Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any updates?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Have you seen Steve Ballmer getting up on the atage roaring with the sweat dhripping off him

We had a few video conferences there alright. Bertie even came to visit!! Then to celebrate 15 yrs in Ireland (1999/2000) they brought us to the national exhibition centre and had the Sawdoctors play at us for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I hate "going forward" so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Any updates is the new any updates. Which is old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

"Any Updates?"
    "No"
    "Oh - well can we fast-track this please?"
    "No"
    "erm..any particular reason why not?"
    "No - if I think of one, I'll update you"
    "I don't think you're being a complete team-player here tbh"
    "Grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Oops that is one I use a lot eg when you know you're asking for readily available info, like a quote, and the person doesn't get back to you. So then I can't get job done. So it's invariably, "any update on this, thanks" and yes I do mean "hurry up ya lazy sod, Ffs". Don't see why it's so bad though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Drop dead date.

If I hear it once more I'll drop dead the person that says it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

"Any Updates?"
    "No"
    "Oh - well can we fast-track this please?"
    "No"
    "erm..any particular reason why not?"
    "No - if I think of one, I'll update you"
    "I don't think you're being a complete team-player here tbh"
    "Grand"
    So... how are ya getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

biko wrote: »
    The overuse of "any" in the English language, and boards, is quite astounding.
    How is it over-used?
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Why though? Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Azalea wrote: »
    How is it over-used?

I think he was taking the piss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Larry the Logster

Get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads like this are fine for low-hanging fruit.
    But we need a paradigm shift to adopt a more belt & braces approach.
    You guys need to visualize this from the soup to the nuts, a helicopter view, y'know.
    Maybe we should socialize this over a decaf latté?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Canterelle wrote: »
    Oops that is one I use a lot eg when you know you're asking for readily available info, like a quote, and the person doesn't get back to you. So then I can't get job done. So it's invariably, "any update on this, thanks" and yes I do mean "hurry up ya lazy sod, Ffs". Don't see why it's so bad though!

Your contact has obviously stuck a pin in your idea and will revert to you following their department's thought shower. If they have not reverted by the close of play perhaps you should suggest a brown bag meeting to move things forward or suggest sunsetting that particular proposal.

Some recent work with an American tech giant has left me wondering how much these people could actually get done if they didn't have to wade through so much bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Why are you guys getting so worked up over this.

It's outside your circle of influence so should be outside your circle of concern.....

Lia_lia wrote: »

I concur
    Canterelle wrote: »

When you get 100 of them they might as well be saying 'hurry up ya lazy sod'. Tis just one of those silly 'go-to' business phrases

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

No, calm as a cucumber. It is strange how 'going forward' has had the piss ripped out of it relentlessly while 'any updates' has managed to stay mostly under the radar

Under the radar is one of those phrases right there Sh1tbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Can we walk and talk while we work it out op?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why though? Genuine question.
    Going forward is an cringe-worthy term in a business context, but it's grand for "Robbie Brady is going forward on the left wing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I concur
    Why? I genuinely think people arent actually annoyed by "going forward" and are just saying it. Not one good reason given as to why its so annoying. Its two totally innocuous words making an innocuous phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Why? I genuinely think people arent actually annoyed by "going forward" and are just saying it. Not one good reason given as to why its so annoying. Its two totally innocuous words making an innocuous phrase.
    I dislike it because it contains nothing new whatsoever. As you said, it just means 'from now on' or 'in the future'.

I think it's a great example of people rushing to use a new phrase that contains no new meaning, purely because they think it sounds smart or professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

This thread fails to exploit its core competencies.

Because it's a term used mainly by little smarmy management sh1ts who think they're a step ahead of everyone else when they start bringing out that kinda talk

Advertisement