Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an Irish Farmer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'm not a farmer and its not my ama but I feel I have to answer this one.
    It's a freakin' grape.
    It's a pike.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Is that something that you think about for yourself occasionally? I haven't really thought about getting old, I have a small pension, always thought I'd like to retire somewhere near the sea!
    Good question though, time for me to start thinking seriously about it.

Not yet for myself, I'm 40 and currently live in a small city, but I'm from a farming background, as is my partner, and we'd like a countryside upbringing for our toddler, so its likely we'd settle rurally at some point. I suppose I see the previous generation of my parents age - them, aunts and uncles and other extended family, all getting on, now getting health issues, less mobility, but lots of them live alone now, renting out the farm land, and could go days without seeing someone to say hello to.

But the seaside retirement sounds like a good plan! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

In my job, I'm in the countryside a lot, in and out of farms (I don't work for the Department!)

I don't have a question as such, just wanted to tip my hat in respect to those who farm, and work the land.

This thread has been a great read, thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What do you think of the IFA? Do you think they represent the interests of the average farmer in Ireland?

Do you worry about the environmental impacts of farming, or do you think we can go on forever with today's farming methods?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hello Op.

Why do so many farmers a.not put registration plates on their trailers and b.why do some farmers leave public roads in such a dangerous state after coming out of fields ?

Thanks in advance of replies

• Advertisement

Ps I love Irish beef !!

• Company Representative Posts: 59 Verified rep I'm a Farmer, AMA

Macha wrote: »
    What do you think of the IFA? Do you think they represent the interests of the average farmer in Ireland?

Do you worry about the environmental impacts of farming, or do you think we can go on forever with today's farming methods?
    I'm not a member anymore, even though I used to be chairman of the local branch, I think they represent the average dairy farmer very well. There are a lot of disgruntled farmers in the west, they feel hard done by in the last CAP reform. If you want to know more have a look in the farming and forestry forum, there are pages on the topic.

I think the environmental aspect has cleaned up a lot in the last 20-30 years. REPS was a big help. Fertiliser use has reduced. But I think if there is a massive expansion in dairying (like NZ had when quotas came in here) there could be problems with waste disposal etc. I think farmers are more aware of the issues nowadays than other people give them credit for. When was the last time we had a fish kill caused by agriculture?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hello Op.

Why do so many farmers a.not put registration plates on their trailers and b.why do some farmers leave public roads in such a dangerous state after coming out of fields ?

Thanks in advance of replies
    a) for camouflage,:) but you'll be glad to know there are much stricter rules since the 1st of Jan.
    b) It can be hard to keep them clean alright, some of the contractors that work for me would have a man on a tractor with a roadsweeper attached and they sweep the road after every load in bad conditions. I suppose not everyone does it because it is an additional cost, and they simply get away with it.

A) I read about new rules but aren't there existing rules regarding registration numbers of trailers ? I suppose enforcement is the key

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Hey,

I have question's too and i hope they are alright.

You wrote your favorite cow is 8yrs old now, is it a pet cow?

is there never any kind of emotional bond (especially if you see a calf being born (or even helping with it))? If yes, do you keep them then?

Does the meat stay within Ireland or can you choose where it is being sold too? Which brings me to my next one: are they being slaughtered in Ireland then or in different countries?

Hope its ok to ask, i have no clue about these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Are you being surrounded and encroached by forestry?

• Advertisement

celica00 wrote: »
    Hey,

I have question's too and i hope they are alright.

You wrote your favorite cow is 8yrs old now, is it a pet cow?

is there never any kind of emotional bond (especially if you see a calf being born (or even helping with it))? If yes, do you keep them then?

Does the meat stay within Ireland or can you choose where it is being sold too? Which brings me to my next one: are they being slaughtered in Ireland then or in different countries?

Hope its ok to ask, i have no clue about these things!

No, she's not a pet cow. Presently I keep all the calves that are born here until they go for slaughter, I have sold some to other farmers or in a mart in the past. I don't think I have any real emotional bond anymore. When I was younger I did.

I have no say where the meat goes, but they are all slaughtered in Ireland. Different parts of the animal could go to different countries, eg. prime beef, (the steaks and the hind quarter) could go to Italy and the rest could go to the UK as manufacturing beef (mince).
    Ireland exports 90% of the beef produced here, about half of it goes to the UK. I think Ireland is the largest exporter of beef in the northern hemisphere.
    Merrion wrote: »
    Are you being surrounded and encroached by forestry?

No, but there is some woodland in the local area, mostly on poorer land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

What do you use for mart transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

From a farmers perspective, what is your view on Forestry?

yourpics wrote: »
    What do you use for mart transport?
    Normally a jeep and trailer, same with going to the meat factory. If I had a lot (>10) going at once I'd hire a cattle truck.
    ShagNastii wrote: »
    From a farmers perspective, what is your view on Forestry?

I actually like it. We had the lowest percentage of forestry cover in EU, not sure if we still have the lowest cover or not. It has to be good for carbon sequestration, and to help meet our kyoto targets.
    Properly managed it is really another crop, except that it has a longer life cycle. However one of the problems is that we have a lot of straight sitka, mainly because it grows fast, can be harvested at 40yrs vs hardwoods at 120yrs.
    In scandinavian countries there is a much stronger tradition of managing privately owned woodland. What I mean is a scandinavian farmer could have trees to harvest now that were planted by his grandfather, and he can plant trees for his grand-children. Whereas here not too many trees were planted by our grandfathers, so we are playing catchup by planting sitka. Sorry I'm rambling on a bit:o. Hope it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

What are your thoughts about reintroducing predators that are currently extinct such as some of the birds of prey that have been reintroduced in parts of Ireland? Some ppl have even mentioned potentially reintroducing wolves, although most discussions I have heard along those lines are for Scotland not Ireland.

As a farmer, would you object if there were plans to reintroduce wolves here?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What time do you eat you're dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Have you ever been a victim of cattle rustling or had machinery or tools stole from your yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭naughto

How many pints did u drink last night

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

kneemos wrote: »
    What time do you eat you're dinner?

He answered this already

What are your thoughts about reintroducing predators that are currently extinct such as some of the birds of prey that have been reintroduced in parts of Ireland? Some ppl have even mentioned potentially reintroducing wolves, although most discussions I have heard along those lines are for Scotland not Ireland.

As a farmer, would you object if there were plans to reintroduce wolves here?
    I have no problem with sea eagles/birds of prey being re-introduced. But I would have to question the cost of it vs how successful it is. If ppl (gob****es in my opinion) stopped shooting them it would be a big help. I do know ppl who would like to shoot buzzards because they rear pheasants to shoot themselves.
    Wolves are a different kettle of fish, what are they going to eat? I know they have been re-introduced to parts of the USA, ranchers/farmers ain't too happy about it. But environmentalists are delighted, saying populations of other animals (prey) are being kept in balance etc. I know deer are a problem in some parts of the country, Wicklow-Carlow area, but poachers seem to be doing a good job of keeping the numbers down. To answer your question, yes I would object to wolves being re-introduced to Ireland.
    Have you ever been a victim of cattle rustling or had machinery or tools stole from your yard?

Not tools or cattle, oil yes.
    naughto wrote: »
    How many pints did u drink last night

0, didn't even have a bottle of beer at home this weekend, I need to stay sober for all these questions!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I apologize in advance for sounding clueless, but I'm a Yank and a recent immigrant at that. :)

I notice that here and in the UK, people seem to treat the beef animal as a source for only a very few cuts of beef. My Irish husband, visiting me in Texas, learned to cook brisket and ribs. I was brought up eating bits like beef heart, shin, short ribs, and things I only know the Spanish names of from my neighborhood Mexican butcher. We haven't had any luck getting what we want from our village butcher, even though his family actually raise their own animals. Is it possible to deal directly with a farmer to get the cuts we would like?

Speedwell wrote: »
    I apologize in advance for sounding clueless, but I'm a Yank and a recent immigrant at that. :)

I notice that here and in the UK, people seem to treat the beef animal as a source for only a very few cuts of beef. My Irish husband, visiting me in Texas, learned to cook brisket and ribs. I was brought up eating bits like beef heart, shin, short ribs, and things I only know the Spanish names of from my neighborhood Mexican butcher. We haven't had any luck getting what we want from our village butcher, even though his family actually raise their own animals. Is it possible to deal directly with a farmer to get the cuts we would like?

I would suggest try ordering these cuts from your butcher. A farmer won't have access to these cuts or any other cuts of beef. Perhaps try a different butcher. You say your local butcher rears his own beef, but he may not be slaughtering it himself, he might only have access to the best selling (prime) cuts. Unfortunately a lot of small, independent abattoirs have closed because of hygiene/red tape regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Do you think livestock have gotten a bit more dangerous since the days when people mostly had white heads which from what I remember were a very quiet breed.

I'm only going by what I see when i visit my brothers farm and the cows and cattle he has would run a mile if they see a stranger and if a cow was after calving if anyone only the brother went near her she would nail them to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Do you use any apps or SW to keep track of things and help you around the place in your day-to-day job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I would suggest try ordering these cuts from your butcher. A farmer won't have access to these cuts or any other cuts of beef. Perhaps try a different butcher. You say your local butcher rears his own beef, but he may not be slaughtering it himself, he might only have access to the best selling (prime) cuts. Unfortunately a lot of small, independent abattoirs have closed because of hygiene/red tape regulations.

To expand on this, have you ever considered selling some of your produce directly to the public. I have no figures to back this up but my feeling is that there is a market for direct from farm to consumer produce.

An example being Comeragh lamb and some similar farmers who sell directly and as a consumer you can order meat boxes I believe which contain the meat from half a lamb or a full lamb. Another example is the butcher James Whelan who sells beef bonds which are basically a share of an animal and when the cow matures, they send you your share of the meat.

Obviously, they are a butcher as well as farmers but have you ever considered looking at something like that? As supermarkets etc continue squeezing margins it seems to me that selling directly to consumers could potentially be a significant driver of revenue for farmers.

Basically, would you consider any of the direct to consumer schemes that are outlined in this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2013/feb/19/how-buy-better-meat

Do you think livestock have gotten a bit more dangerous since the days when people mostly had white heads which from what I remember were a very quiet breed.

I'm only going by what I see when i visit my brothers farm and the cows and cattle he has would run a mile if they see a stranger and if a cow was after calving if anyone only the brother went near her she would nail them to the wall.
    Yes have to agree, suckler animals have gotten a lot wilder in the last few years. I think some of it is due to the farmer though, not spending as much time with the cattle as before. Dairy cattle are used to be being handled twice a day, so tend to be quieter.
    Do you use any apps or SW to keep track of things and help you around the place in your day-to-day job?
    I'm registered with agfood (dept of agriculture) for on-line registration of calves and cattle movements etc. I'm also signed up to ICBF. That's it. I don't use too many apps on the phone TBH, none farm related except the calculator and the torch! I looked into herdwatch(?) at the ploughing match but I don't think it's worth it at €100 pa, if it was cheaper I'd look at it again.
    To expand on this, have you ever considered selling some of your produce directly to the public. I have no figures to back this up but my feeling is that there is a market for direct from farm to consumer produce.

An example being Comeragh lamb and some similar farmers who sell directly and as a consumer you can order meat boxes I believe which contain the meat from half a lamb or a full lamb. Another example is the butcher James Whelan who sells beef bonds which are basically a share of an animal and when the cow matures, they send you your share of the meat.

Obviously, they are a butcher as well as farmers but have you ever considered looking at something like that? As supermarkets etc continue squeezing margins it seems to me that selling directly to consumers could potentially be a significant driver of revenue for farmers.

The whole red tape/bureaucracy of doing anything like this in Ireland is a nightmare. I hadn't heard of James Whelan, must look into it.

I know a few ppl that have tried food processing and some ended up being ripped off either by supermarkets or financial backers. Building a brand is hard work and one food scare and you are gone, even though the food scare might have nothing to do with you directly. Having said that there are success stories too.

I have no plans to try anything beyond a producer group, I'd be more interested in marketing what I produce a bit better, like the lamb group you mentioned, than going down the food processing route. Farmer's markets are fine but I don't want to be getting up at 3am to drive to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do you post on the farming and forestry forum on boards?

What do you think yourself?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What do you think of the current situation in IFA?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you post on the farming and forestry forum on boards?
    whelan2 wrote: »
    What do you think of the current situation in IFA?

NIAMH!! HELP, they're trying to out me:eek:

I have already left the IFA, and I have stopped paying the levies. So I won't be voting either.

Seriously though, we do need representation at national and EU level. Looking back over the last 15-20 years the ppl at the top have suited themselves, it's (Irish?) human nature.

Take this example. Why were live imports freely allowed into Ireland after years of quarantine? Possibly because it suited the ppl high up in the IFA at the time.
    I'd rather not get sidelined here on the issue, next we'll have the 'regulars' on here discussing who said/didn't say what at the last meeting. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement