Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2016 Jan 18th - Jan 31st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If Murray wants to win in Sunday he will have to be aggressive, if he plays passively it's going nowhere. He also can't afford to get distracted by any potential antics on the other side of the net like he did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'd regard 2006-2007 as stronger in terms of the field compared to 2015-2016.

Federer has lost a yard of pace, maybe you say. Nadal has fallen back a bit you say. Federer's backhand is better than ever you say.

Exhibit A.

I wasnt really going to reply to Slashermcguirks post as I didnt want to really derail this thread.

However his assertion that
    If anything federers serve and backhand are better now than before.
    is laughable.
    A yard slower ,he is way slower.
    You really think his serve is better now at 34 ,with a bad back ??
    His backhand better ?
    Next you will say his forehand is better too .

Watch this excellent HD footage of the 2005 US Open final between Federer and Agassi .
    It shows the ferocity of Federers serve and forehand at his peak ,and his pace around the court .
    Its also noticeable how much faster the courts are back then and how much flatter both players hit the ball compared to nowadays.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Looking forward to the final later. I'm really hoping that Kerber comes out with a 'nothing to lose' attitude and swings away. Who knows, Serena could get tight with the pressure of matching Steffi's record. I'd love an upset and see Kerber take the title, but it's impossible to bet against Serena. Above all else I just want to see a match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If Murray wants to win in Sunday he will have to be aggressive, if he plays passively it's going nowhere. He also can't afford to get distracted by any potential antics on the other side of the net like he did last year.

I just think their is to much baggage with Murray when it comes to Novak and it will be hard to change that in what is Novak's best surface no matter his initial approach. I think the surfaces he is more likely to concern Novak is grass and clay which he is very underrated on and what is clearly Novak's worst slam.

Lookng at his record last year while Federer beat him a few times, is interesting to see his other losses and struggles which they are not many!:eek:

Stan beat him in the French final and pushed him hardest at the Aussie. Wimbledon was a procession bar Kevin Anderson who should have beaten him, an of course the Karlovic loss.:eek:

All those players are very different to Murray, they hit through Novak and painted the lines regularly and did not engage in lengthy rallies which the likes of Murray and Nadal do as that is their style of game. I genuinely think is the only way he can be beaten these days,a power hitter who hopefully for his sake is in the zone taking him out of his comfort arena like Stan does.

Murray is a fine player, but he just doesn't have the game or power to beat him especially in Slams.

Well well well. We have a match :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Come on Angie!!! Here's hoping she keeps this level up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

1012-come-on.jpg?quality=0.8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Looks to me like his backhand is better, which seems to be universally acknowledged.
    Serve these days seems to be slower, but devastatingly accurate, when he is on top form.
    Forehand certainly not as good as what it used to be.

Very hard to tell from one set of match highlights. Agassi looks like he's sleepwalking compared to Djoko's movement
    His pace is definitely gone, but it is very hard to credit when you see him moving so well for what is an old man in this sport.

Sorry state of affairs that there is no one really pushing on to challenge the top 4, never mind ND. Hopefully Raonic will push on from this.

Good hold Kerber.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jeez, quick, get the paramedics, it looks like Ms Williams has been shot......drama queen.:pac:

C'Mon Kerber, get it done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Come on kerber see this out. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Don't watch a whole lot of women's tennis but Williams is extremely annoying to watch. Undoubtedly an amazing talent but not a likable character on the court. Sadly she's going to win this :mad:

Time to capitalise Kerber, great game.

How fitting would it be for a German to thwart Williams.

Don't choke now kerber.

Well done!!!!!!!

BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Wow - Angelique! That was an amazing match. Her defence was out of this world.

That is how you do it against Serena - wait for her to have an off day and play out of your skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Two great people in the final, was supporting Kerber for a European win. Have been supporting Kerber during this tournament so that was a great result.
    Serena shows what a great champion she is, a great champion is a good loser and she again proved that.

Steffi Graf will be so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That was a special final.

• Advertisement

Great sportsmanship from Serena. I don't like her carry on on the court but her reaction to kerbers win wss nothing but class.

Serena is one of the best sportspeople of all time in any sport. An absolute godlike giant in terms of natural ability and desire. We may never see her like again in tennis when she is gone and I cherish the last couple of years of having her still play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PTAB93

Absolutely delighted for Kerber. Was willing her to win the tournament from the start, should have put a bet on her! ;)

Love Serena too, there is no sports woman like her and I hope she eventually reaches number 25! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

An absolute godlike giant in terms of natural ability and desire. We may never see her like again in tennis when she is gone and I cherish the last couple of years of having her still play.

It's not natural ability.

Incredible desire, and an incredible game. She is indeed godlike in the sport. But it's not natural.

SlickRic wrote: »

Incredible desire, and an incredible game. She is indeed godlike in the sport. But it's not natural.

It's natural to her

But i agree, it's supernatural

Wow, what a win for Angelique. To win your first grand slam at the venue you had previously posted your worst results, by saving match point in the first round and taking out Azarenka and Serena in the process. Incredible.

Was fearing the worst after she failed to serve it out, delighted she managed to hold on. Great result for tennis, complete and utter dominance by one person isn't good for the sport. Serena will still beat Steffi and probably Margaret Court, she just has to wait a little while longer. Happy to see such a classy reaction from Serena too :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

SlickRic wrote: »

*NONE OF THAT KIND OF TALK, THANK YOU*

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

RobertKK wrote: »
    That was a special final.

Best ladies final I've seen, and lovely speeches and genuine warmth between the players afterward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 PTAB93

Do you know who I want to win one more? Venus! I'd love her to take out Serena along the way and win her last slam and retire on a high note! :)

Calling it now, Simona/Radwanska wins FO, Serena wins Wimbledon and Azarenka wins USO! You can all buy me a pint if I'm spot on! :D

Hopefully Murray wins tomorrow, maybe he'll take some inspiration from Angie today and realise that the best can be beaten!

Advertisement