Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses (kinda) Reuniting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Didn't particularly like GnR, but appreciated their abilities, good hard rock bank with good vocalist, great lead guitarist, bass guitarist who played with other alt groups like Janes Addiction etc.

hard rock :rolleyes:
    Bon Jovi? Just pretty boys with nice hair and teeth who played nice easy MTV friendly soft rock for white teenage girls.

Because MTV never played GnR videos LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

nokia69 wrote: »

GnR were once famously described as the most dangerous band in the world creating angst ridden iconic rock songs.. While Bon Jovi were penning cheesy little ditties even your granny would like.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Poll is still hidden?

Anyway for those interested 16 said Yes, 19 said No, 5 said Maybe, 12 said Civil War, so AH seems slightly more apathetic towards this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

Poll is still hidden?

Anyway for those interested 16 said Yes, 19 said No, 5 said Maybe, 12 said Civil War, so AH seems slightly more apathetic towards this so far.

That's only because a "G'n'R are shite" option isn't available.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Look at the state of Axl Rose now

http://i.imgur.com/ALDfY.jpg

• Advertisement

A good band back in the day but more or less the poor mans Bon Jovi IMO

Bon Jovi are safe boring New Joysey pub rock. Horrible mediocre band. At least Guns 'n' Roses were dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not really pushed seeing them today. In much the same way as Id love to see the Stones live, but not the 72-year-old-Jagger Stones. I want to see them in 1972. Or Led Zeppelin. I'd love to see them in 1977. I saw Guns in Slane in 1992. If there was a time machine and I could go back and see another of their shows in '92 (or even better, '88!) I'd jump at the chance. Not gonna happen though...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm kinda iffy on the ''reunion'', would rather Slash continue with Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators...

Axl can't sing anymore sounds dire

Have you actually seen the band prior to the reunion, or are you basing your ''Axl can't sing anymore'' opinion on YouTube videos? Not attacking you, just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Ally Dick wrote: »

That was a brief period in 2013(?) I think and he didn't look like that for long.

He is certainly bigger than he was but not THAT big.

• Advertisement

Picture on the right is actually 6 years old :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

REO Speedwagon kick all their arses

REO Speedwagon kick all their arses

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

A good band back in the day but more or less the poor mans Bon Jovi IMO

and I'm not really a big fan of Axl's comedy work, Bo Selecta was very hit and miss

Bon Jovi have never risen above corporate rock-lite for teenage girls.

Appetite era Guns is about as nasty and visceral as rock music can get. You can nearly smell the cheap wine, cigarettes and heroin when you listen to that album.

4 pages and already full of myths and lies about Axl.

No denying the guy is a **** but a lot of the stuff said about him is bull**** or totally exaggerated too.

As for GNR being a poor mans Bon Jovi?

Haha talk about clueless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

endacl wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    Seriously, Doughty will be fifty years on the road next year, Axl Rose didn't play fifty decent concerts in his life:)

Seriously, Doughty will be fifty years on the road next year, Axl Rose didn't play fifty decent concerts in his life:)
    I refer you to my previous. I'd happily see them in the 70s..

Some of the rumoured ticket prices for this potential tour are insane. If they are true, they will make U2's recent ticket prices seem like 1990s prices in comparison.

It will be interesting to see if Ireland will get a show. Slash seems fond enough of playing here with recent successful shows in the Olympia and a not-quite-sold-out 3 Arena. I got to that 3 Arena show, Slash and his band were magnificent on the night. Great show and totally worth the low enough ticket price of €40.

Axl however nearly caused riots the last time he played Dublin, storming off stage and only returning to complete the bare minimum of a show to cover his ass so the promoter couldn't sue him. He's a bit of a genius as far as songwriting goes and was unarguably one of the great rock vocalists when in his prime, but he's a bit too much of a loose cannon for me to bank on this reunion going smoothly and making headlines for the right reasons.

Also, what will become of the Chinese Democracy-sized elephant in the room? There were songs on that album that I liked, but it is essentially an Axl solo record. Plus lyrically, some of the songs seem like a 'f**k you' to his former (soon to be current, once again) band-mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I will always appreciate Guns and Roses because between them and watching "The Commitments" film I learned how to curse. I wouldn't go to see them because I think it feels like they are beating a dead horse and I wouldn't want them to be bringing me down.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I really think Chinese Democracy wasn't that far off from being a decent album, several of the songs with some different production and Izzy/Slash around could've had a real bite to them.

This reunion will probably make an absolute killing in some countries, but I really doubt Ireland'll be one of them. Those weird countries where they still seem to fill gigantic stadiums will lap it up though. Axl's voice wouldn't've held into middle age even if he was taking great care of himself. I was half thinking of going to Coachella until I heard they were headlining.

Bit weird Izzy isn't part of the reunion, that guy has performed with Axl a fair few times over the years, I believe.

• Advertisement

Yes, hard rock.

And obviously MTV played GnR. They also played the Aphex Twin. You would hardly describe him as "MTV friendly" though.

Person who cannot differentiate GnR and Bon Jovi resorts to :rolleyes: and LOLs to make point. I'm shocked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I would not be that bothered about going to see GnR...cant abide Mr Rose and there would not be room in the 3 arena for his ego and myself.

Saw Slash a few times. Velvet Revolver and Myles Kennedy experience. The latter was in the Olympia...twas a really good gig and it was great to see him perform in such an intimate surrounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They were. Bar a handful of catchy tunes they were by and large mediocre at best. Typical of "hair rock" bands of the time.

They weren't typical at all

They weren't typical at all

There seems to be a certain amnesia about GnR and their impact in the late 80s.

I was there maaaaaaaan, or at least I was in my mid teens at the time. Hated them. That cat like yowling, the top hat on the guitarist, all those riffs...for me the explosion of electronic and house music was where it was at.

But to equate them with Bon Jovi is amusing...

Another thing about New Jersey bands and singers - they feel the need to right about blue collar life and subjects. That's one of the reasons I hate Bon Jovi AND Bruce Sh1tsteen so much. Boring musicians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Another thing about New Jersey bands and singers - they feel the need to right about blue collar life and subjects. That's one of the reasons I hate Bon Jovi AND Bruce Sh1tsteen so much. Boring musicians

Yeah, where are the rock stars writing about the lives of stock analysts, actuaries & marketing consultants? Such an injustice! :mad:

I'm not a fan of either. Because I don't like rock. But again think there is a big difference between them.

Springsteen seems to have a bit more...integrity. These were issues that were relevant to him, themes that he frequently explored in his songs, small town blue collar Americana. I suspect Tunnel of Love was one of his first big departures from that. Meanwhile, Bon Jovi sang the theme from Young Guns, or spoke about cowboys on steel horses (ie. motorbikes, how poetic) or just about anything that would sell their beautiful smiles to teenage girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There seems to be a certain amnesia about GnR and their impact in the late 80s.

I was there maaaaaaaan, or at least I was in my mid teens at the time. Hated them. That cat like yowling, the top hat on the guitarist, all those riffs...for me the explosion of electronic and house music was where it was at.

But to equate them with Bon Jovi is amusing...
    no amnesia here mannnn....you like house music....great....now back on topic....i was there also and gnr afd was huge....and is etched in the history of music, i was more into metal myself but GNR were massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bon Jovi were a like a boy band compared to GNR

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    Some of the rumoured ticket prices for this potential tour are insane. If they are true, they will make U2's recent ticket prices seem like 1990s prices in comparison.

It will be interesting to see if Ireland will get a show. Slash seems fond enough of playing here with recent successful shows in the Olympia and a not-quite-sold-out 3 Arena. I got to that 3 Arena show, Slash and his band were magnificent on the night. Great show and totally worth the low enough ticket price of €40.

Axl however nearly caused riots the last time he played Dublin, storming off stage and only returning to complete the bare minimum of a show to cover his ass so the promoter couldn't sue him. He's a bit of a genius as far as songwriting goes and was unarguably one of the great rock vocalists when in his prime, but he's a bit too much of a loose cannon for me to bank on this reunion going smoothly and making headlines for the right reasons.

Also, what will become of the Chinese Democracy-sized elephant in the room? There were songs on that album that I liked, but it is essentially an Axl solo record. Plus lyrically, some of the songs seem like a 'f**k you' to his former (soon to be current, once again) band-mates.

That was the 2010 show. I was at it and it was as much the promoters/venues fault as it was Axle. I left after 5 songs.

However he returned for another gig since then 2012 or 2013 I think and it went off without a hitch.

Advertisement