Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a Commercial Vehicle for "Social/Domestic" only

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Add roughly 50% to what u paid in 2015 to get your premium.
    Massive increase in theft-attempted theft claims is distorting the rates.

Insurance companies having to pay out claim to other innocent party's because the fake SD&P driver was actually doing 'deliveries on the Quiet' or using van as 'minibus to shuttle workers to multiple sites...(we all know them and they think it's fine to do)
    . Until try whittle off the fake SD&P the rate look to increase yearly now. Sorry for Wee rant

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Add roughly 50% to what u paid in 2015 to get your premium.
    Massive increase in theft-attempted theft claims is distorting the rates.

Insurance companies having to pay out claim to other innocent party's because the fake SD&P driver was actually doing 'deliveries on the Quiet' or using van as 'minibus to shuttle workers to multiple sites...(we all know them and they think it's fine to do)
    . Until try whittle off the fake SD&P the rate look to increase yearly now. Sorry for Wee rant

aha - so that's why i can't get a quote! - cos i'm an actual SD&P user! only use the van for windsurfing/surfing on the weekends. the real prob for me now is that I need to put in a row of seats in the back cos the family is expanding... but i won't be able to insure the van if i do... :(

nhur wrote: »
    aha - so that's why i can't get a quote! - cos i'm an actual SD&P user! only use the van for windsurfing/surfing on the weekends. the real prob for me now is that I need to put in a row of seats in the back cos the family is expanding... but i won't be able to insure the van if i do... :(

Pre-installed back seats(crew cab) vehicles are OK but coverted vehicles are messy as not all done compliment to makers specification.. Explain the case direct to staff in a branch opposed to Internet list and they might be able on case-on-case basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Pre-installed back seats(crew cab) vehicles are OK but coverted vehicles are messy as not all done compliment to makers specification.. Explain the case direct to staff in a branch opposed to Internet list and they might be able on case-on-case basis...
    i talked to many people on the phone about it but no joy :( brokers or otherwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kig wrote: »
    My insurance on my commercial pick-up has doubled from €495 to €889, what's the story?

That's the norm for this years premiums. My commercial policy went from €452 to €761. Couldn't get a cheaper quote and some came in at €1500!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

I've also heard of problems taxing them. Tax office is now asking for a list of pps numbers of employees to show that you have a need for a crewcab. So whilst it might be ok whilst the vehicle is taxed retaxing it might be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

screamer wrote: »
    I've also heard of problems taxing them. Tax office is now asking for a list of pps numbers of employees to show that you have a need for a crewcab. So whilst it might be ok whilst the vehicle is taxed retaxing it might be a nightmare.

Haven't come across that issue in Dublin (yet). I only put 6 months on it in January so I'll update in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

My thoughts are that there is just not enough competition in the market, why else can I not get any decent alternative quotes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I can't get any quotes.
    I have purchased a Transit Connect van and I tried to insure it the honest way.
    I.e. I truthfully state that I work in an office and I want to insure a van for domestic use.
    Answer N. O. NOT possible. No way, no how. I have rang FBD, AXA, tried brokers, insure my van and quotevaninsurance.ie
    I don't even have the recourse of getting three letters of refusal.
    That means as it stands a private individual CANNOT insure a van for domestic use in Ireland.
    So I will have to say I sometimes work for (company I once worked for) and that I am in the field an require a van for that. Or I set myself up as a company. Otherwise there is absolutely no way I can isure my van.
    I tried my existing company (nononsense), all I wanted to do was transfer my insurance, not a chance.
    I know surfer dudes with hi-aces, neighbour drives a hilux, GF drives a Landcruiser, all commercially taxed and privately insured, how the HELL are they doing it? The ALL would have to at least tell some fibs to get insured!
    I can't see me getting insurance on a Connect through 100% honest means and you know what? I WILL get insurance through any means necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OK, outright lie number one didn't work.
    I can't carry goods (so all delivery companies and couriers can't get insurance), it will only work if I carry tools.
    So outright lie #2 will be I carry tools to carry out repairs on customer's sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Insure it to carry your own goods/tools etc.

Sign the declaration and grit your teeth.

Not only does it pay to be dishonest, you literally have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

What's bizarre about this situation is that commercial policies on light goods vehicles include social, domestic and pleasure use..

I can't get any quotes.
    I have purchased a Transit Connect van and I tried to insure it the honest way.
    I.e. I truthfully state that I work in an office and I want to insure a van for domestic use.
    Answer N. O. NOT possible. No way, no how. I have rang FBD, AXA, tried brokers, insure my van and quotevaninsurance.ie
    I don't even have the recourse of getting three letters of refusal.
    That means as it stands a private individual CANNOT insure a van for domestic use in Ireland.
    So I will have to say I sometimes work for (company I once worked for) and that I am in the field an require a van for that. Or I set myself up as a company. Otherwise there is absolutely no way I can isure my van.
    I tried my existing company (nononsense), all I wanted to do was transfer my insurance, not a chance.
    I know surfer dudes with hi-aces, neighbour drives a hilux, GF drives a Landcruiser, all commercially taxed and privately insured, how the HELL are they doing it? The ALL would have to at least tell some fibs to get insured!
    I can't see me getting insurance on a Connect through 100% honest means and you know what? I WILL get insurance through any means necessary.

Send me pm

nhur wrote: »
    i talked to many people on the phone about it but no joy :( brokers or otherwise.

Nhur - send me Pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

so, is it possible to have a VW Transporter or similar with windows and second row of seats, for use as a family van? or are all those GAA mothers bringing piles of kids/hurleys/jerseys to the nations' gah pitches an illusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have you tried the likes of KennCo, Geffion or ARB?

Advertisement