Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Superhero movie ever ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Allyall wrote: »
    Superman Returns was the most boring that I have ever watched.

Oh don't get me started on Superman Returns...

It was more than just boring. It was hugely flawed, badly cast (aside from Spacey and Routh who would have done a pretty good job in a better movie), made no sense and tried to emulate a style of movie that for the most part, audiences had long since moved past.

And at the very end, when Luthor escapes on his helicopter and ends up on a desert island... what f*cking direction did he fly in? You could see the shore of Metropolis from Kryptonite Island. All he had to do was fly towards it and then follow the coastline (if he didn't want to land in Metropolis). Instead, he ends up on a desert f*cking island? Who is he, Jack Sparrow? Bring me the horizon? He flew out to sea, in a helicopter. This coming from supposedly, a genius. A genius who also thinks he'll make a fortune selling barren rocky land for people to live on.

It was a really bad film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Elektra was actually fine, for those wondering. Not good by any stretch but certainly not as bad as has been made out. It was like Daredevil except a little more small scale and with some mystical elements (which probably did it not favours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Penn wrote: »
    Also, even though Spider-Man 2 was a really great movie, it did feature one of the worst sequences in any superhero film ever:

What the hell is that sh*t? What's with the 3-second pause at the end? Who the f*ck thought any of that was a good idea?!

Personally I think it's a great moment, showing a bit of the goofiness of the Peter Parker character,and a montage of how good life is for him without powers or the responsibilities they entail. The 3 second pause, in my mind it emphasizes how good life is in that moment.

But anyway ... bad superhero movies, well The Punisher starring Dolph Lundgren is an absolutely stinker of a film. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Catwoman with Halle Berry :(

Yep. That would be my worst ever comic book movie of all time. I did not get point of that movie at all.

No offence to Halle Berry though but that movie was ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Heh. I like the fact that this is the most popular thread in the forum so far. Just remember, The Simpsons did it first.

Awful movies are certainly more memorable than their mediocre counterparts but I don't know that they are any better than them (in fact, they're pretty much by definition not). The Batman & Robin movie is a truly awful affair and a huge step down from what went before. I don't agree that Batman Forever belongs in the same category but it was certainly when things began to go truly wrong for that particular branch of the franchise. For me, B & R is the crown prince of awful superhero movies, entirely missing the point about what's good about them.

Wolverine is another god awful flick and incredibly cheap feeling. It almost feels like someone won a competition to direct it.

The X-Men films weren't great, especially the second one, I agree, but I wouldn't put them in the same class. They were more disappointing because of the relentless focus on Wolverine (X-Men 2 may as well have been Wolverine 1) and their failure to live up the strength of the original franchise. But they're pretty solid in many places; performance, effects etc.

I also think that The Amazing Spiderman 2, though disjointed, is being judged by the high standards reached in recent years and really isn't as bad as people make out.
    That's the thing though, people forget that '66 Batman series & movie were comedies. They were intentionally awful/cheesy to the point of being intentionally funny. And when you watch them through that lens, they're absolutely hilarious.

It honestly doesn't matter to me if it was intentional or not, or if they played it straight or for laughs, I don't find the original series funny through any lens. I know people who say they do but I never hear them telling me they've watched or rewatched the show or pick out favourite episodes nor seen them sit down and watch an episode and actually laugh at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

That's the thing though, people forget that '66 Batman series & movie were comedies. They were intentionally awful/cheesy to the point of being intentionally funny. And when you watch them through that lens, they're absolutely hilarious.

I know they are meant to be cheesey, but absolutely hilarious? Really?

At a stretch mildly amusing, but definitely not absolutely hilarious.

syklops wrote: »
    I know they are meant to be cheesey, but absolutely hilarious? Really?

At a stretch mildly amusing, but definitely not absolutely hilarious.

Honestly, that bit from the movie where he's trying to get rid of the bomb had me hoarse for 3 days because I was laughing so hard at it. Okay, maybe as a whole "absolutely hilarious" might be overstating it, but again, when you watch it from the point of view of it being intentionally cheesy, the show had some fantastic dialogue and was acted perfectly.

Just look at some of these quotes:
    Commissioner Gordon: "You know I'm violently opposed to police brutality."

Robin: "Let's go!"
    Batman: "Not you, Robin. They have strict licensing laws in this country. A boy of your age is not allowed in a drinking tavern."

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
    Batman: "Easily."
    Robin: "Easily."
    Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
    Robin: "Thank you."
    Batman: "You're welcome."

Robin: "That's an impossible shot, Batman."
    Batman: "That's a negative attitude, Robin."

Robin: "Where'd you get a live fish, Batman?"
    Batman: "The true crimefighter always carries everything he needs in his utility belt, Robin."

Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
    Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

^^ You made me do it...

Batman: (after coming through Barbara's window): "We would have entered the building by more conventional means, but we didn't want to startle the tenants."

There is loads :D

I don't think Ryan Reynolds fits into any Superhero category (maybe Spiderman when he was 15). I'm not looking forward to deadpool with him in it, I hope I am proven wrong.

I think Green Lantern should definitely be on the list. It could have been good, I can't put my finger on what I disliked about it, but definitely fits into the top 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

So many super-hero films it's unreal. Because I like the comics I've watch the bad ones more than once because of the genre and try to like some aspect of it. Going for a long post as I have no work left to do till I go home :P

Haven't seen yet but generally get bad rep, if anyone has any so bad it's good must see from the list below please argue for
    Catwoman
    Elektra
    60's Batman
    - have seen bits of it (bomb/shark) and probably watched it as a kid
    Watchmen - Have the book, love it but only about 6 or 7 chapters in! Must make time to read it all but everyone says it's a poor movie
    The Spirit
    Dr. Strange
    - Didn't Know this existed until posted above
    Spider-man 70's - (TV movie?)
    Captain America 70's or 80's - (this too?)
    Nick Fury - (David Hasslehoff TV movie)
    Howard the Duck
    The Punisher - (Dolph Lungrum)
    Spawn

Some I haven't seen mentioned yet:
    Masters of the Universe/He-Man (Dolph again) - what is the opinion on this? Cult classic for me and my cousins
    TMNT - Watched original 1 and 2 a few years ago, loved the 1990 one, remember seeing Secret of the Ooze in the cinema and thought it had everything!, looking back it was piss poor. When number 3 was released on video I didn't like it at the time so not even going to try. Didn't see the animated one released about 10 years back but like the recent CGI fest one fro Michael Bay which got a lot of stick.
    Ghost Rider - Think mentioned above actually, but I enjoyed the first two thirds as much as you can enjoy a Nicolas Cage film then just got bored once "the one last ride" part happens. Tried to watch the sequel a few times but just ended up switching off a few times.
    Power Rangers :D Don't think these were meant to be take too seriously so will let off the hook. Only saw the 1st one but there's been a few sequels and I doubt they were any better

Mentioned already:
    The Supermans - to be honest I haven't seen the Christopher Reeves ones in my adult life. Returns was a movie I wanted to like but couldn't really find anything to like. Man of Steel I was just waiting for it to end.
    The Phantom - Saw this with school and don't think anyone liked it, haven't revisited since.
    Batman - Forever was my favourite film ever when I saw it as a 11 year old, and remember watching the VHS over and over again. Batman & Robin, well, Alicia Silverstone was the only thing I liked on initial watch in the cinema and that will be the same scenario if I ever watch again. What a way to kill a franchise.
    Spider-man - I'm a huge Spidey fan and always glad to see him on screen. 3 was utter **** tho, ruined a great character/story in Eddie Brock/Venom/the Symboit Costume (Eric out of That 70's Show ffs!) but just overcrowded and crap story. I think the exact same thing as @Imnotthehulk about Spidey 2 Raindrops... scene. I even liked the reboot of Amazing. Good action, great visuals, not the best plot but it was based on the Ultimate Spider-man so thought it was a good presentation of it, well Electro was crap but even being the main villian it didn't ruin it for me
    Fantastic 4: Really like the first one, hated the Rise of the Silver Surfer, especially the Doom-skrull and that you get to see a second of a shadow that is Galactus but the new one is complete toss. Half a hour in I was thinking that it was getting unfairly slated until it turned to utter ****e and I was on the bandwagon haters too. Even the 1994 one made to keep the rights was more enjoyable.
    Daredevil & Hulk - both have nostalgic vale for me as these were some of the first DVD's I owned and watched them over with all the special features and commentaries so don't class these and terrible
    Green Lantern - Can't remember what happens at all it was that poor
    X-Men: Loved the first one, it was a game changer. Second is very good too. When I sat down to watch The Last Stand I was hyped, first time on screen we're going to see an epic of loads of characters go at it in a good vs evil mega showdown of all our favourite comic book heros. Then you see Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut :( "I'm the Juggernaught bitch!" was one of the best parts of the film :D Wolverine Origins, what the hell?? Trying to take too many aspects of the comics and ****ing up mixing it all together and then The Wolverine? Anyone else bar Hugh Jackman as Logan and the films would have no value at all!

There's probably a few more that I've forgotten about but they are my thoughts if you can be arsed reading all that. Hard to pick a worst, too many candidates!

Super disagree with Power Rangers, which was a top notch family film, imo! Rewatched it last year for the first time as an adult and it was loadsa fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Every Hulk Real Action Movie just doesn't seem to work for me, I can't get into them, with the exception of The Incredible Hulk, which is definitely going in the right direction.

There were only two live action Hulk movies? No?

The first one was quite poor alright.

The two Amazing Spiderman movies were terrible, particularly the second one. They are all the worse still since the trilogy arc never even got a conclusion.

As said already, the Batman movies were fairly unforgivable. Supergirl is another superhero movie best left in the 80s.

Kick Ass 2 was pretty poor too. Instantly forgettable movie... so much so I'm struggling to remember what it was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Bacchus wrote: »

The two Amazing Spiderman movies were terrible, particularly the second one. They are all the worse still since the trilogy arc never even got a conclusion.

As said already, the Batman movies were fairly unforgivable. Supergirl is another superhero movie best left in the 80s.

Kick Ass 2 was pretty poor too. Instantly forgettable movie... so much so I'm struggling to remember what it was all about.

I'm pretty ok not seeing the end of the arc in the amazing spiderman films, since they're so awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Surprised to hear Amazing Spiderman being described as terrible. I really enjoyed them.

Bacchus wrote: »

Yeah, I was originally going to say 'Hulk' was terrible (I don't even think he actually appeared until halfway into the movie). Then was remembering the cheesyish 70's movies and vs. Thor, and was going to say "All the Hulk Movies".
    I then had to dis count some, as I like the animated ones (Planet Hulk was very good imo).
    Finally, I was going to change it again, so as to mean only the Live action ones, and then I thought about 'The Incredible Hulk' and thought that showed hope.

Phew! Hope that makes sense.. :o:D

OSI wrote: »
    Watchmen continues to be one of my favourite movies. Everything about it is awesome. The story, the atmosphere, the sound, the characterisation. Everything is on point.

The problem I have with Watchmen is that it's almost 100% the same as the book. The panels are taken from the page and slavishly recreated perfectly on screen to the point of it just being boring. I was able, on my first viewing, to say a lot of the lines with the characters because I'd already read them in the book. That's when I started hating Zack Snyder; when I saw that he hadn't an ounce of creativity and was making his money by apeing the source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

The problem I have with Watchmen is that it's almost 100% the same as the book. The panels are taken from the page and slavishly recreated perfectly on screen to the point of it just being boring. I was able, on my first viewing, to say a lot of the lines with the characters because I'd already read them in the book. That's when I started hating Zack Snyder; when I saw that he hadn't an ounce of creativity and was making his money by apeing the source material.

As I said in previous post I haven't seen Watchmen yet but Sin City done exactly this too and it is brilliant! I know it's "Frank Millar's Sin City" on the posters and title

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yeah but then watchmen changes a large part of the ending.

OSI wrote: »
    Watchmen continues to be one of my favourite movies. Everything about it is awesome. The story, the atmosphere, the sound, the characterisation. Everything is on point.

I don't think Ryan Reynolds fits into any Superhero category (maybe Spiderman when he was 15). I'm not looking forward to deadpool with him in it, I hope I am proven wrong.

I think Green Lantern should definitely be on the list. It could have been good, I can't put my finger on what I disliked about it, but definitely fits into the top 15.

^^
    Pffft.

Idiot. - I mean, what a moron.

- 2016 Movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

The Amazing Spiderman, it simply didn't need a remake. Toby M's versions were way better than the money grabbing b***s that is upon us now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Elemonator wrote: »
    The Amazing Spiderman, it simply didn't need a remake. Toby M's versions were way better than the money grabbing b***s that is upon us now.

I'm probably in the minority on this but I prefer Garfield's smarmy prick Spiderman to Maguires emo Spiderman any day of the week.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'm probably in the minority on this but I prefer Garfield's smarmy prick Spiderman to Maguires emo Spiderman any day of the week.

For me, Garfield was by far the better Spider-Man, but Maguire's first two films were waaayyyy better than Garfield's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Taking a look through this list and quiet a few of them were bad films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Taking a look through this list and quiet a few of them were bad films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films

I'd say this is probably the worst superhero movie
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Specials_%28film%29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Hearing of these cheesy and forgetful Superhero movies makes me want to watch them haha.

Is the swamp thing movie any good?

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Hearing of these cheesy and forgetful Superhero movies makes me want to watch them haha.

Is the swamp thing movie any good?

Those crappy (Tora?) Movies were good way back when.. I think George Clooney was in some of them. I can't imagine that they aged very well though.

Elemonator wrote: »

I think it's pretty unfair to judge ASM based on the fact that it was a reboot. Judged in its own right, it's a much sturdier film, in terms of casting, acting, visuals and direction. Raimi's Spider-man had some great moments but it had a lot more duds than ASM.
    For me, Garfield was by far the better Spider-Man, but Maguire's first two films were waaayyyy better than Garfield's.

I'd argue ASM was miles better than Spider-man but ASM2 is one of the worst movies ever, while Spider-man 2 was a good film (that probably gets a bit more credit than it should because of how new and fresh it was).

Advertisement