Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Superhero movie ever ?

Options
  • 11-01-2016 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭

So delighted this forum has gotten up and running finally :D

So guys I ask you what's the worst Comic Book movie you've seen

The recent Fantastic Four got an awful panning but I didn't think it was bad as people are making out i think one of the worst ones has to the X-Men 3 from making a total balls out of the phoenix story they meshed it with a rubbish cure storyline......oh and Vinny Jones as the Juggernaut christ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Alienigenis

So delighted this forum has gotten up and running finally :D

So guys I ask you what's the worst Comic Book movie you've seen

The recent Fantastic Four got an awful panning but I didn't think it was bad as people are making out i think one of the worst ones has to the X-Men 3 from making a total balls out of the phoenix story they meshed it with a rubbish cure storyline......oh and Vinny Jones as the Juggernaut christ

Speaking of X-Men, and thus, Marvel… What they did to Deadpool was a cheap move! Definitely glad the new Deadpool movie is coming out.
    The worst movie in my opinion was the recent superman flick… They could have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Green Lantern was pretty forgettable, but despite that, The Amazing Spiderman 2 gets my nomination.

A jumbled mess of a movie, with a plot that seems to have very little direction and felt disjointed, with some incredibly bad villains. Every time I saw Electro, and heard him speak, all I saw was Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze. The less said about Paul Giamatti's take on the Rhino the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Batman and Robin for me. Let's forget everything Tim Burton has built up and revert back to the Adam West model of Batman adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Alienigenis

flazio wrote: »
    Batman and Robin for me. Let's forget everything Tim Burton has built up and revert back to the Adam West model of Batman adventures.

I actually completely forgot about that movie existing… That damn bat credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

The bland, dull ones are the worst for me - pointless versions of the Green Hornet/ Green Lantern, latest Superman/Spider-man.

I don't mind the "so bad its funny" stuff like Superman IV and even Batman and Robin. At least these films have some sort of personality.

I'd rather watch something with a bit of character to it, than a "by the numbers" blockbuster that plays it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Also agree with amazing spiderman 2. What a ****ing mess of a film, more proof of the reasoning to never chase whats trendy in films.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Jeez, had hope when I saw the trailers, but YE GODS that hope was dashed when I sat through the movie..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

flazio wrote: »

People give Batman Forever a pass because of how awful Batman & Robin is, but Batman Forever also sucked a major amount of Bat-Ass.

You have Two-Face, where both of the faces are The Joker and he's just basically just playing The Joker even though he's not The Joker. You have The Riddler, whose only riddle is "How many different variations of the same joke can I fit into this one sentence?". The whole mind-tv thing invention sh*te. Terrible action sequences. Kilmer is passable as Batman, but only just. O'Donnell is just bland. Kidman is sh*te. The general story between Kilmer & Kidman is sh*te.

It's really a toss-up for me between which is worse; Batman Forever or Batman & Robin. At least Batman & Robin seems to know it's a glorified toy commercial and just goes along with it. Batman Forever thinks it's a good film, but is just a load of guano.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have to agree with a comment above, that I'd have far more time for an ostensibly 'bad' superhero film like Batman & Robin, whose utter dreadfulness is on every frame, than the kind of bland drek that has snuck into the box office over the years; the Amazing Spider Man reboot stands out here (just about the only way it does stand out mind you): it was so unabashedly vapid, empty and blatantly an exercise in keeping a copyright active, that to me it barely constituted a film.

Sure, Batman & Robin's aesthetics came about due to a desire to sell merchandise, but at least it committed to its big, brash neon world. Amazing Spider Man just kind of floated about for a while, then disappeared when Marvel came calling and asked for their toys back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Maybe not the worst but I still haven't forgiven them for the first Wolverine movie.

They should've just filmed one of their execs weeing all over a pile of Marvel comics and it would've been about the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Penn wrote: »
    People give Batman Forever a pass because of how awful Batman & Robin is, but Batman Forever also sucked a major amount of Bat-Ass.

Speaking of Bat-Ass, Batman and Robin has Alicia Silverstone. Slicia Silverstone in a skin tight batgirl outfit, so its forgiven many of its crimes against cinema.

I'd agree Batman Forever is equally bad though.

Amazing Spiderman 2 didnt jump out at me for being terrible. Sider-man 3 on the other hand with Emo Peter Parker and "Lets see how many super-villains we can fit into this movie to sell more toys" was abysmal.

As another poster said though, the worst superhero movies are the bland, boring or just instantly forgettable movies. Man of Steel springs to mind. I said to herself we should rent it. She said we did already. I was adamant we hadn't. We rented it. Half way through I realised we had, I had just completely forgotten it. That was 6 months ago. Even now, Im foggy on what happens.

Green Lantern was the same. Bland, and instantly forgettable.

Fantastic four was a farce, as was FF2. The Silver Surfers first visit to the big screen and he is hip deep in that turd of a movie.

X-Men 2 was a bit bland as well, but it has a couple of great scenes which save it. One being the intro with Nightcrawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Gawd some movies here I'd rather had stayed in my recycle bin....

Green Hornet - can't add to the above. Self-indulgent lazy tripe.
    Spider-Man 3 - is he a goth? Is he a dancer? He sure as hell ain't a superhero
    Wolverine - the first superhero movie I had to walk away from, 20 minutes in and I was done.
    Ant-Man - loads of potential, but just didn't do it for me in anyway, felt like I was watching that disney's kids movies on Ants. But not the worst, just disappointing, in the same way as some of the x-men ones were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Taltos wrote: »
    Gawd some movies here I'd rather had stayed in my recycle bin....

Green Hornet - can't add to the above. Self-indulgent lazy tripe.
    Spider-Man 3 - is he a goth? Is he a dancer? He sure as hell ain't a superhero
    Wolverine - the first superhero movie I had to walk away from, 20 minutes in and I was done.
    Ant-Man - loads of potential, but just didn't do it for me in anyway, felt like I was watching that disney's kids movies on Ants. But not the worst, just disappointing, in the same way as some of the x-man ones were.

Judge dredd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance kinda took the biscuit for me. I mean, what was that whole scene where tey just drive down a highway being friends? Eugh...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Anyone ever see that movie Spawn?
    Can't remember much about it, only it was one of the first videos we rented when we got a VCR, and it was absolute shıte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Catwoman with Halle Berry :(

Spawn - I do and I kinda liked it, a bit of a precursor to HellBoy in a way.
    That clown stayed with me for a long long time.

I actually liked Judge Dredd, not a great one - Stallone's version is the one I always think of though.
    After growing up with those comics I had to wonder at his sounding like Rambo...

My OH just called out that to her Spider-Man 3 was a "Glee with super powers.."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I really like all the X-Men movies, but the Wolverine spinoffs have been atrocious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Daredevil was badly received but I liked it. I never saw Electra but I believe that was terrible.

There is an Adam west batman on Netflix that is outstandingly awful. With the infamous shark repellent spray and some making a murderer style detective work. it's worth a watch.

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    My OH just called out that to her Spider-Man 3 was a "Glee with super powers.."

Friend of mine once described it as "Spider-Man meets Hells Kitchen meets Strictly Come Dancing meets the Care Bears"

Also, even though Spider-Man 2 was a really great movie, it did feature one of the worst sequences in any superhero film ever:

What the hell is that sh*t? What's with the 3-second pause at the end? Who the f*ck thought any of that was a good idea?!

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

a lot of sheltered movie watchers judging by the selections so far :pac:

No, Captain America?

or Dr.Strange?

If you can read this, you're too close!

There is an Adam west batman on Netflix that is outstandingly awful. With the infamous shark repellent spray and some making a murderer style detective work. it's worth a watch.

That's the thing though, people forget that '66 Batman series & movie were comedies. They were intentionally awful/cheesy to the point of being intentionally funny. And when you watch them through that lens, they're absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

The more time passes the more I think Toby McGuire was a sh*te choice for Peter Parker.

I know he's supposed to be a nerd but Toby takes that way too far, he's too cutesy. No sweety, you're not spiderman, those are just your new pyjamas.

I want to watch both of those now... Especially Dr Strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dr Strange I enjoyed I have to say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stallone's Dredd certainly had the look of the comics down pretty well; if you could ignore the terrible script, Stallone's face & the presence of Rob Schneider, it looked like Mega City 1 lifted straight from the pages. It was so achingly ... 90s though, and came a few years too soon, before comic adaptation were at least treated with a modicum of respect & faithfulness to the source material.

I've never seen it myself, but Steel has often popped up on manys a 'Worst of' list

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Dr Strange I enjoyed I have to say.
    now I'm gonna have to re-watch it as it's aaaages since I watched it >.<

Curse you, Coulson!! :P:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

racso1975 wrote: »
    Judge dredd

1995 (Stallone) or 2012 (Urban) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The Phantom was something I was looking forward to, at that time. Didn't expect Billy Zane and Catherine Jones.. :(
    Best way to describe it is that it was the opposite of everything I expected.

Never saw Catwoman or Electra, heard they were terrible. I expect them to be.
    Batman & Robin, and Batman Forever as mentioned, were pretty bad.

Every Hulk Real Action Movie just doesn't seem to work for me, I can't get into them, with the exception of The Incredible Hulk, which is definitely going in the right direction.

Superman Returns was the most boring that I have ever watched.

Advertisement