Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2016 Jan 18th - Jan 31st

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Utterly brainless stuff from Garbine. Disappointing. A match with Azarenka could have been all kinds of amazing.

Hoping for a good match here between Vika and Osaka, but I think it'll be a safe and solid win for Azarenka.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Scary scenes in Laver earlier. Nigel Sears collapsed during the Ivanovic-Keys match. Was attended to by paramedics and stretchered out of the arena. According to Jamie Murray (via source on Twitter), Nigel's conscious, sitting up and talking at the hospital. Worrying time for the family but at least he's okay.

Konta's draw opened up a bit with losses for Ana and Karolina Pliskova. I think Jo plays Makarova next.....great chance of winning that imo.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If Konta can get past Makarova I think she'll make the semi's. I also think Gavrilova will make it.

Quite looking forward to Bencic-Sharapova later, think that could be very dangerous for Maria. I wouldn't rule out a Bencic win, but I think and hope Sharapova will pull through in three sets.

Tomic has a few things to say about Federer earlier today as well
    https://twitter.com/FortyDeuceTwits/status/690903472242237440

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Georgia Drummy plays her first match in the juniors tonight against Ayano Shimizu . 2nd on Court 5.

I think she's playing doubles with Shimizu also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I can't understand why the commentators aren't making a bigger deal about Maria Sharapova so far hitting (I think) 18 aces.

Maria's game has been undone so many times by her serve, I think that this merits more discussion then they are giving to it!

I can't understand why the commentators aren't making a bigger deal about Maria Sharapova so far hitting (I think) 18 aces.

Maria's game has been undone so many times by her serve, I think that this merits more discussion then they are giving to it!

Twitter has picked up on it. It is remarkable. Commentators are not always as clued up as they should be.

You'd think she'd be winning more comfortably with 19 aces though.

I absolutely love to see it

I've always longed to see her regain the serve she had before her shoulder surgery, or some semblance of it

After that tricky Giorgi match, it's been all plain sailing for Serena.

So Sharapova next. Who we got for that one? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Djoko just hit his 100th UE against Simon in the 5th set. Simon will probably be kicking himself after this, he was 40-0 up to go 2-2 in the fifth and lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That was a wow performance from Roger Federer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RobertKK wrote: »
    That was a wow performance from Roger Federer.

First two sets were just from a completely different planet. I actually felt sorry for Goffin, as everything he tried came back with interest.

It's been a pretty flat tournament so far imo, hoping for some decent matches this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I should be in bed, but this Kerber/Beck game is a right bruiser, an hour for the first set 8 breaks of serve, an umpire asleep on the job as she wrongly ruled against Kerber in a point.
    Kerber 6-4 the first set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

It's Federer's to lose, if he meets Novak it will be in the semis, which is good for Federer, his mental block against Novak is in finals.

Done deal for Federer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Eurosport are showing it. Anywhere else? I see they are broadcasting one men's SF from 8am on Friday morning. Where is showing the other one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

ballyargus wrote: »
    Eurosport are showing it. Anywhere else? I see they are broadcasting one men's SF from 8am on Friday morning. Where is showing the other one?

I don't think they'll be on at the same time, so Eurosport should show them both.
    Not 100% tho..

Azarenka and Strycova played a fun match last night, although Vika was not to be denied. Disappointed that Wawrinka lost, but it should clear the path to the final for Andy now.

So let's try and entertain the notion for a second, do ye think there's any conceivable circumstance where Maria can actually beat Serena tonight? Not including natural disasters, obviously.

I think the only way it's possible is if Maria serves excellently. I somehow doubt she'll be hitting 21 aces past Serena but if she can maintain a high first serve percentage and keep the double-faults at bay she'd be doing ok. The serve is such an important factor in their matches, Maria's completely disintegrates whenever she plays Serena. The only other way it could happen is if Serena's level drops considerably, but that never happens in their matches, she always brings her best against Maria. I'd love to see it happen, just once.. but I'm sure it'll be a straights sets win for Serena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ballyargus

They always end up having to apologise in writing so I have a record. I love turning the tables on so called uppity people.

They've only scheduled a small window at 8am. 3hrs. That's only one game in my estimation

• Advertisement

Eurosport have the whole tournament live and exclusive, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

ballyargus wrote:

The first semi is on Thursday morning

How many times have we been here with Maria and Serena? I would love to see Maria take a set off her, but you just get that sinking feeling when you see Maria starting to guess where the serve is going and guessing wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love Serena too!

How many times have we been here with Maria and Serena? I would love to see Maria take a set off her, but you just get that sinking feeling when you see Maria starting to guess where the serve is going and guessing wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love Serena too!

This Australian commentator is a bit of a dose

I know I shouldn't rise to it, but I'm getting so irritated by the British commentators wetting them selves over Konta as if they raised her since she was an infant. How ridiculous does it look on her bio - Australian until 2012......Add in "Ex-Slovenian" Bedene, then I see that big "british" lummox from Canada - Rusedski. In a country of 60 million, do they really need to do this? I suppose the treatment we get in this country when anyone dares to do it doesn't help. Nothing to do with Saoirse Ronan, I promise:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭Floppybits

whiterebel wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't rise to it, but I'm getting so irritated by the British commentators wetting them selves over Konta as if they raised her since she was an infant. How ridiculous does it look on her bio - Australian until 2012......Add in "Ex-Slovenian" Bedene, then I see that big "british" lummox from Canada - Rusedski. In a country of 60 million, do they really need to do this? I suppose the treatment we get in this country when anyone dares to do it doesn't help. Nothing to do with Saoirse Ronan, I promise:)

That's just the British, Its like when the keep referring to their own players British Tennis ranking like Britain,s Number 1 Andy Murray like this is some prestigious ranking, they hardly ever refer to him as the World number 2 or what ever his world ranking is which to me is more prestigious than the British rankings.

Speaking of Konta, she has been on some run though. She came out of nowhere really towards the end of last year and has just gone from strength to strength. I don't remember much being said about her last year at Wimbledon or before the US Open. Whatever about her origins she is by far the best British Female. I think she even better than Robson, if Robson ever comes back.

whiterebel wrote: »

I get what you mean, I find it very difficult to think of Konta as British as well.

Disappointing that the Serena match was more of the same, but there you go. Azarenka probably the only one left now who can challenge Serena but will still more than likely lose.

Konta's been in the UK for 10 years, since she was 15. It's not from birth but it's not a case of randomly deciding to switch allegiances.

Robson was born in Australia to Australian parents (According to Wikipedia) didn't move to the UK until she was 6. She was British when she burst onto the scene at 14.

It's all relative.

• Advertisement

Konta's been in the UK for 10 years, since she was 15. It's not from birth but it's not a case of randomly deciding to switch allegiances.

Robson was born in Australia to Australian parents (According to Wikipedia) didn't move to the UK until she was 6. She was British when she burst onto the scene at 14.

It's all relative.

And now Konta has moved to Spain, so next year where will she be from:)???
    Mind you Hungary has a claim on her as well, seeing as the parents are Hungarian.

Advertisement