beta key for next weekend and I will put in a few hours to give it a good test, but my interest and excitement for this game has depleted quite a bit. One of the previewers at GameSpot said: 'It is a good and competent game, but in the three hours I played it never felt like a GREAT game'. I fear the reviews will reflect this and the inevitable comparison to Destiny will be made repeatedly. This reinforces my theory of games that try to be 'multi-disciplinary' are becoming poor, brown, generic, mundane titles with very little soul or passion to keep playing apart from the one-armed bandit psychological tempting mechanics driving them. Games that don't cross the boundary (and I mean games that describe themselves as all of these wrapped into one: rogue-like, survival horror, RPG, turn-based, shooter - for example) seem to excel and perform better critically. Wolfenstein: New Order and Rise of the Tomb Raider are perfect examples of this. Both games didn't have much expectation to be a success (especially Wolfenstein as it had no multiplayer) and yet it was quite easily a major sleeper hit in 2014. It was a pure single-player FPS with great shooting mechanics and an interesting story. If we compare that to Fallout 4, a game expected to be genre defining (which genre exactly?!), sell incredible records and be a GOTY contender, was received as great, but not perfection or as high as was expected. In fact, as time passes that opinion may decline and this could be attributed to the fact that Fallout 4 tried to do too much, tried to appeal to too many bases - FPS, RPG, Minecraft, BioWare-style.

Maybe its just me, but I prefer games to be one thing from the outset and build a game about excelling in ONE particular genre/mechanic/element than simply taking an idea and trying to spread it across a great number of 'in fashion' genres or styles. In the end the game becomes 'ok/good' at a lot of things, but not great or brilliant with at least one thing. I think The Division underwent a number of changes to reflect the current trend of 'popular' styles, Destiny, Borderlands, MOBA-ish, by trying to blend tactical shooter with RPG, MMO-lite, and DayZ-ish. To use the words of Eamon Dunphy: "It will be a good game, but not a great game."

When The Division was first demonstrated I was very excited. The level of detail, the realism, and the graphics looked excellent. I knew this was a game I was going to sink hours into. That was 2013. Today, and after seeing gameplay videos and reading about the game, I am much more likely to pass, which is a real shame.

The graphics look average (typical UbiSoft downgrade?), the bullet-sponging enemies looks ridiculous in a game aspiring to be as realistic as any Tom Clancy game set in a world that is trying to be a 1:1 replica of New York City, and it isn't really as multiplayer as I once thought. Apparently you meet people in the prescribed safe zones and head out in a party from there, you won't meet people scavenging or fighting on the streets.

Having said that, I do have a beta key for next weekend and I will put in a few hours to give it a good test, but my interest and excitement for this game has depleted quite a bit. One of the previewers at GameSpot said: 'It is a good and competent game, but in the three hours I played it never felt like a GREAT game'. I fear the reviews will reflect this and the inevitable comparison to Destiny will be made repeatedly. This reinforces my theory of games that try to be 'multi-disciplinary' are becoming poor, brown, generic, mundane titles with very little soul or passion to keep playing apart from the one-armed bandit psychological tempting mechanics driving them. Games that don't cross the boundary (and I mean games that describe themselves as all of these wrapped into one: rogue-like, survival horror, RPG, turn-based, shooter - for example) seem to excel and perform better critically. Wolfenstein: New Order and Rise of the Tomb Raider are perfect examples of this. Both games didn't have much expectation to be a success (especially Wolfenstein as it had no multiplayer) and yet it was quite easily a major sleeper hit in 2014. It was a pure single-player FPS with great shooting mechanics and an interesting story. If we compare that to Fallout 4, a game expected to be genre defining (which genre exactly?!), sell incredible records and be a GOTY contender, was received as great, but not perfection or as high as was expected. In fact, as time passes that opinion may decline and this could be attributed to the fact that Fallout 4 tried to do too much, tried to appeal to too many bases - FPS, RPG, Minecraft, BioWare-style.

Maybe its just me, but I prefer games to be one thing from the outset and build a game about excelling in ONE particular genre/mechanic/element than simply taking an idea and trying to spread it across a great number of 'in fashion' genres or styles. In the end the game becomes 'ok/good' at a lot of things, but not great or brilliant with at least one thing. I think The Division underwent a number of changes to reflect the current trend of 'popular' styles, Destiny, Borderlands, MOBA-ish, by trying to blend tactical shooter with RPG, MMO-lite, and DayZ-ish. To use the words of Eamon Dunphy: "It will be a good game, but not a great game."

• Advertisement

Apologies for the double post. Boards seems to have problems for me when using the quick reply option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A game I've been looking forward to very much since the initial preview.

Just unsure if to go with PS4 or PC. Will somewhat depend on what bunch of mates decided to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A game I've been looking forward to very much since the initial preview.

Just unsure if to go with PS4 or PC. Will somewhat depend on what bunch of mates decided to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Too many downgrades for it to be a pre-order or on release purchase for myself. My biggest concern is Ubisoft support. My current game that I am playing regularly is Rainbow Six Siege which had a terrible launch and even now after two patches it still has it's serious issues which Ubisoft are taking their time to fix. These were issues highlighted in the closed and open Beta's yet were still included at launch. Ubisoft servers could not handle the player load at launch and are still not very stable and that is for only a small map 5v5 FPS so I would not have much confidence at launch that it can handle the significantly larger scale and player base for The Division.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Some interesting stuff in this preview from PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/tom-clancys-the-division-impressions-from-the-pc-build

As a triple monitor arsehole, I'm quite pleased to see a game finally have proper support for this - they used to be supported in 2013 and then in 2014 and '15, it just sorta disappeared from a lot of games.

• Advertisement

Some interesting stuff in this preview from PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/tom-clancys-the-division-impressions-from-the-pc-build

As a triple monitor arsehole, I'm quite pleased to see a game finally have proper support for this - they used to be supported in 2013 and then in 2014 and '15, it just sorta disappeared from a lot of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have it preordered looks okish tho.

Specs
    Minimum Configuration

Supported OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 | AMD FX-6100, or better.
    RAM: 6GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 with 2 GB VRAM (current equivalent NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760) | AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 2 GB VRAM, or better - See supported List*.
    Notebook support: Laptop models of these desktop cards may work as long as they are on-par in terms of performance with at least the minimum configuration. For an up-to-date list of supported hardware, please visit the FAQ for this game on our website: http://support.ubi.com
    DirectX: Version 11
    Hard Drive Space: 40 GB available space.
    Optical Drive: DVD-ROM Dual Layer.
    Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, headset, optional controller.
    Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 256 kbps upstream, or faster.
    Recommended Configuration

Supported OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 | AMD FX-8350, or better.
    RAM: 8GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 | AMD Radeon R9 290, or better - See supported List*
    Notebook support: Laptop models of these desktop cards may work as long as they are on-par in terms of performance with at least the minimum configuration. For an up-to-date list of supported hardware, please visit the FAQ for this game on our website: http://support.ubi.com
    Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, headset, optional controller.
    Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 512 kbps upstream, or faster.
    *Supported NVIDIA cards at time of release: GeForce GTX500 series: GeForce GTX560 (2 GB VRAM) or better • GeForce GTX600 series: GeForce GTX660 or better • GeForce GTX700 series: GeForce GTX760 or better • GeForce GTX900 Titan series: GeForce GTX960 or better
    *Supported AMD cards at time of release: Radeon HD7000 series: Radeon HD7770 (2 GB VRAM) or better • Radeon 200 series: Radeon R7 270 or better • Radeon 300/Fury X series: Radeon R7 370 or better.

Have it preordered looks okish tho.

Specs
    Minimum Configuration

Supported OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 | AMD FX-6100, or better.
    RAM: 6GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 with 2 GB VRAM (current equivalent NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760) | AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 2 GB VRAM, or better - See supported List*.
    Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 256 kbps upstream, or faster.
    Recommended Configuration

Supported OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 | AMD FX-8350, or better.
    RAM: 8GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 | AMD Radeon R9 290, or better - See supported List*
    Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 512 kbps upstream, or faster.
    *Supported NVIDIA cards at time of release: GeForce GTX500 series: GeForce GTX560 (2 GB VRAM) or better • GeForce GTX600 series: GeForce GTX660 or better • GeForce GTX700 series: GeForce GTX760 or better • GeForce GTX900 Titan series: GeForce GTX960 or better
    *Supported AMD cards at time of release: Radeon HD7000 series: Radeon HD7770 (2 GB VRAM) or better • Radeon 200 series: Radeon R7 270 or better • Radeon 300/Fury X series: Radeon R7 370 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Maguined wrote: »
    Too many downgrades for it to be a pre-order or on release purchase for myself. My biggest concern is Ubisoft support. My current game that I am playing regularly is Rainbow Six Siege which had a terrible launch and even now after two patches it still has it's serious issues which Ubisoft are taking their time to fix. These were issues highlighted in the closed and open Beta's yet were still included at launch. Ubisoft servers could not handle the player load at launch and are still not very stable and that is for only a small map 5v5 FPS so I would not have much confidence at launch that it can handle the significantly larger scale and player base for The Division.

I agree they have a lot to live up to, the down grade for console had to happen, that's just a fact i'd say the original video needed a pretty strong pc to play it on no way in hell thats a console unless of course its a cinematic/animation... which it could possibly.

I'm confident in the pc's graphical fidelity to a degree. judging bye the flat looking environment on the Xbox one. of all consoles to show the world a game on.. I think pc will be a different kettle of fish, tho I am going to get my self a ig bowl of popcorn and read redit after the beta :pac::D

Just to let everyone know, you can start pre-loading The Division on uPlay. Mine is currently downloading and the total size is 26.2gb.

375955.JPG

I eagerly await Monday afternoon when I'm back in civilisation (I'm headed to Cork for Warpcon this weekend) and I can read how it all went.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Steam preload is up too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm actually quite looking forward to this. Not sure i'll bother with the beta, but will definitely give it a go.

Spear wrote: »
    Steam preload is up too.

Curious is this like other uplay games in steam where it just acts like a uplay launcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I agree they have a lot to live up to, the down grade for console had to happen, that's just a fact i'd say the original video needed a pretty strong pc to play it on no way in hell thats a console unless of course its a cinematic/animation... which it could possibly.

I'm confident in the pc's graphical fidelity to a degree. judging bye the flat looking environment on the Xbox one. of all consoles to show the world a game on.. I think pc will be a different kettle of fish, tho I am going to get my self a ig bowl of popcorn and read redit after the beta :pac::D

The PC will have better graphics but I still doubt it will live up to the trailers. It is pretty much just a staple of Ubisoft now that the game will never look as good as the initial trailers. They have the capacity but they always rush to release games on time rather than giving it the extra polish they need.

If Siege on pc still nowhere near looks as good as the original trailers I just cannot see The Division living up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

So I have a beta key for this but cant remember my uplay password. They are not sending me out the reset email and I cant ask a question on the support page without logging in... asked on twitter but I wont hold my breath.

Can give it to me, the one I got didnt work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Apparently if you've registered your nVidia GPU then nVidia should give you a beta key for this. Not sure on the details how (probably automatically by e-mail if you've registered)

Does anybody know what time exactly does the beta start for PC?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's tomorrow on the pc isn't it? Thought it was today on the XOne.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Does anybody know what time exactly does the beta start for PC?

For PC and PS4 it starts at 7am EST so 12 noon for us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

beta key give away

looks like it is getting hammered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Sorted my Uplay account taking ages to try redeem the key though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kevovek wrote: »
    Sorted my Uplay account taking ages to try redeem the key though

Ubisofts backend infrastructure can, in the most polite words possible, only be described as amateur.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Curious is this like other uplay games in steam where it just acts like a uplay launcher?

Kinda. It still calls Uplay, and needs a Uplay activation code, though the download and installation is still done within Steam.

Advertisement