Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

TigerTim wrote: »
    Anyone see a drone flying over Oakpark in the past few days. Saw if flying from direction of Forge cross down towards town on Sunday afternoon around 4. Again Tuesday morn about 8.30 it passed down fairly fast over the Muing/Derrylea side of the Listowel & headed towards town until I lost sight of it & returned a few mins later on the other side of the Listowel road , more over Oakpark Demesne/ Oakley Park. Wonder was it legit or some scumbag scoping the area?.

T.

How big was it? Small one probably some kid or scob, big one needs to be registered and would have to log flight.

When I say big I mean size of a cereal box or above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

g1983d wrote: »
    How big was it? Small one probably some kid or scob, big one needs to be registered and would have to log flight.

I'd say cereal box size. Blades quite noisy as it moved very quickly. Probably flying at around 100ft off the ground. Was amazed how quickly it was moving & the distance it travelled in what seemed like a few seconds.

T.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

TigerTim wrote: »
    Anyone see a drone flying over Oakpark in the past few days. Saw if flying from direction of Forge cross down towards town on Sunday afternoon around 4. Again Tuesday morn about 8.30 it passed down fairly fast over the Muing/Derrylea side of the Listowel & headed towards town until I lost sight of it & returned a few mins later on the other side of the Listowel road , more over Oakpark Demesne/ Oakley Park. Wonder was it legit or some scumbag scoping the area?.

T.

I live up that end of Oakpark, but I haven't seen anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Darksoul

Speaking of drones I was told that's what dog snatchers were using to scope the back gardens of people's houses,not saying it was them but I believe it's a idea they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

g1983d wrote: »

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-registration

Maybe the iaa can help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Will be passing through tralee later on my way to ballyheighue anyone reccomend somewhere for food and a few pints at around 130

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Will be passing through tralee later on my way to ballyheighue anyone reccomend somewhere for food and a few pints at around 130

Manor West, Rose Hotel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its probably too late now, but the Brogue in Rock street good for food (and a pint). Also The Rose Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Kate Browne’s and Ballyroe Hotel would both be en route to ballyheigue. Good grub at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Clab mor wrote: »
    Kate Browne’s and Ballyroe Hotel would both be en route to ballyheigue. Good grub at both.

Was busing it.had the grand hotel was lovely for lunch. Had dinner there in kirbys in ballyheighue food was ok great service though well run and way different than the kirbys I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

'Our towns need serious investment': Tralee faces serious challenge due to pandemic
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40034339.html

Examiner article on Tralee's impact from COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ongarboy wrote: »
    'Our towns need serious investment': Tralee faces serious challenge due to pandemic
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40034339.html

Examiner article on Tralee's impact from COVID.

I see mention of a taskforce, something that gets put together every few years involving Tralee and Kerry in general. I don't recall hearing what any of them have ever achieved, or when and why they fizzled out.

I remember reading about the taskforce that was set up after the 2008 crash, and the ex Kerry Group CEO, Denis Brosnan, was at the helm. He soon went on to something else, and I think left Jimmy Deenihan running it. I never heard a peep after that, but then again I never expected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Tralee welcomes Global Pharmaceutical Centre of Excellence

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Should put up a few posters around town to welcome this exciting new project :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Festival was supposed to this weekend - weather would have been bad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Traleelad

That’s most have been one of the biggest hoaxes ever

kn wrote: »
    Festival was supposed to this weekend - weather would have been bad for it.

I was thinking that today, the weather wouldn't have been ideal! Seems strange not having the whole buzz of the festival this year.

I noticed that the multi storey carpark next to Lidl on Edward St hasn't reopened. I think I remember it was up for sale but it's been closed for quite a while.

The Birds amusements have decided to pack up early and leave. They were due to be there until the 30th August.

Any time I passed by they looked very quiet. It probably wasn't paying them to be here longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

The weather has been challenging and I suppose Covid-19 doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Considering there was no festival, there were going to be much reduced crowds anyway but COVID was the death knell for it. Some people lambasting the population of Tralee on Facebook for not "supporting " Birds by not attending the funfair. Eh, hello, who wants to go to a venue which potentially would be a hot bed for cross contamination the week before schools start and triple digit new COVID cases for many days these past few weeks? People were just being sensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is it due to Covid that the council have stopped cutting the grass along the flat mile, looks a holy show now all over grown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see mention of a taskforce, something that gets put together every few years involving Tralee and Kerry in general. I don't recall hearing what any of them have ever achieved, or when and why they fizzled out.

I remember reading about the taskforce that was set up after the 2008 crash, and the ex Kerry Group CEO, Denis Brosnan, was at the helm. He soon went on to something else, and I think left Jimmy Deenihan running it. I never heard a peep after that, but then again I never expected to.

You'll see the same old heads on it. Will be on the raido every few weeks telling us all about how much work they've been doing etc only for nothing to come of it in the end

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The Birds amusements have decided to pack up early and leave. They were due to be there until the 30th August.

Any time I passed by they looked very quiet. It probably wasn't paying them to be here longer.

Well done to all the parents and the schools on this. Could have been a complete disaster otherwise!!

Is it due to Covid that the council have stopped cutting the grass along the flat mile, looks a holy show now all over grown

They have been cutting grass, but probably behind on some areas.

I forgot to mention there are resurfacing works in Oakpark since today and also in Boherbee. Stop go systems in place.

Had it not something to do with a different approach in terms of being more environmentally aware???

I thought they were intentionally leaving areas overgrown as a trial.

The grass cutting lads have been re assigned to other jobs.

From Radio Kerry News
    Tralee Municipal District has changed the way it manages parks and open spaces to be more environmentally sensitive.

It’s altered a number of work practices, reducing dependence on herbicides, and have increased the amount of recycling of organic waste.

At the Tralee Municipal District meeting, Cllr Cathal Foley asked that the council explore new, more sensitive methods of grass and weed control, following the success of the MD’s effort to enhance biodiversity during lockdown.

He believes council staff that cut grass could do other jobs instead such as cleaning road verges which he says is being left up to volunteers.

Tralee Municipal District management says they’ve adapted a number of work practises, and have for some time been exploring alternative means of managing parks and open spaces in a more environmentally sensitive manner.

The council has invested in a grass edger machine which has proved very effective in maintaining weeds along walkways in urban areas, park and open spaces, and in doing so has reduced their dependence on herbicides.

When grass is being cut and it’s at a reasonable length, the cut grass isn’t collected and is instead mulched, thus nourishing the soil.

The council is experimenting with maintaining cut grass areas at a marginally longer length so as to retain some low level flowers after cutting, reducing the volume of grass to be removed, while low level pollinators are retained.

After trees are pruned, branches and/or leaves are mulched, and this is used on flower beds on Denny Street and in the Town Park.

Organic methods of weed control are also being implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

ongarboy wrote: »
    Considering there was no festival, there were going to be much reduced crowds anyway but COVID was the death knell for it. Some people lambasting the population of Tralee on Facebook for not "supporting " Birds by not attending the funfair. Eh, hello, who wants to go to a venue which potentially would be a hot bed for cross contamination the week before schools start and triple digit new COVID cases for many days these past few weeks? People were just being sensible!

Passed by yesterday afternoon. It was dead with a few rides closed.

There are so many weeds growing all over the road verges, so I don't think they have been doing that. They have been cutting grass along the roads in most areas though. I noticed it done recently along Dromtacker road and Bill Kinnerk road, but they really need to start pulling up the weeds around the place. I can understand wanting a bit of biodiversity, but not everywhere has the type of wild flowers etc that they are hoping for. It can just look untidy. The volunteer group do a great job, but is not fair on them to have to do it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm pretty sure there's a sign at the start of the fat mile saying it's being left grow for pollinators and biodiversity. There are signs up in various places around with the same.

Advertisement