Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst thing said by beloved actor (or celebrity)?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

he made this claim

which originates in BFC.

Calm down, calm down ......

The Columbine children were killed in school by gun nut job who used his parents gun bought in local store, Al Gore was spurred to seek gun control laws in his subsequent presidential campaign, Charlton Heston responded to Gore with his 'cold dead hand' speech. 2 years later Michael Moore made his movie about it, where he confronted an early Alzheimer's Heston on his earlier remarks.

Whatever way you look at it, Heston thought it was more important to allow nut jobs their right to bear arms ahead of protecting kids in school by taking the guns out of circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wedwood wrote: »

The Columbine children were killed in school by gun nut job who used his parents gun bought in local store, Al Gore was spurred to seek gun control laws in his subsequent presidential campaign, Charlton Heston responded to Gore with his 'cold dead hand' speech. 2 years later Michael Moore made his movie about it, where he confronted an early Alzheimer's Heston on his earlier remarks.

Whatever way you look at it, Heston thought it was more important to allow nut jobs their right to bear arms ahead of protecting kids in school by taking the guns out of circulation.

I can see by the language you use that there is no point in discussing this with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wedwood wrote: »

How was Al Gore going to take guns out of circulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Ipso wrote: »
    How was Al Gore going to take guns out of circulation?

What bearing do the practicalities, or impracticalities, of Gore's proposal have on what the poster said about Heston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What bearing do the practicalities, or impracticalities, of Gore's proposal have on what the poster said about Heston?

None, sorry it's off topic. I just thought it was a strange statement.

• Advertisement

I know he has just died, and people may not want to dwell on something he said 40 years ago, but David Bowie once said the following in an interview in 1976.

“I’d love to enter politics. I will one day. I’d adore to be Prime Minister. And, yes, I believe very strongly in fascism. The only way we can speed up the sort of liberalism that’s hanging foul in the air at the moment is to speed up the progress of a right-wing, totally dictatorial tyranny and get it over as fast as possible. People have always responded with greater efficiency under a regimental leadership. A liberal wastes time saying, 'Well, now, what ideas have you got?' Show them what to do, for God’s sake. If you don’t, nothing will get done. I can’t stand people just hanging about. Television is the most successful fascist, needless to say. Rock stars are fascists, too. Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars...

Think about it. Look at some of his films and see how he moved. I think he was quite as good as Jagger. It’s astounding. And, boy, when he hit that stage, he worked an audience. Good God! He was no politician. He was a media artist himself. He used politics and theatrics and created this thing that governed and controlled the show for those 12 years. The world will never see his like.”

In his defence, he later attributed these comments to drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That hitler fella, say what you want but he certainly knew how to get shít done. Had his bad points too though I'm sure:D

Advertisement