Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwback Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Csalem

it is a trip back twenty-five years this week to 1994. KD 172 is seen at Blackrock Station with a 114. The destination displays are slightly confusing as it is showing Sandyford Industrial Estate as the main destination, and "Via Airport" below it. The "via" routing is definitely wrong, and the main destination is partially accurate but should probably be in the "via" part.
    The 114 was introduced in 1987 as a DART Feeder service and ran from Blackrock to Kilcross via Sandyford Industrial Estate. A number of other Feeder services were introduced over the years such as the 113 and 115, but the 114 is the only one to survive. In 2006 the route was extended to Ticknock Hill. In January 2019 it was transferred to Go-Ahead Ireland as part of it winning the tender to operate some of the orbital/peripheral routes in the city.
    The terminus in Blackrock is also currently home to the 17 and the 46E. The latter is the only Dublin Bus route to operate from here (the 17 also being operated by Go-Ahead Ireland), and only has two departures a day, Monday to Friday.
    KD 172 was delivered new around 1981/82 to Donnybrook Garage and remained there all its life, being withdrawn from service in the latter-half of the 1990s.
    27/08/1994

48643535361_b4009e49ab_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (190) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Seems strange that Via Airport would be on the scrolls of a Donnybrook based bus. Thought the scrolls were generally unique to each depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Csalem wrote: »

I have often wondered what those black back lit signs were for which were retrofitted to many KDs, D/DFs (Van-Hool Leyland Atlanteen's, not the original Ds) and some KCs.

They looked similar to the original internal Stopping signs which started being fitted to busses.

Something tells me (perhaps seeing one up close or reading about them) that they were meant to be "Bus Full" signs, but I'm not sure and never saw one actually in use.

The D/DFs were unusual in that most that were fitted actually had two on the front on each level although some only had one at the lower level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

GM228 wrote: »
    I have often wondered what those black back lit signs were for which were retrofitted to many KDs, D/DFs (Van-Hool Leyland Atlanteen's, not the original Ds) and some KCs.

They looked similar to the original internal Stopping signs which started being fitted to busses.

Something tells me (perhaps seeing one up close or reading about them) that they were meant to be "Bus Full" signs, but I'm not sure and never saw one actually in use.

The D/DFs were unusual in that most that were fitted actually had two on the front on each level although some only had one at the lower level.
    Were they to inform people that the bus was driver only operated. I have a vague memory of such signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bus full and could be switched on dash...

Closest we had on today's was you could put out of service when full with the ticket machine but they took that option off it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They used to say 'exact change' on them too iirc

Bus full and could be switched on dash...

Closest we had on today's was you could put out of service when full with the ticket machine but they took that option off it...

As I suspected, but I never saw them used, why double ones on most D/DFs?

They used to say 'exact change' on them too iirc

Exact change was only introduced in 1999, these signs were fitted in the 1980s and the majority of buses which had them were gone by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Exact change was only introduced in 1999, these signs were fitted in the 1980s.

Yep the exact change machines were introduced in 1999 but DB ran a campaign for years previously to encourage people to have the exact change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

That's interesting about the 51A travelling up Gracepark Road. Did it turn left onto Richmond Road from Ballybough then right at Drumcondra FC? Maybe they could get something running there again. The entire stretch from Summerhill northwards is very poorly served with just the 123 and "unicorn" 53's and there's been (and will be) a lot of development around there. The Dorset St and North Strand corridors are probably over-serviced too so a re-routing could work...

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    That's interesting about the 51A travelling up Gracepark Road. Did it turn left onto Richmond Road from Ballybough then right at Drumcondra FC? Maybe they could get something running there again. The entire stretch from Summerhill northwards is very poorly served with just the 123 and "unicorn" 53's and there's been (and will be) a lot of development around there. The Dorset St and North Strand corridors are probably over-serviced too so a re-routing could work...

The routing I remember was it came up Clonliffe Road onto Drumcondra Road. Then turned in Griffith Avenue and then Grace Park Road. That was when I took a spin on it towards the end of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As I suspected, but I never saw them used, why double ones on most D/DFs?

I remember as my dad drove them and I remember messing with all the switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭supersaint3

Am going a day early this week due to scheduling conflicts.

It is 1986 and D 653 is seen on one of the shorter bus routes in Dublin. Route 53 connects Dublin Port with the City Centre via the residential area of East Wall. In the past it was a busier route, used by the dock workers in Dublin Port. There was a 53A too which took a more direct route and avoided East Wall. Over time the routes became less popular. Part of this decline can be attributed to the frequent route 151 (started in 2007) which has a terminus on East Road and the Luas tram line to the Point Depot (started in 2009). Under Network Direct the 53A was abolished and the 53 was extended to the Irish Ferries terminal. For a while Dublin Bus also ran a 53B from Heuston Station to this ferry terminal but this was a commercial contract which terminated in 2017.
    D 653 was delivered new to Dublin in 1975 and withdrawn in 1994. It is seen on East Road as it climbs over one of the railway yards for the port. In 2019 this is the only remaining yard operated by Irish Rail in the port, the rest having been sold for development. 13/05/1986

40888456033_1ace26d337_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (175) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

That Fuego behind it must have been super rare on these shores!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Yep the exact change machines were introduced in 1999 but DB ran a campaign for years previously to encourage people to have the exact change.

The autofare boxes came in in January 1996 on a selection of troublesome routes. Think they were made standard throughout the whole network in October 1997.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Were they to inform people that the bus was driver only operated. I have a vague memory of such signs.

That was their original use as I recall it. Bus Full was added later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

john boye wrote: »
    The autofare boxes came in in January 1996 on a selection of troublesome routes. Think they were made standard throughout the whole network in October 1997.

I think the 67 stayed cash - well, actually two man operated even after then? Buses had the drop boxes fitted but unused if I remember right

Made standard to the entire network in July 1999.

L1011 wrote: »
    I think the 67 stayed cash - well, actually two man operated even after then? Buses had the drop boxes fitted but unused if I remember right

I thought one man operation was fully implemented by the early 1990s, with Donnybrook providing some of the last routes.

I remember the out of use boxes, they had a black cover placed over them stating such, they had them like that on the fleet for a very long time before full implementation.

Made standard to the entire network in July 1999.

Didn't realise it was that late, wow. I do remember a large trench of routes was converted in October 1997 and assumed that the whole network must have been done then.

I thought one man operation was fully implemented by the early 1990s, with Donnybrook providing some of the last routes.

I remember the out of use boxes, they had a black cover placed over them stating such, they had them like that on the fleet for a very long time before full implementation.

2-man ops hobbled on for years on a few routes. The 14s/15s/20s/48A are the first ones I can think of off the top of my head. It even survived into the 2000s on the 20B and possibly the 15s. Phibsboro invented a route in the mid-90s to give their last conductor something to do after the 22 changed to imps!

2-man ops hobbled on for years on a few routes. The 14s/15s/20s/48A are the first ones I can think of off the top of my head. It even survived into the 2000s on the 20B and possibly the 15s. Phibsboro invented a route in the mid-90s to give their last conductor something to do after the 22 changed to imps!

The 22B was the Phibsoro route created to keep the conductor busy:
    31774896276_0ddd40c3df_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (51) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

The 22B was the Phibsoro route created to keep the conductor busy:
    31774896276_0ddd40c3df_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (51) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

And it usually didn't run on the conductor's days off!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't remember when the 67 lost its last conductors, the early 2000 capture of the DB timetables has it down as Autofare.

From John's list there; at that point the 14/20B/48A are down as Autofare, but the 15/B/C (not A) are not.

I was hoping to find an earlier capture with the "OMO" or similar marking for non-conductor buses but early 2000 is the first there.#
    edit: "OPO" not "OMO" is coming to mind now.

I can't remember when the 67 lost its last conductors, the early 2000 capture of the DB timetables has it down as Autofare.

From John's list there; at that point the 14/20B/48A are down as Autofare, but the 15/B/C (not A) are not.

I was hoping to find an earlier capture with the "OMO" or similar marking for non-conductor buses but early 2000 is the first there.#

I recall finding an old 1987 union agreement in the WRCs archives many years ago which used the OMO or OMBO (One Man Bus Operation) term, other old correspondence referred to one man bus routes etc, never heard of OPO used for buses, this was a term used by Irish Rail however for One Person Operation when trains lost their guards.

Now that I think of it, I think some Autofare routes would have the chute covered when a conductor was on. Certainly I think that was the case with the conductor on the 20B in the 2000s.

It's interesting that the 15A wasn't down as Autofare in 2000 though. There was at least one conductor on the 15 group for many years so is it possible they restricted him to the A when Autofare came in? But would they really not change the route over for the sake of one conductor?! I'm fairly sure he was still going in 2000 but I remember by mid 2000s he'd been given a job in 59.

Another route I've just remembered that still had conductors in the mid 90s is the 41s but they may have been restricted to the 41A which was much shorter and quieter than the other 41s. The 19s may have been another one.

The A was autofare and the other 15s not, I didn't make that very clear

The A was autofare and the other 15s not, I didn't make that very clear

I suspect it was a mistake, by 2000 autofare was in network-wide.

Although route 25 only last appeared two weeks ago, I think it is worthy of inclusion again, only because there is so much happening in this shot. As a quick reminder, the route connects Dublin city centre with Dodsboro going via Lucan Village. In 1985, the city centre terminus was on Middle Abbey Street, as seen here.
    And as can be seen here, it was a very busy street at that time. On the left can be glimpsed Arnotts department store. It holds the distinction of being Dublin's oldest and largest department store, having been founded in 1843. Beside it is the Adelphi cinema. It opened around 1938/39 and closed in November 1995. It had been taken over by Arnotts and is now the exit from the multi-storey car park. Across the road, beside the bus, is the Cameo Cinema. On this date it was showing "Porky's Revenge" and "Revenge of the Nerds". Beside the cinema is PAB Travel which still trades to this day.
    Final item to note is the CIE bus stop, once ubiquitous around the city, but repainted and redesigned over the years since. One CIE stop managed to remain looking pretty much like this until 2018 before it was removed.
    D 787 was delivered new in 1976 and withdrawn in 1994. 04/09/1985

48684122141_be4555b940_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (191) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Final item to note is the CIE bus stop, once ubiquitous around the city, but repainted and redesigned over the years since. One CIE stop managed to remain looking pretty much like this until 2018 before it was removed.

I know of one that still is in situ, though it has been long out of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Although route 25 only last appeared two weeks ago, I think it is worthy of inclusion again, only because there is so much happening in this shot. As a quick reminder, the route connects Dublin city centre with Dodsboro going via Lucan Village. In 1985, the city centre terminus was on Middle Abbey Street, as seen here.
    And as can be seen here, it was a very busy street at that time. On the left can be glimpsed Arnotts department store. It holds the distinction of being Dublin's oldest and largest department store, having been founded in 1843. Beside it is the Adelphi cinema. It opened around 1938/39 and closed in November 1995. It had been taken over by Arnotts and is now the exit from the multi-storey car park. Across the road, beside the bus, is the Cameo Cinema. On this date it was showing "Porky's Revenge" and "Revenge of the Nerds". Beside the cinema is PAB Travel which still trades to this day.
    D 787 was delivered new in 1976 and withdrawn in 1994. 04/09/1985

48684122141_be4555b940_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (191) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Is that a Brinks van outside Arnotts?

Incidentally Arnotts owned part of the cash-in-transit company.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I know of one that still is in situ, though it has been long out of use.

Is this the one up in Ballymount that is my white whale as I've never seen it in the flesh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is this the one up in Ballymount that is my white whale as I've never seen it in the flesh!

It was still there thus summer :)

Advertisement