Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awards Season 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Addle wrote: »
    Who?

Sorry!! Kate Winslet.

Yes Dee_mc your right.
    She just looks awful compared to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

My favourites were Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence and Rachel McAdams.

I thought Saoirse Ronan was very underwhelming, and Jennifer Garner's dress made no impression on me. It struck me as the kind of dress that if Kate Winslet had been wearing it, would have have been deemed her safe, standard fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Loved Olivia Munn's orange dress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

honeybear wrote: »
    Loved Olivia Munn's orange dress

Me too it was actually probably my favourite! I just LOVE it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Alicat wrote: »
    :)

378948.jpeg

I was quite underwhelmed by last nights red carpet. It was probably one of the most disappointing oscars red carpets for a few years. I really liked Olivia Munn and Charlize Theron, but I think Priyanka Chopra was my favourite. The colour of Brie Larsons in the photo on this thread really was beautiful but it looked a different colour on television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just catching up on the red carpet now. Even though I've an assignment due at midnight. Anyway...

Most disappointing RC in years, imo. Loads of dresses that looked like they came straight from Lipsy's debs collection. And some odd hair & make-up choices too. I know a lot of people loved Jennifer Lawrence's look, but I was like "Eh?" That's the kind of hair & make-up I'd wear to work, like!

Olivia Munn's dress was the only one I really loved. That colour!!! Fab. Tina Fey and Reese Witherspoon were like a lesson in "How to wear a certain colour/style". Very similar dresses but Fey looked great whereas Witherspoon was very meh.

So over the Angelina leg.

I have a formal ball every May and usually wait til after the Oscars to go dress shopping in order to get some inspiration. This year, I bucked my usual trend and ordered last week. Glad I did now as nothing rocked my world, tbh.

This is the dress I ordered, just in case anyone cares!

http://www.lightinthebox.com/a-line-princess-v-neck-floor-length-chiffon-refined-evening-dress_p813143.html

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Just catching up on the red carpet now. Even though I've an assignment due at midnight. Anyway...

Most disappointing RC in years, imo. Loads of dresses that looked like they came straight from Lipsy's debs collection. And some odd hair & make-up choices too. I know a lot of people loved Jennifer Lawrence's look, but I was like "Eh?" That's the kind of hair & make-up I'd wear to work, like!

Olivia Munn's dress was the only one I really loved. That colour!!! Fab. Tina Fey and Reese Witherspoon were like a lesson in "How to wear a certain colour/style". Very similar dresses but Fey looked great whereas Witherspoon was very meh.

I have a formal ball every May and usually wait til after the Oscars to go dress shopping in order to get some inspiration. This year, I bucked my usual trend and ordered last week. Glad I did now as nothing rocked my world, tbh.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/a-line-princess-v-neck-floor-length-chiffon-refined-evening-dress_p813143.html

Wow. I'd never pull it off but it is an unbelievable dress. It's stunning. I love the back of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Now that's a dress I'd love to have seen on the red carpet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

So my round-up from last nights red carpet.

Favourites:
    Sofia Vergara - loved the colour and the tailoring (didn't spot her main accessory on the night, her beautiful husband.....!)
    Alicia Vikander - wow, loved the fall and the colour - not the typical colour or style.... Beautiful pastel yellow in a sea of jewel tones. Like!
    Jennifer Garner - what a gorgeous, classic style - loved this.
    Naomi Watts - love, love, love the colour and style. Just works.
    Priyanka Chopra - sheer trend has been overdone at this stage, and often times fails to hit the mark, this dress however, is very classy and elegant.
    Cate Blanchett - stunning.

Moving towards neutral....
    Saorise Ronan - her hair and make-up were very fresh/youthful; in terms of the dress, loved the colour on her.... But not 100% taken with the style. It's not bad though, just not blown away.
    Brie Larson - loved the colour, the belt/ waist detailing was a bit of an odd addition.
    Olivia Munn - not usually a fan of orange, but love this shade on Olivia. Found the dress a bit boring - lack of oomph.... Would have liked a little more detailing or tailoring or maybe some jewellery.
    Margot Robbie - loved the colour & the fabric texture, just not wild about the cut.
    Isla Fisher - not bad, but a bit boring.
    Tina Fey - liked the colour, but a bit plain.
    Reese Witherspoon - again liked the colour, but the bodice detailing looked weird, esp from side angles.
    Lady Gaga - lovely styling, but reckon the drama of the tailoring would have been better served as a dress rather than a jumpsuit
    Jennifer Lawrence - makeup & hair were great. Not 100% with the dress... Not sure what to make of it.

Not a fan:
    Daisy Ridley and Rooney Mara - meh! Not really my style but I can appreciate the aesthetic.
    Olivia Wilde - erm, not wild (ha, how puntastic!) on the dress bodice (read: strips of fabric.) Cream is a nice colour on her though.
    Heidi Klum - oh no!
    Charlize Theron - 2 shoulder straps per shoulder.....just no.
    Kerry Washington - odd belt detailing lets this dress down.... And the pleather/wet-look bodice.
    Kate Winslet - ah, my eyes! What the flip is that garment....because I'm not sure it's even a dress... For shame Ralph Lauren. And Kate usually has it in the bag.

I might throw up some of the after-party dresses in a bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Charlotte Rampling was the best for me. I think Ronan's dress wasn't anything spectacular by itself but it was perfect for her age and skin tone. I think it's an example when look works very well together. I also liked Lady Gaga, Olivia Munn and Thereon. I am not sure about Kate Blanchett. Every thing was so pretty and a bit boring.

Btw I loved the white dress the woman who came on the stage for short movie Oscar wore.

• Advertisement

Great dress. I'd love a formal ball every May! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just because the withdrawal has set in..... :(

A selection of outfits from the Vanity Fair after-party

Jennifer Lawrence
    31AE914100000578-3469008-image-a-67_1456741915231.jpg

Jessica Alba
    31AA923700000578-3469008-Elegant_Jessica_Alba_wore_a_plunging_white_gown_with_high_front_-a-76_1456743699675.jpg

Kate Bosworth
    31ACD5B600000578-3468755-Pretty_Kate_s_floor_length_gown_featured_an_off_the_shoulder_des-a-21_1456726523582.jpg

Diane Kruger
    31AD59E200000578-3468755-Sheer_glamour_Diane_Kruger_stunned_in_a_see_through_red_gown_wit-a-67_1456726526130.jpg

Amy Adams
    31AD3D4A00000578-3468755-Body_con_Amy_flashed_some_leg_in_a_white_and_nude_toned_dress_th-a-26_1456726523785.jpg

Brie Larson
    31AF763100000578-3469196-image-m-191_1456745125074.jpg

Taylor Swift
    31AF691E00000578-3469196-image-a-25_1456745793220.jpg

Kate Upton
    31AEF77F00000578-3469196-image-m-28_1456745801470.jpg

Miranda Kerr
    31AF265500000578-3469196-image-a-27_1456745793224.jpg

Alicia Vikander
    31AF569600000578-3469196-image-m-57_1456757460453.jpg

Lady Gaga
    31AF973900000578-3469196-A_vision_in_white_The_29_year_old_wore_a_peplum_pantsuit_which_f-a-173_1456744783783.jpg

Zac Posen w/Dita Von Teese & Lana Del Rey
    31AEEA8800000578-3468700-His_leading_ladies_Designer_Zac_Posen_found_himself_sandwiched_b-a-45_1456750146262.jpg

Rachel McAdams
    31AFD13200000578-3469342-image-m-22_1456749512163.jpg

Demi Lovato & Gwen Stefani
    31AE4FE900000578-3468970-image-m-18_1456734429295.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Great pics! I like Rachel McAdams dress, big improvement on the green one, but I hate the sandals.
    I like Taylor Swift's look more than I typically like what she wears.
    Maybe I'm just picky but there's nothing I love there, and very few I liked at the main show either - not the greatest awards season fashionwise for me.

I like the style of Alicia Vikander's and Jessica Alba's dresses.

I had to google Kate Upton but her cleavage is ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Ooooh Jennifer Lawrence looks amazing there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Malari wrote: »
    I like the style of Alicia Vikander's and Jessica Alba's dresses.

I had to google Kate Upton but her cleavage is ridiculous!
    Did you see Ashley Graham's red number?!

I think Alicia vikander's mother had a beautiful dress. One of the best actually.

Addle wrote: »
    Did you see Ashley Graham's red number?!

Jesus wept.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I guess boobs are back in fashion :eek:

Although I hate cut-outs and I was hoping they'd go away in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm just, like, the *effort* of changing just for the after party. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Also, is it just me or is Amy Adams actually reverse aging?

• Advertisement

Didn't really like any of the above. Thought Eve (Bono's daughter) looked great (not sure about lipstick). Liked Claire Danes dress too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Claire Dane's dress was lovely, I agree!

Also liked Mindy Kaling's outfit but on mobile so can't find a pic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

As with every year, I'm disappointed that most didn't even try to dress within the theme (sequins /= technology.) It's such a fun theme too. Clare Danes did it perfectly imo. A gorgeous dress with the added extra of lights and fun!

Claire Danes:

met-gala-2016--party-report-dress-claire-danes-01.jpg

I love it!! It's so princess-y :o.

Blake Lively:

met-gala-2016-blake-lively.jpg

Saoise Ronan:

met-gala-2016-saoirse-ronan.jpg

Nicole Kidman:

met-gala-2016-nicole-kidman.jpg

Zoe Saldana:

met-gala-2016-zoe-saldana.jpg

Some of those pictures are huge, sorry! I can resize them if people want.

Emma Stone:

rs_634x1024-160502174839-634-MET-GALA-Arrivals-Emma-Stone.ms.50216.jpg

Um... Katy Perry, apparently:

rs_634x1024-160502173705-644-MET-GALA-Arrivals-katy-perry.jpg

Allison Williams:

rs_634x1024-160502173517-644-MET-GALA-Arrivals-allison-williams.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,119 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Claire Danes reminded me of a Disney princess :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Claire Danes reminded me of a Disney princess :p

Such a cool dress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

As with every year, I'm disappointed that most didn't even try to dress within the theme (sequins /= technology.)

It seems to be me that most did dress within the theme! Unfortunately, most were unoriginal. Metallic - yawn. Though Eve Hewson's dress was gorgeous.

If I was going to it, I'd go with a pixel pattern or something else non-metallic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Metallic = future seems so unoriginal. I personally thought Emma Watson nailed the theme with her dress made from recycled plastics. That's the future I want to live in!

Advertisement