Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an Irish Farmer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

1. Did you ever find anything valuable on your land ?

2. Would you let metal detectorists on to your land if they asked permission (and didn't worry any livestock or waived any rights to sue if they injured themselves etc.)?

• Company Representative Posts: 59 Verified rep I'm a Farmer, AMA

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    1. Did you ever find anything valuable on your land ?

2. Would you let metal detectorists on to your land if they asked permission (and didn't worry any livestock or waived any rights to sue if they injured themselves etc.)?

All we ever find is horse shoes and bits of broken plate, and the odd broken clay pipe.
    I'd prefer not to let detectorists in, isn't it still illegal here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

Sorry if its been asked already, Do you ever get a chance for a holiday away from the farm?

Haven't had a week away in the last few years, last summer we took a day off (midweek) every week during the school holidays. We went to taytopark, cliffs of moher, the beach etc. We used to take a full week off, but haven't done it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Why do farmers always put in gates at the muckiest part of a field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

would there be any advantage to using one field for events (music, astronomy etc etc) ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Formosa wrote: »
    Why do farmers always put in gates at the muckiest part of a field?

It wouldn't be as mucky if the gate wasn't there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

pajero12 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be as mucky if the gate wasn't there ;)

I See

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Years ago a city cousin ran up onto what they thought was a mound of dirt, but was actually a mound of cowsh!t from clearing the cowshed that the summer sun (back when we had proper summers!) had crusted over. Said crust didn't support the child's weight. Oh how we howled with laughter when this once-pristine child emerged covered head to toe in warmed cow dung.

So, what's your funniest farm story?

Rubecula wrote: »
    would there be any advantage to using one field for events (music, astronomy etc etc) ?

There are some people doing festivals on farm land. One big disadvantage from a farmer's perspective is public liability insurance. If anything happens the farmer is liable.
    Neyite wrote: »
    Years ago a city cousin ran up onto what they thought was a mound of dirt, but was actually a mound of cowsh!t from clearing the cowshed that the summer sun (back when we had proper summers!) had crusted over. Said crust didn't support the child's weight. Oh how we howled with laughter when this once-pristine child emerged covered head to toe in warmed cow dung.

So, what's your funniest farm story?

Will get back to you on this.

Sorry folks between gremlins in boards and my dodgy internet, I wasn't able to access this all day.

• Advertisement

Neyite, first one that came to mind was when I was 16 or 17(old enough to know better) we were agitating slurry. The slats had to be lifted manually. The slurry was full to the top, and when the slats were lifted off the slats had left an imprint on the crust, so the 'lines' were still there. Don't know what I was thinking, just stepped off the kerb and in as far as my chest in cold slurry. Luckily there was help there to pull me out, lifting slats is a two man job. Needless to say I haven't done it since.

Following on from this, whenever we are agitating slurry and the slats are up, we take up 5 or 6 which is about 1metre wide. With the slurry still in the tank it's no problem stepping across the gap. But when the tank is empty, even though the gap is still the same width, I find it very daunting stepping across the empty hole. Ironically it's probably a lot safer when the tank is empty!

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

Did you ever have a Glenroe moment in the hay shed with a young one?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What do you think of the current tb testing system in Ireland?

Did you ever have a Glenroe moment in the hay shed with a young one?

Yes, but it's a long, long time ago, I'd say it was well before it happened on Glenroe.;)

whelan2 wrote: »
    What do you think of the current tb testing system in Ireland?

It's an industry, paid for either directly or indirectly, by farmers. I had a herd test done by the dept last year, there was me, a lad working for me for the day, the dept vet, and an assistant, then 2 more dept vets arrived on the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's an industry, paid for either directly or indirectly, by farmers. I had a herd test done by the dept last year, there was me, a lad working for me for the day, the dept vet, and an assistant, then 2 more dept vets arrived on the scene.

They must have heard the biscuits with the tea were lovely..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Obviously you like just the right distance from the DVO offices to warrant a full day away from the desk, and optimum mileage allowance. Is there a good restaurant nearby, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭noel50

the price of farmland is it to much 12k i think will it fall or go up .what size farm do you need now to make a living milk/beef ty noel

They must have heard the biscuits with the tea were lovely..
    I don't feed them anymore, I think they are afraid to come in:o

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Obviously you like just the right distance from the DVO offices to warrant a full day away from the desk, and optimum mileage allowance. Is there a good restaurant nearby, by any chance?

My DVO is a lot closer to you;)

• Advertisement

noel50 wrote: »
    the price of farmland is it to much 12k i think will it fall or go up .what size farm do you need now to make a living milk/beef ty noel

I'm farming just over 120 ac, but I have low costs. I suppose some who know me would say I'm living off depreciating assets. There is a small piece of land making more than that near here. In the current CAP regime I don't think it will fall much, but it's like every market, price is set by supply and demand.

Obviously living expenses are going to be higher with 3 or 4 college age children. A ball park figure used by teagasc is €12k per person in the family is what it costs to live these days.

At these land prices and current margins it takes too long >40 yrs, to pay for an acre, remember it has to be paid for out of income after paying tax. I think we are going to see a lot more leasing and partnerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

If it's raining I wear a wax coat and a beanie hat.
    Is it a black beanie hat with a sort of green 'logo' on it.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Is it a black beanie hat with a sort of green 'logo' on it.

I have about 4 of them, various logos! On a wet day there's one on my head, one in a pocket for later and another one drying out, either on the dashboard with the heater on or else on the stove. Wet days are complicated.

On the subject of logos a local hardware shop was selling them with tractor brands on them, they only had a few left with fendt/new holland/JD on them, but had a massive pile of MF hats left.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

As a farmer, do you think Joan Burton is a cnut?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Howdy,
    What's the next purchase you intend making in the following categories :
    A, Under a tenner.
    B, Over a grand.
    C, Over ten grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

I presume you heard the joke about a small fortune to be made in farming?

As I said above it really is a closed shop, but there are niche markets for eggs/poultry/cheese. I reckon this would be the way to go. Something with added value, selling direct to the consumer, higher margin.

This is a great AMA, Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.
    Would you say that therefore it would be a waste of time for a person that has no background in farming to get an Agriculture Level 5 cert or Degree, because the area is such a closed shop to people with a non farming background?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Thanks for the reply.

Heard on the Farming Show that although dairy farmers under financial hardship at the moment are still more optimistic about their future than their beef/sheep counterparts in NZ. Would you say the same is true at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭billie holiday

Excellent representative for farmers you are.
    I own 250 acres rent another 100. I milk 180 cows have 3 tractors modern milking parlour sheds paddocks water etc etc etc,
    I employ one guy full time and 1 part time and am currently finding it pretty tough going.

I pay myself 55 euro for a 12 hour day.
    How much money do you earn per hour ??

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭billie holiday

Excellent representative for farmers you are.
    I own 250 acres rent another 100. I milk 180 cows have 3 tractors modern milking parlour sheds paddocks water etc etc etc,
    I employ one guy full time and 1 part time and am currently finding it pretty tough going.

I pay myself 55 euro for a 12 hour day.
    How much money do you earn per hour ??

• Advertisement

Howdy,
    What's the next purchase you intend making in the following categories :
    A, Under a tenner.
    B, Over a grand.
    C, Over ten grand.

Great question, I'll have to think about 'C'

A, Because diesel is dropping rapidly, I put a tenner's worth in the jeep about twice a week, does that count? If not, milk and bread at the local centra.

B. Probably a weighing scales.

C. I just about got by the last slurry spreading closed period, so it will probably be more slurry storage and or a shed. I am caught for space and out winter weanlings.

PS do you work for a bank?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement