Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free wok @ Super Valu - buy 3 Uncle Bens products

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also in Dunnes nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭luapeffaat

Sorry for bringing up old thread but was just wondering if anyones seen this offer still available in south/west dublin area.

Available in the Spar by Slatterys Pub in Beggars Bush. Had a tonne of them left yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Picked one up in dunnes in the square today thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 4oyo

This offer has returned, buy any 3 Uncle Bens products at SuperValu and get a fee Wok. There was loads of them stacked up earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    On the packaging it says they can't be used on induction hobs.

but 99% of electric cookers have induction hobs:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

fryup wrote: »
    An induction hob is different to an electric hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I for one am happy this offer is out again. Got one last time and have used it a lot. But the coating is finally starting to come off so it's time to invest in some more jars. I don't like them but my dad loves them so win win :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fryup wrote: »

No they don't - induction is still fairly rare. Ceramic is probably dominant on new cookers and bog standard rings on older

If you've an induction hob you can afford a suitable wok!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

FanadMan wrote: »
    I for one am happy this offer is out again. Got one last time and have used it a lot. But the coating is finally starting to come off so it's time to invest in some more jars. I don't like them but my dad loves them so win win :)

I have had two of these over the last year one from S.VALUE and one Dunnes.
    Coating comes off after a few uses i would be concerned now by this flaking off and consuming the coating.
    For that reason alone i will for one give it a miss.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Do not buy this wok. It's crap.

Always invest in a good quality wok if you like stir fries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Do not buy this wok. It's crap.

Always invest in a good quality wok if you like stir fries.

I find the woks in the Chinese cash and carry's to be great, they're the traditional style sold with no coating on them, like you would see being used by street food vendors in SE Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I got mine almost a year ago and it's only in the last few weeks that it started peeling. For the price of three jars of sauce that were used and enjoyed, I'd consider the wok really good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Limited life wok. You get what you pay for in terms of quality and in this case it doesn't last too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

testicles wrote: »

Free but badly made and unhealthy (unless your body thrives on eating metal coating)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Free but badly made and unhealthy (unless your body thrives on eating metal coating)

If it starts peeling, it goes to the bin :confused::confused:

By the way (for those who got it) (for free) don't use it in the highest heat setting to extend the life of the coating.

Edit: got it as well from Rathborne, but the cheapest items were between 2.50-3.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Its buy one uncle bens product in my local SuperValu, don't know if its nation wide, maybe there trying to get rid of stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

testicles wrote: »
    My definition is pretty simple -if you have to pay money to get something then it's not free.

I said before this wok is OK for light cooking, like eggs, but most stuff traditionally cooked in a wok is meant to be done at very high temp. Even a top brand wok with a traditional non-stick coating would be unsuitable. Most non stick coatings like teflon are simply inherently bad at high temps.

Advertisement