Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never say never

Options
  • 16-01-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

I have truly crossed over to the dark side, as I said many a time, I would never run over 10km, I would never post on boards and I definitely would never start a training log !!! Hence the name of my log never say never, cause here I am now ….. a graduate from the DCM mentored novices thread on boards !, about to start my own log on boards ! :D

Running History

Only started running a few years ago but nothing serious a few 5km fun runs and then progressed onto 10km distance. But training was not consistent and only prepared for races a few weeks beforehand. So what changed ? I started running at my local Park run back in October 2013, I started to meet people who were at all different levels of running, there was a great sense of community there I started to enjoy the social side of running and along with it enjoyed seeing my times gradually improve as my running became more consistent. 2014 saw me start off the year with a new year’s resolution to try and run a 10 mile but ended up finishing off the year having run 4 half marathons and a 10 mile !!. I was hooked, loved the feeling of crossing the line and achieving the running targets! But still said I would never run a marathon. After supporting Mr Mc (FBOT) at the marathon in Berlin and his pacing duties at the Dublin marathon and supporting all my park run buddies on their Dublin marathon experiences, I got caught up in the atmosphere and suddenly found myself asking what would be involved in training for a marathon. So that was it, mid life crisis must have hit as 2015 saw me prepare for and complete my very first marathon under the watchful eye of the amazing Dubgal and her team of mentors. It was an amazing experience but one of the toughest things I have ever done but I was so chuffed with myself crossing that line that I would never say I'd never do one again :P …. (race report is here) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97520412&postcount=7638
    Marathon training also helped me achieve pb’s in nearly all distances except for the 10km distance in 2015 (that's one for 2016 definately)

So why start a training log. Advice from a number of boardies to help with getting some focus on 2016, I also just need to get the running mojo back after the marathon, get me focused on some target times and to use it as a way of keeping the training going.

I am currently following the training plan on the graduate’s thread, have taken back up my pilates class which I did during the marathon training. So I had a look at Mc Millan which I had never used before to set some targets and to understand my training paces all the various types of sessions on our plan. First impressions are that it seems very ambitious targets so will see how it goes over the coming months as I am still a bit of a novice on paces and targets. I have so far signed up for the Raheny 5 in January and the Ballycotton 10 mile in March. :eek: So that’s it.

Pb’s and targets are below

Distance | 2014 | 2015 | Targets
    5k |00.26.24|00.25.48|00.24.49
    5 mile|00.46.59|00.44.01|00.42.47
    10 km|00.56.51|00.57.49|00.53.35
    10 mile|01.39.07|01.34.41|01.29.33
    HM|02.12.30|02.07.04|01.59.59
    Marathon|N/A|04.31.24|not yet decided

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Yessssssssss!!! We've got you! Delighted to see this missus, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Some very similar targets to what I set myself last year so will really enjoy following your training and progress. The consistency and variety of sessions on the graduate thread will be great. Good luck with the log and getting stuck into it all over the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Welcome aboard!! Will be following with interest, as Laura said, some of your targets were my targets too last year, some I'll be aiming for allong side you this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Thanks all roll on 2016 targets so !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Excellent. Best of luck with those goals, you definitely have what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Woooo hooooo!!!! At last you cracked :D definitely following this log and looking forward to seeing you smash those targets! I'll be cheering you in Ballycotton and trying to keep up in Raheny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done A, no doubt all targets will be hit and surpassed. Impressed with your intro, should have ask you to ghost write mine (:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Ah good stuff Mrs Mc, best of luck with it all!!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done A, no doubt all targets will be hit and surpassed. (:

Here's hoping G :)

• Advertisement

Okay so here it goes first log of my progress in the week.

Wed 13th Jan 5 miles easy avg pace 10.11
    Decided to head out with KennyG and Mrs KennyG for this one and did the Raheny 5 course. It was freezing and it took nearly half an hour for my hands to thaw during this run. But it was a lovely night nice and crisp and clear. Pace felt good and G kept the pace steady. The chatter made the miles fly by and really enjoyed this run. First time since DCM the achilles and calves were feeling okay and first time I have felt like I am back in the zone at last. Spent 20 mins stretching when I came home - New Years resolution :)

Thursday 14th Jan back to pilates tonight, did pilates all through marathon training and really enjoyed it. So decided to try a new class near home and must say finding it very good. Lots of work on stomach and upper body.

Friday 15th
    Graduates plan had 10 min w/u, 5 * 4 mins @10km pace with 3 mins recovery, 10 mins cooldown. Okay so it was time to key the times into Mc Millan and work out my times and training paces and enlist the help of the hubby as was stuggling with working out this ! So 10 km pace was going to be around 8.40, got my lesson on how to set my watch up to calculate this and off I went.
    Interval 1 pace 8.39
    Interval 2 pace 8.44
    Interval 3 pace 8.44
    Interval 4 pace 8.44
    Interval 5 pace 8.50

Saturday 16th Was on volunteer duty this morning in St Anne's Park Run with a record number of 466 participants with the Operation transformation launch and the Lord Mayors 5 alive race also using St Anne's Park Run. Myself,FBOT, KennyG, Mrs KennyG and Toulouse were all on volunteer duties, it was a great day to be there, great atmosphere. Post run coffees a pre-requisite and good to catch up with KillerZ, PJD, MurphD, FerrisB and LauraAC afterwards also. Went out late in the afternoon for an easy 5 miles avg pace was 10.37.

Sunday 17th
    Decided to bow out of the invitation from the Kennys to get up at 8 am and do the fat turkey route up Howth Head, feeling tired after the week back running, and the first full week back at work since Christmas. So after some family things to do during the morning and early afternoon headed out after 4. The graduates plan had a 90 min progression run today, again this is new to me, so out with the training paces that I had calculated earlier in the week. Mc Millan has my MP at 9.36 for a 4.11 marathon based on my recent 5km pb pre Christmas, which I felt was really ambitious after a 4.31 marathon in October so was a bit unsure about this pace. My MP for October was 10.18. Decided I would go out and see how I got on but figured if I kept at 10.20 ish for easy pace, between that and 10.00 for slightly less than MP and then between 10 and 9.36 for the MP. Of course the rain started the minute I went out the door typical. Splits below.

Mile 1 easy 10.37
    Mile 2 easy 10.20
    Mile 3 easy 10.25
    Mile 4 easy 10.32
    Mile 5 < MP 10.06
    Mile 6 < MP 10.08
    Mile 7 < MP 10.15
    Mile 8 MP 9.41
    Mile 9 MP 9.38

Found this very tough between the rain and the wind on the coast and did have to stop to stretch out the calves before mile 8 and 9 as they were starting to get tight. But I enjoyed this and felt good after doing it. Finished off with a cooldown back to the house. Total 9.3 miles Avg pace 10.15

So thats it. Hope everyone elses running went well over the weekend. Now to catch up on my other logs.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congrats on setting up the log and best of luck with the targets! I'm very glad you set a log up as it was a good excuse to re-read your DCM race report, which is one of my favourites - so much excitement :)

Singer wrote: »
    Congrats on setting up the log and best of luck with the targets! I'm very glad you set a log up as it was a good excuse to re-read your DCM race report, which is one of my favourites - so much excitement :)

Ah thanks B I'm a bit of a drama queen what can I say !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done A, great weeks running, plenty more to come.

Good going on those sessions, A! Your marathon time can deffo come down below 4:11!

annapr wrote: »
    Good going on those sessions, A! Your marathon time can deffo come down below 4:11!

Just seems a huge jump ! But sure will keep plodding along A and see how the targets go.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Just seems a huge jump ! But sure will keep plodding along A and see how the targets go.

As the wise ones say.... Trust in the training! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Sure it was only natural that you would have your own piece of ground on boards Mrs Mc. Delighted for you that you chose to do so. The log is a great way of reflecting on what we do and didn't do. Its still your challenge and space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yahoo, there you are.

All the very best.

A great first week.

Mrs Mc wrote: »

Take the big jumps when you can get 'em. They'll be getting smaller soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    Take the big jumps when you can get 'em. They'll be getting smaller soon enough!

And take the first steps...first ;)

All roads lead to Raheny this month all the rest is for some other month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hurray! A new log to read :). Best of luck smashing those targets Mrs Mc. No bother to ya.

denis b wrote: »
    Sure it was only natural that you would have your own piece of ground on boards Mrs Mc. Delighted for you that you chose to do so. The log is a great way of reflecting on what we do and didn't do. Its still your challenge and space.

That's it Denis even if no one reads it I am using it as a means to commit to some kind of training.

Monday 18th Jan
    Have started a new pilates class and really enjoying it. Tonight kettlebells were used as part of the class, was tough and can tell I am going to hurt tomorrow.

Wednesday 20th
    With marathon training and recovery haven't been able to attend much of the Raheny Shamrocks Summer or Winter series and really enjoyed these races in previous years. So it was a 2 miler tonight so decided to head up as a few from Park Run were heading up. Did a 1 mile warm up with Mrs KennyG. There was a great crowd there tonight must be the New Years Resolutions. As expected the legs were feeling a bit heavy after the kettlebells on Monday but by the end of mile 1 was feeling good. Legs felt strong and I stated to try and catch the girl in front of me. Decided to pelt along and try and get a good stride even fired the gloves at FBOT who was out walking the dog and had stopped to give us a supportive shout out. Its serious when the gloves come off, means I'm down to business. Was disappointed not to get a pb tonight as I thought I had a good run, maybe next time. I didn't bother looking at the watch throughout, was concentrating on the form and the pace and trying the catch the girl in front maybe I would have hurried up a bit if I had taken a glance at the watch. Ah well there is always next week. Previous pb 16.36 for this race tonight 16.55 by my watch. Splits are below

Mile 1 8.24
    Mile 2 8.28

Mile cooldown @10.45 afterwards with a welcomed cuppa and slice of cake in the club house afterwards.

Looks like a cat n mouse game there, A. You'll get her next time. Don't worry about the time, it's all about the race. Nice run.

Thursday 21st Jan

Really did not want to go out tonight, just wasn't feeling it, was tired and the last thing I wanted to do was run, but usually thats the best time to run cause you feel great after. :p So decided best thing to do was go straight in from work and get changed and go out, if I sat down at all there would be no run. Graduates plan had 5 miles easy tonight. My easy pace according to Mc Millan should now be between 9.56 and 10.50. My easy pace during marathon training was 11.20 and my MP during the training was 10.18 so this was a big jump on easy pace for me and have been finding it hard to hit. But obviously the last weeks attempting the fasters paces in training runs are paying off as I managed to avg a pace of 10.20 a mile without having to look at the watch too much and felt comfortable at this pace. So something is going right :D. Was a fab evening for a run along the coast, no wind heading towards town (this can always be a bit deceiving when you turn around to run back and while it wasn't a strong breeze the miles back were a little tougher) was a lovely clear night and I really enjoyed this run. Passed Ferris at the wooden bridge going in the other direction and again at the wooden bridge on the way back where we cheerfully greeted each other passing both times (he wasn't wearing his new Cru kit yet must be saving it for the Raheny 5). Pace below.

Mile 1 10.34
    Mile 2 10.13
    Mile 3 10.05
    Mile 4 10.20
    Mile 5 10.29

Rest day tomorrow. :D

Sat 23rd Jan
    Park Run was on the graduates plan today but no pb's were allowed run fast but not all out. Huge crowds in St Annes again this week with Operation Transformation, another record attendance with over 480 in attendance. I was so busy gabbing at the start I forgot to start my watch to get the location set so it was still loading when the run started, hence no 1st mile logged ! Really enjoyed the run this morning, kept an eye on the pace so that I would do a fast run. My official time was 26.23 was happy with that after my pre Christmas PB of 25.48. After run coffees and volunteering duties token sorting the 480 tokens.

Sunday 24th Jan
    90 mins easy on the plan today (easy pace per Mc Millan is 9.56 -10.50) Decided with some of the park run gang that we would run the Raheny 5 course today in preparation for next week. So its about 2 miles up to Raheny from my house so decided to run up and run back do the Raheny 5 course and that should get me my 90 mins. There was 7 of us out this morning bright and early, the company was great and made the miles fly by. Really looking forward to next Sunday, its a nice flat course with the change in route this year. Would be great if the weather is like today next Sunday it was very pleasant. Splits below

Mile 1 10.21
    Mile 2 10.40
    Mile 3 10.18
    Mile 4 10.24
    Mile 5 10.11
    Mile 6 10.39
    Mile 7 10.33
    Mile 8 10.32
    Mile 9 10.28

Sat 23rd Jan
    Park Run was on the graduates plan today but no pb's were allowed run fast but not all out. Huge crowds in St Annes again this week with Operation Transformation, another record attendance with over 480 in attendance. I was so busy gabbing at the start I forgot to start my watch to get the location set so it was still loading when the run started, hence no 1st mile logged ! Really enjoyed the run this morning, kept an eye on the pace so that I would do a fast run. My official time was 26.23 was happy with that after my pre Christmas PB of 25.48. After run coffees and volunteering duties token sorting the 480 tokens.

Sunday 24th Jan
    90 mins easy on the plan today (easy pace per Mc Millan is 9.56 -10.50) Decided with some of the park run gang that we would run the Raheny 5 course today in preparation for next week. So its about 2 miles up to Raheny from my house so decided to run up and run back do the Raheny 5 course and that should get me my 90 mins. There was 7 of us out this morning bright and early, the company was great and made the miles fly by. Really looking forward to next Sunday, its a nice flat course with the change in route this year. Would be great if the weather is like today next Sunday it was very pleasant. Splits below

Mile 1 10.21
    Mile 2 10.40
    Mile 3 10.18
    Mile 4 10.24
    Mile 5 10.11
    Mile 6 10.39
    Mile 7 10.33
    Mile 8 10.32
    Mile 9 10.28

Great to see your progress, A. Any target time in mind for Raheny?

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Great to see your progress, A. Any target time in mind for Raheny?

Well was only discussing this on Saturday where I was saying that the Mc Millan target seemed way out of my reach. Himself pointed out the targets are for the year not to be completed in the month of January ! Good point ! So would be happy to get a pb Anna pb is 44.01 at the mo but have no clue what I should aim for. Still only getting used to the faster paces in training runs so think particularly for the next few months will be getting a better understanding of my paces. I really haven't a clue what I'm capable of. Looking forward to Sunday always enjoy the atmosphere at the Raheny 5. See you there I'm sure. :)

Advertisement