Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free wok @ Super Valu - buy 3 Uncle Bens products

Options
  • 20-01-2016 10:15pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

I saw this promotion in Super Valu Sundrive Road tonight. Buy 3 Uncle Bens products get a free wok. I bought 3 x microwave rice and got a wok which I've needed for a while.

Not bad for free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mark..

Cheers! Picked one up there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ah, my current free Uncle Ben's wok has seen better days. Might be time to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I could do with a wok! Anyone know if they're OK to use on an induction hob?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I could do with a wok! Anyone know if they're OK to use on an induction hob?

On the packaging it says they can't be used on induction hobs. And they also can't go in the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Would love to get this but there's no Super Valu anywhere near me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

FanadMan wrote: »
    Would love to get this but there's no Super Valu anywhere near me :(

I won't be home to Fanad for a month... Otherwise I'd pick u up one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    On the packaging it says they can't be used on induction hobs. And they also can't go in the dishwasher.

I've been putting mine in the dishwasher for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭garyskeepers

was this just for yesterday or are they still available today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

FanadMan wrote:
    Would love to get this but there's no Super Valu anywhere near me

Eurospar are also doing this offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Whats the min outlay on average to get one?

Usually get the aldi/Lidl micro rice for about 99c a bag, no idea of the price of uncle Benjamin's.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I bought 3 x microwaveable rice @ 1.50 each. I think that's the cheapest product they had on the stands, the rest were jars of sauces etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Cheers for the info!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

These are hideous crap, pressed steel, unstable on the hob etc. However, mine's still not broken... Got given it free by an independent shop I use a lot when buying something else entirely unrelated though.

Great marketing idea - most people will probably buy 3x sauces or similar for more than the 1.50; and then a decent % will probably decide to try something more complicated and buy the jar for it just because they have the wok now and need to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,965 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got one of these many years ago and it's not bad at all for a for a free wok :)

For anyone doing some serious cooking, you might want to invest in a better one. Do a bit of reading up as there are many different views out there. Mine is a very heavy cast iron one and I'm happy with it. One drawback is that you need to have it on the highest flame for quite some time before it is hot enough to start using it

And for anyone using an induction hob inquiring about using a wok - best kill yourself right now before the culinary police will haunt you down and stone you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64,965 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got one of these many years ago and it's not bad at all for a for a free wok :)

For anyone doing some serious cooking, you might want to invest in a better one. Do a bit of reading up as there are many different views out there. Mine is a very heavy cast iron one and I'm happy with it. One drawback is that you need to have it on the highest flame for quite some time before it is hot enough to start using it

And for anyone using an induction hob inquiring about using a wok - best kill yourself right now before the culinary police will haunt you down and stone you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrAviation

No fwoking way
    Going to pick one up myself today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Wok a great offer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

these are usually ****, wok away.

cplwhisper wrote: »
    I won't be home to Fanad for a month... Otherwise I'd pick u up one

Thanks cpl - got one yesterday in Whoriskeys in Ramelton. Just about to try it out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

s8n wrote: »
    Wok a great offer
    Got one Saturday with 2 quick rice packets. It's a 3 yo yos wok If I get a year out of it it will have paid for itself.

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Got one Saturday with 2 quick rice packets. It's a 3 yo yos wok If I get a year out of it it will have paid for itself.

Was just thinking, when I got mine the cashier only charged me for 2 jars of sauce so I really got a good deal :)

Tried it today - as the label said to use a low to medium flame I did. Took no time to heat up to useable temp so guess it's not going to last a long time. Don't really care - it cost me less than €5 :pac:

And as a report of how it worked - heated quick and nothing stuck so well happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Saw these in my local dunes yesterday while doing my weekly shopping the 3 uncle Ben's products would be included in the €10 off a €50 shop so potentially a 20% saving

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Saw them but very light. Didn't bother as they were such poor quality. Better to pay the price and get a decent one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

maringo wrote: »
    Saw them but very light. Didn't bother as they were such poor quality. Better to pay the price and get a decent one. :(

I'm sure if you went to the various pound shops you could pay 3 or 4 euro for the same product (minus the uncle bens logo)

Would that make you happier?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm sure if you went to the various pound shops you could pay 3 or 4 euro for the same product (minus the uncle bens logo)

Would that make you happier?

I doubt he would be happy with the same one. Decent ones can be got in some Asian supermarkets.

I have had 2 or 3 uncle bens free woks. They are pretty bad as woks, which are supposed to be using very high temps, so I would be dubious about any wok with a nonstick coating.

They are however great for use as a low temp frying pan, as the high & wide walls prevents splashing. So good for fried eggs or doing toasted/fried sandwiches where you are not using high temps.

I use one of the old ones to hold damp absorbing crystals (dehumidifying crystals). You can recharge them repeatedly by boiling off the moisture and the wide area of the wok is good for both boiling off and reabsorbing moisture in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Used mine a few times . its grand.
    Used to be the man ensuring these reached the shops many years ago.... An absolute nightmare !

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

rubadub wrote: »
    I doubt he would be happy with the same one. Decent ones can be got in some Asian supermarkets.

I have had 2 or 3 uncle bens free woks. They are pretty bad as woks, which are supposed to be using very high temps, so I would be dubious about any wok with a nonstick coating.

Are these any good for thwowing at wabbits???:D:D:D (Couldn't wesist!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Sorry for bringing up old thread but was just wondering if anyones seen this offer still available in south/west dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Juxtapose

They were still available in Knocklyon Super Valu as of last Thursday.

Will be up there tomorrow and can check if its handy for you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Juxtapose wrote: »
    They were still available in Knocklyon Super Valu as of last Thursday.

Will be up there tomorrow and can check if its handy for you :confused:

Thatd be great thanks,were they obvious to find?

Advertisement